Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
On the subject of covers, the Dylan Howe jazz versions of the instrumental pieces from Low and Heroes are sublime and brilliant:

https://dylanhowe.bandcamp.com/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/10/dylan-howe-subterranean-bowies-berlin-review

I wouldn't exactly call them covers but they are wonderful arrangements and reworkings of the best ambient work Bowie did, and I believe the man himself really liked them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

The vinyl artwork for Blackstar is amazing. It's all black, and it is a great pressing. Very quiet. It's very different.

I'm agonising whether to buy it or not. Also eyeing the upcoming releases of Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. I can't really justify dropping £60 on vinyl when my record player is one of those lovely £30 ones with cheap built in speakers and a needle that probably more closely resembles the torn edge of a tin can. Plus I already own all of the music, some of it several times over.

Those LPs look so good though...

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Get an original RCA pressing; they used better tapes

I did check out what was available on eBay but secondhand prices are understandably high right now. Are the RCA pressings really that superior that it's worth risking buying a secondhand copy somewhere? I know my local record shops are near enough sold out of Bowie so I'm not expecting to be able to actually see a copy before I buy it any time soon.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

BigFactory posted:

His Springsteen and Iggy Pop are pretty good! The Dylan and whoever number 3 is? tom waits? are not good.

I really enjoyed that - the Lou Reed was great but he needed to narrowly miss a few more notes to make it believable.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Bowie In Berlin by Thomas Jerome Seabrook was also an excellent read if you're interested in that period.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
In a much better version too, and released it as a single. I know at least two people who never really 'got' Outside but who still have Strangers on rotation in various playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Remember when we all thought that the last recorded Bowie song would be Bring Me The Disco King? I could have lived with that, but I'm glad we didn't have to.

• Locked thread