Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Guys, I get the feeling I traveled back in time

Time is not an arrow.
Time is a four-corner simultaneous 4-parp time cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Okay, thank you this has cleared up a lot of my confusion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

orcinus posted:

Time is not an arrow.
Time is a four-corner simultaneous 4-parp time cube.

imagine four parps at the edge of a cliff

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DO NOT TRUST THE PUSHER ROBOT SHOVING IS THE ANSWER

PAK CHOOIE UNF

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Civil meat is people.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Ive been foolish to mock Star Citizen's progress, they just havent turned things on yet.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Madcosby posted:

Ive been foolish to mock Star Citizen's progress, they just havent turned things on yet.

It's best practice to let your backers languish away on a travesty of a tech-demo for months/years while you keep all the good code for yourself

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thoatse posted:

DO NOT TRUST THE PUSHER ROBOT SHOVING IS THE ANSWER

PAK CHOOIE UNF

PUSHING IS THE ANSWER. WE ARE HERE TO PROTECT YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
"hey boss I finished the drink mixing mini game. Should I add it to the PU?"

"no" *scrambles imaginary rubik's cube*

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

sandi please tell chris to turn on the content

haven't your fans suffered enough?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Development priorities change by the hour, depending on the whim of the boss (or his wife). This is totally normal in Game Development. It's alpha, after all, and alpha means none of the promised features are complete turned on.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
For posterity:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6450781/#Comment_6450781

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6468658/#Comment_6468658

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Madcosby posted:

"hey boss I finished the drink mixing mini game. Should I add it to the PU?"

"no" *scrambles imaginary rubik's cube*

"NO! Just wire it up to one of the switches."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVFNH6lYNKE

e: Jesus, the avatar scared the poo poo out of me. Thank you, kind donor.

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Sundowner posted:

just curious but what's the extent of your game dev/coding ability? i ask mostly because i'm actually interested in it because i want to create my Best Great Space Sim Game but i don't know a lick of coding yet.

Just want to chime in because I'm also a developer (full-stack web and some low-level C++ stuffs) and in the past couple of months, I've gotten into game development and shader programming. There are a lot of great resources on the web, but I've found the best resources are paid resources. One of the best courses that I've done to learn UE4 development:

https://www.udemy.com/unrealcourse/learn/#/

The course is a little pricey, but the guy is an excellent teacher and if you are in it for the long haul, it is well worth the price.

Also, I've been lurking here for awhile and have been following the hilarity of SC for about 1000 pages. This entire thread does not disappoint and has been my morning/evening entertainment for the past 2 months.

Favorite posters:

Thoatse, because I'm looking at his avatar right now and it's cracking me up
pgabz for the amazing SC fan videos
g0rf for his godlike effort posting powers, he should seriously write for a game journal or something
Mirificus, for his hard work curating the worst/most entertaining of the RSI / reddit thread cesspool for our shitposting pleasure
Toops for making a game mocking a game that's actually better than the game
Scruffpuff for making generally awesome posts

After this entire pile of poo poo that is SC eventually implodes, and there's no more fun to be had, we should do an SA Star Citizen awards ceremony where all the best shitposters get a shoutout at the end of the thread, like a credit roll at the end of a film.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

eviljack posted:

After this entire pile of poo poo that is SC eventually implodes, and there's no more fun to be had, we should do an SA Star Citizen awards ceremony where all the best shitposters get a shoutout at the end of the thread, like a credit roll at the end of a film.

Set it to Sarah Mclaughlin's "I will remember you" song like in the sad animal commercials.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Toops posted:

My favorite language for everyday programming? Ruby.

Yeah, I said it.

For smashing random tools and stuff out, I completely agree. I hate python with a burning passion.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
wait a minute

what if they just forgot to turn all the content on because they don't actually play their own game?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Set it to Sarah Mclaughlin's "I will remember you" song like in the sad animal commercials.

I've been imaging SC that way since I first read some of the insane reactions from Roberts and realized SC will never live up to 5% of what people think it will be. I guess the OUYA backers had to go somewhere and SC was there to catch/milk them.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sundowner posted:

wait a minute

what if they just forgot to turn all the content on because they don't actually play their own game?

What if they're actually showing Croberts ED and he thinks that's Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Spergs, we have reached the end of an era.

I sold my Cutlass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5EHAqhR1c

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

eviljack posted:

Just want to chime in because I'm also a developer (full-stack web and some low-level C++ stuffs) and in the past couple of months, I've gotten into game development and shader programming. There are a lot of great resources on the web, but I've found the best resources are paid resources. One of the best courses that I've done to learn UE4 development:

The course is a little pricey, but the guy is an excellent teacher and if you are in it for the long haul, it is well worth the price.

Also, I've been lurking here for awhile and have been following the hilarity of SC for about 1000 pages. This entire thread does not disappoint and has been my morning/evening entertainment for the past 2 months.

Favorite posters:

g0rf for his godlike effort posting powers, he should seriously write for a game journal or something
Mirificus, for his hard work curating the worst/most entertaining of the RSI / reddit thread cesspool for our shitposting pleasure

Welcome to the thread :)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I sold my Cutlass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5qqUSTkrho&t=36s

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
lol

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

eviljack posted:

Favorite posters:

Show us on the doll where Chris touched you.

ie: how much are you in for and what's the refund situation?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I sold my Cutlass.

Sorry troll, but Ben has way more than 5 folds.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Star Citizen thread, where all the best shitposters get their 15 minutes of fame. :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I sold my Cutlass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I think you mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlugG0NydTw

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I just wanted to say:

Thank you Derek

Thank you everyone

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i did mess up, i meant this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

yes drowning slowly

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
So wait-- was I right? It sounds like they're contract employees now-- when they were presumably salaried before? If so, that's a bummer for them both.

Maybe I'm misreading this. Is there greater context elsewhere.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

eviljack posted:

Favorite posters:

Welcome - this thread is the nexus of entertainment that Star Citizen unwittingly produced. You're in the right place if you seek enjoyment but want Chris's game to be the source of it. Thanks for the kind words as well!

Referring to a different post on this page, I'm not sure where any of the "percent completed" estimates come from. I've heard between 5% and 10% on different pages. I would conclude, based on promises, express or implied, along with the stretch goals, that we're well below even 1%. Look instead at what we do have, and whether or not we even have it:

- We have some ships. But ... do we? Despite the bald-faced lie that "you're controlling your man who is controlling your ship" and so on, the ships do not handle or move like ships. They have no mass and no handling characteristics that are appropriate for a game of this type, or any type. They jitter around, clip through poo poo, etc. So the very foundation of the game itself does not exist in a usable state, unless by "usable" you mean "make good screenshots to lure people in."

- We have a space station. With broken ship spawning mechanics, clipping problems, and broken doors and airlocks. Also it looks like poo poo.

- We have a "social module" and a "hangar" that serve no function whatsoever, except to look like one day a game may happen. Texture and item pop are rampant, which is odd for a game that looks this dated. Again - a screenshot generator and little else.

- We have the basic engine though, right? I'd say that's also up for debate. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that this hacked-up engine has been pushed as far as it will reasonably go. The point of irreducible complexity was reached long ago. If the engine can't be pushed any further, as many suspect, it will have to be quietly scrapped and replaced, so in effect we have nothing.

- We don't have a patcher either. A program that downloads 30 GB for each release isn't a patcher - it's a downloader. Subtle difference of about 29 GB, so easy for experienced coders to miss, really.

Star Citizen is a total success at what it set out to do: earn Chris enough money to make another horrendous Wing Commander game/movie. Publishers wouldn't touch him, Hollywood wouldn't touch him. No one person with the money he would have needed would ever have touched him. So he created an idea - a dream - and promised that dream to autistics around the world, and they gave him the cash and freedom he wanted to vomit forth the worst game/movie we're ever likely to see in our lives. Star Citizen is nothing more than a token effort - his plan was always just to "try" to make it. Put together what we can, get as far as we can, but always keeping the cash in reserve to finish the only thing he was 100% dedicated to. At some point, barring divine intervention, we will see SQ42. Even hitting "Esc" won't save us.

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

MeLKoR posted:

Show us on the doll where Chris touched you.

ie: how much are you in for and what's the refund situation?

I generally don't spend money on a game before a game is released, but I was really bored one day and spent $45 for the basic package back in October, still in for that amount because I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of fighting for a refund, and it isn't that much.

When I saw the $32K completionist package later on, I thought to myself, who the gently caress spends this kind of money on the game. I wondered if it was some kind of joke. I quickly tried Googling about it, and NO ONE seemed to care that there were ships on sale for thousands of dollars, but no game. It was like the twilight zone, are you seriously telling me NO ONE raised any flags about it? All the gaming mag articles were just like "Star Citizen surpasses $X million dollars, will it be good? Only time will tell, but we're excited, tehe!" Are you loving kidding me? How can anyone not realize that the game is a massive loving scam.

I finally found Derek's blog posts, and I was all like, finally, I'm actually not crazy, there are other people who see the poo poo for what it is. He linked to the SA forum in one of his forum posts and that's how I got here, and after countless hours of hilarity on this thread, it's still loving mind-boggling that SA is still the only place where people actually can see what CR's scam for what it is... WTF.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Scruffpuff posted:

Welcome - this thread is the nexus of entertainment that Star Citizen unwittingly produced. You're in the right place if you seek enjoyment but want Chris's game to be the source of it. Thanks for the kind words as well!

Referring to a different post on this page, I'm not sure where any of the "percent completed" estimates come from. I've heard between 5% and 10% on different pages. I would conclude, based on promises, express or implied, along with the stretch goals, that we're well below even 1%. Look instead at what we do have, and whether or not we even have it:

- We have some ships. But ... do we? Despite the bald-faced lie that "you're controlling your man who is controlling your ship" and so on, the ships do not handle or move like ships. They have no mass and no handling characteristics that are appropriate for a game of this type, or any type. They jitter around, clip through poo poo, etc. So the very foundation of the game itself does not exist in a usable state, unless by "usable" you mean "make good screenshots to lure people in."

- We have a space station. With broken ship spawning mechanics, clipping problems, and broken doors and airlocks. Also it looks like poo poo.

- We have a "social module" and a "hangar" that serve no function whatsoever, except to look like one day a game may happen. Texture and item pop are rampant, which is odd for a game that looks this dated. Again - a screenshot generator and little else.

- We have the basic engine though, right? I'd say that's also up for debate. I don't think it's much of a stretch to think that this hacked-up engine has been pushed as far as it will reasonably go. The point of irreducible complexity was reached long ago. If the engine can't be pushed any further, as many suspect, it will have to be quietly scrapped and replaced, so in effect we have nothing.

- We don't have a patcher either. A program that downloads 30 GB for each release isn't a patcher - it's a downloader. Subtle difference of about 29 GB, so easy for experienced coders to miss, really.

Star Citizen is a total success at what it set out to do: earn Chris enough money to make another horrendous Wing Commander game/movie. Publishers wouldn't touch him, Hollywood wouldn't touch him. No one person with the money he would have needed would ever have touched him. So he created an idea - a dream - and promised that dream to autistics around the world, and they gave him the cash and freedom he wanted to vomit forth the worst game/movie we're ever likely to see in our lives. Star Citizen is nothing more than a token effort - his plan was always just to "try" to make it. Put together what we can, get as far as we can, but always keeping the cash in reserve to finish the only thing he was 100% dedicated to. At some point, barring divine intervention, we will see SQ42. Even hitting "Esc" won't save us.

Star Citizen was 100 completed when 2.0 released. Every patch it grows 1% more completer. By 3.0, it will be 10,472% complete, and then they will remodel all the textures, redo all the ships, to recomplete the game.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

eviljack posted:

I finally found Derek's blog posts, and I was all like, finally, I'm actually not crazy, there are other people who see the poo poo for what it is. He linked to the SA forum in one of his forum posts and that's how I got here, and after countless hours of hilarity on this thread, it's still loving mind-boggling that SA is still the only place where people actually can see what CR's scam for what it is... WTF.

Here's a treat: Eightace is a CiG dev who posts here.

Read the last few months of his posts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Actually someone was following that and sent me a FB Messenger link. It was surreal.

I'm glad somebody else saw that, it was really bizarre.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ravane posted:

Star Citizen thread, where all the best shitposters get their 15 minutes of fame. :)

some day I'll be on a "best shitposters" list

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ravane posted:

Star Citizen was 100 completed when 2.0 released. Every patch it grows 1% more completer. By 3.0, it will be 10,472% complete, and then they will remodel all the textures, redo all the ships, to recomplete the game.

Back sometime in the 90s I went to E3 when it was in Atlanta. It was very cool - I met Roberta Williams (what a tiny woman) who was cool, met a lot of devs and hardware vendors, and got to see a lot of early tech in its infancy. I met a handful of rear end in a top hat devs too, like the guys who formed the shortlived Gathering of Developers. I also saw the KISS bandmembers walking around with epic levels of disinterest.

We take things like voice chat as a given today, but I remember being at a booth with this super primitive game where you could wear headsets to talk to other people playing, and they were gushing about it - "That audio is going over the network! Imagine how this could change gaming!" - and it was horrendous, but cool in retrospect.

The highlight of the show for me was a private showing in a closed room from a little company called Verant - they were showing a little tank game called "Armorgeddon" (which was later renamed "Tanaris"). In the center of the room was a little demo, using that engine, where you could create a primitive polygonal elf character and swordfight in a closed arena. I didn't know it at the time, but I was playing a very early tech demo of what would become "Everquest".

That tech demo, I say with zero exaggeration, was more feature complete than what CIG released to the PTU as a "significant portion of the game". These people are completely, thoroughly, and unabashedly full of poo poo. Each time I really look at it, I'm surprised anew.

• Locked thread