Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I got mad respect for sandi

an over the hill failed actress made this

happen just by marrying a washed up game dev and knowing how to play nerds. queen cersei never even pulled poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

Thought experiment: which would be worse?

1) SQ42 releases (:mmmhmm:) and it does poorly. Metacritic reviews sit between 4 and 6 for the professional critics (and the usual 0 or 10 from people). Online review sites start furiously retconning their earlier pole-polishings of the IP with retrospectives like "What Went Wrong With Star Citizen", flying in the face of years of red flags and accumulated evidence that they should have known the answer to that question for a drat long time. Sandi goes full Baghdad Bob and starts bombarding the web with propaganda, and they double-down on the MMO portion (SQ42 was just an appetizer!) Backers polarize even more violently - some contritely end up here, others accelerate their downward spiral.

2) SQ42 releases and it is average. Metacritic reviews hover around 7 and 8. There is nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing really right or standout either. It's basically the space version of Id's "Rage". Review sites give half-hearted reviews that praise the visuals, and offhandedly mention that's it's somewhat derivative and predictable, with less than stellar writing and voice acting, but if you need to scratch the space game itch, you could do worse. Spergs play it and are dissatisfied to a degree, not enough to go apeshit, but it's not quite good enough for them to really feel like the bar has been raised, either.
If SQ42 comes out and is playable by any definition then they're gonna call it a tour de force and expect goons to eat their words. these are people who claim they got chills from Gary oldman sleepwalking through babby's first rousing speech.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Gryphon0468 posted:

Do it. Then you all might choke on each other's dicks rather than talk to other people.
Wait I thought you were doing the chillaxed lol goons roll with the punches routine now? poo poo this thread is hard to follow.

I missed the bit where seraph was a pedo too did his exhibitionist retard girlfriend turn out to be underaged?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

EminusSleepus posted:

I bet that Ben's reply would be different if the result of the poll is in favor of YES I want monetization in Star Citizen

wait so this is un-monetized Star Citizen? :psyduck:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

No ships have been sold. People making voluntary donations may have received ships depending on the size of their donation, but nobody sold them a ship.

ctrl+f ships and replace with e meters and OT levels

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Friendly Tumour posted:

an aggressively retarded redditor. Originally got banned for having extremely hosed up opinions about children and sex. Thrives on negative attention so keeps reregging. Didnt think these kinds of trolls even existed anymore, he's like a relic from the internets past
iirc he was also the one who posted a photo of his own arse in a pair of women's panties with a message for the thread wedged in the back

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Philip Seymour Hoffman (:smith:) as christ Roberts, Wayne knight as ben lesnock, turn it into a lardy low stakes remake of The Master

with sandy Gardiner as herself and The Rock as Dsmart.

alternative sandy casting: chain mads mikkelsen to a sunbed for a week.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 10, 2016

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The fat guy in the latest ATV is Chris Roberts' brother right? he could not look less happy to be forced bantering with Sandi. and was she always this poo poo or did she just stop trying?
they just 'noticed' that everyone was being rounded up wailing in despair and fed into a giant sausage maker. Good eyes stimpire guys. Its like that RAZERRR meltdown thread in space.

E: see you in the 'pire

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Ben should be glad everyone itt focuses on his lol corpulence and not the rest of his hilarious depressing existence

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

1500 posted:

It actually only took him 2 years.

Quoting several hundred posts late because what the actual gently caress :psyduck:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

wait was he disembowelled or shat himself?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

cat is a mogwai

Junk Puncher posted:

Holy poo poo guys... A couple years ago I put about $140 into this game, dicked around on the SC forums for a couple months, then kind of forgot about it.
My pc is old and can't run it, but about a year ago I helped my cousin build a gaming rig. I have a sort of running joke with him that every game he plays isn't star citizen, because star citizen is gonna be such an awesome game and he should get into it.
Anyway I was curious how development is going and I've spent the last few hours catching up and ... Holy poo poo guys.

Anyone want to buy my ships?
you're lucky we live in the hosed up splinter universe where $140 somehow isn't an insane amount to spend on spaceship pictures

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Does ben lesnick seriously wear that necklace thing everywhere? I assumed it was just for the shows. Major cwc vibes.
This is perfect. the bitter disbelief at the idea of people playing the game like a game.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

'With all my knowledge and intuition I can never entirely predict or own you. I can feed the caterpillar, I can whisper through the chrysalis, but what hatches follows its own nature and is beyond me' - an obese German accountant in camo fatigues, to his space ambulance

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

is rainbow hair guy actually the stimperor? no joke replies please I have to know

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

shitizens are just knockoff goons and b'tak is their bitchmade version of Otterman

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think we're reaching the point where we can start pitching the removal of the r/starcitizen moderation team in favor of a group that is more neutral and can facilitate more balanced discussion. And they are us.
at least 1 posts itt already :ssh:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

2.3 combat previews are up

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

To be fair photobashing as was said before is completely reasonable for concept art, but probably not for posters which you are selling/giving out. I don't blame the artist because they probably had no idea it was going to be turned into a piece of merchandise.
It was Ryan archer. He definitely fuckin did.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Revisiting previous threads is a good way to pass the drought periods. way better than code bullshit or people saying DS is actually kind of an assclown like it's news, anyway.

so far I'm enjoying the goons aghast that SC raised :siren:$46 million :siren: with nothing to show for it. The cultists are gonna turn on them soon, right??

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

scrote citizen

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Hey guys

just wanted to say I had a great time blasting of monsters and men on my new speaker while catching up on branson's tantrum, the glassdoor poo poo and CoDron 42 this morning. tyvm and stop fighting. :unsmith:

e;for catte

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Well at least one of these people is doing god's work o9

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol.

"There are too many people watching, they could never scam anyone ever!"

-Said by everyone that's ever been scammed, ever.
I think this is a 'scams happen to other people' thing, if you're sheltered it's hard to get your head around how loving simple it is. Yes, they can just lie and take/blow your money. Yep, they said one thing then did another. It's that easy for them. Add in some sunk investment and a really loving weird rose-tinted view of Croberts and they'll try every possible combination of excuses before they admit to themselves they got scammed.

for the record, still don't think this is an intentional scam - although the crew at the top are definitely skimming more than their share, I think 90% of backer funds are going right where they said they would: into a poo poo game developed by morons. in a way a scam would be better, the money is literally being burned here.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I hate to get sidetracked with the issue of money itself, how much was "pledged", whether or not the person can afford it, etc. It's immaterial to the case at hand. If some billionaire gave Chris Roberts $45 for an Aurora, then that billionaire is a loving idiot for being tricked by one of the most obvious scams in gaming. He is an idiot because he believed a known hack with a history of failure. That's all this comes down to. It doesn't matter if M0MA, or anyone else, can afford to lose the money, or if it's "disposable income", or whether or not a game is worth what they paid.

What matters is that they were tricked. Chris took the money, acted in bad faith, and now they are not going to get a game. It's 100% preventable in this case, because the scam is obvious unless you actually have a developmental disability of some type, but that's really the core issue. People are getting tricked by a scam artist. It doesn't matter if the money won't be missed - the principle here is that Chris shouldn't have it
Absolutely this o9

putting 4k into this makes you a twat regardless of whether you can afford it and something something disposable income dece six figgies. Even apart from the whole 'being taken for a ride by talentless poached egg man from the 90s' thing an adult old enough to be earning a good living should also be old enough to know that taking what you have for granted and being wasteful as gently caress with money are bad things even if your wallet can take them.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

We finally cracked it

Open development means taking the time to personally make your customers feel bad for not liking the product they paid for

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Imagine if these clowns had to interact with a decent sized community of normal gamers

They can barely keep their poo poo together dealing with backers who couche their tepid dissatisfaction in this nicey nicey kid gloves bollocks, picture them working on a real game with the actual public :laffo:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

D1E posted:

loving Derek seriously just steals the best poo poo from this thread to post on his blog, without attribution. Gorf's chart. Liarbetes.

It's pretty disgusting actually.
Tbf his only readers are the particularly masochistic goons and Legal (:staredog:) so its more like forum quoting

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Out of all the idiocy on my channel thses are still my favourite

:laugh: It just taps into my childish humour perfectly
Asperger: The Lost Starbender

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

A 4k+ investment in Eating Microwave Dinners Alone simulator

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Is it wrong for me to think that Sandi is hot? Even if it is in a sleazy heartless harpy kind of way?
I disagree but i really want to bang queen cersei so I understand you, friend.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

iron buns posted:

This seems to be a recurring theme.
I feel like cancer guy when he tried the PU. something is going over my head here right? They aren't actually saying actors probably worked for cheap because they were recently in successful visible thibgs ?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Lazrin posted:

they're gonna sell at least 250,000 units in a retail/release scenario just from new marketing to old fans, curious onlookers or those who aren't into crowdfunding.
loving :lol: not even most SC fans want SQ42. They think it'll make a bomb and fund SC's continued development because 1) they think the dirty console COD crew will lap up a wanky generic scifi shooter 2) MARK HAMIL GARY OLDMAN GILLIAN ANDERSON (because that sells games right?).

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

yay for SC literary references :)
Im so broken I thought it was a zybourne clock reference for some reason.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

imperialparadox posted:

Not nearly as exciting as refund-gate, but it's funny what information CIG devs drop while WTFO is being trolled on his stream...

Remember grabby hands? CIG's revolutionary new system where citizens would be able to open up a cargo crate, pick up individual items, manipulate them with their hands, and stack them and put them wherever they want?

Turns out it's really just a fancy name for the pick up and use commands, just like in any other game:

...well, not just any game I guess. He specifically calls out the system as not being as capable as the clunky item system used in the Elder Scrolls games.
This is great because the tubby guy on INN was going 'what happened to grabby hands?? why haven't we seen grabby hands?' in that really earnest, plaintive way when he turned on CIG over their lovely openness.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

lol I thought FUD was another thread in joke not a thing they actually loving say to eachother

does btak actually scream 'I feel grief!'? Has bens iron cross actually been up his rear end? I don't know what's real any more.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

XK posted:

"Skeetroller showed up on http://www.pcinvasion.com/interview-streetroller-star-citizen-backer-got-2560-refund as well. How strange.

They just have to make names for everything.
the nicknaming is one of the weirdest things citizens do. Its like a hare krishna dance of impotent rage tromping through the comment sections.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

WebDog posted:

Oh the cult thinking goes all the way back to the WCNews days. The flashpoint is somewhere around 1997 when EA realises there's no chance in hell that committing to another multi-million dollar space shooter is economically viable and shelves the franchise, which is capped off by Robert's golden handshake out the building.

At that time there's rumours of Privateer 3 and a WC Online, which rattled around till about 2003, then everything went completely dead. If you read through the news the desperation for a new WC game is so intense they assume that any job listing could be a potential development for a new game. It effectively becomes waiting for Godot.

You have to also remember WC was the "one true space sim" with anything else poor imitators as evidenced by the WCNews crew buying and destroying copies of Freespace 2 having blamed of it ending the space sim genre, overlooking the fact the WC series had quite a bit to contribute to that, namely it being shallow flight sims wrapped around a bad CYOA TV show.

So to rationalise a cause to why there's no more games the WCNews team branded EA as evil incarnate who stamped out good ideas.
As no future game is coming ardent fans team together to make the Vega Strike engine which results in vicious infighting over who is making the purest mod worthy continuation of the golden calf.

Ben settles into his role as archivist striving to recover the remains of Origin's System's mainframes before they are scuttled and proclaiming himself to be the keeper of the lore who has links to the creators. He also lords over the mod makers by having direct access to the original files that they could use to create high quality versions of backgrounds and ships, thus being completely accurate. The community further is split by his picking and choosing over who is worthy enough to see the sacred files and the cult of loaf slowly gets developed by his staunch defenders who create the collection of IRC logs of funny.

The only other excitement in the void beyond the odd obituary or retrospective was when EA cranked out Arena to stop the IP going cold using Lesnick as a PR pufferfish to calm the waters, as it basically was a crummy top-down arcade shooter. Ben is given a flight to EA Canada to sperg out over the game's background text and play it to glowing previews. The irony of him wearing an EA hat isn't lost on detractors who see him as tragically obsessed.

At around the same time frame Robert's was at the helm of a sinking ship regarding Freelancer, which by 2000 had been declared vaporware and DA had run out of money as their movie making side venture hadn't quite taken off.
Microsoft realising their publishing deal was in strife moved in to save the company on the condition that Roberts leave and the game's ambitions scrapped. Again this only fuels the fan's beliefs that publishers are evil and a true creative should not be interfered with.

So at the end of the day after 15 years of speculation Roberts announces he's crowdfunding a new game and a a pack of hungry fans who are now in their thirties with "disposable income" throw cash at him to prove their theory that publishers are evil.
The other mental factor is they believe they are also having some say or control in how to play their game with the only real comparison being EVE which is setup as a gankfest controlled by Russians and Goons.

Put all that together and you have the start of a very weird cult.
:golfclap: have some Goon Gold, this is a pro read for those of us who had never heard of WC or croberts before this mess.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

and with SANDI GARDINER as 'Woman Who Always Looks Photoshopped Into Her Own Life'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Will actually match moma's pledge if I can have danny dyer pour me a hairy Roberts.

• Locked thread