Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I thought goons usually disliked rich people who send their lawyers in to suppress any criticism.

I mean yeah burn out Reddit scummery, but if you think Derek is doing this for any reason than feeding his vast, ugly, unearned ego then you're a sucker.

Best case - the Swedish mafia whack everyone involved. This game was an obvious shitshow even back when you people put in your 'modest' $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dunno, some of the Christ-Roberts-suceptible types seem to have accepted him as a new lord and saviour.

Yeah, go on Derek! Smack that crippled kid! Ruin his life hahaha kidding honest

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's not so much the legalese, more the 'lol beat him up irl hay kid ya got no legs'. It reads like something out of an Anita Sar-whatever-her-name-is Reddit thread. Will a brave goon shop us some pics of his mangled corpse next?

To be honest the best part is that (correct me if I'm wrong) Smart's initial case against Croberts was a crock of poo poo. It's only because all these idiots came pouring out of the woodwork at the slightest criticism, spewing literal slander, that there's a legal slapfight at all.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kordansk posted:

The internet is not some place where you can sit around and talk poo poo and never expect repercussions especially if you try and screw with someone's financials and threaten their wellbeing.

Come on, what do you think this thread has been doing for months? We've made plenty of things as dumb as, say, Kate Russell's bad video that got lawyer'd. I'm all for seeing neckbeards get a slap, but don't act like this doesn't boil down to which side is more willing to waste their lawyers' time.

E: I mean yeah some of the brown sea's stuff deserves a legal kicking. But a bigger portion by far is trivial bullshit with no hope of slandering Smart's reputation any more than he does himself every time he goes on a 'burn them to the ground' rant.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 28, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kordansk posted:

Okay real post. There is absolutely a line here. That line is crossed when you actually go out of your way to personally threaten someone. Mocking Sandi because of some random story about pubes, or the complete lack of progress on the game, or the fact that they can't keep project managers or middle/upper level management employed, or the fact that refunds are coming from random companies that you never sent money to, or... I can keep going... none of that is harmful. When you create a campaign that actively targets an individual and begins reporting their social media because you don't agree with them, or you threaten to 'destroy' someone because you disagree with their assessment of your obsession with a game, you have taken it too far.

D_Smart posted:

So our new contender for my WIP blog (latest PDF export) on the abusive White Knights in the Star Citizen community, is Nick Butler (that's him in the wheelchair) aka /user/NitroTypat/ aka @Bipii_4084.

If you look at his Reddit and Twitter feeds (1, 2, 3, 4), he is one of my top harassers (I'm rounding them all up like cattle, for the blog, then I'm going to link to all their social media feeds).

Hey Nick, if you don't knock it off, I'm going to have my people get in touch with your Dad in Virginia and let him know you're harassing people online. No further warnings. Go play a game or something.

Individual to individual threat? Check. Social media reporting? Check. Legalese that's by all means more threatening than online threats of incredibly unlikely violence? Check.

Surely you can see Smart's pursuit of total nobodies (and this thread's gleeful support for it) leans uncomfortably close to the brown sea poo poo you described. And I'd say the same wheelchair or not. It's the cultists' own fault and they deserve it, but SC goons are losing their moral high ground pretty drat quickly. Goons are now rolling in the poop and eating it and adding their own poop to the pile. Half this thread has now become the entertainment.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If Smart was on Crobert's side, half this thread would be receiving babby's first legal notices, because most of those awful libellous slanderers in the crosshairs never made threats either.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

D_Smart posted:

^this. That is all.

None of them are actually doing those things. They're talking about them like morons on a public forum, because they're internet tough guys. Meanwhile we're just... uh... planning how to call them IRL and humiliate them in front of dad, or making them take down their dumb edited video of you saying you have a small dick. You know, tasteful stuff.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I dare say he's a young adult with what seems to be a very hard handicap. I doubt DS knew about his disability from the get go. Young adults do also get treated differently by the law (at least in germany). Because there is a certain age range in which people are legally adults, but still tend to do a lot of stupid poo poo.

He knew because he was giving us pics from post one.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bit late, but

quote:

I would say as far as the UEE’s concern and as far as your point of view, the Vanduul are out for the destruction of humanity. Who’s to say there isn’t some stuff longer term that you may discover that has a bit more backstory to the Vanduul but generally they’re sort of an opposition to the UEE in the same way the Visigoths and the Vandals and antiquities were in opposition in the Roman Empire.

They don’t think or approach things the same way that we do as Humans and so they sort of see us and our planets as weak and as resources to harvest basically. They take what they want where they want.

So vanduul make up most of the empire's military and officer class, are often invited to settle on uee worlds, and have more political clout than the emperors space court Gary Oldman?

SC lore is poo poo, their history is poo poo too. Not surprised neo nazis are interested in it.

Furthermore :gary:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 10, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Paladinus posted:

It's a :gary:pAAArp production.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MilesK posted:

Not sure how often this happens, but funding hit a low of $48 in an hour last night. I'm still waiting to see a glorious $0 hour.

Wait, so there's been some muppet or other giving money at least once every hour since whenever? :catstare:

That'll be the Mafia's hourly direct debit from the dirty money deposit account, I guess?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah I don't think winning the streetfights and killing the the millitias with your own millitia really counts as being a peacemaker

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Eeeeh enough of that let's look at some more pictures" :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

HexDog posted:

This isn't so bad if you pretend the full game is out and they are just releasing new content for a game that exists.

What do you mean I can't imagine cool space battles if I haven't purchased the relevant ships now can I?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol i just remembered that the price for elite dangerous plus lifetime future expansions and beta accesses... $100

or a fascism aerospace industries spesship for $350

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ahahah the bridge can rotate... because...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Swapping seats is a thing of the past... welcome to the future :c00lbert:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pretty handwriting is a dumb thing to be proud of.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So do real life jet fighters do the whole 'contact scanning beepbeepbeepbeepbeep scanning beepbeepbeepbeep contact beepbeep contact scanning' nonstop from the moment they leave the runway?

Because apart from usual beta crashing and obnoxious twitch folk, that is the most annoying thing on all these streams.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Surely in our promised space sim repair involves replacing physical components? And in a universe with any fidelity, some of those would be on the exterior of the ship? We must be able to perform immersive repairs outside the hull while the ship in under way.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Meanwhile, in Elite...

http://gfycat.com/AgileUncommonDogwoodtwigborer

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There was never going to be a 'lawsuit'. Those are your words not mine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So I did a test. I knew literally nothing about Wing Commander (the games) and decided I would watch an entire playthrough of 3 and compare it with the blurb of "The Old Man".

Is CR so creatively bankrupt that he literally took Col. Blair or whatever his name is, aged him 20 years and gave him a lovely nickname?

Not only is the blurb so generic that my view started to fade and I forgot most colours but they couldn't even come up with a different character in any way, shape, or form?

Might as well call it Bland Citizen - It's something alright! *Fart*

Fan theory - star citizen only has three characters, but because of alien space magic they are split into multiple bodies!

The gruff military man who gets poo poo done but cares deep down.

The no good by the book paper pusher flying a desk

The foreigner come to take are country from us

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Geguri Gegogi posted:

So I decided to start a competitor to SC, to be the bestest drat space sim game in die welt (BDSSGIDW)

I've currently have the first ship as a backer reward for everyone who wants to invest with no return, uh, I mean donate

You can visit my patreon at:

Is it no step because there will never be a ship available to step on?

I say excellent fidelity old boy I'll order a thousand just as soon as I've converted my garage into the Galactica's flight deck

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

the point is that there are a lot of systems and regulations in place for the traditional investment process

Trump bypasses them and as a result he has a pile of failed vanity project businesses :gary:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wafflz posted:

As much as I would like to play a game like what was pitched I would much rather see it fail just to spite the awful community that has sprung up around it.

Yeah by this point even if it released as promised I'd feel kind of dirty playing it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The name's Brand.

James Brand

:c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9FzgsF2T-s

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 22, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

They do, its literally always "but its boring and has no soul to it" whenever Elite is mentioned.

lol yes it is elite that has no soul - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk it is important that no matter the cost to our resources we fight the enemy the US navy in space is hard but fair thank you congressmen of the human federation

I mean Elite ~lore~ is pretty thin on the ground but at least it lets you imagine cool stuff. SC gets right in your face with its grey rear end setting of some republicans bumming around and their good friend DrabCorp PLC.

Also elite's romans actually have aristocrats and clients and stuff so that's cool.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I maintain that anyone who bought into this back then deserved it :colbert:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol at the idea of anyone in the games industry having ~power~

i'm sure the CIA will be in touch

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You know if I was living the millionaire lifestyle with private jets and personal chefs, I think I'd probably feel really upset and inadequate knowing that I was just playing make believe with company money.

Like, either do it properly or not at all.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's like mediocre city traders who -rent- a ferrari on a ridiculously short term basis. You know you're pretending so just stop.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Agrajag posted:

someone tell this guy to: GET OFF THE loving INTERNET AND GO INTERACT WITH REAL PEOPLE!!!

leave the real people alone please

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DOMDOM posted:

I am personally, in real life, pretty much a selfish piece of poo poo. I am not a good person. I make decisions without really considering other people, or if I do consider them it's briefly because frankly I don't care. If people question me on my bad selfish decisions I'll often lie because it's easier to make an excuse than it is to have a discussion about why you skipped so and so's birthday, or this event, etc.

Professionally I am in sales. People love me. People think I'm the nicest person in the world. A real straight shooter.

This isn't some metaphor, I'm just trying to point out that your rationale here is completed hosed, I'm the real deal. The greatest trick an rear end in a top hat ever pulled is convincing the world they are a nice person. And guess what, there's a lot of us out there.

badass psychopath spotted don't mess :allears:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some people can be nice to others while actually thinking bad things about them. And sometimes, they later reveal what they really think.

Come on people it's not exactly a superpower.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Because it's fuckin cool? I mean SC ia a joke but that's a drat sexy helmet.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I'm sorry to say this, Mrs Tea, but it looks like Strategic has contracted citizenitis. There is no cure, we can only pray for an inexpensive death.

I have bad news. Strategic Tea was found suffocated today. He seemed to have been trying to build a helmet around his head from banknotes and papier mache.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

To be fair anyone more than vaguely invested against this 'game' should be almost as ashamed as anyone invested in favour of it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't know what's funnier, a goon unironically claiming to be an Internet Puppet-Master, or that someone is actually falling for it.

This isn't the Eve Online thread??? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This is loving magnificent. I've come around.

'He gazed up at the enormous thread. Three thousand and three hundred pages it had taken... He had won the victory over himself. He loved Star Citizen.'

• Locked thread