Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
janssendalt
May 7, 2015
The PU will be playable in 2016, and you're all gonna cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
Booooo, get out of here cybertrolls.

I'm ashamed of the stupid poo poo I wrote and write all the time, how about you?

We can't all be Dr. Derek Smarts.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Hey janssendalt do you think the people at CIG love you for poo poo like this? No one respects a toady you mong.

Hey MeLKoR

Nice nickname! :spergin:

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In the extremely likely event it isn't, do you have plans regarding coping with the loss of your jpgs to space bankruptcy? It's going to be real rough when you can't even go down with the ships because it doesn't exist.

Yeah, I will feel like a bigger idiot than how I feel now.

But you know what they say: life is a tale... told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing.

Next time I'll just put my money into better things... like a charity. Or cocaine.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

AP posted:

im gay

Oh ok

I can respect that

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

AP posted:

Thank you, the part I'm most looking forward to in the PU, the fabulous clothing options.

Cool story, friend

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

well this thread is certainly showing its teeth.

cant we all just hold hands and talk about life in the 'verse?

I would enjoy this

can we sing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhV_3kx9knA?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

fuctifino posted:

Hey janssendalt

Did you buy a premium account?

Not yet

I will buy one in two weeks. With Capt. Undies help

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

The preferred term in the verse is "fabulous vestments" thank you, citizen.

hahahahahaha I'm a loving idiot

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

can CIG get its own The Hole now?

who would they put inside first?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Deki posted:

I think the wheelchair guy should probably be left alone (as should most of the people involved), but I'm not going to pretend I didn't laugh at any of this.

Amethyst posted:

It's incredible how easy it is to reduce the big hard internet men of Star Citizen crew into puddles of tears when you suggest that maybe stalking a wheelchair bound cripple isn't a cool and badass thing to do. Perhaps the tightneing you feel in your chest when confronted with your own shortcomings should be harnessed for personal growth, rather than going into a panic and posting the loving get out frog 12 times in a row.

Agreed

DSmart might have his reasons to appear like an indolent warlord, yet I gather most of you at least a little bit of common sense and know what can happen when a person, troubled as a handicapped teenager can be, gets exposed to the cruel depths of the interwebs

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Woah, this forum just took a very dark turn.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

pftc posted:

Derek is put into an awkward position.

Chris Roberts called Derek a smelly shitface and sent Crippled Dick Wulf to attack for him.

The crippled kid wanted to have Derek SWATed. https://archive.is/h9BMi

What's Derek supposed to do? Let it happen?

are you sure you can read?

I mean, I won't judge you if you're retarded.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
Some people here spend more time and energy every week on criticizing the people who have put money into the project than the average pledger has put into making the money to pledge for the game

:downsbravo:

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
I dreamt about it yesterday:
The PU will be out by July 2016
And it will be the best

Derek will cry
Beer will cry
AP will cry

You all will cry

The only ones happy will be Eonwe, because Bernie will win, and Kimsemus, because he will be allowed to join Goonrathi, like the prodigal son returning to its home

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

jaegerx posted:

I forget. Did we allow your weird rear end into sfd? I want to be sure before I insult you again

Yes

You can still insult me, papi

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

jaegerx posted:

No the only dentist I insult is eonwe but that's his kink. He loves the dirty stuff.

hahaha, I'm jelaous

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
this game is coming out
and it's going to be the best

http://savid.technology

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

WebDog posted:

This mindset is something that's come out of the Origin Systems.
Roberts was a coding hotshot who moved from the UK and was hired by Garriott to work at Origin. Having a bit of cheek he talked Garriott into letting him create his game concept called "Squadron" which basically was a sci-fi take on Battlehawks - the US/Japan pacific theater in space with wrathful cats and borrowing off Niven and other sci-fi plots of the day.

At Origin he was given freedom to sink time and effort into this game and this was not cheap.
In 1990 a typical big game budget was around $100,000 to $200,000 - Wing Commander allegedly cost $1,000,000.
Origin insiders allude to some creative accounting to hide that fact from Roberts
- but despite the success of WC and Ultima - it wasn't enough to save Origin's coffers and EA moved in to acquire in 1992. Only because of the addons and voice packs did Wing Commander 1 break even.

Some say that Robert's pushing the envelope for production funds on a game really ruined the game industry - it meant a massive risk could equal a reward and people began investing heavily into quality over quantity as it began the push of the industry into hit-machine mode and publishers started focusing on sure-fire successes over taking a risk.

With EA Roberts gets lucky again as the FMV fad kicks into full drive and his dream of creating movies becomes apparent through Wing Commander 3 and 4 - a record investment for EA who only funds WC IV on the provision that it would be done in twelve months.

That also hit EA hard - by 1996 the space sim genre had been slowing down and 12 million isn't an easy thing to magically recoup. The RTS genre is the new big-thing and people are adopting mice and keyboard over the venerable joystick.

The aftermath of WC's cash crater almost scuppered Garriott's plans for Ultima Online in which he had to beg for $200,000 or so to develop a proof of concept that basically was hacking in multiplayer into Black Isle. MMO's back then were a high risk concept and it wasn't until thousands of people started paying $2 for beta CDs then EA realized they had a hit on their hands and a way to start recovering costs.

But where Garriot had gotten his rewards Roberts was being kept at arms length over the possibility of a Privateer or Wing Commander Online. No doubt it was a frightening prospect to many at EA and Roberts saw the writing was on the wall so he went off and founded Digital Anvil to create his dream online space game, believing the technology of 1999 was enough to create his dreams!

interesting
any sources to back any of these claims, though?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
hey guys and goons
this game is coming out

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Dapper Dan posted:

So...from alpha to product in a year? Alright then.

maybe they are referring to 2.0 hitting the normal servers next year instead of PTU?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

notoriousman posted:

So they're suddenly claiming alpha 2.0 is right around the corner after outright refusing to give a date at CitCon? Do they seriously have made multicrew working when they can't even stop their golf carts from exploding and/or falling through the world? And I thought they also claimed Squadron 42 episode 1 was coming with 2.0 instead of being its own module.

I just want to hear what the "doc" has to say on this.

:google: more

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

AP posted:

It could be a Star Citizen mug.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14810-Travel-Mugs-Are-Here

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Dark Off posted:

:google: result is two weeks. :gary: Paaaarp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClfU2NStY

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
every day I come in here and post about the scam
every day I keep coming back
I write about the everything and the everyone
about the fat, the bitch and the crazy

every day I hope something happens
sitting here, wanting excitement
with fierce resolution
smelling my own farts

I campaign against the evil, the unjust and the uppsala mafia
I confront the reality of their illusionist act

my own failures and problems teach me to be
a champion of truth and sincerity
a spy, a lawyer, an accountant, a doctor,
a goon knight

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
what racist, misogynistic stuff did Derek say?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
lol at goons in disbelieve

hey guys
this game is coming out, and it's gonna be the best

like this guy

Vax posted:

That's $95m and over 4 years of development for you, good sir. Enjoy your spacegame.

PhD in game development and counting numbers

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

:downsbravo:

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

The weird binary "It's perfect or it's a scam" of opinions is failing to address the actual reality here- it's not perfect, in fact it's quite loose for what it is, but it's obviously not a scam either. I hate doing one of those "Truth lies in the middle" wishy-washy bullshit copouts, but it's the objective reality here and I feel like that deserves some acknowledgement. CIG is quite incompetent and probably shouldn't be trusted with anyone's money, let alone millions from overhyped, lonely men in the throes of their midlife crises. I think it's still quite likely that they will fail before they finish the game, with layoffs and egos being the biggest contributors. But playing "God of the gaps" with a buggy release is a mug's game. Pointing out each bug in a test build even as they're fixed within 24 hours (as I predicted yesterday about the crash bug) just makes you look out of touch. There's still plenty to criticize, all over this project, but can we also just let go the "2.0 is never going out... okay it came out but it's unplayable... okay it's playable but-" argument? It's clear that within a couple months it'll be playable and rolled out to everyone, just as Arena Commander was.

It's still okay to hate Octopode though.

BOOM!

HEADSHOT!

I'M GAY!!!
wait... does wanting a sexual experience with eonwe make me gay?

i got my 2.0 invite today, btw

hey guys
this game is coming out, and it's going to be the best

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

coward

post yours

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

And I will give them my :20bux: :20bux: and be done with it.

Watching Chris Robert fund his movie dreams with tons of poor nerd's SSI funds on the other hand?

Chris :homebrew:
Me: :stonk:

well, you being lucid and sane is alright

funding anyone with a project like SC in mind isn't so bad, though
even if these crazy, minimum wage earning nerds pour a large portion of their income into the crowdfunding, they're not being deceived. they're very well aware they're buying jpegs, meanwhile the game they want to play is coming along just fine due to it.

there are far less capable and shadier developer-doctor-lawyer-accountants out there, getting money from people and not delivering anything worthwhile

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Constellation Taurus: $150 Scrub Tier Model. Only one turret, no parasite fighter, more cargo space because cargo is for scrubs. Possibly may have ability to open up the back. Possibly may have ability to have more turrets added, who knows what you think we figured this poo poo out?

Constellation Andromeda: Former "space superiority fighter" now jack-of-all-trades "Multi-Function" Chris Roberts Mary Sue Spectacular. It has cargo! It has turrets! It can carry forty eight loving missiles on these badass swing out arms! It has massive gimballed guns! It carries a snub fighter! It's everything you want in a ship and more! Only $225! For that price holy poo poo buy two!

Constellation Aquila: $250 exploration variant. Notable for having a round cockpit instead of whatever the gently caress the other ones have. Only one turret because the other is replaced by a sensor package thingy. Carries a rover because why the gently caress not. Has more fuel... somehow. No parasite fighter.

Constellation Phoenix: $350 limited quantity LUXURY JPEG. Wood interior! Better power plant than the commoner ships which you can't otherwise get! All the missiles of the Andromeda, plus the rover of the Aquila, plus an EVEN BETTER parasite fighter, plus a automatic point-defense gun that you can't otherwise get, PLUS A MOTHERFUCKING HOT TUB HOLY poo poo SELL AN ORGAN ALREADY AND BUY ONE.

The best part about the Phoenix is that most spergs don't give a poo poo about the luxury interior, and have repeatedly asked CIG if they can strip out the crap and still keep the better stats. The reason for this is because, back when this poo poo was sold to people, CIG established that certain things were locked to the hull and could never change. Most notably hardpoints and power plant maximums. So a lot of people, seeing the Constellation as the Mary Sue Millennium Serenity Enterprise, saw the stats of the Phoenix and knew that if they wanted the BEST Mary Sue Millenium Serenity Enterprise that they would have to shell out the big bucks. That CIG made the best Constellation a luxury variant is perfectly indicative of just how tone deaf they are. Or how nefariously ruthless they are at extracting nerd funds. Probably the latter.

the frustration shows.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that didn't last long. Eventually, like "helmet-gate", everyone will see just how much time and money has been wasted on all poo poo like this. Because fidelity.

hi Derek, I like you.

I like Chris too, though.

what do I do?

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
i heard we're hating on lamps now

hey lamp

i hate you, lamp
go away

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

AP posted:

:lesnick: hasn't posted in 12 days.

Nichole "Batgirl" D'Angelo's last daily AC 2.0 video was 5 days ago

3 million to go, 4 sale days left.

[Using the crowd funding spreadsheet and assuming I didn't do anything stupid.]

November 2015 total so far $2,868,781

5 days in November left. Assume 300k per day remaining, they'll likely do better but I do see possible early signs of internal morale failing, so very possible they don't have a nice video of the phoenix to show on Around the Verse and therefore gently caress this day's sale up.

November 2013 $7,880,937
November 2014 $6,123,928
November 2015 $4,400,000 (estimated)

A better result of 400k a day and giving an extra sale day would still see them below 5 million in November 2015, ~1 month after showing SQ42, social module &, AC 2.0. Funding is drying up and it's a long time on 1-2 million per month until they try to force something out the door in May 2016.

$5m (in a month) is an stupendous amount of money
your predictions are not, though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClfU2NStY

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
Thread's Goons Emotional Level: FRUSTRATED.

hey guys, this game is coming out

everything in the PTU 2.0 is really good
very buggy, but super fun nonetheless

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

janssendelt seems to be the only SC fan legitimately taking the hosed up 2.0 and sales in stride so probably deserves some kind of consolation prize or something

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Toops posted:

This is what it's like to be a Star Citizen backer. Can anyone think of something funny? I'm too busy cringing.

shut up, neckbeard

being a SCitizen is awesome

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

jaegerx posted:

That's right Reddit. You missed it where lowtax and Derek smart signed up together to build a mmo. That's why we are sabotaging star citizen. They're going to build the BDSSE and goons are in on the ground floor. Why do to think bootcha pulled his investment? It's all going into the something awful mmo.

last I heard was that Derek's wife was taking Hebrew lessons paid with Bootcha's investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Toops posted:

Yeah but what's it mean? What's it leading to? You know, if you'd have told me 20 years ago I'd see children walking the streets of our Texas towns with green hair, buying jpegs with rent money... I just flat-out wouldn't have believed you.

- Signs and wonders. But I think once you quit hearing "limited" and "sale," the rest is soon to foller.

- Oh, it's the tide.
It's the dismal tide.
It is not the one thing.

great

another rambling psychotic

• Locked thread