Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

"...or candy for my van"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Folks who suffer from writer's block often blame everything around them. "Can't write my book, gotta do the dishes." "Can't edit this piece, the day outside is too good to stay indoors." "I was busy responding to e-mails and correspondence, the real work happens tomorrow." That kind of thing. I find it bemusing that CIG reeks of this kind of wrist-wringing and passing of the buck when it comes to game content and promises...yet for the script? For SQ42? That block of paper that screams, "PLEASE EDIT ME!" that Chris wrote? Didn't see any issues behind the creation of that.

But then if you think you're saving PC gaming and are so divorced from reality that Sandi seems like a real catch for acting agents, climbing up the mountain and carving the SQ42 saga as if it could save the very soul of your people must be absolutely thrilling. And addictive.

You've got various studios waiting for your script but no customers who want the separate 'game' really. They didn't buckle into the ride for that. The audience for your 'movie' is you Chris. Just you. You want to see the vision blind even yourself because you're just that loving dazzling. But then, it's always been that way, huh? All vision, all glare, no management of expectation, scope or resources. And when that script is inevitably torn apart, either when the product is released or the script is leaked, then, and perhaps only then, reviewers will start pointing at every minor flaw you hoped would never be examined under the light of day and you won't be able to patch it. You won't be able to edit. It'll be done. Finished. They will not be nice about eviscerating the banality of your work, they will not hold the punches nor will they ring any bell. You will squirm, and no doubt throw folks under the bus while you're still driving the loving thing over them. Perhaps you'll state something like, "It was a bold attempt that no-one has ever tried before, uhhh" before trying to find a new bus entirely. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Derek himself even said something like, "Those who can create, create. Those who can't, edit/criticize'". That's a pretty common saying, and the meaning that most folks attribute to it is that, hey, if you've got loads of creative ideas, you're allowed to make mistakes. Those mistakes will be noticed by those who can't create. Many folks will jump on any creative effort, and they might be highly critical of you and your work. Don't worry, you're better than that person, because you can create, whereas that person can only critique or edit.

But any creator worth their salt needs and benefits from a critical eye. Sometimes this involves slamming a piece of work into storage for a number of months until you forget about it, and can read it again without quite so much of the baggage that comes from creating something, it gives the distance to be objective. Or, you could rely on someone other than yourself for such things. Someone you respect in the field of writing, someone who has a vested interest in keeping you and your work honest. Someone who isn't afraid to bust your balls and say, "This character loving sucks, it's clearly you, the third act is cliche as gently caress, also, you are not the next Hemmingway, shut up and listen." Otherwise it's time wasted, ideas squandered, pointless revisions and ultimately a botched project that has little semblance to what the project intended to be (sound familiar?). You need that person to sound the sirens when something is hosed and needs to be unfucked before any further good can happen.

And in Chris' case? Who the gently caress is going to have the stones to say anything vaguely negative about a script that beams vision from every page? Or hell, who among them has the technical ability to discern errors in writing, be they mundane or fundamental? Who has that permission to edit the holy word? Who would be brave enough to even suggest such a thing? None of them I bet, and if there is any form of workshop, I imagine it would be the sheepish self-congratulatory drivel that we come to expect from their studio's lackies. The script for SQ42 is the source of hope for CIG's financial redemption and would you dare tamper with such a holy thing if you worked for CIG? Chris is surrounded by poached talent, sycophants, narcissists and folks who want to get out of this mess in one piece. Good luck finding a critical voice that'll guide you Chris. One you can trust. One you can rely on. One you can have faith in, like your many of your customers have for you.

That last point is eroding with time mind you. Can't wait to read that script Chris. It's the linchpin to the lovely bridge you want to cross and burn, only this time when you try a repeat performance of your last dramatic egress, I think you'll be caught up in the conflagration. And you loving better believe I won't be alone in wanting those flames to rise higher, and higher, and higher, until everyone can see that your mewling attempts at the best drat space sim only gave us a replacement for Daikatana for the pole position of ugliest game abortion.

Same.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

HotsauceShoTYME posted:

Excommunicated from the den of shitizens I come seeking asylum.

You should have stopped typing right there.........

I should have stopped reading right there.............

But you didn't, and I didn't..............

At least that's the way I see it................

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Michaellaneous posted:

if shipspawn then num_ships++
if shipparp then num_ships--

if ( shiplist[ 15 ].in_use == 64 ) // 64 is the bit we need for ships in an instance
{
// Must fix these bracket indents!
if ( shiplist[ 15].speed == -1 ) // Note! Always set quantum travel ship speeds to -1!
{
// Goto jumps back to here if in trouble.
// Also jumps here from QuantumDrive.c and WakeUpJeff.c if jump_fix=122
AbortFreeShipAttempt:

DebugLine("AAA I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

for( ship=0;ship<1024;ship)) // CR made me set this to 1024 - put it back later
{
if (jump_fix == 122) break;

DebugLine("BBB I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

freeship = FindFreeShip( ship, shiplist[ lastship -1 ] );

if ( ( freeship == -1 ) || DoNotReUseLastShip(lastship-1))
{
++lastship;
goto AbortFreeShipAttempt;
}
else message_p = NULL; // Erin said to set this, and could use a little more brackets.

DebugLine("CCC I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);
}
}
else { DisplayMessage( message_p );
}
}
else switch ( jump_fix ) {
case 20:
MessageJump:
DisplayMessage( message_p );
break;

case 53:
message_p = "Ready";
goto MessageJump;
break;

case 126:
{
// Need something here, and fix bracket indents.
}
}

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

gently caress me, that formatted absolutely perfectly.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i would absolutely donate to a charity of derek's choice if derek changed his surname or middle name to 'citizen'

I'm suddenly possessed with the thought of turning my life into a bold nerd art statement. Change my first name to "Star", last name to "Citizen"...

...and middle name to "Danger", of course. Because any time you're going to ruin your life by changing your name to something really really dumb, at least get the middle name right.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

What manner of WC?

The worst kind of WC.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The rings aren't rotating predictably like some lesser fidelity games would do! Star Citizen models the hamsters running in the wheels, spinning the gears which are in turn rotating the rings.

And the fidelity extends to the level of oxygenation of each hamster, based on its age, cardiovascular fitness, relative humidity, fur length, muscle tone and recent diet.

Of course, some bitter and deluded people like Deruk Spart incorrectly assume it is just a badly coded, janky, broken space station animation... when in actual fact, it is caused by a simulated arterial blockage and resulting cardiac arrest in one of the hamsters.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

The new ladder animation, also fidelicious on stairs.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

A short film about love and companionship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83akkQ4FvSs

I have calculated...

h = 3 x s

where

h = hilarity
s = time in seconds

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Samizdata posted:

So, you are saying we need to add :pgabz: to the Stimperial Lore Masters?

Well, we do have direct video evidence of a de-skeletoned commando being found in pgabz' quarters.

It's not like the guy could have let himself in like that.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Tokamak posted:

it is actually a recurrence relation.

h[t+1] = 3 x h[t]

Much like pain the stimpire, there was no time where there was zero hilarity. It just triples in power every second until you die.

How could I have made such a basic error???

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD: WHEN WAS THE MOMENT YOU CAME TO YOUR SENSES?
Day Zero, when I went to lurn up on what this new crowdfunded game was all about... and read the devs wanted to use actual thruster force to actually control their ships.

As soon as I read that, I thought,

1. That idea is stupid bullshit, as would need actual engineers with actual flight dynamics experience.
2. This project is focusing on GREAT SOUNDING bullshit that will sabotage their attempts to build and deliver.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

darkarchon posted:

Shouldn't it be h = (h × 3) × s

I would have said yes, but that also falls into the trap of there being a moment where there is no hilarity, which is simply not the case. Our maths needs better fidelity to adequately describe it.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Toops posted:

Hey plebes, weekly dev update is up. Huge thanks to Jst0rm for the amazing sound design, and Eastdrom for some sick 3d asteroid modeling. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sErsCOKXr3Q

I'm always looking for feedback, so please share yours.

Outstanding.

You're channelling pgabz for some of the subtitle comments!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Is there no way Toops can motion capture the radar?
This just whiffs of lazy devs to me

SOLAR PLEBIAN

Starring

Liam Neeson as Chair
David Duchovny as Radar
Peter Dinklage as Trackball Joystick

e: Had to give Neeson top billing. He threatened to go missing if Duchovny was put first, and you can't have a spaceship without chairs.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Daztek posted:

The first guy is talking about a thread on the RSI forums

Is it just me or is everything broken?

Featuring god tier posts by LeSabre and FrigginTommyNoble.

and lol, LeSabre is on probation

That's a surprise!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

That second thing makes me laugh.

CIG needs to "design their architecture to this scope".

The Problem

They skipped the BORING stuff that those BORING tie-wearing, nine-to-five, SQUARES do, and didn't write a detailed FSD. So they have no formal scope. They are the cool, anti-establishment, special super-coders, sticking it to the man, and consoles, and publishers. So they cut out all that crap and just started coding.

Scope Vomit

Whenever CR said, "Yes, of course we'll have that in the game", that's the scope. "Yes" to this. "Yes" to that. "Yes" was the word, as it brought in money.

What was the question again?

Oh, yeah.

"If a project takes 3 years, starts out with 2 people working on it, then their work gets discarded and reworked by 4 people in year 2, discarded again and redone by 6 people in year 3, does that mean 50% of the work was done in year 3? Or did the first two years not count?

"A code is executed in different code paths. If one path is not reachable because of a bug, but contains a few more bugs, then fixing the first bug doesn't introduce 4000 new bugs." Correct. But the problem is, there are ten thousand bugs in the code that is executing. Forget the special snowflake bugs hiding behind broken logic flow.

I said "logic flow", but I was thinking "goto" statements.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Dante80 posted:

citizencon 2015 + this

I don't feel I have turned "against" CIG though. Rather, I'm mildly disappointed with the way the project is going, and some parts of the community.

Hi DEREK.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

orcinus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Star_Citizen

Derek, do you feel personally disgruntled today?
Gawd, why does 90% of shitizens have these weird speech/writing patterns?

e: Surprise surprise, it's someone from germany.

Wikipedia needs a drat good audit. Does anyone know, like, a whole family of drat good auditors? Doesn't have to be from Germany, but it would certainly help.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

And this needs a thought bubble.

Doesn't need a thought bubble. It just needs to avoid a lower camera angle.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Goobs posted:

Here's another sc backer. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/ZbkZbeAv_UM

Great.

Someone, somewhere, now knows I clicked on that.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A35v7opSuR0

This looks like a cool first-person survival game,. You wake up in a spaceship, promptly crash land in the Antarctic, go into hibernation, get dug out by pink aliens with rudimentary technology and easy-to-copy DNA. You have to adapt, stay alive and fight the aliens from within.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

his nibs posted:

I don't know much about open game development but there seems a lot wrong with this

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/322169/star-citizen-a-victim-of-early-access/p3

"...it's just adding features and content."

For backers who want Second Life in Space.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Just got done jerking off to pictures of David Braben (a hot, talented version of Chris Roberts) and now I'm making fun of Rhona Mitra on 4chan.

You make handparty with my David!?!?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

D_Smart posted:

hey, he's trying to troll the master himself. so why not play along? besides, how different is that from what we do in this thread 24-7?

Nothing gets past you, does it?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Is it a bad time to confess that all seven of my uncles are German auditors?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Will there be a light comic relief character like Jar Jar Binks?

Yes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQqSGlIX0Jk

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Galarox posted:

Sgt Parpers Lonely Smarts Club Band

When you play the inner groove backwards, it says, "Will Ravane be back as Leonard Skinly?".

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

starkebn posted:

Missiles hit the ship they're launching from, this isn't an issue.

Missiles hit the ship they're launching from. Is this an issue?

SURVEY SAYS: No.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

He's the Prince of spirit animals. A true trail-blazer in performance art.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

EightAce posted:

The industry is a very small place....despite it employing thousands of people world wide , there is only really a small amount that control it and have any real clout. Someone on here , I know who , but no hard feelings whatsoever, pasted some of my more predictive posts on Chaos engine, in an industry only forum where there is much speculation and hilarity from people that really do know what they are talking about. The whole industry is laughing their collective sexual organs off at the whole thing. But there are exceptions. Most noticeably one Evangelical young man who is so brainwashed that he will not hear a word said against CIG, the project or the management.
Because of this , much of what is discussed here has circulated among the dev staff. I would say 60% think it hilarious, stick it to them etc. 20% Im sure are making GBS threads themselves in case they have any connection to me and 10% are determined to track me and any other dissenters down like wild beast's, and present our pelt's before the Stimporer and his consort.
Thing is they are now running on fumes both figuratively and ideologically. People realize that this is doomed including the press who are contacting people left right and center. I still maintain that this is NOT a scam and even now in the dying days of Rome the brains-trust still really and truly believe that if they show enough shiny JPEGS and trailers for SQ42 then they will get over this and still produce the BDSSE.

Things to look for soon ......

There are 3 trailers . Best one has Craig Fairbrass in he is pretty awesome..one will be released soon. The Stimporer is being selective

Apparently one of the A listers is not happy at all about being associated with this gently caress up and is currently seeking distance. ........a lot of distance .......off grid physics distance.

The animation system is so hosed they have to reshoot mo cap......The budget set aside for this element of the game has over run by 12 times the initial estimate !!

Chris is really pissed about ED I mean really pissed. Its everyone fault but his of course

This forum and any forum that has any SC content is read by paid peons CONFIRMED. To be fair , they do adjust policy (with regards public facing issues ) in response. So.....
No more of that fake news report bollocks, more dev interviews etc. This in itself is amazing

Ben is actually in a really bad way. I am not taking the piss here but please remember he is a human being and is clearly in a lot of trouble .

3 ! Yes 3 high profile ship jumpers in the foreseeable.

There have also been some rather explosive conversations behind the scenes with some very disgruntled top tier Wales. there is a genuine concern that these people band together ........

Other than that its business as usual: The Vanduul are up for a rethink by the looks of it as they didn't go across as impressively as was required. Slight concerns about scale/ships are now becoming real panic blockers and the blame game has begun. SQ42 Ep 1 or 10000 will be here next year , late next year .

For anyone that still has money in this, if what they want is a visually impressive but really boring first person dog fighting game running at 3 fps with loads or terrible and I mean loving terrible cutscenes then sit tight it may still happen and you will be very happy.

Anyone that bought into this for an open world alternate reality where you can roam the verse and be who you want to be, farming and raping and grieifng and parkouring etc . I suggest that you rethink your investment..... and be loving quick about it

At ease commandos

You certainly know how to make a (re)entrance!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Eonwe posted:

hey guys, I am giving away my collection of emotes

:eonwe:

here you go, i'm very generous

you may now use this emote

Awesome, thank you. I will use it wisely, I promise.

Hey, everyone, I'm selling my special collection of eonwe emotes. I have an initial limited run of three that need new homes:

:eonwe: :eonwe: :eonwe:

$5 ea.

These are highest quality reproductions, reverse-engineered from a captured original :eonwe: emote. Once these are gone, that's it! Don't delay. Buy yours today!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Omi-Polari posted:

If they don't let Derek in, they don't deserve the name Chaos Engine.

Derek is *the* chaos engine.

But... is he perhaps... management?

They don't serve their kind in The Chaos Engine!

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

for the love of god, someone make a thread about this on the forum.
The sound was recorded in the office with some 3rd grade material instead of what Ilffonic showed.

The guys who are doing it probably have no loving experience what so ever with audio.
Sidenote : do you guys think squadron 42 would get the same treatment? Meaning amateur hour?

So far this is the saddest thing I have ever seen from SC. I mean I literally have no words for it.
And it also illustrates how hosed up this whole " development" is.

Meanwhile, in Elite, ambient background audio subtly changes depending on your orientation in the galaxy...

https://vimeo.com/121620196

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Honestly, you can get away with that recording setup, although having the mic in the corner of the room is a bit odd. I've used a shotgun to record a vocal track in a room like that back when I didn't know what I was doing. You can pretty much get away with it for little sounds like that.

If they knew what they were doing they'd have a foley artist come in and perform to their animations. Those guys and girls are seriously talented with super sharp timing. Taking a big loving rustling noise and leather sounds and putting one on each moving anim bone and expecting it to sound good? GET THE gently caress OUT.

But seriously now guys. Every single loving thing they do is pure poo poo. poo poo physics, poo poo broken animations, barely watchable poo poo loving video promos of mumbling bumbling buffoons talking poo poo. poo poo flight model. poo poo environment design. And now poo poo audio design.

All poo poo, all of it. All pure loving poo poo. A total disaster, a laughing stock, a money pit, a trainwreck.

Long may it continue.

Come on now, that's unfair. The online spaceship purchasing website is working great.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

1500 posted:

I think its the exact same thing, they are just trying to claim its new. Check out the equipment used for both (backpack and such), its the same in both videos.

You're right about the backpack, and, yes, the grenades are identical too.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

That's extremely dramatic. I think it needs some serious lens flare to really lift it, though...

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

That's amazingly inept.

I can understand Victor Frankenstein doing it, as it was his Thing. "I'll take Jessica Biel's body, put on Sandi's head, and BRING IT TO LIFE..."

But outright plagiarising content from a (bad) Hollywood movie to produce a promotional item that they know will be trotted out in endless company photos?

The mind boggles.

This is going to run and run...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

So when I saw this...

...I straight away began padding my resume and portfolio...

I'm a shoe-in for the job!

• Locked thread