Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

Ah, yes, the infamous
code:
if (num_ships < 16) spawnNewShip();
else parp();
problem has troubled the greatest minds for decades
It has when you can't trust num_ships.

Tippis posted:

Whathowinthewhynow?!?

How the hell do you lose track of an object just because it's at a given speed? And if it didn't, how did it suddenly realise that it had too many ships? And why does it randomly remove ships when this happen rather than something sane and sensible?

:psyboom:
You would if quantum travel was a load screen and the ship wasn't actually in the instance during that time.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

It has when you can't trust num_ships.

You would if quantum travel was a load screen and the ship wasn't actually in the instance during that time.

if shipspawn then num_ships++
if shipparp then num_ships--

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
The ships disappearing are a feature since quantum drive is impracticable and dangerous. Players should avoid or face possible ejection and molecular disintegration of the hulls

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

elseif shipparp then num_ships--
else parp

ftfy

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jokes on you parp is the only function that will ever be called, the rest is unreachable.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Jokes on you parp is the only function that will ever be called, the rest is unreachable.

try parp
catch parp

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm rereading that thing and it's loving amazing, here's what's happening...

:siren: The problem :siren:
When you go into QT you drop out of the instance. This means that the server then pops one of the ships in queue and when you drop out of QT the server realizes it hosed up and there are now too many ships in the instance. Since they can't seem to solve the actual problem they don't have many ways to deal with it.

Option 1: Drop the latest ship to enter the instance, ie yours when you came out of QT. This of course meant that people would come out of QT floating in mid air and that caused them great pain.

Option 2: Drop the latest ship to enter that does not have a pilot in it, hopefully it will be some ship that was just spawned but it could also be the ship of some idiot on EVA.

And here it is, Star Citizen in a nutshell. This game is going to be an unholy Frankenstein's monster held together with spit and prayer, loved by no one, hated by all, lashing out against it's tormentors by making their ships shake themselves apart.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can a laser exceed the speed of its explosion?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

kordansk posted:

try parp
catch parp

finally parp

Finally parp.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

I'm rereading that thing and it's loving amazing, here's what's happening...

:siren: The problem :siren:
When you go into QT you drop out of the instance. This means that the server then pops one of the ships in queue and when you drop out of QT the server realizes it hosed up and there are now too many ships in the instance. Since they can't seem to solve the actual problem they don't have many ways to deal with it.

Option 1: Drop the latest ship to enter the instance, ie yours when you came out of QT. This of course meant that people would come out of QT floating in mid air and that caused them great pain.

Option 2: Drop the latest ship to enter that does not have a pilot in it, hopefully it will be some ship that was just spawned but it could also be the ship of some idiot on EVA.

And here it is, Star Citizen in a nutshell. This game is going to be an unholy Frankenstein's monster held together with spit and prayer, loved by no one, hated by all, lashing out against it's tormentors by making their ships shake themselves apart.

look they just need to increase max_shipcount to 32 instead of 16. problem solved goonie

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Toops posted:

Oh come on dude. The media has a moral responsibility to find out what's happening in the world, and tell people. I can't imagine any decent journalist gives a drat about either of those points you listed.

What good would it do? Save people from wasting money on fraud and false advertising. Help set a higher standard for crowdfunding so charismatic morons stop wasting everyones loving money.

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news? Journalism is about presenting the news, without judgment or prejudice, and definitely without condescending to your audience as if they're autistic and hit themselves in the eyes with jumbo legos whenever you say "don't do that."

Games journalism is 40% advertisement, 30% press releases, 25% fellating the industry and 5% kicking someone that already fell into the gutter all by themselves.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

finally parp
Finally parp.

code:
while(parp == true)
{
	parp = false;

Parp(more);
	if(parpNow > parpMax)
	{
		parp = false;
	}
	else
	{
		parp = true;
	}

parp = true;
}

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Games journalism is 40% advertisement, 30% press releases, 25% fellating the industry and 5% kicking someone that already fell into the gutter all by themselves.

100% ethical

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Michaellaneous posted:

if shipparp then num_ships--

if ( shiplist[ 15 ].in_use == 64 ) // 64 is the bit we need for ships in an instance
{
// Must fix these bracket indents!
if ( shiplist[ 15].speed == -1 ) // Note! Always set quantum travel ship speeds to -1!
{
// Goto jumps back to here if in trouble.
// Also jumps here from QuantumDrive.c and WakeUpJeff.c if jump_fix=122
AbortFreeShipAttempt:

DebugLine("AAA I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

for( ship=0;ship<1024;ship)) // CR made me set this to 1024 - put it back later
{
if (jump_fix == 122) break;

DebugLine("BBB I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

freeship = FindFreeShip( ship, shiplist[ lastship -1 ] );

if ( ( freeship == -1 ) || DoNotReUseLastShip(lastship-1))
{
++lastship;
goto AbortFreeShipAttempt;
}
else message_p = NULL; // Erin said to set this, and could use a little more brackets.

DebugLine("CCC I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);
}
}
else { DisplayMessage( message_p );
}
}
else switch ( jump_fix ) {
case 20:
MessageJump:
DisplayMessage( message_p );
break;

case 53:
message_p = "Ready";
goto MessageJump;
break;

case 126:
{
// Need something here, and fix bracket indents.
}
}

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
gently caress me, that formatted absolutely perfectly.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Mr Fronts posted:

if ( shiplist[ 15 ].in_use == 64 ) // 64 is the bit we need for ships in an instance
{
// Must fix these bracket indents!
if ( shiplist[ 15].speed == -1 ) // Note! Always set quantum travel ship speeds to -1!
{
// Goto jumps back to here if in trouble.
// Also jumps here from QuantumDrive.c and WakeUpJeff.c if jump_fix=122
AbortFreeShipAttempt:

DebugLine("AAA I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

for( ship=0;ship<1024;ship)) // CR made me set this to 1024 - put it back later
{
if (jump_fix == 122) break;

DebugLine("BBB I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);

freeship = FindFreeShip( ship, shiplist[ lastship -1 ] );

if ( ( freeship == -1 ) || DoNotReUseLastShip(lastship-1))
{
++lastship;
goto AbortFreeShipAttempt;
}
else message_p = NULL; // Erin said to set this, and could use a little more brackets.

DebugLine("CCC I am here and not crashing. jump_fix=%d", jump_fix);
}
}
else { DisplayMessage( message_p );
}
}
else switch ( jump_fix ) {
case 20:
MessageJump:
DisplayMessage( message_p );
break;

case 53:
message_p = "Ready";
goto MessageJump;
break;

case 126:
{
// Need something here, and fix bracket indents.
}
}

all integers have to be in multiples of 42. also lets be honest, you really think theres comments in the code?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mr Fronts posted:

code:
This is quite enough programming talk now
e:

kordansk posted:

all integers have to be in multiples of 42. also lets be honest, you really think theres code?

ftfy

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

kordansk posted:

all integers have to be in multiples of 42. also lets be honest, you really think theres comments in the code?

Sure like these
code:
// MaxShips is 24, and should always be maxPlayers + 8, just to be on the safe side of things
if (num_ships < maxShips) spawnNewShip();
else parp();
Meanwhile somewhere else in the 80k lines file...
code:
// keep this below 16, at least until 1.2
int maxShips = 15;
Each comment is a lie waiting to happen.
~ some advice on comments (I have forgotten the author)

Mr Fronts posted:

You're a monster!

P.S.
Thanks everyone for awesome :effort: posts. Especially G0rf.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Skellybones posted:

Can a laser exceed the speed of its explosion?

They don't explode, so no. Or yes. Either works, really.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Nope, it's been this way since forever. It's just bad design, through and through. The problem is they felt the need to try and automate a bunch of stuff for you to make your ship feel smart (as opposed to Elite's "put your gear down and then strafe down onto the pad" solution which works perfectly) and the end result is that regular flying is loving ruined, any kind of close manuevering is loving ruined, you can never tell where you're going to actually land or if your ship is just going to drift away when you get out, AND there's like three different kinds of assisted landing mode to help you out - all of which are completely loving unusable unless you've played their tutorial and learned how to use them. That tutorial is broken, by the way. So have fun with your brand new super-futuristic pile of poo poo.

All that poo poo that was in that video I made where the computer went apeshit while I was landing? None of that was done on purpose by me. That was just the game having the same loving aneurysm it does any time you fly next to poo poo.

If they want their ships to be so smart, why not automate everything? It would be really original to have a space flight sim where you only give orders to your computer and your ship then dutifully executes them. "Ship, I want to fight those pirates. Do your thing!" "Yes sir! Mining lasers deployed. Begin evasive maneuvers." "Uh poo poo wait gently caress"

Romes128 posted:

I live how their whole argument is they haven't delivered the game yet so no refunds but they have no release date for the game as it's still in development.

Not delivering something you promised is normally a good reason for a refund and most consumer laws agree. CIG has that kind of backwards, I think.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Iglocska posted:

Personally I prefer the "newer" version. It's a subjective thing. Besides, the newer textures may be better for performance.

But just a few pages ago takaroshe was talking about fidelity and graphics. That guy cant make his mind up what he wants.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MeLKoR posted:

Oh, come on! there is more fellating than that!

60% ads, 30% dick-sucking (which is another form of ad), 9% press releases(yet another ad), 1% anything else (probably some esoteric ad).

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hahahahaha, these are the stupidest people on the internet. I'm going to gently caress up my balls from all the wanking when this poo poo comes crashing down.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

code:
This is quite enough programming talk now
e:

ftfy

yeah, of course there is. cryengine exists. star citizen code thats more than a few thousand lines thats equivalent to a lovely high school mod? LOLOLOLOL no probably not.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Does this count as one ship or half a ship for the purposes of the 16 ship limit.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I guess this ship was just deleted due to the limit. I wonder what happens if you're in an entry animation when a ship gets deleted...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Nope, it's been this way since forever. It's just bad design, through and through. The problem is they felt the need to try and automate a bunch of stuff for you to make your ship feel smart (as opposed to Elite's "put your gear down and then strafe down onto the pad" solution which works perfectly) and the end result is that regular flying is loving ruined, any kind of close manuevering is loving ruined, you can never tell where you're going to actually land or if your ship is just going to drift away when you get out, AND there's like three different kinds of assisted landing mode to help you out - all of which are completely loving unusable unless you've played their tutorial and learned how to use them. That tutorial is broken, by the way. So have fun with your brand new super-futuristic pile of poo poo.

All that poo poo that was in that video I made where the computer went apeshit while I was landing? None of that was done on purpose by me. That was just the game having the same loving aneurysm it does any time you fly next to poo poo.

The ships in E:D are "smart" because the flight-assist will make your ship steer more like a traditional plane by some kind of thrust magic.

Which you can also deactivate and then tumble about like a drunk pirate in space. But since the thrusts in SC are "canonically" as strong as the main engine...really, what the gently caress does it matter.

That 6-way-of-freedom move system would work well in a cool arcade game that's more about fun and flying around than simulating anything.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Does this count as one ship or half a ship for the purposes of the 16 ship limit.

lookit dat fidelity. each component is a ship

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

MeLKoR posted:

Hahahahaha, these are the stupidest people on the internet. I'm going to gently caress up my balls from all the wanking when this poo poo comes crashing down.

You're such a magician with words :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

alphabettitouretti posted:

Probably counts as 7.6 or something like that.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

trucutru posted:

Probably counts as 7.6 or something like that.

That is the Chris Roberts Magic(tm) of 64 bit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Toops posted:

Oh come on dude. The media has a moral responsibility to find out what's happening in the world, and tell people. I can't imagine any decent journalist gives a drat about either of those points you listed.

What good would it do? Save people from wasting money on fraud and false advertising. Help set a higher standard for crowdfunding so charismatic morons stop wasting everyones loving money.

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news? Journalism is about presenting the news, without judgment or prejudice, and definitely without condescending to your audience as if they're autistic and hit themselves in the eyes with jumbo legos whenever you say "don't do that."

I wish that were true, but the image of a moral media carrying a strong arm of investigative reporting is a rarer sight these days, and even rarer in the online media outlets most people use these days to get information on video game products that you might as well be looking for unicorns. Investigative reporting costs money on the long term with a distant finishing line that needs to be supplemented by immediate income from the faster, more immediate stories and pieces. Throw in the fact that a lot of these outlets are usually part of some larger media chain drip-feeding them the necessary funds to get people on and there's a point where your bread and butter comes directly from the companies and publishers that are making the product you report on, putting you in an endless cycle of press releases and press events. It's not hard to see a mentality of not even touching the boat let alone trying to rock it, just letting the companies give you the boat to look at it. Some places do get ballsy and get hosed for it which makes for a precedent, it's no secret the PR agents go reaching for the guns when their product gets a shellacking. I'm reminded of that marketing company for Duke Nukem Forever making ominous threats about who should get review copies in the future. These people have a lot more influence over a video game media outlet than a politician does over a newspaper reporting about them (in countries where there's a free media, obviously) and they have no moral compunctions whatsoever.

I'd love to write more but I'm kinda exhausted after about 2 hours of audio editing, but to sum up you're 100% correct about what these media outlets should do, but the reality of the situation is one that's got them good reason to instead step back from it all and not touch the dumpster fire.

Asimov posted:

We've already captured the parkour animations, all of them. Don't worry about it or think twice.

We have also captured the parkour animations' families to ensure that if they are the moles in the company they will be unable to leak any additional information via their relatives.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i hope those birds will be fidelitous

I think fidelitous is my favorite word now

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

kordansk posted:

lookit dat fidelity. each component is a ship

Explains their instancing issues :smuggo:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RattiRatto posted:

The ships disappearing are a feature since quantum drive is impracticable and dangerous. Players should avoid or face possible ejection and molecular disintegration of the hulls

The QT jump is much more than a load screen, CIG actually modeled quantum entanglement to get that effect where when you get separated from your ship your limbs keep moving like you are still inside. That is what I call "fidelity". :smug:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt1PL0dOL20&t=143s

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Michaellaneous posted:

The ships in E:D are "smart" because the flight-assist will make your ship steer more like a traditional plane by some kind of thrust magic.

Which you can also deactivate and then tumble about like a drunk pirate in space.

The real magic happens when you boost into unassisted mode, turn around (ponderously, because you're so far off optimal turning speed) and then kick assist back on and give it full welly in a new and surprising direction. You can almost feel (and definitely hear) the rivets popping from the strain of the torture. :D

It's also the right way to get your ship through the mail slot.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Tippis posted:

The real magic happens when you boost into unassisted mode, turn around (ponderously, because you're so far off optimal turning speed) and then kick assist back on and give it full welly in a new and surprising direction. You can almost feel (and definitely hear) the rivets popping from the strain of the torture. :D

It's also the right way to get your ship through the mail slot.

It's the right way to do anything. If you haven't pulled sick spacedrifts while shooting a helpless pubbies who still fly with assist you haven't space trucked correctly.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

intardnation posted:

But just a few pages ago takaroshe was talking about fidelity and graphics. That guy cant make his mind up what he wants.

You couldn't be any more wrong. He achieves exactly what he wants: To entertain us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

But since the thrusts in SC are "canonically" as strong as the main engine...really, what the gently caress does it matter.

Why does the UEE use big fuckoff main thrusters when the smaller ones deliver the same output? Is it an orc thing?

• Locked thread