Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I found this thread because of the griefing thread. This is all extremely entertaining, especially as someone who has not given any of the parties any money ever. I'm honest to goodness shocked to see Derek Smart of all people as a hero, especially since I vaguely remember Lowtax banning him over a dozen years ago. And that makes me feel old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Could someone explain "Parp" to me? I honestly do not understand it and can't find reference elsewhere.

This thread is so loving entertaining and I'm late to the party. I'm honest to goodness astounded that star citizen fanboys don't realize that people have been mocking this project since it was first announced, as the follow-up to failed movie director Chris Roberts (previously failed video game designer) latest game. As a reminder, the only reason people went to see his lovely movie was so they could see the Star Wars Episode 1 trailer. Then they all left the loving theater. That's not exactly a sterling record of success.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I was thinking about the 10 hours of cutscenes thing and over the weekend my friends were talking about how stupid Xenosaga is, as they often do. I've never played it, but the first Xenosaga game was infamous for having 8 hours of unbearable cutscenes. Somehow Chris Roberts has managed ignore this and planned for making a product that has even more? Who the gently caress wants to watch 10 minutes of cutscene, nevermind 10 hours?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I literally wouldn't trust Ben Lesnick to tell me what he had for lunch.

Obviously, they would need a real 64 bit system to account for all of that data.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Hey nerds, lawsuits take time. Long-rear end amounts of time. Delays of a month or more are not uncommon. I'm not sure why there was an expectation that the clock would tick over to December 1st and there would be a headline news across gaming websites about a lawsuit. Assuming there is a lawsuit and it is something that goes forward, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it for the next month or two. Anything significant coming out of it in the first half of 2016 would shock me. The American legal system is slow as gently caress.

And remember, lawsuit or not, this is really funny free entertainment. A lawsuit would just be icing on this disaster cake.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Having never seen his bad movie I just checked and found out that mushmouth put himself in his dumb bad movie. Who on earth wanted to see his ugly face on screen other than him?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

RuckusRouser posted:

I am not sure how mean goons are allowed to be (still a bit new here) but would it be inappropriate to reply to this guy's post with: "If Chris Roberts was actually a good manager and didn't let the game's scope get out of control it would have been released in 2014 and you could have played for a time with your father"

You can be as mean as you want to be. I like that response.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Gryphon0468 posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Seriously? You never thought of that? The great developer, who definitely knows what he's doing, Derek Smart.

Yeah, Derek Smart is the worst developer in the world because he takes constructive criticism and then uses it to improve his product. How awful of him.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
It would be absolutely amazing if they end up releasing Star Citizen as a free to play game with premium spaceships or whatever. They're already doing a free to play type model, wherein whales dump cash all over the place to get a leg up. The only thing missing is a game at this point.

I just want to see a swarm of starter/free goon ships suicide into SS Pubbie Whale and blow their expensive pixels to bits. The only downside to this is that I doubt their engine can handle the literal dozens of kamikaze goons in a zone at a time.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

aleksendr posted:

This might be the only model able to pay for the infrastructure after the initial "buy in" funds dry out. SC wont have the broad appeal of generic fantasy like WOW to be purely susbscription based and cant rely on asia cheaper artists/coders like GW2 to be "Buy to play". I dont have the numbers, but i would not be surprised if 10% of the "Citizens" are buying 80+% of the ships during the sales, making the current model pretty close to "Freenium" numbers already.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Should the MMO part ever launch (unlikely) they'll probably sell it for $50-60 with a month of playtime or something and $10-15 a month for a subscription. Then, when that stream dries up, they'll make the first month free. Then free to play. And there will be premium purchases the whole time.

If all the space whales end up with their thousand dollar spaceships gated behind a monthly fee I will have a hearty laugh. Because there's no way in hell that there's going to be enough money left to run the servers for this mess for free.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

Isn't pegging in-game currencies to the dollar really bad for ingame economies? I remember someone had a big effortpost about it once.

I have never read said effortpost, but yeah, that would be a really, really dumb idea. Upon launch, the game currency will undergo hyperinflation pretty much instantly, making you $1 for 1 SpaceBuck effectively worthless. That's why most games have a regular currency that isn't directly convertible (or can only be converted from $ to GameBucks and not the other way) plus an additional real money only currency.

I can't even begin to imagine what a dollar pegged economy would look like once you have virtual commodities trading hands. It sounds like a massive disaster.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

do they realise that if the game comes out goons will just buy starter packs en masse and still push their poo poo in?

They think that having the biggest, most expensive jpegs would protect them from a never-ending goon jihad. They don't understand that should this trainwreck ever become a game that they're going to be griefed constantly. Goons are clever and will find a way to make lots of spacebucks. And then use said spacebucks to fund all sorts of wacky hi-jinks that bring these autists to tears.

And if the game doesn't come out, we will mock their tears anyway.

Regardless as to whether or not this game comes out, goons win. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating it must be to know that the only way your dream space truck game is going to be realized is with it swarming with goons who are going to ruin it. But then again, I play games to have fun, so what do I know?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Here's a question: How do the spaceships spawn in the game? Do they magically appear on the landing pads? How do the immersion lovers square this with their vision? Are they teleported in? If they're teleported why do spaceships even exist? What is the lore explanation for spaceships that weren't there suddenly being there? It seems like a small sticking point like this would drive the star citizens crazy. Especially if it's just magic and a wizard did it. Harry Potter made your spaceship appear!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I missed it, why does Sandi hate pubes?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I read this article (http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2015/12/21/the-2015-quarterly-awards/) yesterday where Star Citizen wins the "The What the Marketplace Will Bear Award for fools and their money being parted" and besides agreeing with it, I was shocked to see that cultists hadn't poo poo up the discussion. That said, it's a succinct write up of the trainwreck.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

I don't know poo poo about MWO, but that might be the least self-aware post in the history of the internet.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

So nice I clicked it twice (because I didn't understand why a duplicate tab opened up)

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
You'd think their alien language creator would have a background including Latin so they could get that right, right?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Chalks posted:

Hahaha loving hell there's so much stupid poo poo promised in this game I can't possibly hold all of it in my head at once and it's a constant surprise when someone reminds me of it.

As someone who has only been following this whole mess from afar up until last month and with no money spent, the thing that's most interesting to me from a purely academic standpoint is that they promised the creation of entirely new languages. I saw that listed as a stretch goal during the kickstarter and it's stuck with me since then. And assuming they actually have supposedly paid someone to do this and they might actually be doing it (although no one has posted any evidence of it here so I am unaware of it happening) it might actually be the only completely new thing that comes out of this trainwreck as a complete, cohesive whole.

Of course, it will just be a bonus when the true believers start posting in their new language to confound us goons!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Nyeehg posted:

It's not a space sim but the Conlang (constructed language) Hymmnos was created for the Ar Tonellico game series back in 2006. There are probably other Conlangs that can be found in games but I don't know of them. At the very least, Star Citizen isn't the first game to feature a Conlang :eng101:.

It may be the first Conlang to feature in a space sim but I'm sure someone can find a counter example.
Huh, I didn't know that either. I'm not a linguist by any means but this is all pretty neat to me.

Tokit posted:

Elite isn't the 'best space sim' at all.

Kerbal Space Program is :colbert:

This video is loving excellent and everyone should watch it.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I just caught up after a couple of busy days at work and holy loving poo poo this thread is the best.

I finally listened to the Escapist podcast covering Star Citizen and that really put a different spin on things than this thread. In here it's "Star Citizen is a cult for dumbass nerds and they are bad hahaha" but the podcast was more of "Star Citizen is a criminal enterprise to such an extent that the people in charge all belong in jail for serious crimes. And there are dumb nerds." It was a good listen though.

Also, I find it interesting that Chris and Sandi are merely leasing their Porsches and mansion. I assume that's so that when their assets are seized during the investigation proper, they don't lose any assets they own?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

loving hilarious!

Googly eyes are always funny.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm just reading this about deleting all the tickets with complete disbelief. What the loving gently caress? I haven't spent a loving cent on Star Citizen and I am actually pissed off that they would have the loving nerve to do that. If their support is even a fraction as glacially slow as it seems to be, there are legitimate complaints from real paying true believers that have been deleted. It's bad enough that they're delaying people who want their money back, but loving over the people who are actually continuing to pay to keep the lights on? Bullshit. That's horrendous, no ifs ands or buts about it. There is no justification for it - none - and maybe, just maybe, some of the backers will actually realize that something if terribly wrong with how CIG does business.

gently caress!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I've been following along for hundreds of pages but I still don't understand the wheelchair reference - a little help please?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens love to defend the terrible cockpit FOVs by posting pictures like this this. I'm sorry but pilots do not fly from behind their seats.
Also important to note is that real pilots can fly their aircraft entirely by instruments. In the future that is Star Citizen, you have to fly entirely visually. PROGRESS!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody suggest noddle machine to be server side on the CIG forums, so that people could steal or buy them and attach them to the outer hulls of ships as extra shielding and snack sources.

Are the noodle machines destructible? Has anyone tried? Honest to goodness, if they were server-side and indestructible and you could find a way to get it stuck in your spaceship's geometry (which doesn't seem that hard) you could make an invincible ship covered in vending machines. The imagery is amazing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

G0RF posted:

REDDIT:"...The new collisions are incredible!"

That wee little Mustang packs quite a punch! It's like the pick-up truck in Super-8...

My favorite part is after the collision when something falls straight down due to all the gravity in the space floor.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
It took all loving day, but I managed to catch up to this glorious thread. What an exciting week! It really seem like this trainwreck is starting to pick up some momentum. Ironic, because Star Citizen does not seem to have functional momentum!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Non-consentual PvP has got to be the funniest concept I've taken away from this thread. The thought that so many people are so afraid of competing against another human being in a game is really loving weird and funny to me in a way that I'm still having trouble describing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I've read enough to figure that Elite: Dangerous might be worthwhile trying for $15. What's the deal with it - you can get the expansion for cheap if you own the original?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

ThoughtBomb posted:

Forgive Me...

Ahahaha, Perfect!
Holy poo poo! Also perfect!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Wrecked Angle posted:

Also :lol: look at this guy trying to land all serious like in this janky mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvt8kFloPA&t=1015s

Landing gear deployed
Landing gear raise..Landing gear deployed
Weapon system damaged
Landing gear raised
*view of pilot getting out of chair upside down

:doh:

Those smoke vortexes must be out of Crysis because there's no loving reason for for the smoke or space dust or whatever to loop back in again in a loving vacuum. Fidelity!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Berious posted:

In two weeks Ben's knees are doing to implode on camera and he'll be rolling on the floor howling like he's in the stimpire

Should be a good gif

But will his pain be tripling in intensity every second after his knees explode? I could see it plateauing rather than increasing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Having never played this game, I can already think of several simple ways to bypass their anti-ramming system. That is, assuming it isn't broken as gently caress like everything else they've made. My only regret is not filling up my hard drive with this bad game and suffering through it to produce shitizen tears by locking them in their space bedrooms.

I'd bet the simplest thing is to go full speed ahead towards a target then exit your chair before impact. Since the player is no longer the ship the system probably won't be able to recognize who caused the collision. Or getting other players to sit in chairs on the same ship and seeing if you all get grounded. The possibilities are endless.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
If it has not been suggested yet, I think an important feature for Solar Plebian would be a horn for your spaceship. Obviously it will go PARP. Every good game with ramming in it has a horn so you can honk at whatever you've hit after you've hit it.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

This was doable in Battlefield 1942. We called it the gut-luge. It was great fun!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

MedicineHut posted:

Meanwhile, over at the international community...

"In our heads all your traveling and random encounters are belong to us"

Got to love the use of present tense permeating all their gushing posts.

Where the gently caress are they getting this information from? It's pie in the sky impossible to a degree even roberts isn't capable of promising.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

boviscopophobic posted:

Star Citizen patch 2.2.2 is working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A35v7opSuR0

4th Stimpire confirmed for Star Citizen!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Caught up with the thread and tossed $50 to the Zappa kickstarter. Not a bad way to kill a couple hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Hey intern reading this thread,

Tell your supervisors that I want to know what it's like for a $110 million dollar project's direction to be dictated entirely by a couple dozen (at most) of (mostly) anonymous people on message board. I want to know what it's like for the direction of over a hundred million dollars of other people's money to be spent not to satisfy their concerns or your own, but the concerns of people who have mostly either mostly completely divested from your project or never given you a cent in the first place. Is it as weird as I imagine? Is it as completely loving strange as I think it is, changing the roll out of new content specifically to contradict what a mole said to a small audience of people who don't have anything at stake? You're working for a hundred million dollar company that employs hundreds of people, yet what it says and does is dictated not by the people funding it or running it, but by a handful of people who have nothing to do with it.

And based upon my observations, is this what astrology is like? Basing your future plans on the movements of things that are distant and otherwise would have no effect on anything?

I'm not trying to get you to leave your job or anything intern person, I just want to get some sort of explanation from the people running this company as to how the hell this way of operating makes any sense at all.

• Locked thread