Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Actually, this seems like a really fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Ravane posted:

Actually, this seems like a really fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk

I would legit play a FPS where you air shoot with your hands and make a fake pew pew sound. Somebody get this on kickstarter.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP posted:

Hey Karl, remember that time I googled your username here and found an insane twitter account. A twitter account with an identical username, that was friends with Dickwulf, spewed hate at Derek Smart until he blocked it and I laughed and posted a screenshot from it?

Remember how you said that's not mine and linked your real "twitter account", which funnily enough showed you friends with Dickwulf & spewing hate at Derek Smart until he blocked it. The username from that account lead to your RSI account. Then how some idiot on reddit tried trolling me, even though I don't post there, about poo poo Karl was upset about and it turned out that was you too.

Do you remember all that? Because I do and it was hilarious.

I like how thin the veil is between the RSI and Reddit accounts.

Raess2014 posted:

Me myself studied biology and earned my doctorate degree in tumour and HIV/HCV research, was regulatory affairs manager, project manager and quality assurance manager in some small to SME companies and currently working as an auditor for medical devices which gives me deep insight in many development processes, how a company works incl. funidng, how management work and so on.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3002324/#Comment_3002324

Matilda2013 posted:

Like you can see on my profile I am an auditor currently working for the TÜV in Germany. My department is monitoring companies producing medical devices (including software) and also investigating if anything unusual is going on (consumer fraud, fakes, CE mark misuse and so on).
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lj5nf/the_last_derek_smart_thread_well_ever_need/cv9mcjc

Matilda2013 posted:

As I said I work as an auditor but my journey began with studying sciences (PhD in biology field: immunology, virology, genetics and cell biology, second field physics). That is very important if it comes to my work as an auditor and how I evaluate data and to the casa DS vs. SC: Normally to analyse a (scientific) publication, a statement, contract or anything else written I copy it over to MSword and perform the following process: First I delete every filler sentence and every personal statement. Like: “I am Derek Smart”, or “this is all bullshit”. Then I mark all the data which is stated as a fact but without any proof or real strong evidence provided by the author. I also use a different colour for info that could be proofed if the corresponding source and raw data would be provided.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3lj5nf/the_last_derek_smart_thread_well_ever_need/cv9mcoz

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

The hidden cost of Chris' magpie game design. I bet a bunch of cultists rebuild their "rigs" every time he throws out a new shiny.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rad Russian posted:

I would legit play a FPS where you air shoot with your hands and make a fake pew pew sound. Somebody get this on kickstarter.

Oh boy, let me just get a video made and you can live that fantasy. It even uses a resourceful engine!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Berious posted:

The hidden cost of Chris' magpie game design. I bet a bunch of cultists rebuild their "rigs" every time he throws out a new shiny.

See if we invest in computer parts we could make a fortune,then we just tell them all "hey we've changed our tune, we're totally onboard with CS, let's all get hype for the game and start spending, and while you're at it why not upgrade your rig, get a really expensive one"

ching ching ching

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 2, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizens found a German article to their liking.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4318794/#Comment_4318794

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4318840/#Comment_4318840

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4319390/#Comment_4319390

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Berious posted:

Not really hidden cultist have been declaring their constant rebuilding since the,beginning

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
^:five:

"star citizen already has more content than other similar games when you pretend the mechanics have been implemented"

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
hm it appears I may have messed up the translation

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nyeehg posted:

It's not a space sim but the Conlang (constructed language) Hymmnos was created for the Ar Tonellico game series back in 2006. There are probably other Conlangs that can be found in games but I don't know of them. At the very least, Star Citizen isn't the first game to feature a Conlang :eng101:.

It may be the first Conlang to feature in a space sim but I'm sure someone can find a counter example.

Hymnos is such a loving cool language because the producer of the series was probably both a huge spoken and computer language fan that he decided to mix both into one. And it took like 4+ years to get to the point where they could use hymnos for most of the song instead of japanese with a few chorus in hymnos. The differrences between the first game and EXEC_FLIP_ARPHAGE is massive.

We haven't even seen a shred of the conlags for SC yet and I seriously doubt they've hired anyone to get started.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kurt is finding their new home not as welcoming as they thought.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6190951/#Comment_6190951

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizens found a German article to their liking.

TLDR of True Believers' daily digest:

1. If the game was to be released in current state it should already win awards for best space sim ever made, just based on the current modules. There are no more additions needed.
2. The game is NOT in alpha yet.
3. The evil PC gaming media cabal is trying to take down CIG through underhanded and illegal means.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 2, 2016

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

aleksendr posted:

Does E:D need a joystick or can you be halfway effective with Keyboard and mouse ? It looks mighty tempting at 19.99 right now..

Most people I know play it with keyboard and mouse and say they feel well in control.
One tried stick and throttle but went back to M&K.

Edit: sorry for the late reply, I'm over a hundred pages behind on the thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

so close to being self aware

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SeaRoughAteTeaFore posted:

although it's clear to all that i am a lowly subhuman among goon titans such as yourselves, it seems to me not entirely implausible that if you give an ape human clothes, it could mayhap pretend to be a human in ways whch would be not enitrely untolerable to fine gentlegoons such as yesleves

Worked so well in Murders In The Rue Morgue too...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A Neurotic Jew posted:

^:five:

"star citizen already has more content than other similar games when you pretend the mechanics have been implemented"

I wanted to make a joke like "It would definitely win an award for 'Best Unfinished Crowd-Funded Space Sim' if an award like that existed!"

But then I realized it wouldn't actually win that award. You'd have to get ludicrously specific to make an award where Star Citizen was even competitive with Elite. Best space sim? Best crowd-funded space sim? Best crowd-funded space sim with MMO and Single-Player elements? Best crowd-funded space sim with MMO and single-player elements with a tacked-on multiplayer dogfighting arena? Nope, still Elite.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

true believers weird me out. his postings are almost a carbon copy of Octopode's in the way that they both so desperately try to tell everyone their RL qualifications.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nyeehg posted:

It's not a space sim but the Conlang (constructed language) Hymmnos was created for the Ar Tonellico game series back in 2006. There are probably other Conlangs that can be found in games but I don't know of them. At the very least, Star Citizen isn't the first game to feature a Conlang :eng101:.

It may be the first Conlang to feature in a space sim but I'm sure someone can find a counter example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_%28video_game%29

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

I have it on good authority that certain people have been looked after up front via the dodgy ' sell back shares to CIG '

The game will not come out , I know this. I have seen behind the curtain
This begs a lot of questions-- and hopefully Bootcha will weigh in. (I can understand if neither of you can or might want to answer..)

It sounds like you are saying certain insider shareholders have been cashed out at a premium. Yet was backer money used for these transactions, or has a third party bought in so that insiders may be bought out?

Bootcha was made whole on his investment-- but it doesn't sound like he profited financially beyond some exit price agreed upon prior to the crowdfunding explosion. That seems appropriate and fair.

Yet if certain insiders are being allowed to greatly profit-- if their shares are being taken out at some multiple of a buy-in price, then how is the enterprise being valued? It appears to be a company with precious little in true revenues and one with a metric crap ton of liabilities.

If the company truly is approaching their long predicted implosion-- then it seems like we'd see a whale-backed class action lawsuit. These cash out transactions are likely to be subject to scrutiny and would, in my uninformed opinion, be deemed fraudulent and subject to clawback.

This all makes Sandi's recent comments-- echoed in refund denial letters-- that CIG has delivered a substantial part of the promised game pretty telling. Taken alongside Sandi's earlier comments about her eagerness to re-pursue her acting dream because "I never really got a shot at it"-- well, it paints a provocative picture. A bit like that of a stewardess putting on her parachute at 30,000 feet while she keeps taking drink orders from the drunkards in first class.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Second reply from him is great too.

"I hate you space mom and dad!" :qq:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I was sat there for 5 minutes trying to come up with something that rhymed and was connected to sc, gave up haha.

You shave your pubes
Or you can't stay
I think about blacks the same way
I'm inhuman and in charge of HR
Here there's only room for one star

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Sarsapariller posted:

I wanted to make a joke like "It would definitely win an award for 'Best Unfinished Crowd-Funded Space Sim' if an award like that existed!"

But then I realized it wouldn't actually win that award. You'd have to get ludicrously specific to make an award where Star Citizen was even competitive with Elite. Best space sim? Best crowd-funded space sim? Best crowd-funded space sim with MMO and Single-Player elements? Best crowd-funded space sim with MMO and single-player elements with a tacked-on multiplayer dogfighting arena? Nope, still Elite.

Elite isn't the 'best space sim' at all.

Kerbal Space Program is :colbert:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

G0RF posted:

*snip*

I'm not exactly following all this talk, but a thought does occur to me, put as simply as I can in my layman's terms. Is it possible they recently stopped all refunds from the regular whales, so as they could hold as much money from their 'donations' (since they are simply donators and not actual investors legally speaking), so that they can buy off all of the actual investors they have with them before the whole shithouse goes up in flames? Since if they manage that, then they pretty much avoid any kind of legal action against them - in fact, they can keep the illusion going for as long as it takes the whales to catch on at long last as to how much extra cash they can get away with to fund CR & Sandi's Hollywood dreams.

Naturally, when it all goes down in flames they'll do some handwaving and excuses about 'downsizing' ect. and the whales will prolly still lap that poo poo up and donate more, then use some of their creative accounting to funnel it towards their Hollywood projects. But the only way I could see them pulling that off would be if they settled everything with all of their legitimate investors beforhand, thus exempting themselves from any legitimate legal action against them. After all, no judge is gonna give a poo poo about the autists pledging for their autism chariots complaining about their 'investments', but they very well might for legit investors with contracts crying that they got duped.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 2, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Watching her cry on stage
Swinging an old bouquet
Dead roses

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

Second reply from him is great too.

"I hate you space mom and dad!" :qq:

In order to avoid the unrealistic scenario of a new pilot being put in charge of fully armed space ships, he creating a back story involving an orphan child being given fully armed space ships by their mum and dad in their will.

"And to little Timmy who we gave up for adoption and have never seen since, we leave or fleet of star destroyers"

Well I'm glad we've got that plot hole well and truly sorted. Phew, for a minute I thought it wouldn't be believable!

It's no wonder these people think CR is some sort of genius story teller if their own attempts at character back stories are the sort of thing you might see scribbled in the back of a 6-year-old's diary. CR can basically do no wrong pitted against this calibre of imagination.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

IrvingWashington posted:

You shave your pubes
Or you can't stay
I think about blacks the same way
I'm inhuman and in charge of HR
Here there's only room for one star

I'm thinking of making a smiths tribute band, except I sing it all in latin and then stop every 3 minutes to tell everyone how clever I am and "You may not know but an interesting fact about latin..."

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.
The thing that pisses me off the most about Star Citizen is not the fact thait might be a scam, may never exists and it may be impossible to create.

What pisses me off most are the cringey pussified carebears begging for a PvE game, "please don't put the best loot in lawless areas", "please don't make me do PvP", "please don't allow griefers to exist", "I don't want to have to use my brain to defend myself", "I don't want lose my ship". I loving hate these little cock suckers, a new MMORPG gets announced and they flood into the community from WoW, GW2, SWTOR and highsec... Demanding that the game be REdesigned in favour of their own pussified playstyle due to their false sense of entitlement to not be repeatedly smashed to loving pieces in-game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If i don't want pvp i play single player games its this crazy trick i learned star citizens hate it

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

"NOT A SCAM! HE'S JUST INCOMPETENT!" does not explain spending $200,000 of backer money on designer furniture or prime beach front studio locations. If he was truly scrambling to create his dream he wouldn't be swindling backers on stupid excess that has nothing to do with the game.

Anyway, it could be both. Croberts is an incompetent autist that should not be entrusted with anything over a $50,000 budget, and Sandi is a scamming gold digger using him for 15 minutes of nerd fame and money.
But how can Crobbers prove to Hollywood execs people that he's a successful movie director who knows stuff about video games without LOOKING like he's successful with expensive mo-cap studios, a prime Los Angeles office location, and taste in stupid overpriced expensive furniture that was made from airplane parts?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMo4Q06f0lA

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Laserpig posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most about Star Citizen is not the fact thait might be a scam, may never exists and it may be impossible to create.

What pisses me off most are the cringey pussified carebears begging for a PvE game, "please don't put the best loot in lawless areas", "please don't make me do PvP", "please don't allow griefers to exist", "I don't want to have to use my brain to defend myself", "I don't want lose my ship". I loving hate these little cock suckers, a new MMORPG gets announced and they flood into the community from WoW, GW2, SWTOR and highsec... Demanding that the game be REdesigned in favour of their own pussified playstyle due to their false sense of entitlement to not be repeatedly smashed to loving pieces in-game.

non-consensual pvp is literally worse than rape

(This argument has been made on the forums)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

xanif posted:

Alongside the argument, that any piracy should naturally lead to ingame rape.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

EightAce thanks for the clarification.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 2, 2016

Laserpig
Jul 13, 2013

I am not credible.

xanif posted:

When I mercilessly obliterate you in game, the most I'm hoping for is for you to fight back and have fun, or, feel a slight sense of frustration and throw your monitor against the wall. But if you want to get all emotional about it and consider yourself sexually violated then that's absolutely splendid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Has Roberts released any new info on the smuggling child corpses feature?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm not exactly following all this talk, but a thought does occur to me, put as simply as I can in my layman's terms. Is it possible they recently stopped all refunds from the regular whales, so as they could hold as much money from them (since they are simply donators and not actual investors legally speaking), so that they can buy off all of the actual investors they have with them before the whole shithouse goes up in flames? Since if they manage that, then they pretty much avoid any kind of legal action against them - in fact, they can keep the illusion going for as long as it takes the whales to catch on at long last as to how much extra cash they can get away with to fund CR & Sandi's Hollywood dreams.

Naturally, when it all goes down in flames they'll do some handwaving and excuses about 'downsizing' ect. and the whales will prolly still lap that poo poo up and donate more, then use some of their creative accounting to funnel it towards their Hollywood projects. But the only way I could see them pulling that off would be if they settled everything with all of their legitimate investors, thus exempting themselves from any legitimate legal action against them.

I think the allegation is more that they setup a bunch of private companies with the individuals they wanted to profit as shareholders. Then had CIG buy out these individuals transferring large lumps sums of cash to the individuals and company ownership to CIG. I've no idea if that happened or what the actual laws are about this stuff are. I guess if a private company wants to pay an absurd amount of money for the shares in another private company they can. Private companies get run into the ground all the time by dumb spending. It's only when you are dealing with outside money you have to be accountable, think outside investors, insurers and credit. If it's just your money on the line you can waste it on whatever you want.

It doesn't look like CIG do any planning for failure so if it all goes wrong it might expose dodgy financial dealings that land some in trouble. On the other hand you have to remember the idea a bunch of individuals would give a private company over 100 million is absurd, so the law might not work. Could be it all ends up in a way most would say is morally wrong let no laws were broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

stinch posted:

Could be it all ends up in a way most would say is morally wrong let no laws were broken.
Star Citizen: Morally wrong, yet no laws were broken.

• Locked thread