Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
derek will you accept jpegs as restitution in the lawsuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Is that oral herpes in his mouth?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Can we start posting recipes to shut you babies up yet holy crap this thread goes from comedy gold to goon meltdown slap fight almost every other page. Shut the gently caress up already

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I figured it out. They're buying as many custom avs as possible to drain Derek's legal funds. The plan is solid and will stop the impending doom we can't win :negative:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Holy cow that bot moves fast. I bet it has something to do with views/votes on imgur to take a certain number of reports to be deleted so those top images won't go anywhere.

edit: WTF it got my refund gif repost again

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Why not have the bot bleed into other sub-reddits? Might as well have a little fun with this.

https://i.imgur.com/Vqniwjl.png
https://i.imgur.com/IX02Gtu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lwbGtxB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NmSBVDt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/64LaYdV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VBUryI6.jpg

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Wheelchair or not acting like an assclown on the internet has repercussions. I'm not for or against Derek doing whatever he wants to that's his prerogative but this kid gotta realize that goons even saying this is low are not on his side. When you say poo poo like thinking we want to be cool with you doesn't justify your actions. Don't be an rear end in a top hat on the internet. Public figure or not that does not give you a free pass to antagonize them constantly because they hurt your fee fees.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Wafflz posted:

Being cool and being a full on cult of croberts fanatic, wheels or not, seem mutually exclusive.

Probably. Also to those saying "b-b-b-but disabled people can't be bullies!"

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/teen-arrested-for-30-swattings-bomb-threats/comment-page-1/

Feel free to read through that if you don't remember the Canadian arrested for SWATing. Surprise! He has a mental disability. Also in high school there was a severe autistic kid who was obsessed with ECW and in constant trouble for saying extremely inappropriate things to people and promptly beating them up.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Derek I got an honest question for you. Why are you so forthcoming with your legal plans against CiG? Whenever a civil case is being drafted with my lawyers they've always said to keep quiet after initial contact due to saying something publicly afterwards that can bite you in the rear end during discovery. Granted the cases I've been a part of aren't game related it just seems odd to be so open about it all.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
gizmo demands the blog post or else her pictures will become pngs

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I would try and quickly dust those blinds with its tail but only with thick gloves on as it may get annoyed near the top of the blind

she does a good job of that on her own

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

wait just yesterday he was bragging about how stable his stream was after the latest patch. I even watched for about 10 minutes and he actually *didn't crash* which surprised me.

Now he's back to crashing constantly? So what did that patch actually do. lol.

From what I heard the short while of watching the stream he said that more people are playing and the servers can't handle it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yeah after my experience with Towns, Starbound and Edge of Space I flat out don't do early access anymore unless the game is basically done. Overall early access is a cancer and many games shouldn't be in it or perpetually stuck in ear'y access.

I just noticed Edge of Space left early access and I'm going to bet the quests are still not implemented at all.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

To be fair Elite does hold the guiness world record for longest game development time

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-protracted-game-development

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

CashEnsign posted:

So one of my Corp mates suggested I do this and I'm mentally preparing myself for the shitstorm of comments to follow, but long story short my soon yo be ex wife is extremely needy and unable to occupy her time without a man in her physical presence. At first this was awesome, but as Eve became more intriguing to me she became upset. I've tried to explain to her that I use eve to help with my ptsd from the war... As opposed to running outside doing some stupid poo poo and getting arrested.... So here I am now letting it all out on the line. I've spoken to close friends and Corp mates and most have had a similar sentiment... gently caress her she's no good regardless of what she looks like. So Ask Me Anything. oh and since people have asked this is what she looks like http://imgur.com/SLHVMZx

Very let down the picture isn't of a jpeg spaceship

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dirty Hairy posted:

To be fair, Elite: Dangerous is the fourth game in the series and launched its Kickstarter on November 5th, 2012. Not fourteen years ago.

I wasn't quantifying the game vs crowd sourcing more just pointing out the game has been around the block for a long time because people were laughing at the chart. It's a great game and crowd sourced right but it still is amazing that it holds that record. I only came across it from clicking through Guinness' lovely website one night. There's even a record for the most injuries while playing a video game

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Hey it's an admission by elite themselves don't hate god drat

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

T.G. Xarbala posted:

also realtalk nobody really pays any more attention to derek smart as anybody else in the thread,

but since he started doing smaller posts sometimes he drops some hot burns at Star Citizens' expense and i appreciate that

adds to the local colour

i don't keep up because this thread gets like 2k posts in a day

is the lawsuit never happening then?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So has Derek sued CiG yet

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

It's funny because if they are using JIRA (or basically any ticketing system) they are probably using the SaaS version and could easily recover any conversations that happen

I think I saw zendesk in the replies which yeah, they can recover anything from it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus, it's like nobody ever hung out in STV in WoW or something. Getting ganked is always going to be a thing. There's nothing you can do to fight it, especially not with the way they have things set up currently. Just submit.

Excuse me sir but the games you cited do not have a space court which will solve all these issues

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Avalanche posted:

Just remembered...

Isn't literally everything in this game clientside?

If this game even gets close to being a widely distributed beta, it is going to get hacked to loving death.

Surely this can't be true? I'm half tempted to buy this game just so I can load up some tools and tear it to shreds

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Avalanche posted:

Just remembered...

Isn't literally everything in this game clientside?

If this game even gets close to being a widely distributed beta, it is going to get hacked to loving death.

Well I did some digging and there's some dev who commented a lot on the initial server architecture

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17417/ask-our-network-programmer-tom-sawyer

Guy seems pretty knowledgable but why oh why did they decide to go with nosql as their backend :psypop:

Then again that's from 2013 so they (hopefully) learned their lesson quick

Cassandra has no built-in transaction rollback due to the distributed nature along with a world of problems running it in clusters located around the world. I had to administrate two clusters housed on opposite sides of the USA and any latency greater than around 50ms made the entire thing implode and nodes started flapping like crazy. Good luck scaling that worldwide.

Aside from that the server notes seemed pretty normal for an online game

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chin posted:

How do they go from something that seems pretty normal in 2013 to Chris in late 2015 saying that they still have issues on their 16-player server with everyone receiving info about everything everyone else is interacting with regardless of distance and location?

Just bad coding in general. In most normal games a server takes all the relative actions from a client, simulates what's going on server-side from everyone and feeds only what's important to that single person.

If online game coding gives you a nerd boner whatever that company is that makes EVE has a ton of really good blog posts about how they leveraged their architecture to the point of basically breaking their database servers beyond anyone has ever imagined at one point.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/

Looks like they just did one recently outlaying all the underlying technology in the new 'verse for 2016. And they use MSSQL now so that's neat.

CiG on the other hand is leveraging "the cloud" meaning "we bought an ec2 instance because it's web 2.0" and throwing around some buzzphrases of different tech that emerges in cloud world but don't really seem to add up to a viable product. Their idea is spin up/down their little pods all around the world, decentralize the 'verse and somehow tie it back to their main area and magically the massive delay from going halfway around the world isn't an issue. When you don't have controls of your edge routers or upstream providers you'll find really fast this isn't really an option.

CCP on the other hand have stayed located in a single data center went n+1 across the board and even went so far as to implement some sort of SDN at the routing level to better-route their outbound traffic over their upstream provider. So compare the two notes and you can draw an idea of how half-assed CiG is.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Nyeehg posted:

There's also a surprising amount of people saying "no way this is getting released in 2016". Hell, a few are saying"The game already sucks/is bad because...".

The tide seems to be turning and once it does, it'll all be over for CIG.

:munch:

People have been saying this about bitcoin for years now yet somehow the thing still chugs along like some retarded mutant refusing to die

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Considering most air flight is automated in reality and cars are going that way truly futuristic space ships would be about as exciting as farming simulator.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Trust me it's pretty common in America too. He's just a total dimwit.

while it's pretty common it seems like this year may be the year for "them muslim people" to take the trophy for most white-washed racist phrase in america

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

that's just insane... i have quite the extensive collection of ~retro~ consoles and even with my mounds of systems, upscalers, tvs, scart cables, whatever i haven't even scratched half of that amount of dollars on stupid man baby toys

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

2DCAT posted:

Star Marine is out guys! gj croberts! This is really on part with Battlefield and CoD. In many ways, I think it's even better than Battlefield and CoD. Thanks again croberts for making our dreams a reality!

My favorite part about Star Marine is the shotgun

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

trucutru posted:

No, Star Marine was never supposed to be out, why did you guys get this idea?. Star Marine is what they called what they did while they were waiting to have a system that could handle all the features they wanted. Now that they have one. they will incrementally add the FPS functionality upon it until it's all good, at which point, probably after launch, they will have an arena-fps implementation similar to Star Marine. It'll totally be there but no promises about it, ok?

Please get your facts straight.

So never then?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Regarding press involvement, watch this space, I have something in the pipeline.

please be more real than the lawsuit

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Booblord Zagats posted:

Just read this article and it seems even the positive spin that most are trying to put on the project seems to be turning sour. Anyone hoping for even any level of credibility as a journalist or just a moderate on the issue admits that DSmart is making accurate allegations and valid criticisms at this point, regardless of his reasoning for doing so.

At this point I';m starting to think Derek would be better off leaving trhe business of making games and just getting himself on with kickstarter as a fraud investigator because with all the poo poo going on with kickstarter projects turning sour, a known bloodhound working with them to help stamp it out may be the best way for them to garner some goodwill and avoid legislation turning against them

Wait how is mad catz even able to do a controller? They pretty much bet the farm on Rockband 4 and if it tanks they said they were pretty much hosed.

http://www.gamecrate.com/mad-catz-staves-financial-ruin-doubles-down-rock-band-4/11240

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

Can someone with knowledge of game development (I don't care how much) give me a run down on how real live people with that much money, office space, and employees failed to deliver on almost everything imaginable?

Like, no joke, how is that even possible? I know games fail every so often, but most games get released. What did they do for 3 years?

Not a game dev but been around enough failed projects and startups that I can tell ya. Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Now take everyone but the expert in this video and multiply it out to the entirety of higher ups at CiG. Eventually the expert/programmers go "sure gently caress it, we can do that. Whatever." and deliver something

Higher ups go "no no no, see we wanted <impossible thing>" and so they go back and redo and show again, repeat etc.

Do this enough times and a few years later you have some proof of concepts drafted up from your experts but no final project because you really wanted green lines made out of red and asking the impossible. Eventually money runs dry and you're done.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

skaboomizzy posted:

Seriously, I welcome all useful input. I'm too stupid/clumsy to build my own and I know jack poo poo about hardware. I'm currently on a Vista PC from Dell that I bought in 2009 for like $250.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this is exactly the kind of website I've been looking for. Thank you.

Post your build in SH/SC's build thread should be on the first page. Goons are spergy enough to have more than enough suggestions to either save a lil money or get more power for the same price you're plopping down

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Something that doesn't exist, and by all accounts never will, is one of the best things in life.

Well if sa history is anything to believe it will exist within the next fallout

http://www.dorkly.com/post/69113/incredibly-great-references-in-fallout-new-vegas

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Holy poo poo what does their qa department even do then? Do they have a qa department? An example of real QA I had to recreate an issue where a db listener just decided to gently caress off and stop responding. It only happened with 10k+ cps. You can bet I wrote up a test case to recreate it outside of production to debug and fix it :psypop:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to come up with a list of the successful goon games made during my time on something awful I'll put the list here:

1.???????????????

wasn't the guy who made doodle jump or cut the rope a goon i forget which

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
also cliffyb used to post on sa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting