Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IMO something like a Sonos Amp/Wiim Amp but with an Apple TV built in would be a great product but the larger market is getting so allergic to using actual speakers, it's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

jokes posted:

I can say that 100% of the people who have listened to my HomePod setup are very impressed, and otherwise everyone gets a sound bar. I don't know if it has to do with my acoustics or something, but HomePods are extremely good speakers (and really not great assistants).

It also works extremely well with the ATV but doesn't really work with anything else.

It works great using earc on my lg
Oled so my Xbox can use them too.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've determined the issue is actually the Max app on AppleTV just has terrible audio.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perhaps after deleting all their movies WB realized they were still losing money and are now turning all their audio to mono mp3's to save bandwidth. :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t think Max audio is lower quality but it’s definitely quieter.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Wiim Amp

It really whips the llama’s rear end

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I still haven’t found a better music player and it’s been ~15 years since I transitioned from Windows to Mac. Sad, really.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Xabi posted:

I still haven’t found a better music player and it’s been ~15 years since I transitioned from Windows to Mac. Sad, really.

Can’t speak for everyone but boy do I love the big album art in the Music app on the AppleTV when I go to artist view.

GentleReject
Jan 16, 2024
Watch Gentlemen

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have YouTube premium basically for the no-ads upgrade. However, I'm really used to SponsorBlock on my desktop. Is there a way to implement SponsorBlock on the AppleTV, either with the native Youtube client or a 3rd party workaround?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have YouTube premium basically for the no-ads upgrade. However, I'm really used to SponsorBlock on my desktop. Is there a way to implement SponsorBlock on the AppleTV, either with the native Youtube client or a 3rd party workaround?

https://github.com/dmunozv04/iSponsorBlockTV

Google “appletv sponsorblock”

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I assume since this is just a docker container I could run it on my NAS as the source (which already has other containers for various TV things)?

e: yeah that's what it does

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 20, 2024

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

I assume since this is just a docker container I could run it on my NAS as the source (which already has other containers for various TV things)?

e: yeah that's what it does

Yep. That’s what I do.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VPN to the Ukraine and sign up for YouTube premium for $4 a month for a family. Invite your friends to the premium account and you’ll be everybody’s favorite person. Charge them if you must.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Corb3t posted:

VPN to the Ukraine and sign up for YouTube premium for $4 a month for a family. Invite your friends to the premium account and you’ll be everybody’s favorite person. Charge them if you must.

Hm.. all I have is free TunnelBear and it doesn't have Ukraine and most nodes YouTube doesn't recognize anyway, anything free I can use for this as a one-shot?

e: Kenya is $7 apparently

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 22, 2024

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I use Argentina and it’s like less than $2 for an individual

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Corb3t posted:

i've been doing this for a few years but with argentina on a solo plan. they've increased the price by double or more a few times (probably due to the volatility of the argentine peso), but it's still cheap af

original price: ARS119 (equivalent to $1.12 at the time)
hike 1: ARS389
hike 2: ARS869
hike 3: ARS1899 (equivalent to $3)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At $3 it’s not far off just joining up with some other people to do a family plan if you think you’d commit for a year.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Corb3t posted:

I don’t want to derail this thread too much but please refer to it as ‘Ukraine’, not ‘the Ukraine’, if possible - thanks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I heard the Ukraine doesn’t like that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s istanbul not constantinople

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I am taking a cruise to Caribbean next month, then off to Netherlands, back to United States of America and then having dinner at Cheesecake Factory with Dwayne “Rock” Johnson.

Living the life, I’ll tell you hwat :slick:

E: President Obama said it :smugdon:

:thanks:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 22, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

When Ukraine became an independent nation in 1991, its leaders asked that the article “the” be dropped when referring to Ukraine. Ukraine’s etymologically descents from an old Slavic word for “borderland,” which would normally carry an article in front of it, and when it was part of the USSR the name made more sense in that context, but if Ukraine’s government has stated their preference to simply be referred to as “Ukraine,” then just respect that?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

quote:

The name of Ukraine is frequently interpreted as coming from the old Slavic term for 'borderland' as is the word krajina.[20] Another interpretation is that the name of Ukraine means "region" or "country."
In the English-speaking world during most of the 20th century, Ukraine (whether independent or not) was referred to as "the Ukraine".[21] This is because the word ukraina means 'borderland'[22] so the definite article would be natural in the English language; this is similar to Nederlanden, which means 'low lands' and is rendered in English as "the Netherlands".[23] However, since Ukraine's declaration of independence in 1991, this usage has become politicised and is now rarer, and style guides advise against its use.[24][25] US ambassador William Taylor said that using "the Ukraine" implies disregard for Ukrainian sovereignty.[26] The official Ukrainian position is that "the Ukraine" is both grammatically and politically incorrect.
We can all copy/paste Wikipedia.
But honestly, I think they're currently more pissed off about what THE MUTHA RUSHA is doing to them than pedantically white-knighting the lack of the article "the."

YMMV v:shobon:v

I love the "I don't mean to derail, buuuutttt...." posts :ukraine:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think it’s ok to ask people not to inadvertently use language that might be incredibly prickly or politically charged towards people who are having a tough time of things, and who also use the internet. There’s tons of politically charged language or otherwise thorny language that most Americans don’t use for good reasons too, which people on this site pick up on if it gets misused, so you really don’t have to be a baby about this one. I think I was pretty polite about the whole thing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I agree that you are very polite in your virtue signaling.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Can we uhh, shut the gently caress up about not-AppleTV things now?

CSPAM is that way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GentleReject posted:

Watch Gentlemen

Isn't that on netflix?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

eightysixed posted:

We can all copy/paste Wikipedia.
But honestly, I think they're currently more pissed off about what THE MUTHA RUSHA is doing to them than pedantically white-knighting the lack of the article "the."
ukraine:

The last thing I’ll say considering this is the loving appletv thread of all places is that I live somewhere with lots of Ukrainian friends and neighbours, and people genuinely get pretty angry and upset if you use the ‘the’, it was considered a slur before the war and those feelings have only heightened for people since. It’s not hard to understand why, it’s not pedantry, there are other slurs people don’t use on SA anymore, we are past this website’s edgelord era and are better off for it.
But it’s also easy and understandable not to know you’ve got it wrong and said something inadvertently offensive, which is why I corrected the poster. That’s all.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’m pretty stoked over non-jailbroken emulation coming to the ATV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

It’s just ATV. Thank you for respecting that.

With emulation coming I’m a bit sad I didn’t get the 64GB one ATV. The dolphin emulator should be drat awesome and I’m reasonably sure it should be able to upscale game cube games to 4K.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah makes more sense to have extra space now, I didn’t think emulation would ever be an option at the time of buying but my how times change.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

With emulation coming I’m a bit sad I didn’t get the 64GB one ATV. The dolphin emulator should be drat awesome and I’m reasonably sure it should be able to upscale game cube games to 4K.

Dolphin's not coming

https://oatmealdome.me/blog/why-dolphin-isnt-coming-to-the-app-store/

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Apparently airplay from Delta on your phone works really well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the worst news I’ve read today.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This :v:

It also fits their whole moniker “Look what I can do on iPad!” “I use iPhone to call people!” “With Pencil I can kill people in a bar like John Wick, leave Dog alone!”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Consider that there's a port of Dolphin to the loving Vision Pro of all things.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

No Dolphin is a bummer for sure, hope they can get that sorted out. SSX & offspring are one of my all-time favorites.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dicty Bojangles posted:

No Dolphin is a bummer for sure, hope they can get that sorted out.

They couldn't even get Dolphin on Steam without Nintendo immediately DMCA'ing the whole thing. It's very likely not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

They couldn't even get Dolphin on Steam without Nintendo immediately DMCA'ing the whole thing. It's very likely not happening.

Nintendo cracked down on the Steam release because they were using actual Wii firmware code in the emulator (which I think they pulled out very quickly once that happened), it wasn't a DMCA thing they just got asked about it by Valve and said no. Like I said, the DolphiniOS fork has been shown running on a Vision Pro already.