Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every time I turn on my TV lately it flashes this at me

And I'm like :flip: to u too buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Most annoying pet peeve about the Apple TV:

I'm setup using the recommended "4K SDR 60Hz - Match Frame Rate ON - Match Dynamic Range - ON" settings.

Whenever I watch any movie, there's a dropout on the TV when it has to switch from 60Hz to 24Hz. If the movie happens to be in DolbyVision or HDR, the dropout is longer because it also switches the picture mode to DV or HDR.

That's fine. It would be nice if it happened faster, but I can live with it.

The annoying part is when I pause the movie and go to the bathroom or something, and the TV switches to screensaver. Because the screensavers are in 60Hz SDR, it has to switch the TV back over to that to play the screensavers, and then back AGAIN when I want to unpause the movie.

Technically, this is the Apple TV working as I set it to. It's changing the frame rate and dynamic range to that of the screensavers. But I wish there was an option to tell it to ignore that setting for screensavers. I don't care if the screensaver that's on while my movie is paused is color-mapped and playing back juddery because it's at 24Hz.

Behold, the MOST First World Problem!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Most annoying pet peeve about the Apple TV:

I'm setup using the recommended "4K SDR 60Hz - Match Frame Rate ON - Match Dynamic Range - ON" settings.

Whenever I watch any movie, there's a dropout on the TV when it has to switch from 60Hz to 24Hz. If the movie happens to be in DolbyVision or HDR, the dropout is longer because it also switches the picture mode to DV or HDR.

That's fine. It would be nice if it happened faster, but I can live with it.

The annoying part is when I pause the movie and go to the bathroom or something, and the TV switches to screensaver. Because the screensavers are in 60Hz SDR, it has to switch the TV back over to that to play the screensavers, and then back AGAIN when I want to unpause the movie.

Technically, this is the Apple TV working as I set it to. It's changing the frame rate and dynamic range to that of the screensavers. But I wish there was an option to tell it to ignore that setting for screensavers. I don't care if the screensaver that's on while my movie is paused is color-mapped and playing back juddery because it's at 24Hz.

Behold, the MOST First World Problem!

I believe the latest AppleTV support Quick Media Switching for faster transition between framerates. Your TV would need to support it, too, though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Corb3t posted:

I believe the latest AppleTV support Quick Media Switching for faster transition between framerates. Your TV would need to support it, too, though.

Thanks for this. I went far down a rabbit hole because my TV (LG C2) does support VRR and GSYNC so I thought I would get this, but unfortunately this specific implementation is called QMS and is not supported on my TV, only starting with the C3 series and onward.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Set your screensaver to a longer timeout.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

Set your screensaver to a longer timeout.

It’s an OLED so probably don’t wanna do that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Any OLED made in the last 5 years will have at least 1000 hour life and since they’re pausing movies/tv which aren’t likely to have consistent static imagery between scenes unless a rather severe bout of constipation arises I doubt it would be much of an issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My OLED isn’t from the last 5 years, has well exceeded ten thousand hours, and that kinda stuff has always not been something I worry too much about and everything is fine. A few people get super unlucky but it’s mainly people running news channels 24/7 that are likely gonna have issues. I still remember having a plasma and a friend managed to ‘burn’ in the Battlefield ammo counter (luckily I eventually got it to go away after a few days).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My last OLED before this one suffered from screen burn in. But that was like 12 hours a day of video games in HDR for a year during Covid, so I couldn't get too upset about it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Are there any good replacement remotes that don’t need line of sight? Annoyed that I have suffered the random “power button falls off the Siri Remote” and apple wont replace it. I know there are ways of getting around it but I liked the convenience. My ATV is in a cabinet so IR remotes won’t fly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The stock remote doesn't need line of sight at all. It uses wifi or bluetooth or some poo poo. The only exception is if you need IR for your soundbar or something.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cozmosis posted:

Are there any good replacement remotes that don’t need line of sight? Annoyed that I have suffered the random “power button falls off the Siri Remote” and apple wont replace it. I know there are ways of getting around it but I liked the convenience. My ATV is in a cabinet so IR remotes won’t fly.

I like the button simplicity of my Function 101 remote (https://function101.com/pages/button-remote-for-apple-tv-home), but obviously it doesn’t do gestures. I just use my iPhone as a remote in I ever need that option, which is barely ever with my usage.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cozmosis posted:

I just bought this:

Connects via Bluetooth to the Apple TV. I'm not in love with it, I should probably spend the time reconfiguring our Harmony remotes while they still work, the hand feel isn't great.

THAT SAID, it works, meets my goals of having an Apple TV remote less prone to being lost and not having to dig out a separate remote when I want to use the Blu-ray player or adjust some setting on the TV. It was $50, it's solid for $50 as long as your expectations are it is a much more customizable version of the universal remotes of 20 years ago,

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The buttons on my harmony are starting to act up. They don't register presses sometimes. I have been looking at these. I assume they work like old school universal remotes in that you have to select what you want to control one at a time instead of harmony's activity based controls that let you control volume on a receiver but other buttons work with the Apple TV for instance?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a SofaBaton and it’s pretty solid. Sometimes you gotta power cycle the base to get it to work but it beats dealing with using four remotes to control a tv, Apple TV, ps5 and receiver.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks. Once my harmony breaks down I'll end up trying out the Sofabaton.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I'm begging you Tim Apple put DTS audio support into the next Apple TV.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Flowing Thot posted:

I'm begging you Tim Apple put DTS audio support into the next Apple TV.

The only thing I’ve wanted for years and years is the ability to bitstream audio. It just feels out of spite they don’t allow it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I never understood why the Apple TV doesn't have that option. They added stuff like match range and frame rate. You'd think they would add bitstream output but nope.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think it’s a different license to have a decoder and I’m guessing Dolby and DTS have super hosed up agreements because the only way to get a surround decoder not on an AVR or multi-kilobuck processor is a hideously expensive PC license.

It’s just super weird to me that you can buy a $249 receiver that can do it [but no pre outs] but there’s nothing stand-alone that’s just a decoder at any price.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

qirex posted:

I think it’s a different license to have a decoder and I’m guessing Dolby and DTS have super hosed up agreements because the only way to get a surround decoder not on an AVR or multi-kilobuck processor is a hideously expensive PC license.

If they added it as a downloadable app for 50 bucks it would be solve the "license it for every user that won't ever touch it" issue.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Except then everyone whines that they're charging for functionality.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly at this point I’m not even sure I would be able to tell the difference between any of them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think there’s a lossless vs lossy test I’ve ever passed. As long as the audio stream isn’t over compressed or has artifacting for whatever reason, I’m usually pretty good.

I still want to add rear surrounds to my setup again even if I don’t think I have particularly great directional hearing and probably won’t add much (like previous times I’ve done this. Doesn’t help the speakers never have much distance from where I’m sitting).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I've been seriously considering an Apple TV thing, between needing a little box like that for one of my main TVs and some actual game exclusives I certainly wouldn't mind playing on a larger screen (mostly stuff from Sega).

But the last model came out two years ago and if I were to buy one now and a month later a new model shows up, boy, would that make me feel like having pie on my face??

There's probably no specific rhyme or reason for when a new model will come out, but for thread regulars what does the situation look like now?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I bought an Apple TV sometime last year and I honestly don't know what they could do to improve the hardware in a way that would make a meaningful difference to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, the current 4K is already better than it really needs to be. Unless they want to push Arcade more (lmao) there's unlikely to be anything other than minor upgrades for a long while yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They need to put an actual AirTag into the remote. The locator thing is kinda okay, but an AirTag that chirps would be better.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

kri kri posted:

They need to put an actual AirTag into the remote. The locator thing is kinda okay, but an AirTag that chirps would be better.

I agree. I have an AppleTV in the bedroom and a Roku Ultra in the living room, and on the actual Ultra there is a button that makes the remote chirp until you find it and hit a button. I also wish my AppleTV had this :(

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
They could start making the AppleTV 4K smaller next, that would also be nice.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only thing rumored in the next AppleTV is a FaceTime camera so I doubt it will perform much better or faster or have any killer features that would make you regret buying a current gen model.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
A FaceTime cam makes a lot of sense. Then, combine the FaceTime cam with their rudimentary gesture tracking for the dumb balloons / fireworks / thumbs ups animations plus the gesture data they’ve gotten from developing the Vision to enable a minority report style gesture-based interface. Now losing the remote doesn’t matter.

Embed a microphone so that it can have Siri built into the box itself, not just the remote.

Enable Atmos height data decoding so that I’m finally incentivized to install Atmos speakers.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I thought a HomePod / atv combo was rumored. Also they should add the ability to add more HomePods.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Saoshyant posted:

I've been seriously considering an Apple TV thing, between needing a little box like that for one of my main TVs and some actual game exclusives I certainly wouldn't mind playing on a larger screen (mostly stuff from Sega).

But the last model came out two years ago and if I were to buy one now and a month later a new model shows up, boy, would that make me feel like having pie on my face??

There's probably no specific rhyme or reason for when a new model will come out, but for thread regulars what does the situation look like now?

Some products get refreshed like clockwork, the ATV is not one of them. In that scenario, just buy one. Even if a new one comes out in a couple months, the one you have probably won't be that much different to where you'd have wasted your money.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the biggest innovation in a long time was just ... making the remote bigger

i have the first gen 4k tv, and i don't really feel like any of the updates leave me behind, but you might as well wait for the tv's to go on the typical discount where you get an apple gift code with your purchase. i think the last time this happened was for some back to school stuff around july/august?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jose Oquendo posted:

Some products get refreshed like clockwork, the ATV is not one of them. In that scenario, just buy one. Even if a new one comes out in a couple months, the one you have probably won't be that much different to where you'd have wasted your money.

njsykora posted:

Yeah, the current 4K is already better than it really needs to be. Unless they want to push Arcade more (lmao) there's unlikely to be anything other than minor upgrades for a long while yet.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

I had a friend 3d print a case for the remote with an airtag slot built in. I only used it on the pre-locator remote though. I'm sure there's a new STL for the new remote.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pseudo cross posting from the home theater thread, but can anyone give me an idea of how good or bad the HomePod stereo pair with AppleTV actually sound compared to an Atmos-enabled 3.1.3 soundbar w/ sub? If I can't get things working right with my soundbar I think this is the option I'm inclined to go with, especially since it seems now I can use eARC to send audio from my PS5/Xbox/Switch to the HomePods through the AppleTV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can say that 100% of the people who have listened to my HomePod setup are very impressed, and otherwise everyone gets a sound bar. I don't know if it has to do with my acoustics or something, but HomePods are extremely good speakers (and really not great assistants).

It also works extremely well with the ATV but doesn't really work with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have an AirPod mini or whatever they’re called connected to the Apple TV in the bedroom. Even just the one blows the tv speakers out of the water. I don’t know if I’d do a legit setup with them but my expectations were exceeded.