Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is there a way to view recently updated apps and patch notes like on iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lots of little niggles posted but one I have that's a little more than minor is whenever I boot up the ATV the ATV remote is nonresponsive for about 15 seconds and then I see a little pop up in the upper right that says "remote connected" and the. It works. Anyone else?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the Netflix app isn't as good as it was on ATV3, but it also just seems like the Netflix apps on various other devices, so I guess they're just unifying in that regard.

Anyone know how to skip songs when playing Radio? I might be missing something really obvious but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Also, I taught it to use the IR to change the receiver volume, which is neat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the Netflix app isn't as good as it was on ATV3, but it also just seems like the Netflix apps on various other devices, so I guess they're just unifying in that regard.

Anyone know how to skip songs when playing Radio? I might be missing something really obvious but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Also, I taught it to use the IR to change the receiver volume, which is neat.

The Radio song skipping seems to be broken. While the progress bar is showing, put your thumb on the right side of the touchpad. A skip track button appears. When you push it though, nothing happens. In playlists, this function skips to the next song. But in Radio, there is no upcoming song to skip to so it doesn't do anything. Seems like something they'll fix.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So Siri can't control music on here? What the gently caress?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Thank you, early adopters, for all that you do.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bass Bottles posted:

Thank you, early adopters, for all that you do.

It's an honor to be a first responder.

Harold
Oct 28, 2004

Don't make me post something.
So does anyone know how to force siri to work for us people in countries who Apple deem to be undeserving?

I've tried changing the region with no luck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Canceled my order last night and grabbed one at the local Best Buy. Sure it has it's day one issues and lack of content but it's a lot better than the 3rd one as a base. I'm really happy with the purchase. The animations linked with the touch controls are absolutely lovely. If you're freaking out and trying to cancel because ~bugs~ just relax. It's the best set top box I've used and I've messed with quite a few.

The aerial photos are loving gorgeous

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Is the power cable for the new model the same as the old one? I've got my old one wrapped up in tidy tubing and will do anything to avoid the four minutes it'd take to remove and replace it.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

Is the power cable for the new model the same as the old one? I've got my old one wrapped up in tidy tubing and will do anything to avoid the four minutes it'd take to remove and replace it.

Yep! 30 seconds to unplug the old one and plug the new one in, no cable wrangling required.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm using all the exact same cables as the old one so I didn't root around behind entertainment center.

New complaint: I cannot figure out how to get to my queue in the Hulu app

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

mulls posted:

New complaint: I cannot figure out how to get to my queue in the Hulu app
Scroll down, way down. Then over.

Just where you'd expect it.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

dexter6 posted:

Jesus Christ. OK final verdict: Apple TV is super good but launched too early and all of the third parties are assholes. In retrospect, I get why apple insisted on developing the old channels.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Apple did develop the old ones. I think they put very tight design restrictions on the companies putting up channels. There was still quite a bit of variance in how they looked. For instance, the WWE Network app on here is identical to the one on the ATV3, which looks nothing like either the previous Netflix channel nor the current Netflix app.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'll say this: they new HBO GO app retains all the functionality of the old app but looks absolutely gorgeous now.

The new Netflix app makes me feel like I'm using Netflix on the original Nintendo Wii.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of the Wii, I downloaded a free game called Hit Tennis 3 and while it's not a very good game, it hints at some fun motion control possibilities which had me smiling.

[I missed out /skipped out on the Wii craze.]

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Can you pair two bluetooth output devices at the same time? I know it can do one (speaker, headphones, etc) and I don't know anything that can do multiple, but I'm hopeful...

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

Wait, what? On mine the Hulu Queue is on the first row. It is way over to the right, where it took me forever to find it, but at least it's on the first row.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Looks like the iTunes wishlist and Apple TV wishlist are still separate entities. Because that makes perfect sense.

e: Also, my 2007 Samsung works with the auto-on/source select feature, and the remote controls volume via IR. Just missing out on auto off.

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 31, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I can use the touch remote to adjust volume on the receiver, but it (and the TV) won't shut down when I turn off the Apple TV. Am I missing something?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xabi posted:

I can use the touch remote to adjust volume on the receiver, but it (and the TV) won't shut down when I turn off the Apple TV. Am I missing something?
Sounds like you don't have HDMI-CEC enabled on your TV. Manufacturers call this different names in their settings, so here's a list: http://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any way to browse the App Store? All I see are featured and search.

Edit:
I've got an HDMI based home theatre surround receiver so on my tv everything is on the HDMI1 input. I can be watching tv through my cable box or playing a game on the Xbox one and the Apple TV will go to sleep. When it goes to sleep its sending some signal to my tv that gets passed through the surround receiver even though the surround receiver is on another one of its inputs at the time and my tv responds with "any net+ device disconnected" or something like that ( it's a 2007 Samsung LCD) and spontaneously switches inputs on the tv from HDMI1 to the internal tv tuner. I disabled sleep on the Apple TV and it hasn't done it since.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2015

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

cvisors posted:

It seems that Air Video has been released for the Apple TV. So far so good.
While I'm sure it's not as good as Plex, I've been an Air Video user for a number of years now, so this is fantastic news.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

ufarn posted:

Sounds like you don't have HDMI-CEC enabled on your TV. Manufacturers call this different names in their settings, so here's a list: http://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/.

Thank you very much for this. The remote to my Marantz receiver broke and I'm pretty sure this is gonna fix it. Good excuse to get one for me haha

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Another annoying part of Music: In "My Music", it shows the music attached to your iCloud account. But you can't easily see the rest of the artists albums that Apple music has, but you don't have. On OSX and other iOS devices, it has "My Music" and "All Music" for an artist, but the tvOS does not have that yet. So if I want to, say, see the music videos of an Artist, I have to search for the artist, THEN select them through that, then I can see their videos and play them.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
My primary disappointment with the new ATV is that there is no apparent improvement in handling multiple accounts. A set-top box is inherently a multi-user device, and I don't particularly want other users' plays and preferences influencing my Apple Music recommendations and whatnot.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Not sure if this happens in the English UI, but this is what I see in Japanese:

It corrects itself when you select them. :thumbsup:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No one else with the delayed remote-connecting?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

Not sure if this happens in the English UI, but this is what I see in Japanese:

It corrects itself when you select them. :thumbsup:

Could you explain to someone who doesn't speak Japanese what is happening here?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

Could you explain to someone who doesn't speak Japanese what is happening here?

The text for "Playlist" and "Now Playing" is squished (I'm guessing it's a size layout issue with the text length). But when you hover over them, they go back to the correct size. But if you leave the menu and go back, they are tiny again.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

killa-pope posted:

Yep! 30 seconds to unplug the old one and plug the new one in, no cable wrangling required.

mulls posted:

I'm using all the exact same cables as the old one so I didn't root around behind entertainment center.

Marvellous, cheers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Has there been any word on if Starz Play will be coming to this? I only care because of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought episode 1 of a show earlier, then went to watch it last night. After I watched it, I decided I wanted to watch the next episode, and there was no way to go from that view to the rest of season 1 in the store other than backing out and searching.

What the hell, Apple.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

That 'remote connected' message pops up for me occasionally. I'm guessing the remote goes into some low-power/sleep mode and wakes up when it senses motion. I let always wakes up and connects fast enough that it hasn't effected my use.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

That 'remote connected' message pops up for me occasionally. I'm guessing the remote goes into some low-power/sleep mode and wakes up when it senses motion. I let always wakes up and connects fast enough that it hasn't effected my use.

Thanks for letting me know at least it's not me. It definitely affects my usage. But in a first world problems way.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I got that message when I woke mine from sleep using the remote.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Feenix posted:

It's happened to me a few times and takes about 5 seconds to connect.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
My receiver isn't HDMI CEC compatible :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, Siri decided to stop listening to me, had to restart the ATV to get her to work again.

Also kind of hoping that they enable tap-to-click on the Siri remote as an option. I do it on my trackpad on every device and clicking the remote feels really unnatural to me. Then again they probably won't because it would likely confuse the gently caress out of most people -- "I tried to move but it clicked instead!!"