Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Nice OP. Ordered my 32GB this morning. Doubt I'll need any more than that.

I love my old AppleTV despite its flaws, so I've been really excited for something new to come out. Will definitely be posting here with my thoughts once I receive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Thwomp posted:

That said, if Siri isn't working as intended, it'll be a huge sore point.

The only thing hardware-wise that could possibly make Siri not work as well as it does on every other Apple device is either the quality of the mic in the controller, or the Bluetooth connection to the device itself. The former is possible but not likely considering Apple's track record with quality components, the latter is not likely considering Bluetooth is otherwise super reliable.

I'd probably chalk it up to either user error or most likely the ATV-specific Siri algorithms not being fully cooked yet, without a ton of user data.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tofes posted:

Will Amazon video finally be on AppleTV?

Considering Amazon pulled the listings for all AppleTVs on their website, I wouldn't count on it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tofes posted:

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Amazon mad about not being on the old AppleTV? The new one has an app store so they can just submit an app, right?

I think Amazon is pissed about having to give Apple a cut of the revenue (more specifically, HOW BIG of a cut) of anything purchased through an App Store app/iTunes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm thinking of hooking up my new aTV via ethernet rather than wifi. Is there any reason not to?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My order status changed to preparing for shipment. I didn't pay for overnight.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

2 questions, if you don't mind.

What time (and timeline?) dos you place your order.

What was the stated delivery window for you?

I ordered it around 10:30am ET Monday.

The stated delivery date hasn't changed. It's always been Nov 2-Nov 4

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wish the new AppleTV had the option to minimize video into a sort of picture in picture while you browse for something else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Is there any significant reason to consider an ATV if I already have a Chromecast?

An App Store.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Most importantly, with a whole new OS, I think software updates will be more frequent. So there are probably a lot of cool features that are already on deck for the next updates.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just received my shipment notification from Apple. Saying I'll get it tomorrow. Standard Shipping. Glad I didn't pay the extra money to get it a few hours earlier.

edit: Just FYI it says no signature required for anyone who was worried about that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Creature posted:

Did you guys in the US really have to pay extra $$ to get delivery by Friday?

My order confirmation said I'd get mine by Tuesday, but the Apple Store app just notified me that it's out for delivery already. Neat.

They didn't HAVE to, but they also didn't know that.

I didn't pay more and I'm getting mine tomorrow. In Ohio. Coming from Harrisburg.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mine is UPS

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dexter6 posted:

Is the ability to shut off your TV via HDMI new in ATV4, or has it been around all along?

My current ATV3 definitely does not shut off my TV when it sleeps, so I'm wondering if I should expect the new one to or not.

Definitely new on the ATV4. It is one of the features of HDMI 1.4 which I believe your tv (or home theater) must also have to utilize it.

This means I'm poo poo out of luck in that dept since my tv is from like 2011.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Haha, MacRumors is reporting that the AppleTV WILL be available at Best Buy tomorrow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh my god are man babies really cancelling orders based on a few relatively minor complaints? Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I love that the WatchESPN app lets you continue to watch whatever you're watching while you look for something else. This is absolutely perfect for college football Saturdays.

Thought my ~5 year old tv wouldn't work with the volume control on the new remote, pleasantly surprised to see that it worked automatically without me setting anything up.

So far so good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, the new Netflix app sucks. Which isn't exactly Apple's fault since Netflix actually made this app. They basically removed the ability to select specific genres. Unless I'm missing something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the WatchESPN app is kinda broken right now. I hope they fix it soon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

echobucket posted:

BTW, pairing a set of bluetooth headphones with this is perfect for late night tv watching. It keeps the audio in perfect sync, and best of all, all you have to do is turn the headset on/off and it automatically redirects the audio without you having to choose anything.

This will work wonders when I'm watching a football game and have to take a shower. I can just pair my Bluetooth speaker to it and listen to the game while I jerk off shower.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

You can't just do that with your phone?

I mean, yeah I could pull the game up on my phone and turn on the Bluetooth speaker. Or I can just make it so all I have to do is turn on the Bluetooth speaker and not worry about my phone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Holy poo poo, there's a QVC app. I don't watch QVC or buy poo poo from there, but it is the absolute perfect fit for the ATV. It plays the live feed of QVC and has a "speed buy" button.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It removed all of the menus from the ATV3 Netflix app. It's definitely a step back.

Yeah, the new ATV feels half-baked, but it was probably one of those things that's so new (software-wise) that they needed to get it out into people's hands and start polishing it based on feedback.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a heads up, you can force quit apps by double tapping the home button and swiping the app up. This is helpful for the currently sometimes-functioning WatchESPN app.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the Netflix app isn't as good as it was on ATV3, but it also just seems like the Netflix apps on various other devices, so I guess they're just unifying in that regard.

Anyone know how to skip songs when playing Radio? I might be missing something really obvious but there doesn't seem to be a way.

Also, I taught it to use the IR to change the receiver volume, which is neat.

The Radio song skipping seems to be broken. While the progress bar is showing, put your thumb on the right side of the touchpad. A skip track button appears. When you push it though, nothing happens. In playlists, this function skips to the next song. But in Radio, there is no upcoming song to skip to so it doesn't do anything. Seems like something they'll fix.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'll say this: they new HBO GO app retains all the functionality of the old app but looks absolutely gorgeous now.

The new Netflix app makes me feel like I'm using Netflix on the original Nintendo Wii.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Judging by how half baked the new ATV is, what leads people to believe that 4K won't be enabled in the future? The hardware is certainly capable of it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The WatchESPN app just updated. Must have fixed that goofy audio issue. Although there's no release notes for today. Definitely showed the install animation and had the blue dot though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm having a problem with my ATV turning my television back on after I've powered everything down for the night. Twice now I've gone to bed, gone to the bathroom and noticed a light coming from downstairs, only to go down and realize the tv is back on.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Fellatio Hero Saga

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, is there and HBO Go app?

Yes. Both HBO Go and HBO Now. They're separate apps.

I have HBO Go because I use my mom's DirecTV account and she uses my Netflix account.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I like that the scrub bar on the new ATV is like magnetic in that if you scrub forward or back in a video, it'll snap back to where you were if you get close to that position.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I thought there were supposed to be several different "live aerial" screensavers or whatever they're called. I just get London every time :confused:

I don't think it does a very good job rotating through the different ones. 90% of the time I get Manhattan, but I've also seen the Golden Gate Bridge, and maybe one or two others.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I know before launch a bunch of us complained about having to constantly log in to every different app with cable provider info. Well I was just going to sign in to the CNBC app, I clicked the option to sign in, it comes up with the 6 or 8 character code. I pick up my phone to go to the website and log in, then I look back up and it automatically signed me in.

I'm not sure if the ATV remembered my info, or more likely the NBC and CNBC apps talked to each other.

Either way, thought that was pretty cool.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Categories have been added to the app store now. I like how quickly Apple seems to be smoothing out all the wrinkles.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have had some major remote problems today. Twice today, like 8 hours apart, the remote has basically frozen. While its frozen the white light on the actual AppleTV is off, and my home theater volume randomly goes up and down, often all the way down to zero. During this time the video keeps playing on the screen and I can't do anything at all until the remote reconnects.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the sad news is that the Netflix app on the ATV3 was the exception, not the rule.

I agree that the old one is better, but the app matches their iOS app and their app on every other streaming box.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rick Sanchez posted:

All this talk of having to sign into apps repeatedly has be baffled. I've owned every Apple TV from gen 1 and have never had this problem.

Is it widespread?

It's only on the network tv apps, not Netflix or anything.

That being said, I haven't had any problems yet on the new one.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So there's a new Guitar Hero game in the App Store that says it "REQUIRES the Bluetooth GUITAR CONTROLLER to play (available at your local or online retailer)".

Which is pretty funny considering all the brouhaha over Apple requiring games to be compatible with the Siri remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've only ever seen 1 app update, and it's the WatchESPN app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
MTV and Comedy Central apps have been added to the store. Also, there are like 10 different categories in the App Store now instead of 2.