Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

milkaxor posted:

On Apple TV 4?

This is what I'm seeing

My playlist:

Apple Music playlist:

The ellipses lead to shuffle, love, and another option. That doesn't exist with my playlists.

My personal playlists don't look like yours. Under the name of the playlist, mine says "Playlist by [my name]", while yours seems to say nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think the best thing is even if you accidentally scrub through what you're watching, the scrub bar will magnetically snap back to where you were when you get close to it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
MacRumors is reporting that an Amazon Prime app is upcoming in a few weeks, which is nice.

For those of us who still AirPlay Amazon Prime via an iOS device, the newest update to the app added something called XRay, where the screen of the device that's airplaying has all sorts of info on actors and trivia that changes scene by scene. It's very cool.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Lack of Pandora and Spotify are strange, for sure. Don't get your hopes up on a different Netflix app, though. It's identical to what every other device has, though I do agree it's a big step down from the ATV3 app.

It's not though, even their iOS app has more functionality than the tvOS app, despite their similar look.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Actually, I think the remote app works way better with the new Apple TV than with the old one.

Just had to log back in to Netflix after the AppleTV update and the remote app was really quick and snappy. Worked perfectly.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Martytoof posted:

What the gently caress, I can't pair my remote app to the ATV4. I put in the passcode it wants and the TV just sits there :mad:

Did you try force quitting the remote app? Mine hosed up while I was trying to pair it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Eddie Cue confirmed that there will be a new version of the Remote app in early 2016 with full Siri functionality.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Pandora app is up, for whoever was asking about it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You guys realize that CBS All Access has the complete back catalog of most of their shows, plus more classic shows like I Love Lucy and Star Trek and stuff?

I mean whether that means anything to you or not, they've built some actual value into it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Bunch of watch apps have been added that I've been waiting for. Namely HGTV, Food Network, and my fiancé has been wanting a Watch ABC Family app.

Travel Channel is also on there.

edit: they all feature live watching.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 16, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

Slightly lovely/shady question: can I get some friend's/family's credentials to get access to some of these cable-based apps? Or is there some kind of flag or hard check?

Yes, you can. No, there isn't any hard check.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The new version of tvOS that is currently in beta allows dictation as a text entry method.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
iOS version of Netflix app updated a few weeks ago and we're still left with this dogshit version for tvOS.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm having an issue since the update where if I pause a video and the screensaver starts up, pressing play again doesn't do anything. I have to press menu first to get out of the screensaver then press play.

A minor issue, I know, but annoying nonetheless. Anyone else having this issue?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

:lol: tvOS 10 is out and single sign-on is not included. gently caress you content providers!!!

Wouldn't all the apps need to update to take advantage of it anyways? Is single sign on an API?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good news everyone! My largest complaint since the release of the newest Apple TV has been resolved.

The Netflix app has been updated and you can now browse by category. Our long national nightmare is over.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I was confused by that statement because Amazon is actually the absolute best AirPlay experience of any app hands down. They even have that cool feature where the screen of the streaming device (iPhone, iPad, etc) has the headshot and name of each actor in any given scene along with trivia that coincides with each scene. I don't think it works for every single thing they stream but definitely bigger movies and obviously the Amazon originals.

In short: the Apple TV 4 is a great experience for streaming amazon videos, about as good as it gets without being a native app to the ATV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is the Trailers app on the ATV4 working for other people? It just bails the second I touch it, persisting past reboot. I'm still having internet issues so I can't tell if it's me or not, but 'movies' etc works fine. Am on latest public tvOS.

Mine is not doing that but it is definitely not functioning properly. Obviously there is some issue.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Single-sign-on is live on the new Apple TV, no software update required.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is anybody having trouble with single sign on? I can't seem to log in to my parents' directv account. It tells me I am not authorized to access this website.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hughlander posted:

TVOS doesn't have a webbrowser/WebView...

I think you're missing his point: you can't purchase movies in the Amazon Video app in iOS, but you can just go onto Amazon via any web browser, buy a movie, and it shows up in the Amazon Video app. You could do the same with a hypothetical tvOS app. Unless you're trying to argue that people that own AppleTVs don't also own another device which uses a web browser, which would be a dumb thing to argue.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I love how practically at the exact same time, Apple updates the AppleTV with the faster scrolling feature and Netflix updates their app to have a continuous scroll. So instead of now being able to quickly scroll back to the top, I can now just quickly scroll in a continuous loop.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Prime Video would make the AppleTV the hands-down best tv streaming box. It is literally the only major problem I have with it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mean, does iTunes even have movies in 4K? Would anything beyond Netflix and maybe YouTube even utilize 4K even if it was capable? I know early adopters harp on poo poo like 4K but I honestly can't name a single person I know with a 4K capable tv. Not saying they aren't out there but I'd love to see numbers on what the adoption rate really is for 4K.

It definitely would've been a good future-proofing move to include it but I don't think it's as big a deal as people have made it out to be.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
New rumor that Apple will announce Amazon Prime for AppleTV at WWDC. Amazon will also resume selling the AppleTV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
How many apps on AppleTV even support 4K on other devices? 1?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I Am Crake posted:

Wouldn't you only ever wake the remote by trying to do something? Just do what you want to do and it'll work after a short delay during which it's turning on.

No the problem is that the touchpad doesn't function until the remote wakes up. So if you go to start scrolling through Netflix, nothing happens until you actually press a button. It's pretty annoying. I usually just hit the volume button.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh Jesus, they updated the Netflix app, and now whatever show/movie you have highlighted, a video preview/montage thing starts playing. Please Netflix, you eat up enough of my not-unlimited home internet, don't auto-play annoying video nobody asked for.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

sure would be nice to have that amazon app or any of the other apps that are on platforms like fire tv (TCM)

Amazon will almost certainly be released in September when tvOS 11 is released.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Anyone else having problems with Netflix on their ATV4 lately?

I’m getting random buffering, sudden audio drop-outs, audio from later in the episode playing over the current audio, and all sorts of weird poo poo. Like 20-30times an hour. No problems with Netflix on any other devices, and no problems streaming in any other app on the ATV.

I was watching something earlier and it would buffer for about 1 second ever 30 seconds. It was super annoying. Haven't tried it since.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not sure why Apple would get back into making displays less than a year after getting out of making displays.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The espn app has added a multicast feature that I’m not sure if it’s on other platforms yet. But the implementation is really good if you like following multiple sporting events at once.

Yeah it is super nice. The only problem is, the last two Saturdays it has been absolute poo poo as far as streaming quality. I thought it was just me but I checked twitter both weeks and people were experiencing the same poo poo. Buffering, pixelated, stuttering......awful. Hell, it was doing that during College Gameday! It's not even like it was a big primetime game that everyone was watching. Hopefully they get their poo poo together since the new app is very cool and I want to get as much college football shooting into my eyeballs at the same time as I can. (I've been known to bring the bedroom TV down, set up my iPad, and my wife's computer all next to the big TV so I can watch 4 games at once. It's an illness)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

So I missed the Apple TV part of the announcement.

4K and video games? Anything else?

I use two of the 4th gen and they work fine, all I need them to do is Netflix, HBO, soon Amazon video, and airplay. No 4K TVs.

So I can't think of any reason to upgrade either of them.

It's got a faster processor which is gonna lead to better gaming, but literally no one gives a poo poo about that.

I imagine the processor might make the new one snappier (though I have no complaints about speed or responsiveness in the ATV4) and maybe faster responses from Siri.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feenix posted:

KInd of a rando question, but with mentions of Apple TV "app" and other stuff that is coming to light with iTunes for the new 4k ATV... is there any way I can watch 4k content on my iMac Retina?

Beyond like YouTube and Vimeo and other streaming sites, no. Netflix and Amazon don't support 4K in web browsers and there's no app in the app store for those services. I imagine the 4K movies in iTunes might be able to be played on the iMac once they're available.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
By the way, the multi-cast on the ESPN app is amazing. As long as ESPN is streaming well (like right now).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Its awesome and totally made for college football. Not sure when else I would make use of it.

Mayyyybe conference championship week for college basketball. That's about it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Woah, I just noticed a feature I’ve never seen before. Not sure if it’s a new Netflix feature, a new tvOS feature, or it’s always been there and I just noticed it.

So I’m watching something on Netflix and I tapped on the touchpad to see how far into the show I was and then I accidentally tapped it again and it showed the current time (6:01pm) at the spot where I was in the show and then what time the show will end at the end of the timeline.

Anyone else ever notice this?

edit: it’s not a Netflix thing since it’s doing it in YouTube too. And it’s definitely a new tiny feature of tvOS 11

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 20, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Guys the richest company in the history of the world that once a year ships out brand new state of the art products to tens of millions of people in every corner of the world worth more than a billion dollars IN A SINGLE DAY has no idea what they're doing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've never played them but I believe the remastered Sonic games are available as well as Ducktales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
C'mon, if you're savvy enough to specifically want the 4K Apple TV, you're not gonna not know that you got the wrong one. By the time you get to the register you're gonna realize that's it's ringing up for the wrong price.