Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I would be very, very, very surprised if this thing is the only ATV thing available.

Yeah same. The atv is a pretty popular product that is probably super cheap to make and doesn’t require a ton of attention from Apple, I don’t see why they’d axe it from the lineup.

They have an entire dedicated TVOS, I doubt they’re gonna put all their eggs into one basket that could be a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Ya, that's me.. it took longer to upgrade to iOS 14.5 on my drat phone than the ATV 4K did.

Tried out YT, PBS, Crunchyroll, some others, everything works.

Tried out Color Balance.. holy poo poo it made a big difference on AppleTV movies like Greyhound and others like Pacific Rim.. I calibrated with my iPhoney 11 and a lovely Toshiba combo DVD player, only a 24" screen.. colors popped better, could swear I got a rez upgrade on a lovely 1080p TV.. worked the first time out.. a little weirded out how it told me to use my front camera instead of the back, and I had to hold the phone an inch from the screen.. but worth it for the 40 seconds it took for the entire procedure..

I think the front camera has a more accurate light sensor. So it’s probably better at measuring brightness.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

njsykora posted:

Also the Apple TV app is increasingly on those smart TV platforms now, and TV's support Airplay more and more as well. I got a new TV this week and I can just airplay to it, use the ATV app etc. But I'm still getting a 4K for the Arcade stuff, and because Roku TV is a pile of laggy rear end and also doesn't have a Twitch app.

Yeah my parents just got a new Samsung smart tv last weekend and it’s got Apple Music, AppleTV+, and is Airplay2 compatible.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Social Animal posted:

AppleTV arriving tomorrow just in time with my new tv! :) Anyone else?

Mine still says it’s preparing to ship. :f5:

I’m not really that worried about. But just ready for that sweet new remote.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Boy, I sure do hate the new MLB app.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

How do we get traction for this like HBO? I have no idea what they were trying for, but removing the standings page makes me unreasonably mad.

Not only that, but it shows you the current score for every game EXCEPT your team’s game. For that it only shows the matchup and the “Watch Live” button.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
No, I want to see the score so I know whether I want to turn on the game

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

japtor posted:

Yeah still iffy about the different layouts between my old and new ones. Mute could stand to be somewhere else and/or unique or less prominent, and Siri button on the side still feels kinda awkward. Power button isn't terribly useful, same as pressing whatever button to turn everything on, saves a click on turning off. It'd be more useful if it was programmable for non CEC setups..

Click wheel is great just for having distinctive directional clicks (vs area taps that could be misread on the old one)...although nothing I use uses implemented the actual jog wheel functionality yet afaik (but I did see a bunch of app update dots today so perhaps it works now). It'd be nice to use it for scrolling lists too like the old iPods.

The power button is still kinda useful in that you only have to hold it down for a second to turn everything off. Old remote required a button hold + an additional click.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well they’re supposed to be launching a completely new app soon. After they got roasted on social media and the real media, they decided to toss the entire app and start from scratch. I think they said as early as December? But who knows.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Or there are plenty of fireplace options on Netflix, if you already have a Netflix account.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I’ve been noticing it too. Obnoxious.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

Sounds like another reason to go YouTube premium

Use a Argentina vpn and it’s like $1.50 a month

How would YouTube premium fix the frame rate change lag? No matter what when you start a video it does it, whether that video starts with an ad or not. Ads just make it worse.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Honestly I can’t believe they don’t make a soundbar/appletv combo about the size of a Sonos Beam. Hell even throw a camera on there for FaceTime like has been rumored for years. They could charge $500 for it easy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently the new models are thinner and 50% lighter with no fan.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is your 7th ATV. You should have a remote by now.

There’s 6 somewhere buried in my couch though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wouldn’t the point be that the HomePods are listening to the tv speaker and attempting to sync to that? Or am I misunderstanding what’s happening?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Could’ve been a bug with the new YouTube update. I noticed yesterday that the YouTube app updated. On my older 4K.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it seems the songs aren’t Chopin the app

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Fedule posted:

I'm sorry am I having a psychotic breakdown or did Apple just casually reveal that the Siri remote has had Find My support this whole time and they're just now turning it on?

It sounds like it’s not ACTUALLY Find My but some other protocol it’s using.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I also tried the FaceTime thing last night and it’s super cool. The way the camera sort of automatically pans and zooms in on you wherever you are in the shot. Seemed to work pretty seamlessly but I didn’t actually place a call, just did the preview.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I’ve had it happen 2 or 3 times in the past few months where the remote works fine EXCEPT for the volume controls. Every time I’ve just reset the remote and it works perfectly fine afterwards.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eightysixed posted:

One day someone will tell me why people preface Ukraine with “the.”

Have you ever been to the Canada? Ever visited the Egypt? How was your trip to the France? I once went to the Sweden. Remember that time we went to the Spain?

:goonsay:

Ukraine means “border lands” or something like that. So you’re actually saying “the borderlands” in the same way you’d say “the Netherlands”. It’s not really proper to say it that way, but it’s been done for a long time and sometimes old habits die hard.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The problem I’ve been having lately, maybe the past 6 months or so, is that suddenly the volume on my sound bar will stop working with the AppleTV remote. The remote still works for the AppleTV itself, but no longer changes the volume. I tried resetting the sound bar and the AppleTV a few times, even tried re-syncing the IR back to the sound bar, to no avail.

What I finally figured out is it’s the remote. The IR must just stop functioning randomly in the remote, and it takes resetting the remote for it to start working again. It’s a pain in the rear end as now it’s happening like every other week or so, but at least it’s an easy fix that takes like 1 minute.

So yeah, if anyone else experiences that problem, make sure you try that as a fix. On the newer silver remotes you hold down the TV and the volume down button on the remote until the light on the front of the Appletv turns back on. After a few seconds just press any button on the remote and it’ll reconnect and start working again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
At the very least the purchase of a new Apple TV should come with a like one year subscription to AppleTV+

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Speaking of the YouTube app on the appletv, they’ve added ads that pop up when you pause a video and, in true lovely fashion, pressing Play/Pause again does NOT start the video playing again. You have to either press the circle/select button or scroll over to the “Dismiss” button to dismiss the ad and THEN you can press play to restart it.

The enshittification of everything continues…

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is the Apple TV remote using Bluetooth or IR?

It's doing this weird thing where I'll be scrolling something and all of a sudden it acts like I'm holding the button down and it will rapid scroll. It also seems to not work if I block the front of the remote with my hand, and I'll get random messages saying the remote is disconnected.

The blocking with the hand thing makes me think it's IR but everything I'm reading says it's Bluetooth. Not really sure how to fix this.

Rest assured, signal drop due to your hands being in the way is absolutely a feature of Bluetooth as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only thing rumored in the next AppleTV is a FaceTime camera so I doubt it will perform much better or faster or have any killer features that would make you regret buying a current gen model.