Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hmmmmm $199/$269 in Canada. Guess I'm getting the 32gb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone use the Lynda.com app? I have a free subscription through my library. When I go online I can see every course they have. When I use the AppleTV app I can only see a subset, it seems. Like I search for "Lightroom" on the website and I get 96 courses. I search for "Lightroom" in the app and I get one, on Lightroom4 which is pretty old.

Is this expected behaviour? I'm guessing it is, but I can't see anywhere online where they own up to a smaller subset of material for the app. I'll have to contact them I guess.

Our library had a number of issues with patrons getting redirected from the library log-in to a generic one where you get stuck with a crummy trial vs the full library subscription you should have. Definitely contact the reference desk at your local library and mention it. I know they've been going back and forth with the Lynda.com people here for a while sorting out one device at a time. There was all sorts of strange behaviour like logging in, using it for five minutes, then suddenly being stuck in trial mode.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any AppleTV (latest gen) app that will let me legally stream the Rio 2016 olympics?

If not, is there any iPhone/iPad app (which I could then airplay to the Apple tv?)

I vaguely recall hearing the CBC wasn't geoblocking their excellent olympic coverage last time around. Might be worth investigating. On the older Apple TV you'd just have to log into a Canadian app store account and it updates with Canada-specific apps.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah getting an account for another region's App Store is trivial. Loads of people in the iOS games thread have app store accounts for Japan, New Zealand and Canada. Tons of Canadians made US App Store accounts to get Pokemon Go ahead of the Canadian launch. If the CBC did release an app (which apparently they're not?) it'd be free being public television and all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Did the promise of Wii-style motion games ever work out with the new AppleTV? Got a relative who wants something to play games as cardio like Dance Dance Revolution or whatever new version is popular now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

EL BROMANCE posted:

So there's a Twitter client for Apple TV now... and unless I'm missing something super obvious, one of the things it doesn't have is the ability to read your own feed?! Whose genius idea was that?

It's too bad stuff like this is so clumsily implemented. A decent web browser and a few good apps like that could turn the Apple TV into a fantastic budget desktop for grandparents/low income families/etc. Probably something Apple wants to avoid unfortunately.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
So excited for a unified experience connecting all these apps I can't use because Canadian television licensing is a loving nightmare. :suicide:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Martytoof posted:

Not available in Canada. I'd be disappointment if I hadn't come to expect this from literally every cool thing Apple has done.

edit: Judging from my iPhone and iPad which have no sign on section in Settings, I mean. I didn't actually check my ATV this morning.

Maybe someday we'll get the News app!

Yes we still don't have that in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Irritated Goat posted:

:sigh: Guess I'm waiting then. That would've been awesome since we love reading with our boy but can't get paper books yet since he's too little not to rip pages. Ah well. I was kind of hoping to build a setup where we'd have those searchable and buy movies\tv shows from Apple\Amazon.

You know they make board books for really little kids right? Big thick cardboard pages that can't be ripped.