Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Just got shipping notice for tomorrow. Now to fret about somebody stealing a blank brown box off my doorstep in the few hours between delivery and getting home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

Is the power cable for the new model the same as the old one? I've got my old one wrapped up in tidy tubing and will do anything to avoid the four minutes it'd take to remove and replace it.

Yep! 30 seconds to unplug the old one and plug the new one in, no cable wrangling required.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Looks like the iTunes wishlist and Apple TV wishlist are still separate entities. Because that makes perfect sense.

e: Also, my 2007 Samsung works with the auto-on/source select feature, and the remote controls volume via IR. Just missing out on auto off.

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 31, 2015

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
It makes sense to me. My understanding of natural scrolling has always been that it simulates you moving the object itself. That's not happening when you're navigating through the menus. Although with the new keyboard layout, I'd actually prefer that. Letters in a carousel with the center one being selected, with natural scroll to turn the carousel.

e: I take this back since that is precisely how the Music app seems to work in an album. Dangit, Apple!

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 1, 2015

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

A dumpster in a high income neighborhood

This.

But seriously, check craigslist. I put mine up for 40 and it was gone the next day. You're not getting any warranty coverage or a pretty box, but I wouldn't put either of those as necessary in the least.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
January, they claimed, which is when MLB gets the actual rights. I think they're supposed to update the browser version as well.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

I'm still debating if I want a new Apple TV. What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Playing Geometry Wars and Galaxy on Fire. Anxiously awaiting the new NHL app. Enjoying not having to reboot the whole device if one app decides to screw up (Netflix, I'm looking at you).

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
So 9.1.1 is out. Podcasts app!

That is all, carry on.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Martytoof posted:

New app is terrible just because I have to click on "scores" to watch games. The entire point of the app is to watch hockey, why would you put that behind an extra menu click?

That's irritating but not horrible. Same as it was on the old app, but it seems to load faster and hang less so there's that. Maybe there will be a graphical redesign for next season.

But is anybody else having problems with the feeds jumping back to the beginning? Both the RDS and SNE feeds for the Habs game did this after a few minutes. Stream is fine on the iPad app (PiP is awesome!)

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

Minidust posted:

Cool. Thanks!

One more thing, I recall some fuss over a lack of TV mode switching with the 4K, where it enforces a consistent resolution & refresh rate across all content. I don't care about upscaled resolution too much, but I'd be really bothered if it was doing any type of frame interpolation (i.e. the "soap opera affect") on video content. I may just be incorrectly conflating the concepts of refresh rate and framerate here.

I don’t recall any soap opera affect. That being said, the newest tvOS beta adds options to output at the native frame rate, so you’re fine on that front regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Home screen is a hot steamy turd on the second beta, and I’ve had to hard reset every day or two to get performance back. Otherwise, it eventually gets to a point where input lags so badly I can’t even put it to sleep.