Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got a suggestion for a small stereo speaker set that the appletv can do volume control on? Got a first gen 4k that we're putting in our exercise room, the monitor in there does audio over hdmi but no CEC. So I need "something else" that the appletv can control. It doesn't need to be theater quality or powerful, it just needs to play some videos while working out and have working volume control on the remote.

Bluetooth looks like the only option for this setup.. is appletv's bluetooth pretty reliable for audio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm glad I posted because I completely disregarded IR as an option even though I knew it was there. :downs:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 4k already had thread support.. I've been using it happily for six months now. It also has an ethernet port. Did I buy an appleTV from the future?

I'm curious how this new version makes it better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if this new version is enough for me to upgrade my current second gen 4K though

If you're talking about thread, you already have it. I've been using it on my 2nd gen since the spring and it's great.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP845?locale=en_US

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thread is conceptually the beta version of Matter. It's close to the same protocol and uses the same technologies (ipv6, wifi, etc) but Matter formalizes the standard so that every device manufacturer can take part. Thread is mostly just Apple Stuff.

In theory any Thread device can get a software update to Matter, but it depends on the processing power of the IoT as I believe Matter has more overhead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's Amazon Prime that has issues playing videos you select from the TV app too.

It's a good idea in general, just has some longstanding bugs that make me reluctant to use it. It only gets used to find Apple content.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Solid objects definitely interfere with signals, but bluetooth can usually pass through a couple pieces of furniture. Success rate depends on the quality of the antennas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You can give your parents/friends access to plex without opening a port on your firewall.

And any other services. It uses VPN magic to make any server running on your home network available to any other logged in device. Got a raspberry pi running a weather station or something? Put it on tailscale and you can access it from your phone when on your yacht in the Mediterranean without setting up a hole in your firewall beforehand.

You can also have VPN on your phone without paying for it (assuming you can fit within their free plan, which allows 3 people). Walk away from your home wifi and your phone automatically switches to your tailscale VPN and you can browse on public wifi with relative safety. Assuming you trust your home's ISP (that's the cool part of tvOS 17, it can become your VPN exit node).

It's a virtual network that all your logged in devices have access to, allowing them to talk amongst themselves as if they were plugged into the same switch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't store locally, even apps that let you do it on mobile (netflix, etc) can't do it on apple tv.

Most people work around it by running plex or kodi in their home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last time I did couch co-op was five years ago so maybe it's fixed now but I had a hell of a time getting four Xbox controllers paired to the Apple TV so all of us could play. I eventually went the ugly route and hooked them all into a usb hub.

But after that it was flawless, even on WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perhaps after deleting all their movies WB realized they were still losing money and are now turning all their audio to mono mp3's to save bandwidth. :v: