Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Did you guys in the US really have to pay extra $$ to get delivery by Friday?

My order confirmation said I'd get mine by Tuesday, but the Apple Store app just notified me that it's out for delivery already. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Nice to see the onscreen keyboard is just as lovely as the previous models. Setting up Netflix and Hulu was a goddamn chore. :(

But drat this new interface is pretty.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I just discovered that you can replace the apps at the top with your own. Instead of iTunes/TV shows showing up in the banner, you can have Netflix or Hulu picks, 'On Deck' media from Simplex, or a seemingly random assortment of album suggestions if you have home sharing enabled.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The Gillman posted:

On a different tangent. I just uninstalled Simple X cause I couldn't get it to either see my Plex server after a bunch of restarts and going through the troubleshooting guide and the thread on the Plex forums.
Hopefully the official app will clear review soon.

Simplex didn't want to see my server which was up and visible on my PS4, but then I rebuilt my library on another computer and it saw that one immediately. V:downs:V

I don't know if it's because the first one was on a wifi connection and the new server is wired, but after that hitch Simplex works really nicely. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to ditch my old Mac Mini running Plex Home Theatre in favour of this setup.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Okay for like months now, my Apple TV (3) hasn't been able to see my content on my computer. iTunes says home sharing is on but the Apple TV and the remote app on my phone just can't see it. It's really annoying because 99% of what I use the thing for is streaming. I'm almost ready to just replace it with a chromecast (we have one on the upstairs tv and it works great w/ plex)

I've tried every solution I can google. I got it work a couple times briefly but it always goes back to not working. Anyone have any advice?

Are you definitely signed into the same account on both your computer and the AppleTV?

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I was once on the verge of returning my PS4 when it repeatedly failed to sign into Netflix even when I knew my password was definitely correct. Turned out that I had registered using my gmail address, but was trying to sign in using my iCloud address. Took me two days to realise. :doh:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Apparently the Plex app has been approved. Very interested to see how it compares to Simplex.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I feel that it's just them trying to force us to use the new remote, rather than throwing it in a drawer.

Aside from the App Store, the Siri remote is pretty much the most visible difference between the new Apple TV and the old model, so it's the easiest way of getting the idea of the *~ALL NEW~* Apple TV out there. Otherwise it's just the same thing with a slightly different skin. Look at your friends with their cool new Apple TV, they can yell at the remote to play Game of Thrones! You don't have to open the remote app to do a search anymore, Siri does it for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Nah, it just stays there as a static image. After a while the screensaver starts.