Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Has anyone looked at or tried using the 3rd gen as a "travel" AppleTV? I currently bring a HDMI cable and the Lightning-HDMI adapter when I travel, but being able to Airplay and use the video apps is appealing. I just suspect I'll run into hotel Wifi issues.

Just a thought since I'm probably going to pick up a 4th gen Apple TV on my way home tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a QVC app. I don't watch QVC or buy poo poo from there, but it is the absolute perfect fit for the ATV. It plays the live feed of QVC and has a "speed buy" button.

Are they giving up 30% to Apple?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Rick Sanchez posted:

Is there a Flickr app available for the new Apple TV? And can you use your Flickr account to create photo screensaver a like always?

Yes, there is a Flickr app. No, screensaver options are "Aerial", "Apple Photos", "My Photos", or "Home Sharing."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Important safety tip, don't idle in the app store. I did, fell asleep, Apple TV goes to sleep and turns off TV, touching the remote later ended up buying an app even with the TV off.

Yes, a bit of shooting myself in the foot since I don't require a password to purchase, and I was able to cancel the purchase, but..

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Settings>Apps has the ability to turn on and off "Automatically Update Apps;" it defaults to Apple's preferred "On."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Both the PS4 and Apple TV 4 will tell the TV to tune to their inputs if the TV is capable.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a Comcast customer like myself, you have to know this is undoubtedly due to Comcast being the most stubborn and useless communications company on the planet. Hence we don’t even get the Viacom channels.

Comcast has said that they're interested in an open and platform-agnostic standard for authentication rather than Apple's closed one which doesn't strike me as a terrible thing. Plus Comcast already knows Apple wants to eat their lunch since they reportedly had talks about partnering to do a video subscription service that broke down, so the desire to help Apple TV supplant the X1 settop box as the home video solution isn't real strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the “Apple updates your HD iTunes purchases to 4K HDR” policy a permanent, ongoing thing? Or was that a one time thing to promote the AppleTV 4K release?

I ask because there’s a few things on sale in the store right now that don’t have 4K HDR versions, but probably will have them in the next couple months. (The Matrix, specifically, but also Beetlejuice and The Goonies)

Also note that if you get movies in your library via Movies Anywhere matching then you won’t get the 4K version unless you bought the 4K version from Vudu or the other participating stores.

Or at least so I’ve seen online. I now own an AppleTV 4K along with my ATV 3rd gen thanks to the DirecTV Now promo but still don’t own a 4K tv. Don’t understand why Apple won’t let me stream 4K to my 5K iMac.