Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

Mine is UPS

Mine is Fedex. And I just got the notification. Should be getting it tomorrow :woop:.

But it's not much of a victory for me, because I could have gotten the $1 dev version if I remembered to get my developer account email switched to one I actually read and could get emails from :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

You're right, so let's talk about something cool. TVML! It's like XAML for tvOS and it's pretty sweet. You can build your tvOS apps in Javascript, including logic and layout in XML. It's nice because it makes it super easy to just get content on the screen, without having to deal with UIKit and having to write ObjectiveC or Swift.

I'm thinking about writing a C# library for building out dynamic TVML files, and spitting them out via a WebAPI, so that way I could build tvos apps using mostly C# and javascript. And at some point I know Xamarin will support the new tvOS stuff (we already have Transistor running on it, I think that's going in the app store tomorrow), so maybe I could make a simple Awful forums reader client for it.

I got to play with the dev unit we have in the office running the release build, and it's pretty sweet. Nice UI, voice works great. Airplay is less bad over wifi too from what I could tell, and we have poo poo wifi in the office.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
You can sign into multiple Apple accounts now, so I can use my Apple Music subscription on my Japanese account, and download American TV apps on my American one :woop:. You can't use VPNs though, so you have to route your Apple TVs traffic through one elsewhere, but that's what I had to do on the 3rd gen anyway.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The app revolution is here!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Not having true categories for apps really sucks. You're stuck with the recommended list, whatever sub categories in that Apple set up, and search. I had to start searching by letter to see what else was in the store... and sure, it's not much, but it would be nice to see everything that's available.

Also judging by what I could see, and how many Apple TVs they shipped to developers for $1, I hope more are sitting in the pipeline because it does not seem like the best return on investment for Apple :v:.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

That's through home sharing. There is no podcast app directly on the device.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the VLC app live yet? Does it have the option to load a network stream?

I don't think it's up yet, but it's coming soon. I'm going to pull it down from git and play with it later.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Another annoying part of Music: In "My Music", it shows the music attached to your iCloud account. But you can't easily see the rest of the artists albums that Apple music has, but you don't have. On OSX and other iOS devices, it has "My Music" and "All Music" for an artist, but the tvOS does not have that yet. So if I want to, say, see the music videos of an Artist, I have to search for the artist, THEN select them through that, then I can see their videos and play them.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Not sure if this happens in the English UI, but this is what I see in Japanese:

It corrects itself when you select them. :thumbsup:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

Could you explain to someone who doesn't speak Japanese what is happening here?

The text for "Playlist" and "Now Playing" is squished (I'm guessing it's a size layout issue with the text length). But when you hover over them, they go back to the correct size. But if you leave the menu and go back, they are tiny again.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Siri itself on Apple TV is pretty useless right now too beyond movies. I don't get how it does not hook up to Apples services to know more about me. Like, if I ask about my calendar Siri on the TV won't know about it, but on my phone will. Say what you want about Cortana, but that works on my PC, Phone, and Xbox One the same. It would be nice if you could have the same consistent experience across all devices.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
If I switch songs in the Apple Music app, 30% of the time it will play the wrong song. The metadata will be for the last or next song in the list, but not for the one currently playing.

That's annoying.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

Quoting myself a little over a month later to see how we're doing:

• VLC App NOPE (but I don't really care about it anymore anyway)

I think VLC is in TestFlight beta right now, and you can sign up for it. And if you really want it now you could compile it yourself from their git. It is open source after all. :v:

It's pretty good, but at this point I would rather stream everything through Plex; it's just easier. Cool to see the libraries running though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Ars has a breakdown on running emulators through the new Apple TV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.

Well, I think they do a good enough job explaining that. I did this last month, and I've been using it on my iPhone for longer. The UI is wonky if you have tons of games, since there is no way to sort the library. Games themselves run fine. You can changing or remove the filtering and they run full speed. The game metadata scrapper is okay with non-US releases, but works great with US region roms.

Would I buy a new Apple TV just for this? Ehhhh, I don't know, not yet anyway. But if you do have one, and can set up Xcode (it's easy) then it's a nice bonus.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

Nothing specific on the AppleTV or tvOS. I would think that the next tvOS update would come out the same day as iOS 10 and watchOS 3 (9/13) but you never know.

They released the tvOS GM seed today too, so I imagine it will come up on the 13th as well.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
:lol: it doesn't support YouTube in 4K yet.

Otherwise, it seems nice. Haven't tried deploying apps to it yet (you have to do that over Wifi now since they got rid of the USB port) but I'm interested to see how well emulators work. The one 4K HDR movie I have in iTunes looked great.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

Will there even be a way of sideloading without the USB port anymore?

They would be insane to not let developers deploy to actual hardware. I need to test poo poo on real devices, the simulator is not enough.

But it's Apple so :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I think he means that you either get HDR10 10 60hz, or Dolby Vision at 30hz (since that's what the LG OLEDs support), but because the Apple TV can't switch modes automatically, you have to go to the settings and pick it yourself. The content can't change the mode.

I'm going to slightly disagree with him, in that I don't think Dolby Vision is insanely better than HDR10, but it is weird that Apple just won't allow the TV to switch modes and forces all content to be in one of the HDR modes. Very silly.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

kefkafloyd posted:

People have been banging on the drum for 24hz output and it hasn't happened yet (even though that's an output mode I really want). They could ruin the GUI at 60Hz and switch to 24Hz for content, but that would result in a screen blank and people don't like that, apparently.

Less "People", more "Apple".

Subjunctive posted:

YouTube encodes 4K content in VP9, which Apple doesn't and likely won't ever support. Google would have to re-encode everything to h.265 if they wanted hardware support. Speaking as someone who has negotiated re-encoding with YouTube before, it's exceedingly unlikely.

This also affects Safari on macOS and iOS as well. For iOS, whatever, but for macOS, it's annoying having to switch out to Chrome if you want to watch something in high res on YouTube.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wicka posted:

Thrilled by Apple's decision to require all packages be signed, which means UPS will probably fail after three attempts and send it back. Morons.

They let you pre-sign it so you can leave it at the door or with someone though. It's on the order page.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Setup wifi deployment and installed Provenance on the 4K Apple TV. Works great, but some games do have some weird emulation issues with sound that I didn't have on the regular Apple TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Is there a way to put the TV to sleep with a button press instead of having to go to the settings menu?

Hold down the TV button, it should pop up a menu asking if you want it to go to sleep.