Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The remote still seems incredibly weird to use as a game controller to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Plex is just for viewing stuff on one computer in another place, basically.

I gave it a shot, because video looks better on a TV, but there was a slight audio delay (few ms) that made me abandon the idea.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Samara posted:

Does Twitch have a native app on this yet?
It's not even out on the PS4 outside the Americas - after they announced it.

Twitch are incredibly slow when it comes to stuff like this, but I think it should be moderately easy to port it to tvOS from iOS.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Xabi posted:

I can use the touch remote to adjust volume on the receiver, but it (and the TV) won't shut down when I turn off the Apple TV. Am I missing something?
Sounds like you don't have HDMI-CEC enabled on your TV. Manufacturers call this different names in their settings, so here's a list: http://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how-to-enable-hdmi-cec-on-your-tv-and-why-you-should/.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Suqit posted:

My receiver isn't HDMI CEC compatible :(
Yeah, I doubt most do - including mine. People will stick with their old systems, so it's gonna be one of those (few) sellings points for upgrading like 4K, HEVC, and 3D for TVs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there any reason to pay double for the new ATV if I'm only going to be using it for AirPlay, YouTube, and Netflix?
Def not. No 4K nor optical port for your surround either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's the go-to method of hooking up the new Apple TV to digital audio?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Nothing specific on the AppleTV or tvOS. I would think that the next tvOS update would come out the same day as iOS 10 and watchOS 3 (9/13) but you never know.
ATV3 is getting axed according to some sources. :smith:

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/773684184271421440

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good? The 4th gen is so much better that getting a 3rd gen seems like a complete waste of money to me.
Both can only show 1080p with no HEVC, and the ATV3 has an optical port. It was fine as a cheaper option, but maybe Apple didn't like the profit margins on it.

(Also, the remote isn't awful.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My mom is getting a symbol when she tries to use AirPlay from her iPad to her Apple TV (she's a veteran, so it isn't her first time). Instead of the usual TV logo, she gets a QuickTime logo with signals on both sides.

I can't find anything about this, but does this mean that the media is audio-only? There's sound coming out, but no video of what's supposed to be a livestream.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Prime Video would make the AppleTV the hands-down best tv streaming box. It is literally the only major problem I have with it.
It's ridiculous they didn't ship the latest with 4K, though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My surround system is connected to an optical splitter, which connects to my TV.

Surround - Splitter - TV.

If I connect my new Apple TV with no optical port to my TV with HDMI, would the digital audio be transmitted?

From what I understand, this may not work for several reasons, one of them being the use of PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby 5.1.

My sound system is pretty old, so it doesn't support stuff like ARC.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 6, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't really understand your setup. What's an optical splitter?
I only have one optical port on my receiver, so I need to split it to use surround for my PS4, TV, and so on.

Maybe the right term is a switch, i dunno.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dem Bones posted:

Some TVs have an optical out that you might be able to use that will output what they get over HDMI. All else fails you can put a cheap HDMI->HDMI+optical box between your ATV and your TV/surround: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTWT0/

Yeah, my fairly new TV has an optical port, which is why I'm hopeful, but I just don't want to rush out and buy an Apple TV without being sure.

And all the extractors tend to be a little spotty judging by reviews; I live in Europe, so a lot of US options aren't even available here.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I managed to find this which seems good. Although I wish it had more ports. but I'll just swap when I need to. EDIT: This has garbage throughput of 1080p according to the description. So it has to be another one.

Because I know jack about how high-def audio works, I just want to make sure I understand this:

I've got a Panasonic CX725 (4K, no HDR) with 3 HDMI ports (incl. one with ARC) and a digital audio out.

I've got my receiver that only has the one digital port. This is connected to my optical splitter/switch.

Currently, I just get surround on all devices by hooking them up to my splitter/switch.

The devices I've hooked up to it are my TV, PS4, and (old) Apple TV. I'll probably be getting a new Apple TV and maybe a Nintendo Switch, both of which only have HDMI-based audio that use PCM 5.1 instead of Dolby 5.1.

So the way this would work is that I would connect the device's:

OpticalOut => Receiver
HDMIout => TV (either HDMI port)
HDMIin1 => PS4
HDMIin2 => ATV
Hdmiin3 => Switch

And the digital-out port on my TV would just be unused?

What is it about the HDMI audio extractor that lets devices send their digital audio signal? I guess I might as well have gotten that instead the first time around instead of the optical splitter/switch.

Do I need a specific version of HDMI cable for this to work, or is it part of how HDMI works in general.

I don't mind buying the thing if it works, it's just a bit of a leap of faith without me having the slightest clue how it actually works.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Thanks, flosofl, that clears that up.

Looks like I might be able to use eBay as a backup option.

I don't see anyone going higher than 4Kp30; is this a limitation, or is the press material just before the PS4 Pro came out?

In which case, is something like this fine?

EDIT: 4Kp30 limit is what it is, but some 4Kp60 devices apparently cut the signal if they only have 30 Hz of headroom? Anyone know when and where this happens?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 7, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Could be older/worse HDCP.

A lot of pirated content seems to come from Amazon's service, so I'd give the channels and networks a break for figuring out how to deal with the weakest links in their distribution.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there some compromise between subsuming family members' account under one credit card in Family Sharing and just handing over your login on Apple TV so everyone can share their movie collections?

The latter is a pain, because you manually have to switch and risk buying or renting on the wrong account, and the family plan seems to be more for parents with small kids with only one credit card.

What do you do to share iTunes movies between members' Apple TV?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Physical UHD movies cost a solid ~$10 more than Blu-rays; GotG cost ~£40 on Amazon UK until recently when they tweaked the price.

I can't imagine it's just the additional disc, so it'll probably end up being a separate purchase than includes lower-quality versions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you get that thing in Europe?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, but it might get held up in EU customs with a wallop of a surcharge. I've even had that happen with Kickstarter rewards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Amazon just announced a 4K box, so they probably want to remind people that they exist before people dart off and get the ATV5 instead.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
They might update it with HLG or HDR10+ eventually once the standards catch on more, but, like someone else said, Apple's pace is rarely about being first to market. Variable refresh rate would be lovely in a few years, too, but that'll probably have to wait for at least HDMI 2.1.

It's nice that they got Dolby Vision, even though it should be expected from anyone moderately competent.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm trying to send an Apple/iTunes account for another region, and when I enter the code, I get a checkmark, and the form is deleted, and I can't move on.

Any idea what's up?

e: Now it says it's run into a problem when I go back and repeat the step. Maybe they just don't like what I submitted.

e: Same issue after I started over. Not sure if feature or bug, but I can't verify the account either way.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 13, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

jawbroken posted:

You're going to need to explain in more detail what you're trying to do, because that sentence doesn't make sense.
I bought some Blu-rays in one country with redeemable iTunes codes. I want to create an Apple account for that region and redeem them.

When I set up such an account, the last step seems to bug out, as it "accepts" my e-mail validation, but then resets the validation code field and doesn't continue past that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

You have to provide a billing address in that region to do that.
I did - but maybe it didn't like the one I used, which is what I wondered the first time around, but it didn't give me an error either way.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Feenix posted:

So is it tonight at Midnight for the preorders? :\
Thereabouts, yeah. You can see your local time in the Apple Store app, which is where you should also order it with the slimmest chance of running into issues.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dem Bones posted:

Does Apple use signed updates? Will my AppleTV update if I'm away on vacation?
For ATV4+ (ie tvOS), apparently: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202716

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

What fiasco is this?
Probably the crappy upscaling they subject 1080p video to, not to mention the added HDR.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This variable framerate on Apple TV sure sounds a lot like variable refresh rate/Adaptive Sync. I don’t recall this getting a mention in the initial presentation, but it seems to be what’s included in the new developer build, no?

That’s a pretty big deal if true; basically running your movies and TV shows in 24/25 Hz and saving a bunch of power doing so. But this would only work on G-Sync/FreeSync monitors rather than TVs for the time being, right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't wrap my head around your setup, but if you're used to optical and are getting a device without the port, you can use HDMI pass-through by connecting

* your audio device to the TV via toslink
* your TV to devices like (modern) consoles and set-tops like your ATV via just HDMI

Also saves you from buying a bunch of optical cables and splitters/switches.

Obviously this assumes your TV has an optical port, but since it has HDR and all kinds of crap, I'd be surprised if it didn't support this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

This is a goddamn clusterfuck with Netflix. Every time the streaming quality changes, my TV spends 3-4 seconds changing modes, and Netflix is changing the streaming quality every 2-3 minutes, and occasionally multiple times within 30 seconds. (Netflix seems to be unable to stream at any reasonable quality tonight despite my 200mbit connection. I'm trying to watch Civil War which should be 4K, but it's fluctuating between what looks like 480p and 720p and occasionally 1080p when I'm lucky.)
My Smart TV does something similar for the beginning of most shows, but I don't recall subsequent fluctuations.

It's the reason I decided to go with cable instead of wi-fi. Seems weird since you'd think they have an idea of your average speed.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FCKGW posted:

The lack of “play from beginning” is baffling to me. We watch a ton of kids show on Netflix, and kids shows get replayed over and over and over again. Every time we open up Ninjago or whatever, all the episodes are half played (since these kids never sit still for a full episode) and we have to pick an episode and manually rewind it to the beginning every time. Every single day we have to do this dance, it’s so dumb.
Can't you use Siri to do it? I know it's not ideal, but it seems Siri exists as sort of a power user feature for playback and navigation on ATV4+

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Do Apple TVs newer than ATV3 have a useful Twitch app? Seems like the only reason I might upgrade my current one.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are the HDR and resolution scaling still kind of a mess on Apple TV, or have they improved it over some subsequent updates?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the “Apple updates your HD iTunes purchases to 4K HDR” policy a permanent, ongoing thing? Or was that a one time thing to promote the AppleTV 4K release?

I ask because there’s a few things on sale in the store right now that don’t have 4K HDR versions, but probably will have them in the next couple months. (The Matrix, specifically, but also Beetlejuice and The Goonies)
It should be permanent. Disney didn't want UHD for the price of HD, so theirs are still HD-only.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah Disney not playing ball sucks. I bought Last Jedi and the only way to watch it 4K is with a UHD Blu-ray player, which I don’t have, or the VUDU app on my TV, since the ATV app doesn’t do 4K yet.
UHD discs also come out something like three weeks after they're on iTunes, it's the dumbest thing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone watched the new Mission Impossible on an ATV4 in 4K? I've got 4K SDR@60, and the movie looks grainy as hell, and I can't tell if it's supposed to be like that. That's with matching on and off, 50 and 60 Hz. TV doesn't support VRR.

I did the HDMI cable test and it seems to fail the first time around and then pass subsequently? And the new cable I used instead says High Performance w/ Ethernet. Don't have any other cables lying around, but the sound issues with the initial cable are gone, so I don't imagine throughput is an issue anymore unless the raw LPCM audio is bottlenecking the video. This is also for all kinds of scenes, not just ones that are hard to video encode.

I buy from a solid cable site, but if I were to just say gently caress it and go for S-class HDMI cables for all my gear, what would be the best products/sites that ship within Europe?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 4, 2019

ufarn
May 30, 2009

American McGay posted:

MI:FO is extremely grainy yes. That's just "the look".
Wouldn't be the first time I saw a terrible transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It was particularly bad because I'd pause, and the stills look like some kind of DivX-torrented .avi file running off a laptop 15 years ago. But that's what happens when you've taught yourself to notice all this stuff, it just bites you in the rear end.

It's probably better to watch the upscaled DVD or something.