Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BGrifter posted:

Hmmmmm $199/$269 in Canada. Guess I'm getting the 32gb!

Yep, same.

Probably just gonna pick one up at the apple store on the weekend just because I get way too much enjoyment of being able to buy with my phone's camera.

Looking forward to seeing how siri will handle a 3 year old demanding to watch Peppa Pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thwomp posted:

This is my big question with the universal search. When you ask to find a movie, will it also list everything on YouTube that also matches that movie?

My guess is toggle switches for each service to include or not in search results. With Siri being able to search specific ones even if it is disabled in general search by saying stuff like "find me videos of escalators on YouTube" (also a hot subject for videos at my house)

Hm I wonder if you can switch between user accounts easily otherwise my recommendations on YouTube are gonna get really messed up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nothing but the finest artisnal remote stands for me yes siree!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

But it's a fourth gen appletv :confused:

First gen fourth gen? :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah I'm just kiddin'. It is a pretty big change since the last gen.

Happened to be in a mall with an apple store this evening so I poked my head in just in case they got stock in way early, no dice. I wonder if they did get them in if they would put them out or just hold them in the back til Friday..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

They would hold them back. Apple is not a "store employees improvise" sort of company.

True indeed. I was hazy on the actual store release date, just had heard that online orders should arrive Friday etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm I think perhaps I will wait and look at upgrading my NAS to one that supports Plex first!

drat you guys for getting me hooked on Plex.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's a shame the app stores are bifurcated and there aren't universal versions that also support tvOS.

I think if my existing games had free appletv versions it would be a slam dunk purchase, but otherwise nah.

Played "does not commute" on the store's demo setup and it was very good.

Browsing the tv app store looks painful too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

It wouldn't really be a purchase the would it? What is the developer gaining by doing that?

No I meant appletv purchase. It'd just be nice not having to buy games once on each platform. Iphone and ipad stuff used to be separate purchases before most things went universal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh really?? I had read they were completely independent and had been going on that.. Well that changes a lot, I'll have to see how many of my favs are available as universal with appletv too then!

Can't remember where I read that, my bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Surprised you can't Siri-voice-yell words into it.. I guess it'd be a lot of titles and proper names that wouldn't be easy to parse though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hm you guys have me interested in an HDHR now. Only problem is that my OTA reception seems kinda flaky with some channels just not coming in for poo poo occasionally. I have one of those non amplified terk antennas that looks like the tail of an arrow.

Thinking of getting one of these: Winegard FL5500A FlatWave https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00BN5Z2WM and bundling it with an HDHR.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am still holding out hope for Google Play/Google Play Music on ATV, just something like on iOS that will let you play content but not buy it on the device.

A Sonos app would be nice too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

If you're talking about movies and TV shows purchased from Google Play, you can access all of that from the YouTube app on the Apple TV.

:psyboom: I had no idea that was a thing! I do the occasional 99c rental on google play but just used airplay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I don't neeeeeeed the Sonos app on the TV, but it would be a definite nice to have. I could see it being useful as a party music control/screensaver/album art displayer.

And like Marty says, Siri would be very cool on it.

Hell I just want siri on all 3rd party apps on tvOS and iOS, dammit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

qirex posted:

I'd love a Sonos app but it would probably just be for control and not play music itself which would not be super useful.

Actually yeah I hadn't thought of that but as a front end for google music/spotify or other services not on the atv it'd also be useful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had an issue recently where youtube playback was really hitchy, with subtle pauses and it was just annoying to watch. Restarting the ATV from the menu fixed it.

Might have been a bad wifi channel or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gotta wait til the fall so the devs have time to make some sweet apps to support the update!

~Fall rolls around, 5 new clothes shopping apps and a "cut the rope" knockoff arrive~

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm glad someone else is as pessimistic about WWDC as I've become. Year after year they list cool sound tools to make devs lives easier and make better software aaaaaand it's all ignored. Still have apps that don't make use of the change in aspect ratio that happened... 3 years ago? Passbook/Wallet has been criminally ignored by most, sharing things between apps appears to be almost non existent. I can't even send something from my photo reel to Instagram. I'm sure it's supposed to be there, but it ain't.

It's why I find I rely so much on what Apple write software wise, because everyone else is lazy and/or sucks.

Yeah I had thought AppleTV having apps would be pretty cool but with the exception of Plex (which is a reason for allowing apps all by itself) they're mostly either pretty but useless or flat out terrible.

There wasn't anything I was super excited to see on the AppleTV side of things anyway apart from the extended voice search..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feenix posted:

Games being able to require a controller could be s paradigm shift for the business and how weak it's been. Maybe?

It's a nice idea but I'd be really surprised if it takes off at all. Having to buy a $30-40(?) controller on top of the appletv? I doubt there will be many takers.

Definitely could be wrong on that, but I dunno I have some pretty strong doubts.

I'd love to play sky force on the appletv with a controller, but then I can do that on steam already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If they sold the 4 w/o remote for $50 less that'd be nice especially for getting a second setup.

I have apple remotes coming out the ying yang already and that's without universal remotes, phones, ipads etc..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That has popped up in other threads it seems.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do people bother with the plex pass or nah? I haven't found a compelling reason to yet, watching from safari on iOS devices works fine.

Maybe to create separate accounts would be useful but not worth shelling out for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a few SD movies that were itunes codes included in dvds, I guess those will never get upgraded to HD/4K eh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm curious about what the bitrates are for the 4k content and how bad it will kill my data caps.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jesus christ is this still going.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

wicka posted:

You'd know it'd stop if you folks stop replying, right? It'd have been like two posts if the responses had been "yeah that's dumb," rather than crying and turning the world upside down to defend an indefensible business practice.

Sorry you can't get anyone to agree with your views, I guess?

Don't punish the rest of us for it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it has wrapped around from irritating to funny again.

Go go mad post man! Fight those corporations who have wronged you!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do people keep their home button going to the "TV" app in TVOS11 or revert back to the original home screen?

I am going to revert back, it is kind of annoying and the tv app seems kind of limited. Usually I just go between plex and Netflix anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah it's new to me with the Tv app since that just dropped for Canada with TVOS11, didn't realize it was based off the app and not the os update.

I want to like the tv app but without support of plex and more channels signed on it is useless, and I suspect it'll always be that way. No way plex gets supported and tv channels apps are such pieces of crap anyway usually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Costco.ca has the 32GB for $219CAD plus there is or was a $25 off coupon off $100 if you use MasterCard masterpass or whatever. Seemed like a good deal

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s kind of annoying, I have movies that were DVD includes that are still just standard def in my iTunes movie library. It would be nice if there was an upgrade path but understandable that there isn’t.

I had a quick look through the movies to see what are 4K, just a couple so far. Don’t have a 4K apple tv yet anyway though.. The built in apps on my new 4k tv are good enough I don’t feel the urge tbh.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat I wish a provider here (:canada:) had a deal on the 4k ATV like that one. I have the previous non 4k ATV and it doesn’t quite seem worth it to upgrade yet.

Most of my itunes movies are stuck in SD due to being a DVD code or whatever anyway :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The holding play/pause on the main screen to change audio outputs (using my beatsX wireless earbuds at night) was a great tip as well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is there any way to get siri on an iphone to control appletvs? Like if I want to hands free tell something to play.

It seems not, it just acts stupid and confused. It’ll airplay music to it but that’s about it. Instead of having to hit the mic button on the remote, basically.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah its not there yet. I’d really like to be able to use my HomePod in the kitchen to tell the Apple TV to turn on and play a specific channel on my directv now.

Dang. Hopefully Apple improves the voice stuff because amazon and google seem the better options in general, but I’m not sure if they can play video from that either. Frankly I don’t trust them enough for the always on mic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I had one of the Harmony Phone to IR blaster doodads that they dropped support for and became utterly useless. This was like 4-5 years ago. I think I’ve seen them do it with 2 more products since then. No way I’d get another Harmony device.

I think I only had that one for like 6 months before it was completely useless.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

The new Black Mirror choose your own adventure movie doesn’t work on Apple TV. Ugh.

Use an iOS device and screen mirror using airplay, is what I’ve heard the workaround to be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Anyone know why the Appletv keeps turning on my tv after I put the appletv to sleep and power off the tv? The remote hasn’t been touched.

Could it be a homekit thing? Any settings to check?

It’s pretty annoying, I have to shut off the tv 2-3 times until it actually takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I might be having this problem too. Last weekend I changed my setup so that I'm using the ARC port on my TV and routing everything through my receiver. Since then I've either woken up or come home to my TV being on three times. I assumed it was my Harmony though.

Interesting, it just started happening in the last week or so for me as well despite no changes to the setup. Wonder if some update was pushed out that I didn’t notice.

I just connect direct to my TV and it is able to turn the tv on and switch to the input when I turn the ATV on.

The only remotes I use are my phone app and the atv remote so no harmony at play here..