Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m in the same boat with the previous gen ATV on an LG OLED. I don’t really feel like it’s worth the upgrade yet, perhaps the next ATV refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Protip: hold play/pause button to bring up a list of audio devices to send the audio to without having to go into settings.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Passing it along because I think I read it here ages ago. It’s super handy!

Interestingly the appletv will also output to sonos speakers directly too, I just noticed. Definitely didn’t use to do that.

E: also does the amazon prime app play in 4k? (I have a non-4k 4 and play amazon stuff on my tv). The HDR stuff looks fantastic on shows like The Tick.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All of Sonos' new devices have Airplay I believe.

I use the Beam and Sub with my ATV, but use the HDMI-ARC connection from the TV to the Beam instead of Airplay.

Ah must have gotten an update! I have a tv bar (the one before the beam) and a 5 and a one, not enough for a full surround set unfortunately. The tv bar is also connected to the tv via optical.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep, 4K HDR word fine. Interface is still rear end mind, but that’s to be expected.

Yeah it’s bad everywhere. Some good shows though, and all Justified episodes!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does Crave air the HBO shows at about the same time as they show on cable? That was the biggest annoyance with stuff like itunes for hbo shows before..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Finally a use for the Steel Series MFi controller I bought forever ago!

I got mine a while back with Minecraft for apple tv which is now discontinued :negative: I used to be able to play with my kid with him on an ipad and me on ATV.

It was a great price at least.

Interested to try Oxygen Not Included on ATV/iPad finally!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You need an old priest and a young priest..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

One thing I have noticed is the ATV now only turns on when I press the home button on the remote or remote app. I like this better because it would always seize control via CEC if the touchpad on the remote got bumped and it was annoying.

This is on the 13 beta I guess, didn’t realize I had a beta certificate on there after the last one but whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Feenix posted:

I mentioned this in the Arcade thread but I’d be real curious how much better the ATV4K performs in games than the ATVHD. I have the latter and it seems... fine but not great.

Also, are we expecting a refresh of the ATV in 2019?

Agreed, I was playing that game that is like a 3d version of spy hunter with a car and boat and it was not especially smooth on my non-4K.

Need to check out the Arcade thread, arcade owns. Link? Not seeing it in Games unless I’m blind (probably)

priznat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 25, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Upper left for me!

Ah no separate Arcade thread eh, that’s alright.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It seems like the main touchpad for the ATV remote doesn't turn everything on anymore, I gotta hit the menu or tv screen button to turn it on, which is a big improvement imo. I keep the remote in a pouch hanging on the side of the couch and if the cat bumped the pouch before it would turn everything on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I heard the One controllers work too which kinda sucks because I have a zillion 360 controllers :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup I think that is it. I have the wireless dongle to use them on my pc but the ones just use Bt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CEC is basically temperamental witchcraft. It works how it wants to, when it wants to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Homekit camera feature yesssss

Now I may have to upgrade my icloud to 2TB so I can have multiple cameras recording

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I noticed holding play/pause no longer lets you select audio source so you can switch to airpods, did that function get moved? Having to go to the setttings bluetooth menu option sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Gillman posted:

Hold down the TV button until the sidebar comes out. It’s at the bottom of that now

Ah thanks, hm not sure if that is an improvement but ah well. I like being able to out my homekit cameras up though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can never find the drat remote so just always use my phone :haw:

I would like some new homekit hub features from a new ATV as well, like building scenes with devices that don’t directly support them like the ikea tradfri bulbs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a sonos soundbar that kinda sorta works ok and a homepod based one to replace it that just works with the tv remote or better yet controlled over the hdmi would be great. The sonos just has an optical in and an IR and it never seems that responsive to the remote inputs. It works, but eventually.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

sonatinas posted:

I can’t play The Pathless on my appletv HD.

I tried it on my ipad pro and was extremely underwhelmed. It might just be me getting old or something but there are so few games on apple arcade that hold my attention it’s kind of a bummer. It’s a great platform just.. ehh.

My kids and I have a blast playing sneaky sasquatch on Appletv though so worth it right there (in apple one bundle anyway)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That price is straight up bonkers. It should be in line with the sony flagship 1000s with maybe a $30 apple tax on top.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just tried the new physics based puzzle game “Spire Blast” on appleTV, it’s an arcade game and great fun on my XS.

Woof it rans horribly on my ATV, it’s the non 4K version. Really needs a cpu bump!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I think if apple keeps pushing Arcade they definitely need the ATV rev. Arcade is actually a really good solution for gaming with kids, with a bunch of really fun family friendly games.

It has displaced the switch for us which never was that good for kids, apart from mario kart there aren’t a lot of games that younger kids can play. Even that 2d super mario where they can be nabbit is a stretch.

Sneaky Sasquatch, butter royale and the lego brawl are all fun for kids though. Getting arcade as a freebie in the One plan is basically a bonus.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Violator posted:

Wow, I’m surprised. I’m guessing your kids use a controller? I can’t imagine little hands swiping through games very well using the Siri controller.

Yeah, the non-4K is smashed dog poo poo now. The UI hiccups so much in Plex and other apps that it can be a crappy experience. The 4K is worth it just for the smoother UX experience.

Edit: Not to be a weirdo, but when did your kids start playing video games? My little dude is only a few months old but he’s noticing screens and is obsessed with touching my Apple Watch during breakfast. I’m not against screen usage, especially now since we don’t leave the house very much, but he’s got a while to go before he gets any sort of coordination.

Yeah, the HD is really old but the 4K is getting long in the tooth too so I’m not super keen on getting one with a cpu 3-4 years old. I haven’t noticed too many Plex hiccups thankfully, and video playback is fine.

Screens are like magnets for kids, mine got scary adept at using an ipad by like, 2. Now the 8 year old can operate the appletv pretty well. The trickiest thing is moderating the screen use because it is such a crutch to get some drat peace and quiet :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just let me have xCloud on the AppleTV and I will buy an M1 version (overkill for xCloud though)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

smackfu posted:

Somehow Netflix has all the terrible CW series like Vampire Diaries and they have endless seasons so we have to keep it in our household.

Same but for true crime, ugh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m really thinking of just saying gently caress it and buying a 4K box. I’ve had a 4k tv for over a year and really, reaaally need to watch these 4k extended lotrs before the wait to do so with a new 4k Apple TV melts my soul. Plus I’m sure if I do the new one will drop immediately.

Thanks for taking one for the team buddy :haw::hf::sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

American McGay posted:

My nephews play the game where you're a Sasquatch hanging out in the woods or something.

Yeah Sneaky Sasquatch is great for kids. It's like a wholesome and adorable version of the original Grand Theft Auto games. It also runs fine on my ATV Gen4 non-4k.

I'd just like a faster CPU for stuff like Spire Blast and any other physics games, even if it was the CPU from the iphone 10 or whatever that'd be great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m excited too. Worst case , if Apple includes a speaker , we just Airplay it to our respective Sonos systems anyway right ? (Pretty sure you are the other Sonos user here).

I have a few sonos too and drat I just hate having to use their app so much, but thankfully I can airplay to most.

The 5 sounds drat good though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New 4K and remote looks great, definitely time to upgrade from my HD!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The A12 is still pretty decent, it's in my iphone XS and I've had no urge to upgrade yet. For $179 I'm not gonna beef too much.

It'll play spire blast well on my tv finally! :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ll probably just go with the minimum size ATV again like my HD, I don’t think 32GB is very limiting.

Actually I should check mine to see what the space free is, I assume that is a menu option somewhere in settings?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

japtor posted:

I was following a thread on another forum where this came up, there wasn't a place to show storage, it was all just invisible to the user...but I guess that changed in 14.5 (or I completely missed it before), cause there's a Manage Storage thing now that shows you apps/sizes and can delete from there. Course I don't see anything showing free space, but all the apps I have (streaming stuff) are pretty small, like 20-100MB. The screensavers on the other hand can be like a gig each I think.

Yeah I'm fine with it for the most part, my biggest issues are differing implementations of timeline scrubbing between apps or the directional taps not always being consistent. Hoping the defined click regions/clickwheel helps clean things up.

Wild! I probably will just stick with the 32 although the 64 is only $20 more… hnnngh nah it’s probably fine.

I hope there is some kind of xcloud app for the tv that lets me stream xbox games but I guess the one coming to ios is browser based so probably not :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do people get applecare on the atv? Probably not much can go wrong there other than maybe crushing the remote.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Very keen to get a new ATV but I both want to hold off on ordering til I can get one sooner after ordering (makes no sense, I know) and I am paralyzed between choosing 32 or 64 GB!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

32 should be plenty. Hell most of the games aren’t that big of you were to install some.

Yeah.. but it’s only $20 more!

This kind of thing can paralyze my decision making, it’s super dumb. :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat costco.ca just has the old ATVs, I would definitely order from there and get some cash back with my ~executive~ membership (oo la la)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Something I just thought of was to check if the new ATV has Thread like the Homepod Mini, and it does!

https://www.gearbrain.com/new-apple-tv-4k-thread-2652671227.html

This is cool for low power homekit stuff. Made total sense it is in there I just hadn’t noticed it mentioned before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

New ATV showing up in stock at local stores so that’s cool, might just swing by to pickup one.