Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk if this is news but????

Costco Members: Apple TV 4K Streaming Media Player (2021) 64GB $190, 32GB $170 + Free Shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/15077086-apple-tv-4k-32gb-a12-2021-latest-costco-169-99-fs?src=frontpage

drat I just checked costco.ca and the 32gb is priced identically to apple store and the 64 is $2 less but oos, meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Holy poo poo, spatial audio with AirPods Pro and the Apple TV is loving magic.

I totally forgot that it existed, so I just put my AirPods in and started browsing around for something to watch like I’ve done many times before. But when the show started (the opening happens to be pretty loud) I FREAKED out because it sounded like the sound was coming from the TV and it was LOUD.

Took me a few seconds to realize what was actually going on, and this thing works way better than I would have thought. It’s pretty spooky actually.

It’s super weird even on iPad or iPhone too. It really fools you into thinking the speakers are on for sure because you’re just not used to earbuds working that way!

Anyone know if it is only the AirPods and Pros that support that or do the new Beats earbuds support it too?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iirc the beats flex support it on iphone/mac, even before the airpods max, so I'm curious as well. Has the same proprietary apple chip?

beats flex are $40-50, work great with the apple TV. I love mine.

I really like the beatsx (now flex) too because of the isolation and the strap. Thinking about getting the flex again once my AirPods Pro get old in a year or so probably. They all use the W1 chip I believe.

The AirPods Pro are nice (I got as a gift) but it’s always scary one might pop out and bounce down a sewer grate or whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

njsykora posted:

They do, the only Beats that don’t use the W1 chip are the Studio Buds that came out recently because they want Beats to be the Apple buds that Android users buy.

Ah I was looking at those, so I guess those don’t support spatial audio then. I like how they have usb C charging but I do still have a gazillion lightning connectors too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do wish they had included the find my capability in the dang remote, even the new one has gotten misplaced a couple times.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Minidust posted:

I got a case that lets you stuff an AirTag in there and it’s been working out pretty well, but yeah having that built in woulda been nice! Sucks that it is explicitly tied to one person’s Apple ID but I guess that’s a limitation of the whole Find My system at this point. Feels quite futuristic asking a HomePod where your remote is, but only my wife can do it!

Yeah I really want at least the ability to share airtags between family members or something, I thought it was a thing and got some for the kid’s bags and now only I can track them, kind of annoying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does appletv pop up a video window for cameras that detect movement? Had no idea! I am usually watching at night when the cam would either not detect due to darkness or just lack of people coming by.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a couple of the previous gen logitech circles, one using the window mount for the front yard and the other mounted outside for the back. Been looking at getting a eufy pro 2K kit for more coverage. Also getting the new eufy doorbell/lock/cam and hoping it can integrate with homeassistant well as it doesnt support homekit natively.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I don’t think my AppleTV has ever controlled the sound on my tv but I figured that was because it is using the optical out to go to a sonos soundbar. The soundbar has an IR receiver though so I can use the regular tv remote to adjust it, or use the sonos app.

Would be nice if the ATV remote did it though because that’s all I am using on the TV most of the time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish the AppleTV had an option like the browser + vinegar I use on my iphone, it's a much better solution than the terrible app there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I thought I heard rumors of a new homepod this fall but who knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

njsykora posted:

I’ve heard this rumbling as well but I’d be expecting a new Homepod mini that’s just called a Homepod over a revival of the full size Homepod.

Yeah I bet it’ll be not quite as extravagant as the OG homepod but bigger than the mini.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I have no idea what thread even is so I’ll assume I don’t have any use for it.

I actually keep up with these things and I’ve never heard about it lol

Home automation/ioT/homekit standard to get away from all the various competing ones. Also functions as a mesh I think so thread enabled devices can be a ways from the hub as long as there are other devices along the way.

The homepods also act as a thread base too iirc

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s really weird how thread support was removed on the base model, stranger than removing the ethernet port imo.

Still the overall price reduction is nice for a change.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hughlander posted:

I download youtube videos and then watch them on my apple tv (not exactly the same thing you asked but...) Because Youtube's concept of play lists and played videos suck. I download whole channels including their playlist into plex, and then watch them with Infuse on iPad and AppleTV. Mostly these are tutorial and classroom type videos where I want all of the ones I haven't seen to be seen in order, and if I decide I don't like a particular lesson, I just mark the entire playlist played.

Are there radarr/sonarr type apps for this? I would like to give this a try, it would be great to just pull my subscriptions into a nas automatically and then clear them out after watching.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Violator posted:

Hmm, just noticed this just now that you mention it but on my AppleTV HD. I activated a shortcut on my Watch that turns on my AppleTV and when I looked at my phone the screen was on and the remote app was active.

On a side note, if folks haven’t played with Shortcuts for AppleTV it’s kind of neat. I created a shortcut called “morning cartoons” that turns my living room lights on to 50%, turns on the AppleTV and tv, opens the PBS Kids app to their live stream, and sets the volume on the connected HomePod mini to 50%. With one shortcut I can get my kid set with some entertainment while I make them breakfast.

Are shortcuts aware of appletv apps now? I had looked at it before and it was frustratingly limited like “turn on apple tv” and that’s about it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah yeah I was looking to see if I can launch plex, select user and then play a playlist.. can only do the first of those unfortunately.

Shortcuts rule they’re just really annoyingly limited in a lot of cases, wish Apple would expand them significantly!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Babylon 5 is on Appletv+?!?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh drat you gotta buy the seasons not part of the streaming, carry on.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s funny because I signed up for fibre internet which includes tv channels and a tv box, but because they also have an app for the appletv I have no reason to plug in their box. They keep emailing me automated reminders to plug in the box and are now offering me a free ppv movie if I plug in the box lmao. I wanna see what else they offer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Apple should have a camera you can plugin to the appletv for facetime, or just allow you to use any usb one if that onboard USB port can do it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

The USB port has data. They could have supported any standard USB camera but chose not to do so.

I guess it opens it up to nefarious stuff but it would be nice. But then if they can just get people to use their phone why bother!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can barely remember but I think the OG AppleTV used to load movies to an internal drive right? But that was ages ago and now that internet speeds are faster it’s gone all streaming.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I feel the AppleTV pipeline of converts passing on their older AppleTVs when they upgrade is what converts new, non techie, folks to the appletv, even the older ones are lightyears ahead of any other set top box in useability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Speaking of the YouTube app on the appletv, they’ve added ads that pop up when you pause a video and, in true lovely fashion, pressing Play/Pause again does NOT start the video playing again. You have to either press the circle/select button or scroll over to the “Dismiss” button to dismiss the ad and THEN you can press play to restart it.

The enshittification of everything continues…

Yeah my kids were trying to watch some Clint’s Reptiles on the Appletv and the ads were so intrusive I said screw this and just screen shared my phone playing videos from the web browser with an adblocker.