Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is this the place where I can complain about all the new and exciting ways Apple manages to invent to screw up the Podcasts app with every single release?

https://i.imgur.com/7dcuoSv.mp4

Literally what the gently caress guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd love to use some other podcast app if a) it would sync with my phone and computer so I can, I don't know, listen to a series of podcasts in broadcast order, like I imagine human beings might, regardless of whether I am in my car or using the TV in my garage gym, and b) it existed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean ... maybe? I just spent some time installing the iHeart app on both iPhone and AppleTV and the latter doesn't seem to have a "podcasts" section even though it does find the thing I'm trying to listen to; it doesn't seem to sync across devices. (Ideally it would be something with a CarPlay app too, that's the whole reason I was hoping the built-in one would, you know, "just work")

I see there's a bunch of results in an app search on AppleTV for "podcasts" but I'm not sure what the recommended route is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TV app is what I'm looking for. I want to be able to use the TV remote while I'm on the treadmill. Fumbling around with the iPhone app on AirPlay (which doesn't connect very reliably, nor does it give me onscreen navigation controls on the TV) while I'm flailing around is a really annoying workaround.

This all worked "okay" until the recent update where it started doing this "lol you only get even-numbered episodes, we'll just skip over all the odd-numbered ones haha you boob" thing. The most irritating persistent bug was only that it would arbitrarily skip backward or forward by a random number of minutes right in the middle of an episode (permanently, you couldn't rewind and listen to the part it skipped, it was baked into the stream) because a new set of ads would download or something (is my theory after months of experimentation) and it would slice it up on the fly by just sort of, like, doing a robo-copy-paste of an arbitrarily selected chunk of non-ad audio to slide the ads in.

I'd just about learned to live with that when this new thing happened, and I'm like, really guys? Seriously?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 11, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Proteus Jones posted:

The remote will work with AirPlay content. I use it with Overcast all the time.

Not to navigate between different podcast episodes, like scrubbing through the "Now Playing" list etc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There seems to have been a recent update where when you are in "Watch Now" and you select one of the items in your "Up Next" list, it scrolls the whole screen up so the "Up Next" list is at the top of the screen and below it is a bunch of ads for more Apple TV+ shows.

Whereas before, you could select and scroll through your "Up Next" list and it would stay at the bottom of your screen, with most of it being taken up by the preview of whatever you are hovering on.

It's weird and I don't like it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Corb3t posted:

We dumped Netflix early last year, ended up getting my sister's login so we could easily have access to the entire catalog (I'm a Plex user), and quickly realized they don't include their results in AppleTV's unified search. Their content also isn't included in the "Up Next" section within the AppleTV app.

Netflix sucks.

It used to, back when AppleTV was brand new. That was like its main selling point, that everything would be aggregated together into a single continuous interface, including Netflix.

Then Netflix got into some slapfight with Apple and now they're off in their own little world you have to click into manually

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a tale as old as time, the distribution/infrastructure companies always seem to get into this mindset where they think customers are super invested in THEIR brand, when what they really want is whatever content or device they actually get to directly enjoy.

Remembering when the iPhone came out and AT&T/Cingular thought they could dictate terms to Apple because no way would any customer leave their wonderful AT&T service just because an iPhone was also available on another carrier. Their execs kept going on the news talking about how customers love AT&T service and think it's way more important to keep that service and not switch to some other service than whatever "handset" some "handset maker" might produce. It was hilarious, it's like listening to some Bell System guy from the 60s who would send a certified technician to your house to install a wall-mounted phone that was the property of the phone company

Now we've got all these content producers thinking we care about what company owns what catalogs of what IPs. OK so I want to watch a Marvel movie, who owns that this week? That TV show that everyone's talking about, who makes that, WB? Is that a part of Time-Warner or HBO or whatever now? Which app do I need? Am I already paying for that subscription?

Back in the day you'd have studio execs getting all huffy about "Customers want X and Y from a Paramount picture" or "Customers know what kinds of pictures to expect from Universal" as though anyone gave the slightest gently caress what logo came up at the beginning. Like there are going to be studio partisans who only watch WB movies and others who will be deep in the stone cold ground before they watch a RKO Radio Picture :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I could swear I used first-gen AppleTV for like a year with Netflix fully integrated, and then it just stopped working. I remember news stories about the change and everything. Am I just crazy?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK yeah I don't mean the FIRST first gen AppleTV, the one you could load TV episodes onto over the network and so on. I mean the first one that launched with a unified TV app and all the wibbly shiny hover buttons in the UI.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it was that they showed off Netflix shows in the aggregated results during a keynote demo or something, and then when it shipped it didn't actually have it? I don't know.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hed posted:

Why would the podcasts app on my Apple TV not sync up at all with my phone? I can airplay the podcasts app from my phone I guess, but it seems a little silly that my “Now playing” and other activity isn’t reflected on the ATV version.

Holy lmao finally someone else who uses the podcasts app and can corroborate for me the fact that its syncing is hot garbage

Every time I try to play a podcast using the Apple TV Podcasts app from my own library, the currenly-playing podcast sync to my phone works only fitfully. I'll switch to my phone and the podcast episode I had been listening to and left off at 1:34 will now be at 1:18 or 0:25 or 0:00, and if I'm driving then I have to skip around with the back/forward buttons until I find where I was or crash into a tree.

Part of the issue is that sometimes the podcasts will have ads inserted dynamically, and I get a different set of ads on one device versus the other and the amount of time they take up in the episode varies, so the playhead skips around because of that. But that's only a minor factor I think. The main thing seems to be that it only syncs your playhead position to iCloud once every 10 or 15 minutes or something, or sometimes just barely even tries, so it's never within like 5 minutes of where I was.

I eventually gave up and switched to AirPlay for whenever I'm working out -- but then I have a whole different issue, which is that the first time I connect to the "Gym" Apple TV in the morning it will connect as "iPhone -> Gym" and play the podcast via the phone just streaming audio to the Apple TV. And that works fine. But then if I connect it a second time a few hours later, invariably, it will connect as "Gym", which is where the iPhone Podcasts app decides it wants to control the Apple TV Podcasts app and tell it to go look up the podcast episode itself and start playing it at the point where the iPhone had last left off. (And half the time it takes like 5 minutes for it to wake up and download the file and start playing, and the controls and Play indicator are just grayed-out and unresponsive until then.) And if it does that, most of the time it will start up the podcast episode right at the beginning even if I'm already halfway through it on the local phone copy, and then I have to go UUUGHGHHGH and scrub around looking for my place while I'm sweating and flailing on the treadmill.

(I would dearly love it if there were some way to control whether AirPlay connects as "iPhone -> Gym" or "Gym". But that seems to be ineffable Apple magic and not for us mere mortals to comprehend)

I don't know, it's just endlessly frustrating. Every release they make changes to both Podcasts apps, so they're clearly working on them, but they're not fixing these fundamental usability bugs and only dorking around with stupid new features that don't help anything. Every release they come up with some fascinating new bug instead of fixing any of the existing ones. Six times a day I find myself screaming at the Apple TV "DOES LITERALLY NOBODY ACTUALLY TEST THIS loving poo poo"

e: One workaround I've developed is, if the phone-to-Apple-TV connects as "Gym", when I'm done with the workout, I manually disconnect the AirPlay so it puts the output back on the local iPhone. That causes the playhead to move locally to the timestamp where it last was on the Apple TV (kinda—the time signature on the iPhone may or may not actually match where the episode was on the Apple TV because the aforementioned variable ad break lengths or whatever). It's a stupid extra monkey-motion step but it usually works

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 14, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of, is there any way to make it not show the “in-video links” cards at he end of each video that cover up 70% of the bottom of the screen? Like dude I was watching that, gently caress off

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And further to that, using "the" gives it the connotation of being defined in relation to some other country, like "the Ukraine" is "the borderlands (of Russia)". Hence why someone insisting on "the" is kind of a shibboleth for that person having Russia affinity

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh poo poo drat! I had no idea that was a thing. That exact thing has been happening to me with my Yamaha receiver since the last ATV update (volume keeps randomly stopping working, and the only thing that gets it going again is to go into the receiver on-screen controls and turn HDMI control off/on). I'll try that. Thanks!

e: VV Yeah it didn't work for me either. :(

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 5, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why in god's name does every single app developer have to implement their own special scrub bar behaviors. Why is there not a standard OS-wide widget for it.

If I want to skip back 15 seconds, I press the left ring button and the AppleTV standard scrub bar ... skips back 15 seconds.

Max brings up the scrub bar but does not skip back 15 seconds, it just keeps playing and you have to press it again to skip back.

Youtube doesn't do anything, you have to press the middle button to bring up the scrub bar, then you press back and it skips back 5 seconds and pauses, so then you have to press the middle button or Play to start playing again. And it's suuuuper finicky so if your thumb slips the focus jumps off the scrub bar to some other button or info panel or something and you hit the button and that comes up instead of the video playing.

Why is everyone still trying to reinvent the wheel every goddamn week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every time I turn on my TV lately it flashes this at me

And I'm like :flip: to u too buddy