Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So reading the reviews, are you able to use the remote app on your iPhone as a control like on the one just mentioned you couldn't use your keyboard on your phone, which would be a weird feature to cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Question: so now that Apple remote app works for the new ATV, is it worth upgrading my main ATV? For reference, I have two ATVs, one in my living room (main), one in my bedroom. Both are similar use: stream video from HBO, Netflix, NHL, showtime, and AirPlay other stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ars has a breakdown on running emulators through the new Apple TV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz2k21 posted:

Errrrgh, I'm not sold on this ATV3 yet I got it all set up and Airplay is pretty poor over Wifi, if I try and play video from a streaming website in a browser it just stutters, I thought I'd try connecting via Ethernet but the drat thing won't detect the cable.
I know the cable is fine as it was working no problem with another device, I've tried Restoring it to factory by connecting it to itunes but no luck, so far its seeming like I wasted my money.

One thing the ATV3 does poorly is streaming and especially mirroring from a Mac. It's usually very responsive on mirroring from my iPad, but it lags like hell with my computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not awful pricing, but if the Apple TV goes on sale somewhere for $99 that's instantly better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

A Sonos app would be nice too.

Maybe it depends on the setup, but why would you want / need / use a Sonos app for the Apple TV? My remote handles my sound bar level if I need it too, and I would rather group speakers and change levels from my phone or iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

From the description, I thought we might be getting new screensavers every month but it just seems to be going back and forth between about 5 different ones. It's a shame, because they're really impressive (especially the top down cityscape) but I can't understand it taking a while to build a library up. I'm already as bored of them as I am the old apple animals screensaver though, and I'm now in the club of being pissed they don't have the ability to put your Flickr photos in. Even though that never worked that well anyway.

Can you still use an iCloud shared photo library as your screen saver?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally broke down and updated to the new Apple TV. I can see the hate on some of the apps, like Netflix, being a bit harder to browse than the older app. But overall, I like it, I think it's a solid update and I'm very glad I waited a bit so most of the bugs are out. End of the day, more apps so it works for me.

Random thought: you can side load apps on the Apple TV, like how they have the way of putting a ROM emulator on. Any way I could side load the Amazon iPad app onto it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Just got an Apple TV today, seems pretty nice so far!

I know that the app shop for this thing is pretty sparse, but are there any hidden gems in there?

Honestly, I would just say AirPlay itself. Beyond streaming video of any non app from your iPhone or iPad (like Amazon), it works well for certain games or board games. I don't use it often, but it was nice to play Forbidden Island and just pass the iPad around.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

All these features sounds great, but who is subscribing to all these streaming services to make it worth it?

Just work for a telecom company. You get every channel known to man for pretty cheap. The only cost is your soul.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gret posted:

You can mess with the settings to change that.

Didn't realize this. Thank god, the Apple TV screen was driving me crazy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I missed the Apple TV part of the announcement.

4K and video games? Anything else?

I use two of the 4th gen and they work fine, all I need them to do is Netflix, HBO, soon Amazon video, and airplay. No 4K TVs.

So I can't think of any reason to upgrade either of them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sock The Great posted:

The TV provider thing is the biggest whiff Apple has had in awhile. Why not ensure there would be a decent level of participation before announcing it?

Because the cable industry is pretty high up on the most evil industries of America list.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Never got an apple TV before, what're the odds I can just walk into an apple store and walk out with one this Saturday

Pretty likely actually, it’s never a line generator like the iPhone, and i don’t think it’s going to drive current ATV owners to run Out and upgrade immediately.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets > AppleTV - Signature Edition

Seconding this as the new thread title.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

What really pisses me off though is how many apps are starting to have autoplaying video, much like their terrible web counterparts.

This drives me nuts with the Netflix app.

Also, amazon needs to hurry up and get their Apple TV app out there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So it sounds like the TV app is worth trying, maybe I’ll go back and revisit that.

Does Direct TV Now have decent DVR now? I have regular ATT internet and cable, and when I travel, UVerse doesn’t allow me to steam most cable channels to either my phone or Apple TV unless I’m on the same WiFi as the tv box, which is just infuriating. I have a year left in contract, so I’ll either be going to charter or finding an internet streaming option.

The main issue is last time I tested PS Vue, Sling, DTV Now, etc, and none of them got Jeopardy. Of all things, I need jeopardy plus DVRing of Jeopardy or i’ll basically get divorced (exaggeration, but it’s important).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

Im used to normal DVRs where you can set an extended end time. It was annoying to go through and click a bunch of stuff and then multiple clicks to get them to record.

Yeah, extended DVR is both super useful and super basic.

I have a year left, so we will see. Charter will probably offer a pretty aggressive discount so I’ll be betting I try their cable/DVR anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Just FYI that the Verizon home 5G service is based on nonstandard technology that isn't actually compatible with what the industry as a whole will deploy as 5G. Verizon has to replace all of their current 5G hardware in the future. They claim they won't charge customers for this but I think it's worth noting.

This is probably true, but, while I don’t live in a 4G area, Verizon seems to be offering very good discounts to enroll in the current 5G internet if you’re in one of the few qualifying areas. So personally, I would take all the discounts, and down the road if Verizon ends up charging more, you always can switch back to whatever cable company.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Netflix on the 4K is kinda running like poo poo? It seems to take a long rear end time to log in and load stuff.

Not just 4K. I’m glad you posted this, my 4th gen has been taking a noticeably longer time to load Netflix. Once the app is open, it’s mostly ok, but I haven’t been browsing much lately to know for sure.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bigis posted:

I’ve tried and couldn’t get it to work. I think the Apple TV needs to initially sign in with an Apple ID before it will work but it doesn’t have internet access at the moment.

Use a mobile hotspot to get it internet?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Using the TV app is a 1 million times better experience than using the Fox app.

I never found the need for the TV app. Our main services are Netflix, HBO, Prime and Showtime (80% Netflix and HBO), plus Food network and some random cable stuff. Oh and NHL / NBC Sports.

I’ll give it another whirl, but I find especially Netflix and HBO apps to be fine, and I’m assuming NHL won’t offer integration because they suck at most things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apple taking $5/month from suckers.

It is the future. iCloud storage. iTunes. Apple News. Apple Arcade. Apple TV+.

$33 bucks a month from a hundred million people drives up the share price.

It is true, it’s just hard because it’s really well executed on Apple’s part:

iCloud storage: people hate losing their info, so $1-3 a month is worth it

Apple Music: $10-15 steaming is replacing purchasing music for most people. I buy some vinyl, but honestly Apple Music is still worth it because I can’t exactly play vinyl in my car (yes they usually come with a digital copy, but it’s super convenient).

Apple Arcade: surprising to me that people like it, but if it’s executed well it’s especially cheap for families. I can see this being super popular for parents

Apple News: this one boggles me a bit as well, but people are overwhelmed with news options, so a service like it will become more and more popular.

Apple TV: definitely the most sparse, but as they said, free for a year.

I’ve been paying for Apple Music and iCloud storage for years , for sure those two are a good value.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

puppy party posted:

I’d anyone having issues with Netflix freezing recently? In the last few weeks the app will randomly freeze and time out and the only way I can fix it is by restarting the Apple TV (Gen 4, non 4K) I don’t have this issue with any other apps, only Netflix and it’s happening more frequently, up to 3 times in the course of one movie tonight.

I have the same TV and I am not having that issue.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Subjective question : Any reason to look into Hulu if I already have Netflix, HBO, Amazon and now Disney plus ?

Gotta give it to Disney, the amount of content at start for Disney Plus is pretty drat good, and decent range.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I’ve gotten by for a long time with my atv gen 3 but I think with Disney+ I’m needing an upgrade, right? Because it only comes through the App Store?

Assuming I do need one, I've got just an old nothing-special 42" LCD - which compatible atv should I look for?

Def get the 4K one for future proofing alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My TV remote keeps lagging and being non responsive, as soon as I plug it in and give it a charge it’s fine for a bit. So very likely the battery.

Should I look into having Apple replace the battery, or is it just buy new remote ? And depending on the price of the remote, I might just upgrade my Apple TV to the 4K one (I don’t have a 4K TV), I got the Apple HD TV like, 4 years ago now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just got an email saying I’m eligible for a year or ATV+. Is there anything worth watching at all? The limited amount of trailers or whatever makes it seem like it’s just all garbage.

There’s a new series coming out in February made by the people behind Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That said, I took the free year, I’ll watch a thing on it here or there, and definitely cancel right before the year ends. Haven’t even watched one of the shows yet (although to be fair this is my busy time of year).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

This is annoying and frustrating and I guess I can’t google correctly on how to fix it.

I’m subscribed to HBO via iTunes (I checked to make sure I can access HBO content via the tv app) supposedly I have access to HBO max as well but when you click on HBO max content it directs you to the app. Fair enough.

However! I download the app and click restore purchases and it’s saying I’m not subscribed??

I can view HBO content in the TV app on my phone and Apple TV. Max is locked out though?

Has anyone run into this?

I’m betting it’s what the other poster said, you’ll likely have to cancel and re subscribe directly to HBO Max.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have the original Apple TV 4th gen (not 4K) and notice it slowing down ? It was never thaaaat zippy, but recently it really feels like it has been taking for ever to load and respond.

Haven’t seen any rumors of a meeting Apple TV either , but not sure I am willing to “risk” upgrading it to a 4K yet, I was hoping to use this until whatever next model comes out (plus the TV it’s hooked up to isn’t 4K).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would get one new Apple TV in a heart beat , the Apple TV 4 is def showing it’s age (my other one is a 4K and seems fine).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Apple really needs to update the Apple TV. 4K works well, but it’s been out over 2 years so I don’t exactly want to update my other Apple TV to it at this point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s my setup on our living room TV (plus Sub). This, however, is for a bedroom TV for watching after the kids go to bed, so going lower budget.

Wait for the Beam to go on sale ? I think it was $300 during the holiday season. It probably doesn’t usually go down that much, but if it does that’s only $100 more than a Sonos 1.

I’m terrible with Sonos though, my answer is always but another unit. It at least all works overall pretty well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Yeah they’re not really tech savvy (hence the accidental launching of our Apple TV) so I’m not worried about them loving with our data on our devices. Everything’s firewalled anyway (as in you can’t access data on devices on the same network) and they can’t get past the code input screen on our Apple TV.

Maybe splitting the wireless networks is something to consider. I was hoping for a “don’t let new devices access the Apple TV” setting or something but that would gently caress with having visitors (once the roni blows over) stream their stuff to our TV anyway. Hm.

Why not just buy a second wifi router, and you each use your own username / password ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'm a dumbass and will likely get a new one should it come out but also my 4K is fine.

I just want to chime in and me that I too, in general, am a dumbass.

That’s all I got.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Honestly, what upgrades really need new hardware nowadays? I guess newer HDMI standards need new chips? Audio stuff is all software now I imagine.

Need ? Probably nothing. Just put a newer Apple chip in it and I would upgrade my TV 4 that is def starting to be a bit slower.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/5/22369056/apple-tv-2021-120hz-refresh-rate-support-4k-gaming-arcade

I assume 120hz would not make an impact on video streaming ? Otherwise you would think the article would mention it.

That said, I would for sure buy one and probably buy 2 within 2 mins of an announcement.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

It won't make an impact aside from menus and interfaces being snappier to look at (assuming they aren't just hardcoded). Just sounds like basic HDMI 2.1 support. This means your device will hopefully not black out every time it has to change its refresh rate to match the framerate of what's being viewed.

Livechats might be nicer to look at.

Yeah, realistically there isn’t that much I need updated, so you can def put me in the camp of probably waiting unnecessarily but gently caress it I waited this long camp.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/12/22379470/apple-tv-homepod-speaker-camera-video-call-soundbar-rumor-bloomberg

“Apple is reportedly developing a new TV accessory that combines elements of its Apple TV with a HomePod speaker and camera for video call.”

Ironically, I could see some people needing this, but I def don’t really need a real speaker or anything, so if it’s anything more than “speaker so you can occasionally video chat,” I def wont need it.

I’m really curious as to what the price will be. The Apple TV is already the more expensive box, and we all know Apple tends to not go downward in price.

That does not mean I wouldn’t get it and then only use the base tv features though. I would likely just grumble a bit before getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Like I got a new 4K tv with HDR a few years ago and I bought 3 different roku devices and none of them would do HDR correctly. I bought the 4K Apple TV and it just worked exactly like it should. Besides that there were a few streaming apps that just didn’t work right on the roku and the consensus on the internet was just get an Apple TV.

The roku is cheap works for the most basic stuff and is littered with ads.

The $179 is worth it because the Apple TV overall is just easier to use and things just work.

I’m fine with $150-200, I’m just saying if they add a camera and speaker I could see them putting it to $300+, which would be crazy.

Now if it’s anything like this:

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is obviously the homepod replacement and won't affect the Apple TV.

Or like others are sayin, multiple options, then that’s probably fine.