Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Social Animal posted:

Has anyone tried this with the non-4k Apple TV? Might resub tonight for these new games but I have a feeling it will run like trash. Last time I had Apple Arcade most things ran fine. I remember the hot lava game chugging though.

I've been playing this and everything else that got put out with that massive Arcade game dump on my HD and it runs perfectly fine. The only thing I've tried that doesn't is the version of NBA 2k21 which looks and plays like absolute rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like integrating a screen and speaker into the Apple TV is a completely pointless exercise when that would ultimately boil down to just them selling a gimped iPad (at a time when the iPad Mini is meant to be getting a new version) so I don't see the point of it unless someone at Apple is really feeling aggro towards Facebook and wants to crush the Portal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think if you just want to use it as a streaming box, Apple will happily continue to sell you a ATV 4K for a while longer. It's not like that's lacking power for what it's meant to do (hence all the rumours about the 6th gen TV being more focused on Arcade where it would need more power).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah the A12 is still a massive upgrade over the A8, I will probably upgrade my HD to this especially with the click wheel being revived for the new remote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

American McGay posted:

It serves a video stream to your TV.

And 4K video, which is now such a solved problem that even a base model Raspberry Pi can do it. I get the disappointment over the games focus but the A12 is still going to be perfectly fine given that the A6 in the HD is still at least capable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah that's the other thing, for all my eagerness to get the new 4K I need to remember I'm still using a 720p TV and should probably upgrade that first.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think if your TV doesn't do 120hz and you already have a 4K there's no reason at all to upgrade since you can just get the remote by itself.

E: God I didn't even notice they added a loving standby button to the remote, whoever was designing this thing really wanted to give Jony Ive's piece of poo poo as many middle fingers as possible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The store page makes no mention of requiring a specific phone, it just says "hold your iPhone against the screen" and it would be pretty stupid to not at least support the SE and all the 12 models.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

My point was less about how they're the same product destined to cannibalize each other, but more in how there's not a market for something like the Mac mini anymore to the point that it's easier to add the slight differences the Mac mini has over the Apple TV to essentially cater to those small edge cases where someone would actually want or need a Mac mini.

Who knows, though. Apple has done crazier things

A streaming box and a desktop computer have some pretty massive differences in capabilities, what the actual gently caress are you on about?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

My biggest complaint with the current Siri remote is that the edge-click to skip 15 sec is incredibly inconsistent. I'd guess it works 40% of the time or less on first attempt.

The event showed off the scrubbing with the click wheel, but I hope the 15 sec skipping is as easy as pressing the left/right buttons now.

This is how I'd expect it to work, since the new remote has an actual back button replacing the menu button (which is what menu always did anyway). My inner iPod nerd is still incredibly happy about the click wheel returning and honestly if they don't have center+up mapped to reset I'll be very disappointed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

empty baggie posted:

We can barely keep Mac Mini's in stock in my shop, and they're also the one Mac that hardly ever gets checked in for service because they rarely have hardware issues. They're great computers for the price, and they seem to be more popular than a lot of people think.

The Mini has always been the background titan of the Mac line, I remember people being super skeptical about it when it was introduced because who would buy a cheap Mac (in the days before the ecosystem was even a thing)? Turns out a metric fuckload of people wanted a cheap and reasonably powerful desktop if they had no particular attachment to Windows, and that appeal's only increased as the Apple ecosystem has been built.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In the UK it's actually £10 cheaper than the old 4K.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can't use the fancy calibration because the SE doesn't have FaceID.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Even among the Apple hardcore there's not a huge amount of hype over a new Apple TV because it's not a Mac, iPhone or iPad. I'd be amazed if they were seriously struggling to produce them given the whole point is that it's made of old iPhone parts.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also the Apple TV app is increasingly on those smart TV platforms now, and TV's support Airplay more and more as well. I got a new TV this week and I can just airplay to it, use the ATV app etc. But I'm still getting a 4K for the Arcade stuff, and because Roku TV is a pile of laggy rear end and also doesn't have a Twitch app.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What do you mean by this?

Presumably where something breaks late in the AC period and instead of a repair you get the current model as a replacement. I remember that happening with iPods a lot.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Probably not in the short term, I can't think of anything else that's potentially going to start using 120hz any time in the next few years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm wondering if it's some weird bug because they definitely showed it working like a click wheel during the event.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It is very on brand for Plex to be poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No it wouldn't, the free subs are new accounts only.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

priznat posted:

I really like the beatsx (now flex) too because of the isolation and the strap. Thinking about getting the flex again once my AirPods Pro get old in a year or so probably. They all use the W1 chip I believe.

They do, the only Beats that don’t use the W1 chip are the Studio Buds that came out recently because they want Beats to be the Apple buds that Android users buy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Why would there be a new ATV?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There were 4 years between the original 4K and the one we have now, so given the current 4K can do 120fps stuff that barely exists right now I wouldn't expect a new ATV box until at least 2025.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

priznat posted:

I thought I heard rumors of a new homepod this fall but who knows.

I’ve heard this rumbling as well but I’d be expecting a new Homepod mini that’s just called a Homepod over a revival of the full size Homepod.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I can’t cast Youtube to my regular Roku TV from my phone without it opening the Youtube app either, though I can from the website. So it’s probably a Google thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's insane they haven't done some Airtag-like location with the remote. Having kids, I have to use my phone 99% of the time because they lose that poo poo all the time, and I find it in a bedroom 2 weeks later, all while I keep getting "remote battery is getting low!!" notifications when I watch anything.

They literally announced the current 4K at the same event as the Airtag too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Will absolutely buy the new 4K to replace my Shield.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wonder if there's any concern about the new models overheating without a fan. I just bought two 2021 models, and they're still in the return-eligible period (one is unopened even), and I'm considering returning them for the new models. I know I don't NEED to, but it'll be nice knowing I'm future-proofed with the A15 chip, and that I won't have any lightning devices left hanging around after Apple makes the switch to USB-C on the iPhone next year(?).

Absolutely not, these are phone chips remember which are solely being asked to play video and occasionally games. I'd wager someone finally realised putting a fan in the ATV was massive overkill. I didn't even know they had active cooling.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wonder if that’s an Apple limitation, you’d think that’d be a selling feature for their premium subscription.

Nah, Google's gone after tools like Youtube-dl because even with a premium sub they still need you watching videos on the site to get the watch data. You can download videos on mobile but you still need to watch them in the app.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In fairness it's pretty easy to remember who owns Marvel stuff. Also I cared about which studio made a movie but that was mostly because I thought the Universal ident was cool. Still do.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah it's apparently a thing to just install full OSX on first gen ATVs and use them like a Mac Mini.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's one of the things that bugs me most about these "free TV" things, the shows they're showing always have set spots where an ad break is meant to go but that'd be way too much work to go through the whole archive marking where ad breaks are manually so just constantly interrupt the flow of the show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That’s what Plex is for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I didn’t even know there was a separate remote app, I’ve always launched the remote from command center.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The only one there I'm not sure of is Nord, all the UK streaming channels have their apps on ATV.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's actually the reboot of Ukraine after people forgot about it for 10 years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yes. The original original ATV was literally an Intel Mac with a customized MacOS.

You can even install regular rear end OSX on it, so some people just used them like a Mac Mini.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Those people then text you all the time asking why their TV is so slow because the thing is loading half a gig of ads every time you go to the home screen.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Except then everyone whines that they're charging for functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, the current 4K is already better than it really needs to be. Unless they want to push Arcade more (lmao) there's unlikely to be anything other than minor upgrades for a long while yet.