Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Samara posted:

Does Twitch have a native app on this yet?

They might take a while, but Twitch uses 264 streams (and HLS streams for Flash-free Safari) as anyone who has used Livestreamer is aware. There shouldn't be any problem with someone slapping something together with their API. Then again, the iPhone doesn't have the bevy of third-party Twitch apps that Android does; so while a third party app is possible I don't know if Apple disallows it or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Plex's app has been rejected a couple of times now, so who knows how long it'll be until it's live.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Does YouTube support Google Cast?

If you need an explanation, I mean if the YouTube app is running, does the device show up in the Chromecast menu? YouTube for Roku and even running the TV-oriented web site can do this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Gillman posted:

It didn't show up for me. I suspect Apple wants them to use AirPlay for that stuff

AirPlay is proprietary to iOS and I have Android in my house as well. I assume a receiver will be patched in if it's not there, since a controller is in the iOS YouTube app.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wonder if there will be any discounts on these after thanksgiving. I kind of want one, but with a Roku stick and two Fire sticks already I have enough similar devices even though they're not as polished in the software UX department.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Feenix posted:

There will not be discounts on these by thanksgiving, or next thanksgiving. Apple stuff doesn't really go on sale. The 99 dollar ATV3 became 69 dollars years later (recently) when the ATV4 was revealed.

Apple Stores do incredibly modest Black Friday sales, and Best Buy will go full ridiculous (last year, the iPad Air 2 was dropped $100 after being on the market for, uh, a couple weeks.)

I don't expect much from anything brand new, but anything > nothing. If I bought one today, I'd basically pay full price to use it for a week before I leaving for a holiday trip. I'm just going to wait for any possible online deals. If not, I can always get one at MSRP later.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 3, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

sellouts posted:

So does Siri searching work within Plex?

Not until a future software update at minimum.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I bought this yesterday. It's very nice so far, though I wish Plex would show me the "poster" backgrounds instead of a blurry colorful mess.

Laserface posted:

questions:

It runs it's own apps only, and Apple hasn't added it's marketplace to iTunes or anything.

You can ask about specific apps around here.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 29, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Weather Channel app is poo poo.

The Weather Network app is pretty good. No ugly ATV2 menus anywhere and a TV stream that is like Weather Channel used to be before NBC hosed it up hard. I wasn't even aware they had a channel for the US; since they were originally "the Canadian version of TWC."It even superimposes your local forecast over the lower third of the video like a local cable weather computer station would.

If you just want to keep track of weather at your current location, Siri is fine; but if you want like a multi region forecast this will do you until one of the iOS indie darlings come over.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 3, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OldSenileGuy posted:

[*] Twitch App [b]NOPE[[b]

I use UnTwitched for many hours of watching (as my record of shot posting in the Dota tournament thread can attest) and am happy with it. Wish I could select my own bitrate quality, but oh well. If necessary, their iOS app has solid AirPlay support.

In a sense, an unofficial app is better because it doesn't include support for their advertising. I was a bit sad when the developer of Roku's unofficial app shut it down when an official one came out. It's not like they HAD to, given the plethora of Android apps. It's why their API exists.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cornjob posted:

It doesnt need a server? What "middleware" does plex have?

I haven't used the more advanced features of Infuse, though I've installed it on my phone for tinkering. It just logs in via the typical file sharing channels, namely FTP and SMB/Windows File Sharing. Which works fine locally, but maybe isn't so great when you're serving FTP/SMB to the Internet. I don't know how Plex server works so I'm not saying it's more secure, but people do seem to trust it whereas opening file sharing to the world kind of leaves you on your own as far as security goes.

On top of that, you don't get the Plex account system where you can log into a server or multiple servers just by logging into the Plex directory. And while it does play a lot of file containers, Plex will convert many additional codecs into something usable with your device whether native or no. Conversion takes processing somewhere, and while the ATV could transcode audio in real time (I've had an Android tablet from 2012 do this) it isn't likely to do video.

IIRC, Infuse is one of those "by Apple users, for Apple users" apps so you lose the flexibility of the many Plex apps across all sorts of devices and systems. I don't believe there's any clients for Roku or Fire or Xbox or PS4 or whatever you may have in addition to iOS/tvOS.

So basically Infuse is okay if you don't want to set up a server to handle transcoding, don't plan to stream on the go (or are okay opening some public-facing file protocol ports) and have never once stepped out of the Apple ecosystem in many years. And after all of that, for comparable features you have to pay for the app, too. Most normal user cases should simply use Plex because It Just Works.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 5, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cornjob posted:

Does infuse have the option to use local metadata for cover art and organization? I dont like that Plex ignores my local nfo files.

Maybe. I only have free Infuse set up on my iPhone to compare with VLC for playing files off a local network. I don't use it remotely, don't use it's Trakt integration (nice idea though) or whatever else. I need to play with it more in the future, but from a superficial scan I realized it isn't a viable TV In Every Room platform for most households.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GutBomb posted:

If you have a jpg with the same filename as the video file plex uses that as the cover art. I use it all the time.

Also the Plex web interface let's you customize all the art elements of any file including submitting your own works to the local database.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
None of the Plex apps I've ever used in numerous platforms have ever had a setting like that. I think whoever set up that old ATV workaround probably made that to address their higher-than-normal aversion to spoilers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The CBS thing was introduced after HBO Now.

flosofl posted:

CBS was in this fantasy-land where people were willing to pay for a streaming service of *just* CBS properties

This is what an a la carte system actually looks like, though. People complained about the price of bundles for years, so what's likely now is to subscribe to each channel, each one overvalued because they all assume they're the cornerstone of your viewing.

That's not to say bundling is better, because sports are so expensive that they should be a premium network like HBO.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

Cbs only has high ratings because the people rating shows are old white people

While it's true that a lot of their product skewers old (especially news), 'ratings' gives no shits about anyone over 49 because advertisers won't pay jack to reach those people.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Watch CN: No, but the Disney networks and Nick are already there, so it's probably already underway.

Comcast live TV apps that could allow you to use an ATV to extend cable to a new tv circumventing monthly fees for a second box: Of course not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
After messing around with different types of content this week, I'm ready to proclaim that VLC can't get here fast enough.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mediaphage posted:

Honestly I prefer plex; yes it requires a secondary device but I've found box not playing various audio tracks on iOS, etc.

I use Plex for a lot, but I use VLC for a lot of other things. AirPlay for videos in mobile Safari is sketchy (sometimes the iPhone goes screen off and the player stops, sometimes it feels like if the screen goes off there's excessive buffering, etc) and I just wish I could feed a URL to VLC.

Laserface posted:

I paid $7 for plex on my ipad and honestly, airvideo does a better job of the same thing.

Depends on what you want. I want remote access, I want multi platform. Everything people compare Plex to seems to require that everyone in the household use Apple products everywhere.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mediaphage posted:

(especially since if you put plex in the top row, the big artwork on top will change into recently added content, which is super awesome).

Huh. I did that, and all I ever saw was the Plex logo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Today I discovered that all of my instability with AirPlay is a result of Safari on iOS 9. If you're going to stream an embedded web video from who knows where (CNN web site, a :filez: site, whatever) try Chrome or another non-Safari browser in iOS; as they seem to avoid this problem of the video stopping if the browser is closed or the phone sleeps.

I know it sounds dumb, since third party browsers are just WebKit re-skins, but it really seems to work.

A similar issue affects 6S users who set a live photo as their lock screen wallpaper also have problems, as AirPlay tries to play load the MOV associated with the photo automatically.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can add a sleep timer to my wish list. Or at least that the ATV sleeps when the display powers down.

If you're worried about something streaming overnight, like Plex or Twitch etc, AirPlay from an iOS with a Stop Playback timer in Clock seems to work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

Trying to get a cheap 3rd gen AppleTV for my grandma. Where are they the cheapest and new or refurbished?

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/appletv

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

noirstronaut posted:

What is everyone doing with theirs that they didn't do on the old one?

Our cable company has a low-cost plan (which works by omitting everything sports related), so I'm blasting through Live TV on an HDHomeRun for cablecard with that Channels app, all my recordings made by my PC-DVR are indexed by Plex, and if I miss something the various network apps that you have to login to serve as a good substitute for the On Demand system you don't get with a CableCard setup.

Throw in that Siri voice search thing, and it's basically as good as a flagship DVR tuner like Comcast's X1, but I'm only giving the cableco a scant few bucks in regular hardware fees for the cablecard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is that with the volume compression tool built into the system? (Slide down on the remote while playing a video and look under Audio.)

In other news, anyone who wants game streams and didn't cough up a buck for UnTwitched can get it for free over the holidays(?)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You know what the major exceptions because everyone's talked about them a lot. I feel it's like 40% caught up to Roku, and the 60% is oddball niche stuff you probably don't want.

We're at the point where there's an app in the store for a shitload of US network affiliates and their local news.

The only uniquely interesting things are some ports of iOS apps that are hit and miss (I wouldn't use GrubHub on Apple TV, after exploring it), the games which are generally bad, etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Electric Bugaloo posted:

God people, just use AirPlay.

If you want an auto playing playlist on YouTube, just hit play and let the videos go in order, you have to use the app. Remote on a phone does help, but still...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Man, if you don't have a subscription to Netflix or Hulu active, this thing crashes down to Earth pretty hard.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I gritted my teeth and bought Channels (that is a steep price) because yes having a wireless HDHR tuner you can tote around is pretty great. My free access to Hulu quit the same day so suddenly the box seemed much more "expensive" if just for a moment.

But yes, Channels and Plex are top two app spots for sure.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
An app store update to FoxNow (Fox's VOD system, no subscription required I believe) has added integration with Siri's voice search. So if you look up, say, The X-Files, you'll see a FoxNow button next to Hulu and iTunes. I think unlike Netflix/Hulu/etc which offer to install the app for you, you may need to have the app installed already to see it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Anybody else getting Pandora to play right now? When I push play the album art flashes and then darkens again. Happens on every station, tried force closing and logging out etc.

Also, UnTwitched was pulled from the App Store so the number of good Twitch apps is down by one (and a Twitch/Hitbox app still on the store is actually an open source player somebody compiled and sold as a paid app.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like if the Menu button said Back or had a backwards facing arrow or something, it would make a lot more sense to non-technical people who aren't used to doing things like pressing a button that says Menu to go back a step in a stack (as opposed to bringing up a context menu, which is usually accomplished by holding down the touchpad).

It feels like a legacy decision that instead fails to communicate what that button is usually going to do. It's the kind of thing Apple usually stands against.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm fine with the touch, there's just two things. One is the menu thing I talked about, the other is really there probably aren't enough buttons. I'm curious to see how you channel surf their eventual TV service, since the only app I've seen try to do that sort of thing with swipes is PlutoTV and it is feels out of control.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Vevo updated their app with the one-two punch of bad app design:

Punch 1: Having to sign up for a (free) account to watch anything.
Punch 2: Bizarre UI design that is a complete disconnect from anything on Apple TV.

I wish there was basically any other "rolling music video channel" service for this, since Vevo's playlists are basically all about new music and I'd like to just throw on some 80s stuff while I work.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I got it activated over the web, but I think I had to reload without content blockers in Safari. If you're using Purify, try that, because that addon just sometimes screws up some pages.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I made it to the last boss of Rez and did not bleed from my eyes. Rez is cool.

I can't speak for Rez VR.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

You can sideload Kodi on to an ATV 4.

Man, I need to buy a USB-C cable. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Spotify wasn't very fast to adopt to the Chromecast, either. I'd just assume they move very slowly to make sure they don't licenses, as the music industry works with them but isn't very fond of them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LODGE NORTH posted:

Since the Apple TV apps never really took off, is there any reason to get the 64GB version?

It uses the extra space for storing a video buffer. So in theory yes, but in practice no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Irritated Goat posted:

Basically, I need Plex, Twitch, Netflix, WWE Network. I'd like to have maybe Google Play in there as well.

I know search queries anything that uses the API so if I bought movies from Apple or Google Play, I'd find them in there along with Plex. Is that correct? I don't care about it bringing up anything for Twitch or WWE. The rest, I'd like to have searchable so I can find movies I own.

Do you own an iPhone/iPad and are okay doing Chromecast-style forwarding to a device? Because Twitch's iOS app works with Airplay, but they served the guy who made the one decent remote-driven app with a takedown notice. Don't know why, there's a ton of third party apps on Android as well as one that existed on Roku before they made one.

If you must browse Twitch channels with a remote, if you went Amazon they have a very nice Plex app that's maybe a little prettier than the ATV one, the nicest WWE Network app I've ever seen (including chapter marks where matches begin and end), and an official Twitch app. Hope you don't plan on watching YouTube, though, because their YouTube support is awful.

You're not going to find Google Play on anything other than Android TV and Roku. While apps on Android TV are essentially the same design as they are on Fire except with more YouTube and Google Play support, the only problem with Android TV is that Google farted out the Nexus Player and then forgot about the entire thing yet again as they do with 30% of their projects.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2016