Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you've got an router of recent origin, use wifi since the Ethernet port isn't gigabit.

No idea, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

Even comes with Siri search support. Nice.

It has a search text box that you can use dictation with, the same as the dictation feature in every other text box since 9.2.

It does not support the universal search launch shortcut thing that launches the app and begins playing. While there's no guarantees, it seems that supporting that requires giving Apple a library listing of every piece of content on your service, which wouldn't work with these kinds of apps.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't own an Echo, but I don't know what "better" looks like. Apple's ability to create useful AI assistants is always somewhat going to be hampered by it's refusal to store personal data remotely. If you want a voice to read Wikipedia articles to you aloud when prompted or talk about when the sports game starts that's simple enough. If you want stuff like "when is Barbara's wedding?" or "what's traffic like to the airport?" then that requires change. Even just adding the stuff the iPhone has now would require adding location detection etc to the ATV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't ditched pay TV, and do the same thing with all that and a Windows Media Center DVR recording things and then automatically converting them and putting them on the Plex server.

Channels DVR is likely vaporware, but if you aren't going to use Windows Media Center for reasons (it's abandoned software, it requires using Windows 7/8 since it was removed in Windows 10, etc) the people behind HDHomerun already have a basic DVR backend with aviewer app that is run inside Kodi. Go sideload Kodi onto your Apple TV and you're good to go.

I'm using Windows Media Center still mostly because I still want cable, and some channels are encrypted with DRM that only Windows Media Center (and the PS3 lol) are able to decrypt. Here it's Discovery Channel and WGN America, and we can't lose that because SOMEBODY in this house watches every Discovery Channel reality show about people working in a profession and saying "well..." a lot.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 5, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure the HDHomeRun DVR software decrypts that just fine.
I had heard it didn't decrypt CableCard DRM. This is because getting certified requires paying other fees to CableLabs etc.

WMC was abandoned because it was a Bill Gates personal project (I think it spun out of the software used for his house.) DirecTV pulled their adapter support for it and the various forces of TV (networks, carriers, etc) probably leaned on Microsoft to just stop enabling people to own their own cable DVRs and instead go all-in to authorized streaming services on the Xbox One.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've had a lot of issues where apps I haven't used in a long time that authorize with a cable subscription (CNN, NBC, etc) de-authorize if I haven't used them in a while. I try to load a show and either get kicked back to the menu or sometimes get a "no authz" error.

So try logging out and back in again?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As Plex already has a search page, you can already use Siri Dictation as of the latest update to ask Plex to search for shows, movies, actors, directors, etc.

Yes, it's not going to list Plex as an option alongside Netflix etc, but you probably know what's on your Plex server anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As great as it would be, none of the ways Apple has used Siri so far has suggested they'd do that.

WWDC is rumored to be potential sea change, though. Certainly the other platforms are innovating in this space and ATV risks being left behind again.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oops. Phone posting gaffe.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
WWDC is on, and there's your Siri search for Plex, you drat dirty apes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

OldSenileGuy posted:

...hopefully. He said it works with YouTube, not that it was any kind of open API or anything. It could be something they just gave YouTube access to. Guess we'll find out for sure later today/this week.

There was something about "new Search API" in the big list of new features.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Even if you could access CBC's coverage with a VPN, why would you expect their app to not be geoblocked to the Canadian App Store?

And of course they're geoblocking. The IOC makes a fortune holding bidding wars for every country. Comcast-NBC wouldn't pay $texas for the Olympic broadcast rights until your grandchildren are dead if Americans could just casually watch Canadian coverage live.

Every begrudging element about NBC's Olympic coverage, from the cable subscription authorization to watch anything online from an OTA broadcaster, to the culturally significant events being tape delayed until prime time to capture higher ad dollars, is one of those :capitalism: things that is anti-consumer but beneficial for every single involved party except viewers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone in Canada tell me if CTV has an app for tvOS? CBC's news app is available in the US, but I kind of prefer CTV for being closer to 50/50 US/Canada news.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like a Plex search is certainly possible. What they showed at WWDC was asking Siri requests like, "search Netflix for Spider-Man" or "search HBO Go for Game of Thrones", and what it did was launch the respective app, go to the search page within it and automatically enter the query.

If Plex can register, "search Plex for whatever" and code for it to go to use the designated search function which is already built into the app, then Apple doesn't need to see your :filez:

Your Pirate Bay movies are never going to show up in tvOS universal search, or the glossy homepages it makes for each film/show. You aren't going to say, "Siri, show me Harrison Ford movies from the 80s" and see your goddamn De-Specialized Edition of Empire Strikes Back in there. But if Apple makes a "launch app and run search" command, they don't need to.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 15, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SaturdayKnight posted:

And it's none of the major players. No AT&T or Verizon or Comcast or even Charter or TimeWarner or Cox. I hope that's not a sign that all the major players want nothing to do with helping people watch tv without cable.

Well after previously saying they don't work, all the major players are going back to data limits (this time at 1TB instead of 200-300GB.) You make the guess.

As a dope still using cablecard, I'm almost kind of ready and willing to throw net neutrality under the bus if it means these apps you get as part of your subscription aren't chewing into that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endless Mike posted:

Congrats, getting people against net neutrality is the entire reason they're bringing back caps.

I only meant in the same way as the T-Mobile thing with the music services. Either way, they don't have to convince me, they have to lobby Congress.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Uncapped isn't an option for me, and upon thinking about it I think that's why we've never never considered Sling etc. Even with the cable channels coming over TV to satisfy the people who watch TV, between Amazon, YouTube, Twitch etc we're already too close.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For some reason, pressing Menu is taking me all the way back to the home screen instead of going back a screen in some apps. I can't count the number of times I've watched a video and hit Menu expecting to stop the video and go back a page, just to find myself at the home screen again. I turned off New Home Button Behavior so maybe that's related?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

milkaxor posted:

I'm running into the same problem. I didn't change the tv button behavior. It is annoying. Definitely started with the is update. I'll let you know if I find anything.

At least I'm not totally alone. They seem to have made a function, for people who accepted the new default of TV button = TV App, that long-pressing Menu will bring back the home screen. However I swear I'm just lightly pressing it and getting kicked back to the home screen. I'm just trying to back out of a YouTube video here and pick another, not completely quit the application.

For all the things it missed, this box was stable for a whole year until 10.2. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Martytoof posted:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this just feels like Google throwing out an app that's okay enough to keep me from finding a YT alternative, but not good enough to feature compete with an android STB.

It's Google throwing out an app that's Just Good Enough because the device doesn't have a browser, and thus can't run the web-based big picture mode that the Fire TV devices do.

I never owned an Apple TV prior to this gen, but it looked like a prior generation's ATV app running on ATV4 (Crunchyroll was doing the same thing until very recently), and system 10 broke it and YouTube can't be assed to write native apps for tvOS the same way they won't for the Windows 8/10 experience.

The Android TV client isn't even that amazing (I've sideloaded it onto a Fire TV successfully to play around with it) and the only widely available and supported Android TV device is the Xiaomi MiBox sold at Walmart, because the Nexus player went the same way as Nexus Q and Google Glass. It's less likely they're hobbling Apple to sell Xiaomi boxes and instead simply wish to make YouTube a universal web app. And Apple's "native code, please; no browser shortcuts" position means they'll always be on the slow circuit for client updates.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That's nice, but from what I can tell the Channels devs is one of those Marco Arment types that makes really great independent software for Apple platforms and nada for any other operating system. Plex's strength is being cross-platform, Apple TV's are expensive and there's not a lot of great options for Mac-based HTPC hardware.

And before anyone says "this is an Apple TV thread, why do you want support for other devices" I think the ATV4 is fine for your main TV but I wouldn't buy one for every room in my house.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

I mean, it is the AppleTV thread so complaining about it not being cross-platform is kinda mute. I was tempted to post about it in the Cable Cutting thread but that's where your argument would be more valid.

I... I guess? Apple TV is a part of my cable DVR setup, and Channels is already a part of that. Tell us how it goes, $8/mo is steep but if it adds DRM support to Channels I could eventually see it.

And if the doors open for somebody to make a Kodi plugin for scheduling etc on the backend then it would be even better.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Empress Brosephine posted:

Infuse is better than Plex imho

Infuse is good and I won't slag on it, but it does manage the whole database right there on the device so if you want syncing on multiple devices it's not going to do that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kefkafloyd posted:

Didn't the latest version add iCloud library syncing? I only use it on my AppleTV but I've enjoyed the infuse experience. Only problem is that it sometimes mangles fancy subtitles.

Seems like, as is the case on so many fourms, I should just shut up. :shobon:

I'm glad the Channels DVR sounds good, hopefully somebody who buys in will post some demonstrations on YouTube. Seems they have some sort of API for other clients, which is good because we can have one ATV for our TV hub but can't swing anything more expensive than Amazon/Roku stick hardware for the rest of the places we watch TV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I learned to stop being critical of Infuse because there are those people out there who are completely within the Apple bubble for devices, especially if they're living alone and not networking together several TVs in bedrooms etc.

However, since it was asked, the easiest justification for Plex over Infuse for me was:

* We have several TVs and while one ATV4 is nice on our main family room the bedroom TVs that only get a few hours a week are going to have to get by with Fire TV Sticks. Therefore, Plex.

* Plex can be configured to stream and do an on the fly conversion of live TV from an HDHomeRun, which doesn't make any apps for iOS. So it essentially acts as a sling box where I'm watching my local TV channels while on the other side of the country.

* Plex is also building a DVR element, but it hasn't been developed long enough yet for my use.

* Plex handles streaming my music library to my iPhone when I'm out of the house.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

Just FYI - Channels is an iOS (and tvOS) app that'll process HDHomeRun signals. The tvOS app has an extremely well put-together DVR element that will be coming to the iOS app in the near future.

It looks okay. I feel it costs quite a bit, though I'd rather devs charge what they need to in order to keep working on something. Again, I don't use it because our house is family unit that can only afford an Apple TV on the family room TV, and all the bedrooms have cheap Android devices.

However, while I'm on that thought...

if I'm going to have a DVR and use a Windows machine as the backend, I'd rather use something like NextPVR as the backend and use MrMC/Kodi's DVR service as the front end. That would also give me more platforms and a web site I can access if I want to record things away from tvOS/iOS. Although the developer of NextPVR has also made an iOS app that he's experimenting with bringing to ATV as well, or at least he said as much last July.

If I sound weirdly obsessive about this stuff, apologies, this also happened earlier in HTPC thread. Going from Windows Media Center which I ran as a DVR going all the way back to 2008, to a totally modularized NextPVR/Plex setup that I can even access when I'm on the road (I spend weeks away from home so being able to use my DVR anywhere I get internet access is a huge thing) was a project that I spent too much time and energy on. I kind of want to shout, "this is amazing you guys!" but I know for most people's needs something like Plex or Channels is fine.

Actually I'll almost certainly jump to Plex's system once live TV is implemented and a guide and recording interface are added to AppleTV/FireTV. At the moment, using one app to watch shows, another app to watch recordings, and a web browser to schedule more recordings is just far too complicated for regular people who aren't huge nerds and just want something like TiVo or the cable companies box.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What I was getting at was they're charging $8 a month for the DVR in its early state, which is unusual since it still gets guide information complimentary from SiliconDust if I understand right, and it's usually TV guide that mandated a maintenance fee.

All DVR packages cost you something, whether it's just $25 annually to Schedules Direct for listings on a free DVR program, or $50 for the HDHomeRun DVR (which will switch to an as yet undisclosed monthly fee eventually), or what $40 for Plex Pass? $96 a year is high enough that it would really need to be the all around perfect DVR for me, but I can't fault the dev for charging what they believe works.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A Fire TV stick is completely invisible.

Apple can't force other stores to develop for them. Amazon's video team is basically being ordered to do a solid for the hardware team here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Amazon doesn't have a game console.

The only valid complaint Amazon has against Apple is that they can't sell poo poo without giving Apple a 15% commission for some drat reason. Why you can't sell videos without using IAP and giving Apple a commission, but you can sell physical goods like kitty litter and baseballs without, who knows.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My point is, they don't like it. They could get around it, or they could use whatever leverage they have as an online superstore and a major source of video streaming to discourage people from using Apple products.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Hopefully Amazon brings a Music app with them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

badjohny posted:

And twitch.tv

Twitchy is already better than what they'd likely create.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've used VLC to occasionally play streaming URLs and that's it. There's better tools for almost everything else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

wicka posted:

"I am not mad; in fact, I am laughing right now." lmfao jesus wept

Just posting because I want to see how many pages of poo poo we can grow by refusing to let you have the last word.

Honestly it's like some political debates where a candidate refuses to stop responding to the response of their response until they've been guaranteed the final say. We're almost at the point where we can go, "hey man, rupture a blood vessel over the shipping thing again" and you do it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

wicka posted:

By all means, keep going. It is the funniest poo poo in the world watching 14 individual, independent adults all smugly melt down.

I'm not melting down. That was literally my first post here since it started.

What's funny is you, because you have this innate need to respond to everyone who responds, even though there's more of us than there is of you. You have a very clear out, which is to just stop posting responses, but for some reason you can not. That's funny, and that's what this is about now. All the Apple-related stuff was just the trigger.

So you can either develop your Not Posting muscle, or we can have a couple days of bad posts before the mods get tired and the probations come out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Violator posted:

Is there a suggested site for movie codes? I just recently learned about this and it makes a lot of sense.

Was also wondering this.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

qirex posted:

It's fun that format wars somehow managed to transcend physical media.

It's been this way since the fight over the <video> tag. Apple consistently takes the position of standards consortiums and their patent licensing scheme, and Google (and the small numbers of people who use free Linux distros and want to see them legally do the things they want to do) making a free-to-license alternative.

There's usually rational arguments for why Apple takes the tack they do, which comes down to "standards should be adhered to" and whether Google's solutions really are free of patent issues, but as someone who thinks computers should have the option of doing things people want to do whether or not someone pays for a software license I can understand where they're coming from.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 10, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just sell the loving thing on eBay, it’s in new condition why are you trying to do crime for $15.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The iTunes copy only gets upgraded if you redeem the code within iTunes, which causes Apple to flag it as a ‘purchase’ on your account. However since Disney expanded their Movies Anywhere service to other studios, many are now offering codes through that which does put it in your iTunes library but is not eligible for the 4K upgrade to an HD copy.

If the Movies Anywhere code is supposed to be for a 4K copy, it will be a 4K copy. But you don’t get an upgrade since this multiplatform movie locker service is replacing individual codes for iTunes, Vudu, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This isn’t a webview. The videos still move slightly off-center if you run the remote.

I would like to get rid of the related videos thing under the scrubber and move it downwards, but otherwise things are mostly fine. It would be nice if button that says “MENU” actually made the sliding menu appear from the left, since all menu/detail buttons on other systems do that behavior. Instead, I lost my place in subscription browsing because the button that says “MENU” apparently ought to have a back button on it, given that it can’t actually ever be programmed to make the menu appear.

Google does user interfaces better than Apple does, but they got thrown off by the constraints of the hardware on this one.