Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Proteus Jones posted:

YouTube TV - no tvOS app.

There is one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't have a problem with the app in theory, if it just had the skip function on the remote.

It's nice to be able to queue up a bunch of videos on my phone, and I can still double tap on the screen to move forward 10 seconds, but the remote experience is much worse. The fact that you can't bring up the left side menu without moving whatever your currently selected carousel back to the left is the absolute pits.

That said, I agree with Google in theory that app design should be consistent across multiple operating systems. They need to give YouTube a slight refresh in general, just like they did the site.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
VP9 is contained in WebM, and Apple isn’t convinced that WebM is truly royalty free, as there’s an argument that it still violates MPEGLA patents.

This stuff goes back to the fight over the <video> tag; with Google’s solution usually being embraced by Mozilla and the FOSS community and Apple choosing patented licensed options that are incompatible with a no-cost, royalty-free browser or OS, and creating demand for it by leveraging the Safari/iOS user base.

It’s hard to cry foul on Apple in this case simply because it’s difficult to tell how Apple benefits in doing this. Except maybe in preventing distros like Ubuntu from converting casual Mac users if it can’t legally play formats people want to use without breaking the DMCA. Otherwise, it’s not likely Apple sees Firefox as a huge threat to Safari and their OSes, and Chromebooks would just roll the license into their cost if Apple wins.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 18, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple TV screensavers exist in another dimension where cars all move at the same speed in perpetual formation, nobody ever changes lanes, every body of water looks clean and every brand logo on a skyscraper has been scrubbed aside from one Dubai building wrap for Tim Hortons that even the wizards of this universe couldn't quite delete.

Trying to make sense of what you see in them is a recipe to go mad. Just accept that they're what Superman sees on his casual days.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You aren't supposed to get 4K streams from Movies Anywhere code redemption. Only movies purchased directly from Apple were supposed to get free 4K upgrades. You probably just somehow got them when you weren't supposed to and they took them away from you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was somewhat incorrect, see above.

I was repeating what I remembered from a Reddit discussion where some guy that bought dozens of 1080p Movies Anywhere codes on resale was pissed that he wasn’t getting free upgrades.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
While I'd love to not need the Steam Link I own, I bet Valve won't be able to do anything about Apple's insistence on MFi controllers (aka Steelseries or bust).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They don't want you to just name it "Apple TV", because AirPlay is region-based and not limited to a wifi network. So if you live in a neighborhood where there's multiple households that own Apple TVs, you can see other people's. Sometimes when trying to connect to mine I see a neighbor's, which is named "Royal Chambers".

If theirs was also named Apple TV and it caused confusion... I still wouldn't be able to play media on it without confirming with the four digit PIN, so it's not like you can play 2girls1cup on a neighbor's TV. But it's possible their Apple TV would power up the display via HDMI-CEC to display the PIN when you connect to it. I don't know if it does, but if it does, that would be really annoying at 2AM. It's still possible if you're trying to intentionally troll an Apple TV that isn't yours, so I'm guessing it's not, but this is the company that rolled out AirDrop without imposing any sort of limits on who around you can share data.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple Music is out of the equation if you put Echo through your home.

Though if you do, the desire to play music content through an Apple TV diminishes. Apple probably assumes most people’s audio is controlled by TV power anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

qirex posted:

I'll never understand people calling out the Apple TV as being expensive, paying $80 more for something that actually works, has real software support and will probably last 4 or 5 years doesn't seem like that much of an "Apple tax," at least not compared to the rest of their products.

The remote is garbage and the platform is clearly a second tier concern for many content providers. I’ve been without mine for a month and using the Fire Stick in the meantime, and while you can watch it struggle with Kodi + Addons, most of the time I can’t tell the difference.

I think the best thing Apple TV has is the TV app, but unless you pay for networks you aren’t gonna see it doing it’s thing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'm not sure I've read a less true post in my life.

Yeah you haven’t seen or heard all the bitching about the remote, which is up there with that turn-over-to-charge mouse in “what the hell, Apple” hardware ideas. You missed the complaints about how YouTube and a couple networks can’t be assed to make a decent app.

I use it largely for Channels and Plex, and it’s fine. But if I had cable I’d be jealous of that Roku app, and as someone without cable I like being able to sideload poo poo onto Amazon’s similar doohickeys. The ATV has good horsepower and a nice video filter/renderer, so its a great video player but the surrounding stuff disappoints.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

lol the Fire Stick is hot garbage vs ATV

I’ve owned both for two years. It really depends on what you want to do?

The ATV is really good at some things but in part because of Apple decisions, like trying to promote games, refusing to include a web engine of any kind, and because of developer priorities it’s sort of a shitshow. And until I don’t have to login to Comcast in network apps and enter codes every loving week (the Fire device with a web based login seems to keep the cookie forever) I’m going to continue to call it a less awesome experience for someone doing what I’m doing, which is running a handful of network apps and Plex.

I mean I can’t blame Apple for all the problems, the lack of that Comcast streaming app that mimics the DVR frontend is entirely on Comcast, but the net effect is that I can say “I don’t enjoy this device as much as others for doing what I want to do” and you can’t tell me I’m full of poo poo; I genuinely believe you love your ATV but you must be doing different things than me. For example, maybe you don’t live in a Comcast market. Maybe you don’t value retro emulators. Maybe you don’t want Kodi. That’s fine, but for what’s important to me that makes it a lesser box.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Airplay 2 news is nice but Movies Anywhere has made the movie stuff redundant since almost everything has a movie service tied to MA and most movies carry across all services.

This is true for most people, but he just listed an assload of 4K devices and I’m guessing needs to play stuff directly from iTunes for the “no 4K upcharge” feature.

If you’re like me (never gonna bother with 4K unless it’s something I like a whole hell of a lot) then yeah MA has rendered these content farms irrelevant.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wasn't aware Steam Link worked with anything other than Windows Steam.

The Linux client has some options that look like server-related, but the description at the top says, "Stream games from your Windows PC".

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

screamin and creamin posted:

The iOS version says "...from your computer".

I have never been able to use Linux as a host for some reason, so I don't know. The Steam beta actually removed the In-Home Streaming panel entirely. Doesn't matter, I just assume either it's unsupported or there's Linux Bullshit between me and mobile joy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

screamin and creamin posted:

I don't know what to tell you. If I had to guess, your partial screenshot is from Windows.

It's not, but I solved the problem. It was the software firewall for my distribution.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Being less stupid about controllers is smart. Who knows if the platform would have taken off earlier if they hadn't been so hard-headed about it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There’s nothing the new OS does that the ATV4 should be inadequate for. And they still sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Violator posted:

USA, TNT for rasslin'
MSNBC and CNN for news
I will give special mention to Hulu here, because Hulu has their live TV service but, if you get cheap or periodically aren’t excited enough with wrestling to watch it live, they have a two hour Raw VOD that cuts out some curtain jerker storylines and the occasional bad midcard match.

Some people including myself find it the only way to survive Raw with sanity intact since they went to three hours. But I also stopped watching wrestling live when I realized how much of it is commercials and got spoiled by WWE Network blasting through old episodes.