Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone tried the Plex app yet or not out yet?

Ordered mine on Monday mornin (preparing for shipment, still) and will use it almost exclusively as a plex box. Interested to hear someone's thoughts when they have Plex up and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Got my Apple TV yesterday, loving it so far. So nice to have a legit Plex app and Airplay available on the same device.

One question: is there a way to change the quality of the streams in Plex? I have my Plex Media Server on a remote gigabit connection and since it's not local I'd like to be able to alter the quality settings on the transcode.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

sellouts posted:

Ah, as expected then.

Unless you must have airplay and you don't have an old mac mini I don't know why anyone would purchase this for Plex.

What?

I bought it and essentially only use it for Plex.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

The NFL app on Apple TV (not sure when this was released) has full Gamepass support!

I still have to use Adfreetime to trick the geo-location, but can watch LIVE full games on the new ATV. Pretty sure this is the first media box to support this, definitely never found a gamepass app on the Fire TV or Roku.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of issues, I'm finding that I have to reboot mine every 48-72 hours or Youtube and Plex get really choppy. Just force-quitting the app doesn't do it, and 100% of the time it's been perfectly fine after reboot. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not but it's somewhat annoying.

I noticed this the other day with Youtube. If I play a large # of videos in a row, suddenly they get super choppy. Restarting always fixes. Haven't noticed it with Plex though.

Pretty sure this hasn't always been the case, so it must be a software update that's causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

coolskillrex remix posted:

I haven't noticed any other app doing it ( I don't have plex so can't test it) but yeah as soon as the voice dictation search update came out YouTube just shits itself every couple of hours after watching lots of videos. Just totally unwatchable audio isn't synced and maybe five frames a second. Now my ritual for this $150 machine is to hold the screen and menu button to force reset it.

Thanks for the tip on the force reset, I've been going through the menu system which takes FOREVER.

Google definitely needs to fix their YouTube app.