Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I picked up a 4K the other day. When I AirPlay Spotify to it via the little menu thing in the Spotify app, my TV turns on to a blank white screen and the music plays. Is this normal? Is there a setting to have it not turn my TV on? I'm guessing this is just a default placeholder screen thing since there's no Spotify app for tvOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

jabro posted:

How would you be able to listen to Spotify through your AppleTV without the TV on?

My Apple TV is plugged into my receiver, not my TV, so it should theoretically be possible to do this without the TV on. But I guess with the lovely state of HDMI control, Apple TV tells my receiver to turn on, which also turns my TV on (and that is what I would want to happen in every single case but this one)

No big deal, I was just making sure something wasn't broken somewhere and I was supposed be seeing something else.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

AirPlay to the receiver instead, assuming your receiver has airplay capability.

Nice, good suggestion. I just set it up and it works perfectly. :v:

Pretty happy with this setup now. I guess I'll keep my Fire TV around for a bedroom TV or something.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
can confirm youtube on apple tv works great with a pihole. hulu however does not. hulu loving sucks rear end with a pihole.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is there any fixing the "3 seconds of black screen" when i start/stop a show in plex with apple tv's match content things enabled, or do i just need to put up with it or shut the feature off?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
the only major feature you'd miss is thread networking for newer smarthome things. i had to upgrade mine for that, but otherwise i would have kept it for at least a few more years, if not more. if you don't care about thread or dont know what it is then you're fine.

im mad that i lost my pacman 256 high score :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Corb3t posted:

VPN to the Ukraine and sign up for YouTube premium for $4 a month for a family. Invite your friends to the premium account and you’ll be everybody’s favorite person. Charge them if you must.

i've been doing this for a few years but with argentina on a solo plan. they've increased the price by double or more a few times (probably due to the volatility of the argentine peso), but it's still cheap af

original price: ARS119 (equivalent to $1.12 at the time)
hike 1: ARS389
hike 2: ARS869
hike 3: ARS1899 (equivalent to $3)