Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

The only thing hardware-wise that could possibly make Siri not work as well as it does on every other Apple device is either the quality of the mic in the controller, or the Bluetooth connection to the device itself. The former is possible but not likely considering Apple's track record with quality components, the latter is not likely considering Bluetooth is otherwise super reliable.

I'd probably chalk it up to either user error or most likely the ATV-specific Siri algorithms not being fully cooked yet, without a ton of user data.

I agree with this. It just doesn't seem likely that Apple would release something with its core functionality essentially broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yeast posted:

64 seems a pretty tall order to fill up for this generation.

By the time massive games and apps are becoming available, we'll be ordering the next gen.

So, probably not essential for the 99%

On the flip side by the time massive games and apps are becoming available a used ATV4 with more storage might have better appeal/resale value.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
All the bits get delivered the same way... via download... So I'm not sure how it makes a difference overall.

200mb downloaded from the App Store and 2gb downloaded once the app launches is still 2gb and 200mb of bandwidth. :)

e.pilot posted:

I was just in the Apple Store today picking up an iPad and completely forgot to check out the new ATV.

I don't think you would have seen anything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mister Macys posted:

Are these things still not worth buying if I live in Canada and don't have cable?

Serious question, by the way.

I live in America. I have no cable. I have Netflix. And I have loooots of content via Plex.

I use my AppleTV every night. It's indispensable.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I meant to ask earlier. I placed my order at like 7:00 am PDT and chose the fastest shipping option. Did any one get told "Oct 30th" specifically?

Mine says Oct 30th-Nov 3rd.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

My order status changed to preparing for shipment. I didn't pay for overnight.

2 questions, if you don't mind.

What time (and time zon?) did you place your order.

What was the stated delivery window for you?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

In Apple Stores, especially.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/28/apple-stores-to-start-selling-new-apple-tv-on-friday/

Think I'll just sleep in and get mine when the Fedex guy shows up at 11:59:59am.

I got the pre-noon too, because I am an impatient man child.

I will literally NOT hook mine up until Plex exists, however. I just won't do it. So I hope it the Plex App is approved and good to go on Friday.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

My birthday is saturday so dammit, I want to have the whole day to play with new apps, and Siri and have it not suck. That's all I ask for. :)

Happy early Birthday! :)

Martytoof posted:

If not, the SimPlex app should be.

I will google, but what is Simplex? Herpes Simplex? :p

[edit] Oh poo poo I guess other devs can/will/have made Plex receiver apps. poo poo man. Dope!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Thanks. :)

http://simplex.video

Yeah, SimPlex looks really good. Because of how they just 're-did' Plex Player, I'm afraid the Plex dudes are going to PlexPass the app for the first month and thereby give up a ton of sales.

Edit: Nice, he just announced SimPlex is ready for sale as of just 2 minutes ago.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/187382/simplex-a-native-3rd-party-plex-client-for-the-new-apple-tv-4th-gen/p8

I bought PlexPass (jus Monthly) this month so I could get Plexing immediately. No big loss, but yes I await any kind of GOOD Plexperience. (<--- Oh poo poo!)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there any video or layout walkthrough of the SimPlex-perience?

I wanna study up a bit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Those complaints don't seem too bad.

I could see Siri api expansion via fw update. I can also see this not being a yearly product so let's say even 2 years, it seems worth it to me.

But even if it DOES get yearly hardware updates it'll be a cool year.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Just received my shipment notification from Apple. Saying I'll get it tomorrow. Standard Shipping. Glad I didn't pay the extra money to get it a few hours earlier.

edit: Just FYI it says no signature required for anyone who was worried about that.

I want my shipment notification. <sadface emoji here>

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thwomp posted:

Also got my shipping notice, 11/2 delivery estimate, standard shipping. Must depend on how far you are from a port.

Oh that sucks. I was kinda thinking they got it to just about everyone (who ordered timely) on Oct 30.

Where do you live??

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm stoked to use Siri but hate 2 remotes. :/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
ATV initial impressions:

Heard SimpleX may be having issues. Haven't downloaded yet.

Remote is cool so far. Takes some getting used to.

My iPhone 6S+ set everything up via bluetooth.

I HOPE there is a night mode buried in there somewhere (or coming soon). My plasma TV BUZZES like a motherfucker with all that white.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Of course it' going to. Grunt level phone operators never know poo poo about future plans. They just fix what they can and keep you from expecting something they aren't sure will happen.

I wouldn't worry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

If the phone doesn't work as a remote this might get returned and the Roku hooked back up. That's a total deal breaker.

Day one... Month one... maybe even Several months... people who buy the ATV need to treat it like a new beginning. There's gonna be better/more features but right now it's going to be "Early Adopters Ahoy!"

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whitezombi posted:

Yeah why in the gently caress would someone think that the remote app would work with the new apple tv.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't saying that it should not be expected. Just that it may be a little bit of a rocky start/slow start to get everything back to normal. No excuses for Apple, just a warning to buyers on day1. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm having an electrician do some work. My ATV is hooked up but the power is now off. Has anyone found a dark menu mode?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Oh my god are man babies really cancelling orders based on a few relatively minor complaints? Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I love that the WatchESPN app lets you continue to watch whatever you're watching while you look for something else. This is absolutely perfect for college football Saturdays.

Thought my ~5 year old tv wouldn't work with the volume control on the new remote, pleasantly surprised to see that it worked automatically without me setting anything up.

So far so good.

My audio is controlled out of a receiver and the volume buttons do nothing. :\

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flipoff posted:

My order from Monday still hasn't shipped, what the hell was the point of taking preorders if they aren't shipping them until after they're in stores?

I mean, they ARE shipping them for delivery today. Seems like something happened with yours? I'm sorry to hear that for you, though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone have the Simplex App? I respect that it mirrors the AppleTv UI, but Plex's themes are dark. And like I said, my not-at-all-old Plasma TV buzzes the brighter/whiter the screen gets.

Does SimpleX have different themes or a dark background/UI?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

fordan posted:

Has anyone looked at or tried using the 3rd gen as a "travel" AppleTV? I currently bring a HDMI cable and the Lightning-HDMI adapter when I travel, but being able to Airplay and use the video apps is appealing. I just suspect I'll run into hotel Wifi issues.

Just a thought since I'm probably going to pick up a 4th gen Apple TV on my way home tonight.

This is intriguing. I wonder if that's not a really great idea. Vacation house or hotel or friend's house.

Does Airplay use Wifi or does it use an ad-hoc direct connection?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Endless Mike posted:

If both devices are on the same network, it will run over that, but if not, it can set up an ad-hoc connection as of iOS 8.

Definitely keeping my ATV3 then. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GutBomb posted:

The rejections have been about breaking rules about linking back to the website for purchases (presumably for plexpass)

Of all of the reasons Apple might want to hold Plex back, this one seems like it can be addressed in short order.

Anyone desperate for that functionality, SimpleX is working great and is only 2.99

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mahoning posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a QVC app. I don't watch QVC or buy poo poo from there, but it is the absolute perfect fit for the ATV. It plays the live feed of QVC and has a "speed buy" button.

I kinda want to buy something just to have participated!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lots of little niggles posted but one I have that's a little more than minor is whenever I boot up the ATV the ATV remote is nonresponsive for about 15 seconds and then I see a little pop up in the upper right that says "remote connected" and the. It works. Anyone else?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bass Bottles posted:

Thank you, early adopters, for all that you do.

It's an honor to be a first responder.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of the Wii, I downloaded a free game called Hit Tennis 3 and while it's not a very good game, it hints at some fun motion control possibilities which had me smiling.

[I missed out /skipped out on the Wii craze.]

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No one else with the delayed remote-connecting?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

That 'remote connected' message pops up for me occasionally. I'm guessing the remote goes into some low-power/sleep mode and wakes up when it senses motion. I let always wakes up and connects fast enough that it hasn't effected my use.

Thanks for letting me know at least it's not me. It definitely affects my usage. But in a first world problems way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kilometers Davis posted:

My biggest complaint about the new Apple TV is that they don't let Siri talk. Let my girl speak, Tim.

This honestly makes tons of sense to me.
Phone: she talks and confirms and reads back. Especially hands/eyes-free.

You're watching a movie:
What did they just say?
*rewinds back 15 seconds*

Vs.

What did they just say?
" I will rewind it back 15 seconds and add subtitles"
*rewinds back 15 seconds

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That's dope!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I'd say a good 90% of the games I have played on ATV run with a bad stutter or similar performance issues.
I guess I don't blame Apple for that but rather bad ports or general bad "fits" for the platform.
Makes you wonder what the ongoing relevance of gaming will be like on the ATV4 if the games of next week/month/year are more demanding...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Im finding a lot of games disappointing with the remote (not totally surprised) but Rayman is not bad. Silly fun that works *mostly* well except if you click to jump and then your finger lingers on the touchpad even a nanosecond too long you do the fast stomp move which wrecks what you are doing often.

I don't expect to be a serious ATV Gamer but I am considering an MFI controller if I can find a good one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Did people not use PlexConnect before? Not that this isn't somewhat exciting news, but the amusement over the news seems really outlandish as if there weren't solutions towards using Plex before the 4th gen ATV.

I used plex connect religiously. It was amazing. It also hosed up, a lot, and required fiddling.

This is better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Craptacular! posted:

I wonder if there will be any discounts on these after thanksgiving. I kind of want one, but with a Roku stick and two Fire sticks already I have enough similar devices even though they're not as polished in the software UX department.

There will not be discounts on these by thanksgiving, or next thanksgiving. Apple stuff doesn't really go on sale. The 99 dollar ATV3 became 69 dollars years later (recently) when the ATV4 was revealed.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Martytoof posted:

I'm running it on a slightly higher end machine (Dell R620) but it handles literally everything I've thrown at it.

I just now installed a plugin channel for my HDHomeRun so I can watch OTA ATSC on my AppleTV via plex.

The future (well, 2010) is here

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If anyone ever comes across an ATV Apps news site/list. (Whats new, etc...) I would be delighted to know of it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm getting a fair bit of buffering/loading using Simplex and Plex. It had me at 1080p / 20mbps.

Is that like, too high or something? I set it to 1080p / 12 just now which *seems* fine so far... (Not sure if it's my mind but the sound feels a little flatter...?)

Anyone else experiencing this or have insight on settings? My network is ample, etc...

[Ed] even at /12 it's buffering. Didn't have issues with plexconnect.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 6, 2015