Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The AppleTV is a line of devices by Apple that allow you to experience content on your TV. Like other media streamers (Roku, FireTV, Chromecast), the AppleTV allows you to access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, AppleTV+, and others while also allowing you access to the iTunes library of content.

The AppleTV 4K (2022, third generation)

Announced in 2022, the third-gen 4K adds support for HDR10+, features an A15 Bionic processor (previously featured in the iPhone 13), storage bumps, and small price cuts.

There's two models: the "Base" at $129 and the "Upgrade" (or "with Ethernet") for $149. The Upgrade model is identical to previous 4K models (with the above noted improvements) and has all the same features as the Base. But the Base removes the gigabit ethernet port and support for the Thread smarthome protocol in exchange for a lower price. It's likely worth the extra 20 bucks if you are at all interested in future smart home products.

Why Should I Buy an AppleTV?
While they're still the most expensive of the streaming boxes out there ($129/$149 straight from Apple, often on sale for less), it works more fluidly with more apps and services than most streamers on the market. In Apple parlance, it just works.

Also, the more into Apple's eco-system you are, the more you'll get out of an AppleTV. AirPlaying, access to iTunes purchases/renting, and HomeKit integrations all add up into additional bonuses you wouldn't get without being in Apple's walled garden.

The Remote

The last remote was....controversial. This form factor is much improved by being thicker (though still too slim for some) as well as more clicky. While the entire black pad up top is touch-sensitive for swiping, the edges are also clicky for more precise selection. And no, it isn't able to play a noise to help you find it when you lose it.

The rest of the remote is straightforward: a back button, a Home (the "TV") button (its function can be changed in Settings), Play/Pause, volume up/down, and Mute. There's also a Siri button on the side for dictation or Siri assistance searches.

The remote is rechargeable via USB-C (new for 2022. Lightning for older versions). Apple quotes "months" of usability on a single charge. The AppleTV will let you know when the remote is getting low on battery.

No, it doesn't have a locater/speaker to help you find it. Yes, that's a glaring omission in TYOOL 2022.

Previous AppleTVs
  • AppleTV 4K (second gen, 2021) - Clearing out inventory now (2022). Was a welcome revision that enabled better/smoother 4K playback.
  • AppleTV 4K (first gen, 2017) - Discontinued no-longer sold. Lacked some HDR/spec support. A minimum viable spec to play 4K.
  • AppleTV HD (2015) - 1080p max resolution. Came with the remote that you either hated or felt was "fine". First to support the modern tvOS ecosystem (app store, apps, etc).
  • AppleTV (second and third gen, 2010 and 2012 respectively) - some of the first Apple streaming boxes after the iPhone launched. Supported 720/1080p but didn't have app stores.
  • AppleTV (first gen, 2007) - Launched prior to the OG iPhone, this was essentially a stripped down Mac with local storage.

Other Benefits of the AppleTV
AirPlay
If you are heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, AirPlay is one of the best perks. Nearly all current Apple devices and MacOS machines can use AirPlay to stream content or mirror their device wirelessly to any AppleTV on the same WiFi network. Super handy to show off that one YouTube video you just saw or show off pictures to a room full of people.

HomeKit Integration
If you've got smart home stuff that works with homekit, an AppleTV can serve as a Home Hub (manages the smart home stuff and allows remote access/control of smart stuff) and let you control said stuff. I've got a homekit scene called Movie Time which dims the smart lights in my family room to 1%. All I have to do is use the AppleTV remote to ask Siri to 'Run Move Time'. Easy peasy.

iCloud
All your iCloud Photos and Music are available via the iCloud app. iCloud can also store the setup of your app layout (iCloud Home Screen) and keep multiple AppleTV's synced to display the same apps the same way.

Other niche sharing stuff
Apple has been building out ways to further share AppleTV "experiences". I honestly don't know what else to call it but they have SharePlay which lets you and a friend, both with AppleTVs and FaceTime-able devices, to sync streams so that you can watch something together...remotely (if that makes sense).

There's also an audio sharing feature so if you and someone else are listening to a stream via AirPods, it'll sync the audio and allow each person independent volume control. So a "Kids are Asleep" mode for parents? Again, very niche but it's functionality that's there for those who want to use it.

FAQ
Which AppleTV should I get? - The AppleTV 4K (2022 Version, with Ethernet). Unless you have no interest at all in smart home stuff and wish to save $20, the slightly pricier version is a better long term bet.

What are some good games to show off the ATV? - Check out the iOS gaming megathread for recommendations.

Do I have to use the Remote to play games? - No. Apple rolled out support for modern gaming controllers in the past few years. They'll pair just fine via Bluetooth.

Can I still use a Harmony or universal remote with the new AppleTV? - Yes! The AppleTV still has an IR port to receive commands.

Can I watch live TV with the AppleTV - Yes and most major streaming TV services (SlingTV/Playstation VUE/DirecTV Now) have really nice tvOS apps.

Additionally, if you have the credentials for a valid cable/satellite account, and if a network's app is in the app store, it could support live streaming. It may be through TV Everywhere - that service where if you enter your current cable/satellite subscription information, you could get access to that app's streaming content.

I wish there was a way to go back to the home screen without hitting the Menu button a million times! - There is! Hold the Menu button.
Other Button Stuff:
Menu Button
-Single Click: Goes back to the last screen.
-Hold: Goes back to the Home screen.
-Double Click: Activates the screensaver.
-Triple Click: Enables the Accessibility menu (VoiceOver and Zoom).
Home Button
-Single Click: Goes directly to the Home screen -OR- can send you to the TV app. You can choose your preference in Settings.
-Hold: Pulls up the slide out menu to switch users, access homekit stuff, or sleep the AppleTV.
-Double Click: Pulls up the app switcher.
Play/Pause
-Single Click: Play/Pause.
-Hold: Sends you to the Apple Music app to whatever the last song was playing.
-Clicking when entering text: Capitalizes (or uncapitalizes) letters.
-Clicking when moving an app: Deletes app.
Home + Menu Buttons
-Holding together will force a restart.

I don't want to enter my iTunes password every time I want to rent/buy something. But I also don't want my child/jerkass neighbor/deadbeat friend to buy some lovely app. Is there anything I can do? - Yes! Go to Settings->General->Restrictions. Turn Restrictions on and set up a 4 digit pin code. Then set the iTunes Store to Restricted. Now you don't have to enter your iTunes password and you are protected against random app/media purchases.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Rick Sanchez posted:

Anyone know when they'll have these available to mess with in Apple Stores?

Also, when is the embargo lifted for full reviews?

They'll likely have display units out whenever these start to ship so maybe this weekend?

As for full reviews, likely also after they start to ship but only for those outlets that received the developer preview kits. Most reviews won't start appearing until about a week or so afterwards.

I predict that most reviews will settle on this: "Faster and easier to navigate than past AppleTVs, Siri universal search is a great addition, and App Store holds the future of the device but is currently bereft of killer apps."

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 26, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Here's hoping the TV App Store eventually has a "Best Games Built for MFi" section.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Looking forward to seeing how siri will handle a 3 year old demanding to watch Peppa Pig.

This is my big question with the universal search. When you ask to find a movie, will it also list everything on YouTube that also matches that movie?

Kilometers Davis posted:

How likely is it that I'll be able to head to Best Buy/Target on Friday and grab one of these? I'm cautiously holding off on preordering in hopes I can get one faster from retail.

No one knows what quantities will be available at Apple Stores on Friday, let alone 3rd party retailers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that review just feels like a rushjob to get it out before anyone else.

The guy is complaining about Siri not working (it's a developer preview and maybe the whole backend service wasn't quite ready?) and appears clueless as to why an IR port is even included. What's the point of reviewing the device when its backend services and major new features (app store, gaming) isn't available to test yet?

That said, if Siri isn't working as intended, it'll be a huge sore point.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I suspect games that want to require the use of a 3rd party controller will make it pretty clear that "for the best experience, please use a controller" is prominently displayed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's anybody's guess right now. There's a lot of functions in place to reduce app size but it remains to be seen how much it'll take to fill these things.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

I need to sell my current one. It holds no information, but it still feels like it'll be a hassle setting up a new one similar to how buying a new iPhone goes.

Setup is about the easiest thing. Since the 3rd gen AppleTV, you can tap your iPhone 5 or later on your AppleTV unit and it'll transfer all your account settings and wifi passwords.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

e: Oh just BT. I wonder how it knows the tap happened though.

When you first power on an AppleTV, the first screen allows you to proceed via the remote but also prompts you to use your newer iPhone to tap so it must know to have Bluetooth enabled.

yeah, check it out on Apple's official support site.

Edit:VVV yeah well typing out all the loving requirements is a pain (iDevice running iOS7 or later and an AppleTV 3rd-Generation running AppleTV Software 6.0 or later) and it should work on all of the new AppleTVs.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How invested are you in the Apple ecosystem? Do you care about having access to the iTunes library of content? Does light gaming matter to you?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd also expect an update to the Remote app on Friday or Monday.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also got my shipping notice, 11/2 delivery estimate, standard shipping. Must depend on how far you are from a port.

Edit: I'm in Chicago.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 29, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Like with any new Apple hardware launch, I'd give it a few weeks for devs to get their apps updated (like with 3D touch/Apple Watch support). Or in this case, get their apps on the store in the first place.

Did the YouTube app get downloaded from the store? It's a weird 1st/3rd party app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

An item for the FAQ:

Legacy AppleTV remotes WILL work with the new AppleTV. Just no Siri, touchpad, etc. But as directional buttons, play/pause, etc. they work fine!

Added!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

So what apps does Siri actually work with? I can tell it to search YouTube for something, and it will open search in YouTube but won't actually search for what I said. If the remote app isn't going to work out of the box they should at least give you an alternative to it in Siri.

I'd expect the big streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and iTunes) with more to come over the following weeks. I'm sure YouTube will get it in an update.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

Okay for like months now, my Apple TV (3) hasn't been able to see my content on my computer. iTunes says home sharing is on but the Apple TV and the remote app on my phone just can't see it. It's really annoying because 99% of what I use the thing for is streaming. I'm almost ready to just replace it with a chromecast (we have one on the upstairs tv and it works great w/ plex)

I've tried every solution I can google. I got it work a couple times briefly but it always goes back to not working. Anyone have any advice?

Are you running Windows? Which version?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Weird. I had an issue after moving from 7 to 8 where I couldn't get my Home Share to play. I had to downgrade back to 7 to get it working again. (FYI, moving to 10 hasn't yet caused the issue).

The only other thing I can think of is to try uninstalling iTunes completely and rebuilding your library from scratch. (Assuming you've tried everything else on the Apple Support forums like renaming your computer/itunes library, router stuff, etc).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There may be refurbished units available in a few months. You can usually get 5-10% off with a refurb and the reliability is nearly the same as brand new.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I predict that most reviews will settle on this: "Faster and easier to navigate than past AppleTVs, Siri universal search is a great addition, and App Store holds the future of the device but is currently bereft of killer apps."

Right now, the above is pretty reflective with the notable addition of a few bugs (Siri imperfections, the Remote app getting updated, etc) that will likely get patched out over the coming weeks and months.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Going to try messing around with Plex tonight. The thought of getting Live TV via an HDHR sounds pretty intoxicating.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just point your media player to your iTunes library location?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Is there precedent for any app working that way yet? Plex doesn't really count since it uses its own software on the media server. Since the iTunes Home Sharing infrastructure is already built into the ATV, I'm wondering if 3rd party players can piggyback off that.

I'm confused a bit by what you're asking.

I don't think Home Sharing is going to be opened up at all, especially since you need your Apple credentials to make it work.

But if you've already got iTunes managing your content, I would presume you've got either iTunes managing the library of files or the files already organized manually. Either way, the files are already organized for easy indexing by a 3rd party server software.

So wouldn't pointing Plex or Air Video to look for files in your iTunes Media directory already accomplish what you're attempting to do?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have two major issues with the new ATV.

1) The Netflix app has this annoying habit of attempting to pick up where I last left off but then booting me back to the home screen. I then go back into the app and it usually returns me to where I last was. Annoying but seems like some work needs to be done on resuming the last state on netflix's end.

2) I have no idea how the skip ahead thing is suppose to work. If I see the little icon do I click then? This kinda extends to the YouTube app. There's no way to skip ads unless you have the new Remote. My old harmony used to be able to just click right but that only fast fowards now. But doing the hold right on the new Remote is like you have to hold right then click. Is this the skip functionality?

The first will have to wait for a netflix app update, I suppose. The second is more Apple's problem with their implementation. Time will tell if a software update will improve on it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Not only have I not had to log into any apps more than once, I can't even log into youtube on ATV4 so I'm at a big fat 0 there.

Perhaps its time to get an Apple Store involved?

Edit:

This is why I like the Ars review. Yes, they point out that the keyboard is awful and putting in your password is a pain. However, they also point out the obvious that you do only do it once for each service and then never again.

I think they mentioned the keyboard/signing in only once more in a summary portion at the end.

I'd love to hear from an tvOS dev about what the possibilities are with linking up with Siri. I know we're all waiting for YouTube to implement a voice search but I'm wondering if that's even possible.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 10, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Lifehacker has a good article (shocker) on a ton of the shortcuts/extras you can do with the AppleTV. A few things I was not aware of at all so I'll be throwing a bunch of this into the OP.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Why isn't there an Amazon Prime Video app that just works the same way as the iOS app? As in there's no way to purchase things on it, but Prime streaming and stuff you've rented/purchased on a browser is available?

Because Amazon wants you to buy its hardware. It's why they pulled support for the Chromecast and Android TV too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've noticed that if I put the AppleTV to sleep, it turns off my tv. But if I wake it up and the tv is off, nothing happens. Is that normal?

You may need to go into your tv's menu and allow for external devices to power your tv on.

I know my Panasonic had turn off via CEC enabled but turn on disabled by default. Which is kinda weird but whatever.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Or you could set up a 4 digit pin code for your appletv and set your restrictions to Restrict purchases.

General->Settings->Restrictions
-Turn On
-Create 4 digit pin, and reconfirm pin.
-Select Restrict for iTunes Store.

No need to continually enter your iTunes password AND you're protected from butt purchasing the Gilt app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Got a link? I don't see any updates in the App Store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And the CEO of CBS confirmed that Apple's live streaming service is on indefinite hold due to network/studio cost demands.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the remote, I just got my first message that it was at 20% battery.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I feel like I'm about to invoke the "you're holding it wrong" line but I don't have any issues with the remote.

Then again, I'm not holding it while I'm watching something. I do think I've altered how I pick it up so as to not brush against the touch surface.

Two other anecdotes: my wife hates it and reports similar "too sensitive" issues. Another friend got used to it really quick without issues.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

HAs anyone else found (unsurprisingly, I suppose, but still disappointingly) that the new ATV plays games rather poorly, performance-wise?

I can only speak to the free Star Wars level in Disney Infinity but that plays really nicely.

I'm sure most of it has to do with most games are ports of games for iOS devices. I know tvOS and iOS are supposedly the same (or at least share a majority of their code) but you'd think they'd play similar to a iPhone 6.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bigis posted:

My RPi2 with Kodi has died and I'm deciding between buying an RPi3 or an AppleTV.

Any thoughts from anyone who has come from Kodi? Would you go back?

Are you invested in the Apple ecosystem? What was your real purpose for running the Raspberry Pi with Kodi?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well I don't know about Kodi but Apple TV has Plex support.

Edit for more content: if you have any Apple iDevice, the Apple TV is an excellent compliment. As a stand alone streaming box, it makes less sense if you don't have any other Apple products.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't help that it lacked a number of features of the previous Apple TV model that were only patched in later.

I hope that the speech-dictation-for-search-fields functionality in the current tvOS betas gets pushed out in the next official update. We should find out next week after Apple's press event. That'd be the first major new feature introduced since the product launched.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The dictation update is everything I could've hoped for. YouTube is 100% more useful now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

So does the new update only work with Apple branded keyboards, or could I link up my old iPad Air logitech keyboard via bluetooth and use it?

In theory, any bluetooth keyboard should work.

EngineerJoe posted:

Why do all the other platforms get the standard youtube app and AppleTV gets this aborted rat fetus?

I get the feeling that Google put in just enough effort to port their old AppleTV app to tvOS and then called it a day. Aside from a couple of bugfix updates, it hasn't received any significant updates. It doesn't even have that "Top Drawer" thing for when it's in the top row. It's still just a weird static image.

So par for the course for Google apps in iOS.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
First off:
Plex - Yes
Twitch - No but some workarounds exist
Netflix - Yes
WWE - Yes
Google Play - No and likely never

Plex has to update to support the Siri search API. It hasn't yet done that so you can't search your own media (unless you bought them from iTunes or they are available in a streaming service you already subscribe to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even though there's nothing to do with it yet, a jailbreak for tvOS 9.0/9.01 exists. Though it requires a USB-C cable, a Mac, xcode, and a paid apple developer account. So yeah.

How does slideloading work on the AppleTV if a jailbreak didn't exist until now?