Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Good to know. Updated the OP FAQ with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Even comes with Siri search support. Nice.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ah well, I've got to get used to that distinction now.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have to flip back and forth between the Home and Subscription categories a few times on occasion to get it to update.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Mines been fine so far.

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of issues, I'm finding that I have to reboot mine every 48-72 hours or Youtube and Plex get really choppy. Just force-quitting the app doesn't do it, and 100% of the time it's been perfectly fine after reboot. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not but it's somewhat annoying.

I don't have this issue either.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've ditched pay TV and turned my Apple TV into my main media center by way of a HDHomeRun and the tvOS Channels app (cross-posted from the Cable Cutting thread)

I'll preface my situation with the disclaimer that my media needs may not meet anyone else's. It works for what I need it to. What I needed was the broadcast networks for live TV, DVR functionality, plenty of children's content, and a way to watch my own media collection.

My setup is:
-a 4th-Gen Apple TV
-an old antenna in my attic
-a HDHomeRun Connect
-the Channels tvOS app
-a Netflix sub
-the Plex tvOS app

The Channels app can pick up the HDHomeRun's signal and display the broadcast networks. It doesn't have a channel guide, per se, but it will arrange each network you favorite as a separate app/station/channel, show what's currently on each channel, and will advise what's coming up next (and how soon). It also buffers the channel (90 minutes max) your watching so you can mildly timeshift. It doesn't have a true DVR function (yet) but this lets you pause, rewind, and skip ahead.

The developers have really made a first class tvOS app. It's responsive, fast, and uses the most of the platform. It even smartly supports the Top Row function (shows your favorited broadcast networks and what they're currently airing) and makes shaking the remote mute audio (something I didn't even know I missed about using the remote that I now wish was standard). I did sacrifice DVR functionality but the Channels developers are working on a DVR solution (It's not in beta yet so it could be vaporware. But they're actively working on it so hope springs eternal).

Netflix serves up the children's content we needed and Plex handles the local media (substitute and/or add Hulu or Amazon or your streaming service of choice as well as Emby or whatever else is offered to manage local media collections).

As a bonus, if you've got someone with a pay-tv subscription and if you can get them to fork over their credentials, you can access pay-tv content via the cable channel apps from the tvOS app store. If it appeals to you, Food Network even offers live streaming of their network via their app (a couple of others do too) if you've logged in with a pay-tv subscription. And there's always Sling airplayed to the TV if you must have some cable networks.

The total costs were $150 for the Apple TV, $90 for the HDHomeRun Connect, and $25 for the Channels app, all one time costs. Then there's Netflix for $10 a month. So $265 all together. At my previous promo price of $71 a month for Dish, I'll break even in 4 months. But I was already in on the Apple TV and Netflix well before this and the antenna was left in the attic by a previous owner. So I'll make up for it even sooner.

I really wanted an all-in-one solution that revolved around the Apple TV and this is about as close as I can get without descending into home-brew solutions. It's amazing to be able to go from live tv to YouTube to Netflix to Plex to games with a push of one button and a swipe.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Channels guys were supporting the HDHomeRun DVR stuff until recently. Sounded like the HDHR stuff isn't going well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok whatever firmware update I just got wiped all my apps. I had to redone load everything and re-activate all the tv ones. Annoying.

Oh so that's what that was.

I Am Crake posted:

No word on when Siri will be supported outside of the 8 languages that are available now? I feel like I'm missing a pretty big part of the functionality.

Siri is one of those things that is really nice when a use case comes up for it. However, that's pretty limited until they open it up more (to apps like Plex).

Dictation is the big thing I'd miss out on now if I didn't have it. Is dictation language-limited?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's a problem with iOS (which tvOS is based on) generally.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've used it and I can report that it depends on what you are using it for. Are you screencasting just for a mirror/second monitor or are you attempting to stream video to a TV via the AppleTV?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, Apple is fixing the whole cable provider sign on thing with something their calling Single Sign-on. Looks like pretty deep intergration with TV Everywhere (the service that is always asking for your provider info).

Also, Sling is coming and a dark mode in settings.

And something about finding live tv to stream easily. Apps have to work with apple to get in on it but it looked like CBS and Disney (ESPN, Disney networks) are on board.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Single sign on is huge. Way overdue.

One of The Verge's commentators brought up that this is essentially a half-way step towards being their own cable provider. They're storing customer account data which would include all the possible TV packages.

It would only be a matter of negotiating rates for access to apps/live streaming and then putting together their own tiers. They've already got billing information. Picking up a TV sub from Apple would be as easy as signing up for HBO Now via the AppleTV app. Except once you bought your package, you instantly get access to all those apps without doing the whole activation thing for them all.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed the latest update removed the Recently Updates list of apps in the Purchased tab of the App Store.

In case you want to see what changed, you've got to look up the app in the store and scroll down to Version History.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly super curious why they made a new app versus updating the old one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It happened to me. I lost the remote. Thankfully, the new Apple TV Remote app works for everything but the volume control (which is a not-insignificant thing). Apple still officially charges $80 for a standalone remote.

And then we found it in some recess of the couch (like down a hole that is barely a hole). So yeah, I'd love a little locater ringer or something like some Roku remotes have.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Nothing specific on the AppleTV or tvOS. I would think that the next tvOS update would come out the same day as iOS 10 and watchOS 3 (9/13) but you never know.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 7, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not entirely unexpected.

They are selling refurb 4th gen AppleTVs now so if you want a discounted AppleTV, $130 is the entry price now ($20 off) and isn't terribly expensive (relatively. The only product Apple sells that's cheaper is the iPod Shuffle which is still being sold and is only $50).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I updated the OP last week with expected features of tvOS 10 and yeah, single sign on was expected with tvOS 10. Looks like, per CNET, it's been delayed to later this fall. They attribute it to delays in getting either developers on board (since every app that uses the TV Everywhere service will need to be updated to use it) and/or big content (Comcast, Charter, etc) dragging their feet.

We'll probably know more later this week or, if not that soon, by the time of Apple's (likely)next media event in October.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

The remote doesn't have motion controls, just a capacitive touch surface. You can play iPhone-ish games because of this, not like Wii games.

That's incorrect. The remote has accelerometers. What it lacks is pointer recognition.

That said, I think there are one or two games that are Wii Sports like but that's it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I Am Crake posted:

Wait, really? You'd think with two accelerometers half the UI navigation would be flicking, turning and shaking. Glad they showed some restraint. I don't think I've ever been in a scenario where they would have been required though, but I don't really play games on my ATV.

The only app I have that uses a flicking/shaking motion is Channels which uses it to mute the volume.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
FYI - the recently updated tab is back in the App Store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
There is a minor bug fix update out (10.0.1). The only thing I noticed is that it has, again, removed Recently Updated apps from the Purchased screen in the App Store as well as any version history on the app pages.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
No one was expecting much for AppleTV announcements.

Surprise!

Edit: The new TV app for the AppleTV is essentially a superguide. It presents shows to you and when you select one, kicks you over to the app that has that show. Uses the single-sign on feature (they haven't released yet) to easily move between the TV app and the network apps.

The TV app will be coming to other iOS devices too.

Oh and Minecraft is coming to AppleTV for what it's worth.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

All these features sounds great, but who is subscribing to all these streaming services to make it worth it?

That's what excites (and depresses) everyone who can connect the dots.

If Apple can get single sign-on working, then they functionally have a cable package. They'd just then need to get the networks to allow them to sell this single sign-on as a standalone package (this is the depressing part).

Apple will have the framework to create their own Vue/Sling if the networks allow it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That's the jist of Apple's "Live" function. Any apps that allow you to access a live broadcast stream will appear here with, i believe, what their currently showing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I assume we'll learn more once the beta of the next tvOS update goes up on the dev portal.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How the responsiveness of the Vue app? And general design?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is it goony that my biggest beef with the new update is they've made the TV button on the remote drop you into the TV app now instead of back on the Home screen? I know holding down Menu will do the same thing (and did in previous AppleTVs) but I had gotten used to the old new behavior. :sigh:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Done and done then.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My most used apps:

Plex
Channels
Netflix
YouTube
PBS Kids
Food Network
Reuters

I would've likely bought a ton more games if it had come with a discounted game controller ala steelseries.

Edit: and to anyone who heard of it/keeping tabs on it, the possibly-vaporware Channels DVR is likely no longer vaporware and will be in public beta this month. And from the sound of it, it'll be way better than the Plex DVR as it'll utilize the hardware in the ATV in addition to the NAS/Storage unit for playback.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 10, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I mean, it is the AppleTV thread so complaining about it not being cross-platform is kinda mute. I was tempted to post about it in the Cable Cutting thread but that's where your argument would be more valid.

Speaking of the Channels DVR vaporware, it was just released today in Public Beta. Details.

Some high points:
  • $8 monthly subscription
  • Season Passes for shows
  • Team Passes for specific sports teams (I've never heard of this kind of feature before. I don't record sports but it's kinda neat regardless)
  • Join a Recording in progress.
  • Controlled through the AppleTV
  • Requires some kind of always-on computing device (whether actual computer or NAS)
  • Supports PCs/NAS devices running macOS, Linux, QNAP, Synology, WDMyCloud, ReadyNAS, NAS OS, and unRaid. Device also needs at least a 1GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and at least 512MB hard drive.

I'm already in the Plex DVR beta so I'm eager to test it out. Since I do stream all my TV, I'm eager to check out how well the Channels DVR works. Plex works but my NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode on the fly to an AppleTV. I can get around this by optimizing the recording after they're done but it takes an hour or two depending on the length of the program. Channels is using the AppleTV to do most of the processing of the recording (whereas Plex it's all on the storage PC/NAS).

I will post my thoughts once I try it out tonight.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So here's my early impressions of the Channels DVR.

As a whole, the software is much, much more polished than the Plex DVR.

You can schedule recordings from within the app or from the webui. All the features I'd expect from a cable company DVR are present (record just new or all, how many to keep, start and end early, etc). You can schedule recordings from the channel grid or the Search tab (voice dictation makes this super easy). This is one of my major gripes with Plex since they don't have a channel grid and you can only schedule recordings from the web portal. Channels puts it all in the app on the TV so my wife instantly knows how it works.

My other major gripe with Plex's solution is the inability to join a recording already in progress. Last night, I was able to do just that with Channels. It took about 20-30 seconds to start playback but once it started, it played flawlessly. I did notice intermittent issues jumping forward and backwards though. Sometimes it was instantaneous, other times it took around 30 seconds to resume playback. Not sure what's happening there. I've yet to play back a recording that's already completed but I should have results from testing that soon. The DVR also has a built in commercial clipper for completed recordings I've yet to test.

Setting up the software on my NAS wasn't quite as smooth as I thought it would be. Once installed on your PC/NAS, you'll get a prompt on your AppleTV to go to a webui to access the DVR software. It'll make sure you're subscribed and it had some trouble at first syncing up my subscription. But it took less than 5 minutes for the Channels' service to relay my current subscription to my DVR install.

I should note that I'm using a QNAP TS-251 NAS for the DVR software. It more than the required specs but is by no means a CPU powerhouse. It's not even the model QNAP advertises for transcoding media playback (that'd be the TS-251+). Plex's DVR can't playback recordings without optimizing (transcoding) them first. Channels is using some combination of the AppleTV's hardware and my NAS to do the playback (of recordings in progress and completed recordings) and I didn't notice any drop in video quality. I should also note I'm doing this with OTA signals into a HDHomeRun Connect (the non-transcoding HDHR model). This would, presumably, also work for cable if you have the HDHR Prime which you can drop a CableCard into and use as a cable box replacement.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. There's some obvious avenues for improvement. There's no support for the DVR for the iOS version of Channels (an update is promised). I haven't investigated how to get offline copies of the recordings so Plex has an advantage there. Plex also has the advantage of offering other services with their Plex Pass membership whereas Channels just offers the DVR. But Channels' DVR solution is more complete and user friendly than Plex's and if you're heavily invested in the AppleTV ecosystem AND looking for a DVR solution, it's totally worth checking out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for this review. I want to like it, but this and your other point about accessing the files are what I need to see. I got in on Channels early, and I want this to do well too.

To follow up on my earlier review, several updates have been pushed to the DVR software and the tvOS app. There's no issues with playback now. Even joining a recording in progress results in smooth playback now.

Commercial detection is still spotty. It isn't entirely their fault as not all networks identify their commercials the same way but it works.

As to getting at the recordings, there's nothing protecting the directories where the recorded files are kept. They're recorded as .mpg and an hour of HD programming takes up about 7 GB. They won't play on their own on the AppleTV in a program like Plex (unless you have a very beefy server. My little QNAP can't handle it.) without transcoding. But I could copy/move them out to wherever.

Aside from a hiccup where a bad DVR build was pushed out earlier this week, the Channels DVR has been surprisingly solid. There's still very little in the way of documentation yet and the server software could use a few UI revisions. But the devs are super active and responsive. It's been a great experience and my wife is much, much happier with the Channels DVR than with the Plex DVR.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

* Plex can be configured to stream and do an on the fly conversion of live TV from an HDHomeRun, which doesn't make any apps for iOS. So it essentially acts as a sling box where I'm watching my local TV channels while on the other side of the country.

* Plex is also building a DVR element, but it hasn't been developed long enough yet for my use.

Just FYI - Channels is an iOS (and tvOS) app that'll process HDHomeRun signals. The tvOS app has an extremely well put-together DVR element that will be coming to the iOS app in the near future.

For the record, I like Infuse but I'd love an easier setup to make it look and work great. Like Plex looks like a mature solution to media playback whereas Infuse doesn't right away.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Only AppleTV news out of WWDC today was Amazon Prime Video is confirmed. Only "later this year" confirmed for timing.

Edit: VVVVV That was my first thought too.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 5, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'd give my left leg for a remote locator function for the Siri Remote.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Someone in another Apple thread mentioned Vudu is likely coming at the same time.

It makes me curious if there's something specific about the upcoming tvOS 11 update or the (probable) 4k Apple TV that satisfied the longtime concerns of these services.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It'd be nice for at least knowing the quality of the display you're buying.

Apple's dedicated displays have always been top tier (when in production. RIP Cinema Display)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's like what the article said: where's the slightly unserved market that Apple could identify and sell units to with an Apple branded TV?

What does the actual Apple branded TV set bring to the table that isn't served by a typical TV with an AppleTV plugged in? That one TV with Roku built in isn't exactly getting people lining up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It'll be funny if the networks get curb stomped due to being outspent by tech companies on content because they refused to play ball at the very beginning.