Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've jumped between DirecTV Now, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and YouTube TV, and here's what I like most about YouTube TV:

-More sports selection
-Unlimited cloud DVR
-Easy to share a membership with friends/family
-Interface seemed better than the others

We split our membership 4 ways (you can have 3 concurrent streams going at once), but it has to be with local friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Just the sortable/customizable sorta old school guide (and with the cool preview activity on the ATV4k) on YTTV sold it for me.

Yeah, it's nice being able to put all the garbage channels at the very bottom of the guide and organize channels by subject.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

People ask me all the time what streaming box I use because of the screensavers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

New remote is good. I just wish certain apps I use would respect the back button more and not exit the entire app.

This usually happens when you've gone far as far "back" as possible, yes? Not the worst thing from a usability perspective, but I've definitely accidentally exited an app when I didn't mean to. I haven't really noticed - do all apps do this?

I personally love the new remote, and I'm excited for every app to add clickwheel scrolling, even though swiping works well enough for me for scrubbing through a video. As much as a real directional pad was needed, I do find myself using the swiping gestures a lot with the new remote. I'll probably buy another for the older Apple TV 4K that's going in the bedroom.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What cameras do you guys user with HomeKit? I looked and it seemed like Logitech was the only truly integrated option but its reviews seemed so so.

So I have a Raspberry Pi running Homebridge, and have my Ring integrated through that - if somebody approaches the front door, a live preview pops up on our Apple TVs. The hacked integration isn't the best - live previews within HomeKit don't work very well, but I like the front door preview on my Apple TV a lot.

For cameras that are a little better integrated with Homekit, I'd recommend....

Aqara G2H Pro - $60, includes HomeKit Secure Video w/ pet, person, and thing detection. No other associated costs. Also acts as a Zigbee hub, so you can buy Aqara sensors and connect them to the camera to work within HomeKit. I love these things - I have window/door sensors on every window, and I have the AC turn off whenever a window gets opened. I also have them set to send me notifications when nobody is home and one gets triggered. I also have some motion sensors, smart plugs, buttons, etc.

Aqara G3 Camera - $100, Same/better features as the G2H, includes pant and tilt functionality, 2K video quality.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have one Eufy cam for a baby monitor (no hub). If you add it to HomeKit, it disables a lot of the cool features like motion tracking and crying detection (what I use it for) for some weird reason. Those things will be grayed out even in the Eufy app. It's super weird. It's the only reason I don't put it into HomeKit. No clue if the same thing happens with a hub.

That's one of the issues with HomeKit - these cameras have enough power or aren't designed to allow concurrent live streaming across both HomeKit and the camera company's services. If you buy an Aqara or Eufy camera with 2K video support, for example, HSV doesn't support it since it caps out at 1080p, and you can't use both HSV and the camera company's app/service to take advantage of features not offered within HomeKit. I think some Netatmo cameras are the only ones that can do it.

Thread/Matter IoT products can't come soon enough. Having a mish-mash of smarthome products can't interact with each other on one sole platform is really annoying.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 23, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

teagone posted:

In what way? I've never noticed any difference when I wanted to throw something from my iPhone to the Apple TV in my den compared to when I cast stuff to the Roku TV in my living room.

I’m guessing he wants true handoff where he can watch/listen to something else on his phone while casting other media to his TV.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are we sure the 2021 AppleTV doesn't support HDR10+? It was supposedly added in tvOS 16:

https://9to5mac.com/2022/06/07/tvos-16-new-features/

Edit: Fancy Sony and LG TVs don't even support HDR10+.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 19, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just wish they'd let users output lossless audio codecs with Atmos - the Nvidia Shield is a little better at properly handling newer more fancypants audio formats. I'd upgrade my Apple TV 4K x2 in a heartbeat if they added it. Instead, I have to stream movies over Disney+ and HBO Max if I want proper Dolby Vision + Atmos.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

jokes posted:

Netflix, weirdly, won't connect to that service and it's jarringly frustrating. It's almost the best way to search the various streaming services to see if a movie is available.

Also frustrating: it refuses to believe that I own all of the Office, and instead insists that it's available only on Peacock.

We dumped Netflix early last year, ended up getting my sister's login so we could easily have access to the entire catalog (I'm a Plex user), and quickly realized they don't include their results in AppleTV's unified search. Their content also isn't included in the "Up Next" section within the AppleTV app.

Netflix sucks.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's just a bad user experience overall - if we want to find a specific movie or tv show, we don't care where we stream it from, we just want the results to surface with the cheapest/easiest way to watch it. We don't want to have to search the web first to figure out where.

HBO Max/Disney+/Hulu are happily surfacing results in the hopes that we choose their app to watch the content, Netflix thinks we love Netflix so much that we'll go to their app specifically to search for something. Maybe we're a niche-case who has way too many streaming apps, but omitting their results just means we're incentivized to prefer another app's catalog.

Fortunately for us, Netflix's catalog continues to go down the shitter and they cancel every good show we've ever watched on the platform.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 12, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

smackfu posted:

The funny thing is when you hear about a movie and search on Apple TV and it tells you it is only available through iTunes Store and then it turns out it is on Netflix. Emily the Criminal was a recent example.

Yep, it just hurts Netflix - many users will just end up paying, or forgo watching the content altogether unless they happen to stumble upon it while exploring the Netflix app. Apple would prefer if Netflix just opted into Siri/TV+ app so their media would be "prioritized" over Apple's own paid store!

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 13, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kliras posted:

the jellyfin tvos app is finally available in the app store btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKF5GtBIxpM

i tried it out, but it failed to detect a bunch of stuff, so i'm going to let someone else mess around with it for a bit first

I think Infuse is a slightly better solution on Apple TV for those hosting a Jellyfin server. It does cost $10 a year, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

American McGay posted:

What benefit does it have over Plex? I never really had any issues with Plex.

Handles media files with HDR/DoVi/Atmos a little bit better. If your TV/AV system doesn't support them or you don't have any media with that sort of content, it probably isn't worth using. What's cool about Infuse is it also supports other media server clients like Jellyfin and Emby or even directly from your NAS so you don't have to rely on a third party or Internet to watch local media.

That's also one of the compelling use-cases for using Jellyfin over Plex, even if Jellyfin isn't quite ready for primetime - if you have a ton of Dolby Vision content or AMD hardware, Jellyfin can properly transcode Dolby Vision media to non-HDR devices using AMD hardware acceleration, which Plex hasn't implemented, and likely won't due to licensing issues as a paid app (per their support forums) - my friend's parents have a Samsung TV, and every once in a while they'll try to stream something and tell me the colors look all trippy because Samsung refuses to pay for Dolby licensing.

Dolby Vision, HDR, and Atmos content are only going to get more and more prevalent, and I'll always choose to archive my media at the highest quality possible - plus I have an Atmos compatible sound system and Dolby Vision capable TV. It's not a problem right now, because I've got an old GTX 1060 doing my transcoding, but I'll eventually want to upgrade to something with AV1 encoding/decoding, and I certainly won't let Plex force me into buying an overpriced Nvidia card instead of possibly buying something from AMD or even Intel.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 1, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The AppleTV is the only box that doesn’t feel like it’s designed to just throw advertisements in your face on every page. Just remember to set your home button to return to the Home Screen and not the TV app, and put apps at the top that actually utilize the “continue watching” space (like the TV app, Disney+, etc).

I just wish they’d allow apps to output TrueHD in some way. The only box that does that is a Shield Pro, which is 5 years old, $200, and has Google TV’s ad-ridden interface (ironically enough, the YouTube TV app for iOS is better, too)

You can de-crapify Rokus and Google TVs, buts it’s a hassle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for the responses goons.

How so, UI fluidity or what? Responsiveness?

Does the Apple TV remote allow you to control the volume on a soundbar?

The Apple TV's UI is very simple and isn't cluttered with ads.

It's more fluid than the Google TVs/Rokus/Amazon boxes I've used, and many app developers prioritize the tvOS app experience over other platforms.

Almost every streaming box nowadays has ARC/eARC functionality to control external soundbars via remote. The latest Apple TV supports HDMI 2.1 as well.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

kri kri posted:

Just like Siri and HomeKit, it doesn’t seem like apple actually uses this stuff.

Homekit is great if you don't want to juggle a million apps and give them access to your location for location-based automations. I'm one of those weirdos who isn't interested in giving companies like Google and Amazon (Too comfortable giving up user's information without a warrant) access to my location.

I thought the iOS 16 refresh was decent, and I'm glad they're finally adding an activity log - once Matter support shakes out (lol in a few years), things should get a lot easier to automate regardless of who made the hardware.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My favorite YouTube TV bug is when the timeline playback cursor jumps forward/backwards after you've decided on which spot you actually want to play.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The only apps you can’t really find on tvOS are sideloaded apps with the ads blocked for YouTube and such.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FYI: I got cheaper Youtube Premium by VPNing into the Ukraine and signing up there for $4 a month as a family. Well worth it to not have to dick around with adblockers/extensions with YouTube cracking down.

India, Turkey, Argentina wouldn't work with a Privacy.com card.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Can you pay by the year?

Nope

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really like having access to the aTV's remote in control center, as well as getting notifications for entering text on my iPhone. Plus using it as a HomeKit hub so my Hue lights and Ecobee can be accessed from the control center even when I'm not at home.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Some people want an actual remote with an interface that isn’t dependent on a smart phone and doesn’t display ads or design their interface to showcase specific services.

The apple tv’s OS Home Screen is really clean, it’s easy to jump back into media you’ve already started watching, and the integration with iOS makes the extra cost worth it. We got ours 5+ years ago and appreciate the snappiness and even ended up buying another so we’d have one in the bedroom. Our TV’s interface is Google TV, and we travel with a Roku stick, so I’m familiar with the other devices, and they’re not nearly as snappy and ad-free as the Apple TVs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Most annoying pet peeve about the Apple TV:

I'm setup using the recommended "4K SDR 60Hz - Match Frame Rate ON - Match Dynamic Range - ON" settings.

Whenever I watch any movie, there's a dropout on the TV when it has to switch from 60Hz to 24Hz. If the movie happens to be in DolbyVision or HDR, the dropout is longer because it also switches the picture mode to DV or HDR.

That's fine. It would be nice if it happened faster, but I can live with it.

The annoying part is when I pause the movie and go to the bathroom or something, and the TV switches to screensaver. Because the screensavers are in 60Hz SDR, it has to switch the TV back over to that to play the screensavers, and then back AGAIN when I want to unpause the movie.

Technically, this is the Apple TV working as I set it to. It's changing the frame rate and dynamic range to that of the screensavers. But I wish there was an option to tell it to ignore that setting for screensavers. I don't care if the screensaver that's on while my movie is paused is color-mapped and playing back juddery because it's at 24Hz.

Behold, the MOST First World Problem!

I believe the latest AppleTV support Quick Media Switching for faster transition between framerates. Your TV would need to support it, too, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

VPN to the Ukraine and sign up for YouTube premium for $4 a month for a family. Invite your friends to the premium account and you’ll be everybody’s favorite person. Charge them if you must.