Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is the ability to shut off your TV via HDMI new in ATV4, or has it been around all along?

My current ATV3 definitely does not shut off my TV when it sleeps, so I'm wondering if I should expect the new one to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Lol Hulu I guess you decided to bury my queue

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

mulls posted:

New complaint: I cannot figure out how to get to my queue in the Hulu app
Scroll down, way down. Then over.

Just where you'd expect it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Cross posting from the TV thread, but I want to get a new Vizio 50" and it's clear it supports controlling of OTHER devices via CEC, but doesn't say whether IT can be controlled by a CEC device. Anyone know how to tell? I'd like to make sure I get a TV that the Apple TV can turn on and off.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Out of nowhere, my ATV4 won't play video from any streaming service. It will go through all the menus and splash screens fine, but once I start to play, all I get is audio.

Showtime gave me an HDMI error, but not sure where all this is coming from.

I've tried restarting the TV and ATV, and unplugging and replugging and trying different HDMI ports. Anything else to check?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
God Hulu is pissing me off.

It seems like anything I want to do is several clicks and swipes away. I hope they have an update coming.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
From home screen:
  1. Swipe to Hulu
  2. Click to launch into Hulu
  3. Swipe down to get off the carousel of previews to the named categories
  4. Swipe right 8 times (...past "British", "Anime" and "Korean Drama")
  5. Click Queue
  6. Swipe around until you find the show you want to watch in your queue (don't worry about, knowing which show is newest or how many episodes there are to watch)
  7. Click the show
  8. Swipe around until you get to the episode you want. (We'll give you titles and a screen capture, but not tell you which is oldest.)
  9. Click the episode you want
  10. Click Play one last time

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Hulu App:

Almost every time I pause a show and shut my TV off and come back later, I come back to a frozen blurry picture. Only thing I can figure out to get it back is to reboot the ATV.

Does this happen to anyone else and there is a quicker way to fix it?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Ars has a breakdown on running emulators through the new Apple TV.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/12/using-the-new-apple-tv-to-emulate-classic-game-consoles/

If anyone does this please post up how well it works, I would consider upgrading at some point if I can start getting more apps than my ATV3.
This works well enough that I'm going to buy the controller for it so I can play NES Mario

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any way to force a refresh of updates to my subscriptions in the YouTube app? Right now I'm force quitting and reopening the app so that it refreshes every morning.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I also ordered the larger size ATV under the "buy the most storage space you can" theory. Delivers between Oct 6-Oct 13 but I'm gonna hit the store next week to see if I can just get one in person.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Will ATV be in stores today?

I’m considering rolling the dice and walking into the Apple Store to try and pick one up. But not if the actual release day is not today...

Can someone confirm?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Apple's website tells me the AppleTV 4k is available for purchase today at every Apple StoreTown Square in my area.
I was able to walk in and buy the last AppleTV 4K they had. Time to cancel my order.....

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a listing of which Apple TV apps support 4K?

I’m particularly interest in YouTube, Hulu and Netflix

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

YouTube does not, I know that much.
Yeah. I hope there is some fanfare when those apps get updated so I can check them out. Right now I just have rent movies to actually get 4K content....

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm using a really old cable. Is there a test I can run to make sure it has enough bandwidth?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone know if Hulu, Netflix or YouTube are 4K yet?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is there a list of 4K apps?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Still no 4K streaming though

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Nm

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 3, 2018

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I got a new 55” TV that supports 4K HDTV / Dolby Vision and around the same time I started watching Ozark on Netflix.

I notice a ton of artifact when watching it. Is it just the show? Or is it Netflix? Or some setting I have wrong?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of artifact? Stuttering? Blocking?
Blocking, mostly in the dark part of the screen.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

fivehead posted:

Is your match source material setting turned on? HDR should mitigate some degree of black blockiness
Do you mean “Match Dynamic Range” or “Match Frame Rate” or both?

Either way, both of mine are set to “off”... should I turn them on?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Set your Apple TV to 4K SDR and set both of those options on.
OK, it’s currently set to 4K Dolby Vision @ 60hz, so you’re recommending I drop that down to 4K SDR?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
How do I play audio to my HomePod from my AppleTV in the YouTube app? Since they have a non-standard UI, it feels like it’s not possible.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have this issue? I think it’s new for me...

I used to be able to pause a YouTube video and eventually it’d go to screensaver, and then eventually sleep, and then my TV would eventually shut off.

This works as expected if I am on the YouTube home screen, but not if I am still paused in a video.

Anyone else experience this? I’ve only realized when I wake up in the morning and my TV is still on and the video is still paused on screen.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

YouTube sometimes breaks and I have to reinstall it. Is this an known issue for Apple TV 4Ks?
I have to force quit the app and sometimes power cycle the ATV but I’ve not had to uninstall and reinstall the app.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Big rumor about tomorrow..

https://twitter.com/L0vetodream/status/1335983581324169216

Apple may announce a sixth-gen AppleTV tomorrow, likely A12X or A14 based

There are reports that Apple is telling their support staff to get ready to support a new product tomorrow too
Will buy new ATV in a heartbeat if true.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just have minor hiccups that cause me to have to power-cycle it and/or my TV and I’m hoping a new version has fewer of those.

And the remote gets wonky sometimes

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Ordered the new Siri Remote and had a delivery date of June that moved up to next week.

Walked into Da Fruit Stand today and picked one up. Can’t wait to try it when I get home!

Posted as a reminder that if you need something the day it comes out, check store inventory the morning of and you may not have to wait!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone have any experience with cleaning out a Siri Remote (silver with power button)?

*Someone* might have spilled a drink on the remote and now the volume button is constantly stuck on volume down. I tried putting a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton swap to see if it would get in but it looks real tight.

Or am I just out $60?

Edit: I found an iFixit guide and was able to pop the button off. Unfortunately the glitch is somewhere else so I gave up.

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I had the same thing happen and cleaning it only partially worked but as a last ditch effort I did a complete remote restart and that, for some reason, resolved my issues completely. Worth a shot.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/restart-siri-remote-apple-tv-remote/
Genius, this worked! Thanks!

Maybe *someone* didn’t spill whiskey on it…