Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Setup felt really disjointed. Had to hunt for the option to map volume control buttons, disable cec, etc.

Hope this is just a first pass at the ui because I've got some concerns.

Also no voice search in YouTube yet. Reeeeeally hope that gets added soon.

So what is available to Canadians on the new AppleTV? I always kind of wanted an AppleTV but was always put off by the lack of content available to :canada:.

From what I can gather from the Plex thread, it's like TVersity but with a much nicer interface. Also plugins? This might be getting into :filez: territory, is there something like popcorntime for it? Plex, not AppleTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

As a non-AppleTV owner, who doesn't own a 4K TV (no plans to buy one) and who's eye-ing the refurb A-TV, is there any reason to get the new Apple TV?

I don't think they're going to turn it into a new gaming platform with NOT-Journey, so I'm okay with a 32GB Previous-Gen ATV right?

EDIT: Or, I own a PS4, is this a waste of money?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dumb question o clock but maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way...

I want to stream :filez: from my PC to my AppleTV.

Previously, I'd been using Universal Media Server on my PC to stream to my PS4, but I'd like to use the fancy new AppleTV in place of the PS4.

I'm using Infuse on my AppleTV. It sees UMS just fine, lets me save folders. Everything is good, media is playing.

So far, so good.

I shut everything down for the night. Start everything up again a day later, Infuse sees the server but now shows "Empty folders". If I delete the favorite folders and set it up again, everything works again but once again, if I stop and start the UMS, I get empty folders again.

I get that I'm not really using UMS "as intended" as I really only start the server when I want to watch something, stopping it when I'm done. This isn't a dedicated server.

I don't have this problem with my PS4, but I'd really like to use the AppleTV for movie/TV watching because the interface is so much nicer.

Any ideas? Is there a better application for my AppleTV or PC to do this?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Plex

E: you can even use Infuse as a client.

MarcusSA posted:

You beat me to it.

Use plex.

I'd always written Plex off as something I had to run on a dedicated server, but it looks like it suits my needs perfectly!

Thanks! :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there a way to price track the apps on the AppleTV app store?

I'd like to get the Jackbox games on my AppleTV but I ain't paying full price when they were practically free on the PC a few weeks back.

EDIT: Or Steam could just finally launch that embattled Steamlink app without a store attached. That'd solve my problem too.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

This new AppleTV app seems kinda pointless in Canada :canada:.

I guess it can tell me what's on Crave and then load Crave? But why wouldn't I just load the Crave app instead? AppleTV.app just adds an extra unnecessary step.

Unless the behaviour from the Crave.app is unintended, which would not surprise me in the slightest. They haven't even gotten around to making a PS4 app for crying out loud.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

priznat posted:

Does Crave air the HBO shows at about the same time as they show on cable? That was the biggest annoyance with stuff like itunes for hbo shows before..

Yeah, you can watched the live-stream of HBO so in the case of Game of Thrones you can watch live at 6PM PST and then when its done airing the episode goes up for streaming.

The Crave app on AppleTV isn't bad, its definitely better than it was. That said, I can already see the elements of a darker future getting put in place: A few weeks back they took all the STARZ content and put that behind its own paywall. So now if you want everything Crave has to offer, you're paying for Crave + HBO paywall + Starz paywall. Following what I'm sure is a huge uptick in subs with the HBO bundle, Crave might just be testing the water with Starz (I'd only watch it for Counterpart and it got cancelled anyways). I sure hope they don't start locking each channel's content behind individual paywalls.

I got it just for HBO stuff, so far its been pretty good. :shrug:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hey, steamlink is available on AppleTV now. IOS too.

Not sure I want to run and buy a new controller but it’s neat to have hardware more powerful than a traditional steamlink.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just bought my Mom an AppleTV (from Apple) and I'm pretty sure its a dud? I just want to check to make sure there isn't something I missed:

When I power it on, it works fine, I get video. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the power light comes on but I get no video (the TV says no signal). It takes a reset or unplugging the AppleTV to get video back.

I've tried multiple HDMI cables, different TV's and reinstalled the OS by plugging in via USB-C to iTunes...no improvement.

Any other brilliant ideas or should I just contact Apple to see if I can swap it out?

Normally I'd go back to the store right away but the nearest Apple store is over 1 hour away.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Snuffman posted:

When I power it on, it works fine, I get video. When I put it to sleep and then wake it up, the power light comes on but I get no video (the TV says no signal). It takes a reset or unplugging the AppleTV to get video back.

Subjunctive posted:

my 4K started to do that recently and I'm way out of warranty so welp

:siren: Fixed it! :siren:

Something went loopy with the resolution settings with the first TV I plugged it into (a really old and very cheap off-brand LCD TV) and the resolution setting just....stuck. I guess when it was waking up it was trying to push out a resolution that the TV couldn't see? Probably 4K, there's no 4K TV's in the house.

Menu + Volume down forced the resolution to set again, and its worked flawlessly ever since.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Also for SteamLink (is that out for the aTV yet?)

It sure is and I am hyped to see how well it works with the PS4 dualshock.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm digging Steamlink.app with my PS4 controller, seems like a nice replacement for a Steamlink.

This might be a better question for the Steam thread, I've always preferred xbox360 controllers but they won't work with AppleTV. Xbox One controllers seem to have a lot of complaints about build quality and I'm curious if that's really the case or just vocal one-stars on Amazon. My 360 controller I use(d) with my PC and Steamlink is still going strong after over 7 years of use, but I obviously can't use it with the AppleTV.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just noticed 14.5 changed the controller icon in the iOS/PadOS control panel to the new style.

No new functionality but its a cute touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to get Vinegar for YouTube on an ATV?

Vinegar is a Safari extension, so sadly no.

As far as I know the only way to block in-app ads is at the network level with a Pi-hole.