Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone actually like the OS update?

Not sure it’s helped anything for me, the new lady hand bar contains some random poo poo like MLS soccer that I’ve never once watched.

Apart from anything else, it hasn’t fixed the recent problem for me of shows I’ve watched in full on the Apple TV (both appletv+ & 3rd party) remaining in my up next list, shown as partially watched.

I think there’s also an extra step to switch profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Really you have to blame Apple for the lack of take up.

They could easily sell it for $50 less, have a much bigger marketshare and easily make it back from network effects, but they refuse to drop their profit margin on a hardware dongle that’s solely useful for accessing paid content via their interface, via their App Store apps, which they get a cut of.

Where is the 1080p version for $50 or $75?

They’re the biggest company in the world, with insane amounts of cash sitting around and they’re just hurting themselves by being greedy on stuff that should obviously be a loss leader.

Same with the HomePods, they’re better when you have a stereo pair, they’re better when you have one in every room, and their voice recognition will get better the more users they have.

But they’ve stuck to inflated prices for years with no change. Their marketshare in computer tube speakers is bad and they’re far from being the market leader in voice recognition or features.

They should not be positioning at a 3x price premium (vs. Amazon) when they’re coming from behind in all respects.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

American McGay posted:

It's 3x more expensive because it's 3x better. hth :tipshat:

It’s that much better than the worst, cheapest usb sticks maybe. But it’s 6 -8x more expensive than those.

It doesn’t really matter, it’s not selling to nearly enough people to get the network effect they need to ‘win’, so they’re failing.

They’re completing with Netflix, in a world where half of all new TVs come with a Netflix button on the remote.

Mahoning posted:

At the very least the purchase of a new Apple TV should come with a like one year subscription to AppleTV+

Yeah, they give out free subscriptions a lot, but stupidly they bundle(d) it with iPhones & with mobile phone contracts rather than the obvious thing that it’s used on.

I’ve had it for free for 2 years due to a phone purchase, a warranty replacement, and a new mobile network.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I would love prices to be cheaper too, but their analytics undoubtedly says they can’t put themselves forward as a luxury brand if they don’t charge luxury prices.

How much is the Shield? That’s the only direct competition for what the ATV does and I’m sure it’s around $150.

Eh? Isn’t literally every streaming device including smart TVs a direct competitor?

Every chromecast lets you cast to it from android / chrome, which is similar enough to AirPlay.

Are you thinking the games stuff is important?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kri kri posted:

Apple has a standards but apparently is not required. The answer is lazy devs.

It’s not laziness, and I doubt it’s the devs fault as it’s extra work. It’s companies wanting to be different and special and apply their product designer’s lovely UI design instead of using the built in standard controls.

They’re all much worse, but thankfully not as bad as the Apple TV customised video controls in a bunch of apps, mainly discovery plus (and formerly GCN). A multi hour sports event, starting with an hour of pre event build up, and ending hours later.

No way to scrub, just fast forward controls that take literally an hour realtime to get to the point an hour from the end where you want to start watching.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

smackfu posted:

I suspect Apple wants you to serve all your video data in a specific way to get all the standard controls to work properly and big companies aren’t going to do that.

Doesn’t check out, you get it for free with any video that plays in the Safari browser, so you can just make a web view and it’ll be fine.

YouTube app on iOS = poo poo scrubber.
YouTube mobile web via Brave browser (with ad blocking) on iOS = standard video controls as soon as you fullscreen.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Minidust posted:

"Hey Siri fast forward two and a half hours." Of course support for this varies by app (:argh:), but for anything with the native TVOS controls (which I believe Discovery+ uses) I think it's baked in.

You’re 100% right, that does work perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

FCKGW posted:

It has both, the remote can learn IR codes and sent signals to things like soundbars and older TVs without CEC .

My remote crashed / went mad and was randomly firing infra red to mute and unmute my TV a while back.

I don’t use the TV built in sound, so it was just the mute symbol flashing on and off.

Took me quite a while to debug and work out that the Apple TV remote even had an IR blaster. Fixed by reseting the remote.