Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not sure I like the new plex UI matching the Atv UI. Filter unwatched shows doesn't give the option to then sort. Like sort by last aired. At least not that I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

dexter6 posted:

God Hulu is pissing me off.

It seems like anything I want to do is several clicks and swipes away. I hope they have an update coming.

You've been able to login to Hulu? Every time I say I'm a registered user it just sits there

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Specifically opening Facebook kills the AirPlay since fb wants to be able to AirPlay its autoplaying videos.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any TV apps that will stream a Thanksgiving Parade?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to do this with a PC or am I just out of luck?

Check for a hackintosh thread on these forums.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

At that point it's just cheaper to plop the emulator and games on a cheap HTPC and pair an Xbox 360 controller or w/e.

You can run the hackintosh in a virtual machine thus incurring no expense. It still may not be worth the time. But it's what I meant. :)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

flosofl posted:

Amazon can sell all the poo poo they want, but if they use the IAP they need to pay the Apple Tax. Tough poo poo and there's a way around it. The same way you "get around it" in iOS. Use a loving web-browser. I have had no problems purchasing the very few digital media items I have from them using safari.

TVOS doesn't have a webbrowser/WebView...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Came to post this version of same 'rumor' https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/05/apple-and-amazon-finally-bury-the-tv-hatchet/#75d1385274ce

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mahoning posted:

I mean, does iTunes even have movies in 4K? Would anything beyond Netflix and maybe YouTube even utilize 4K even if it was capable? I know early adopters harp on poo poo like 4K but I honestly can't name a single person I know with a 4K capable tv. Not saying they aren't out there but I'd love to see numbers on what the adoption rate really is for 4K.

It definitely would've been a good future-proofing move to include it but I don't think it's as big a deal as people have made it out to be.

I have a bunch of plex content in 4K.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

[quote="“Empress Brosephine”" post="“474193879”"]
Netflix and Amazon are the big ones. Hulu does also right?
[/quote]

Of course Amazon isn’t available for the AppleTV yet. But that’s why we’re now talking around in circles. The current thinking is that Amazon will be a launch title on a 5th gen that supports 4K.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm getting so fed up with the big 3 tech companies. It's almost December and still no Prime Video or Youtube TV app on Apple TV.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

choobs posted:

On iOS, you can open up a browser and go to Amazon.com and buy or rent content to be watched on the app later without Amazon having to fork over a percentage to Apple. Apple TVs don't have a browser, so they don't have an easy way to bypass Apple's commission. It's lame, but that's the root of the problem as far as I can tell. I thought when Apple announced Amazon Video would be coming to the ATV I figured they'd made some deal or another to make it happen, but it's been six months now and I haven't heard anything about why it's delayed.

"technically" it's not yet delayed. It was announced by years end and there's 2 weeks left before the iTunes shutdown.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Zero One posted:

I have it. Never saw it vanish. HDMI cables shouldn't make a difference as long as they are the latest standard. My issue is that my TV supports HDR but not 444 just 422. My cables and receiver could go higher if I had a newer TV.

I did have a cable issue when I first got my 4k. Cable worked fine with 4th gen but when I upgraded it would lose video for ~20 seconds every 15 minutes or so as it did some kind of handshake dance. Went to Monoprice and for like 4 buxs each got... Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps and never saw it drop video again. I just threw the other cable away since for $4 why not?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, wireless networks are half-duplex. Additionally each client that's actively communicating is also vying for attention on the network.

I really wouldn't even attempt SteamLink with anything less than 802.11ac. With 2x2 arrays on both the AP and clients, you have a theoretical ceiling of about 880Mb/s.

That was one reason why I upgraded to the Apple TV 4k. Gig-E port in the back.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Lol if you don’t hardwire your Apple TV

It seems there was some huge trend for about 10 years for WiFi everything, and now we’re like, poo poo, even a strong connection can still have a bad signal or interference

At least powerline adapter it. Though I hear those can be inconsistent as well depending on the wiring in your home

That’s what a gig e port is for... hardwiring it. The Pre 4K 4th gen only had a 10/100 in the back and Wifi was frequently faster even with half duplex.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

It does (or at least it used to). Did they stop that?

e: god drat, they did.

There was a bundle with music, never one with tv and red.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It is true, it’s just hard because it’s really well executed on Apple’s part:

iCloud storage: people hate losing their info, so $1-3 a month is worth it

Apple Music: $10-15 steaming is replacing purchasing music for most people. I buy some vinyl, but honestly Apple Music is still worth it because I can’t exactly play vinyl in my car (yes they usually come with a digital copy, but it’s super convenient).

Apple Arcade: surprising to me that people like it, but if it’s executed well it’s especially cheap for families. I can see this being super popular for parents

Apple News: this one boggles me a bit as well, but people are overwhelmed with news options, so a service like it will become more and more popular.

Apple TV: definitely the most sparse, but as they said, free for a year.

I’ve been paying for Apple Music and iCloud storage for years , for sure those two are a good value.

The flip side is that they made it better. iCloud storage used to not be family account and now it is. So we went from having 2 accounts to just one of them.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

So VP9 decoding is finally here. I have some stuff sourced from YouTube that wouldn’t play for poo poo before in plex that now runs nice and smooth. YouTube app itself hasn’t updated for me so I guess it’s not something automatic. Also I have a VP9 file that claims to be direct playing but looks to run about 12fps so something isn’t 100% yet.

Now just add bitstreamed audio so we can tell shield owners to eat poo poo.

Is that on the retail release and not some developer preview? I thought it wasn't coming till TvOS 14.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's insane they haven't done some Airtag-like location with the remote. Having kids, I have to use my phone 99% of the time because they lose that poo poo all the time, and I find it in a bedroom 2 weeks later, all while I keep getting "remote battery is getting low!!" notifications when I watch anything.

I had a friend 3d print me a case for the remote that includes a slot for an airtag that I found online.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Xabi posted:

Why would you want to download YouTube videos to your Apple TV? Genuinely curious.

I download youtube videos and then watch them on my apple tv (not exactly the same thing you asked but...) Because Youtube's concept of play lists and played videos suck. I download whole channels including their playlist into plex, and then watch them with Infuse on iPad and AppleTV. Mostly these are tutorial and classroom type videos where I want all of the ones I haven't seen to be seen in order, and if I decide I don't like a particular lesson, I just mark the entire playlist played.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

priznat posted:

Are there radarr/sonarr type apps for this? I would like to give this a try, it would be great to just pull my subscriptions into a nas automatically and then clear them out after watching.

There’s some web front ends for YouTube-dl but I do it myself through some scripts that call yt-dip. Like if I want the Joe Smith channel but he links a video by John Brown I don’t want his stuff. But yes it basically just runs yt-Dlp and then some Plex api python scripts in a cron job and each morning the playlists are updated.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I have a 2017 Apple TV 4k, and really want true 4k on youtube. Should I get the 2022 4k or should I wait that there's going to be a new Apple tv in the next 9 months or so? (Call it now through end of Q1 2024?)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have the original 4K too, the 4K YT feed on it is different to later models?

It's capped at 1440p for 60fps, while the 2022 can do VP9 on the chip and get true 4k and 60. When I double checked by going through all of the 4k test media I could find almost everything was saying 1080p and just a few were saying 1440p. This is with me setting to 4k@60 SDR and match range.

EDIT: Take all this with a grain of salt and a disclaimer of, "This is what I understand from watching some tutorials, reading some reddit, and trying to see why it doesn't look as great as some natural 4k content."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah interesting, nice to know there’s something else on the list of improvements. I’ve still stuck with the original because it’s hung in so well, but the battery in the remote is pretty beat up these days so it’s only a matter of time til I replace it. Thanks.

Trip report: 2022 Apple TV with Ethernet purchased and plugged in, took less than 5 minutes to update/sign in/get youtube, plex, disney+, netflix, and amazon installed and logged in. Youtube now showing in 2160p@60 with Dolby Vision.

I am now one with the many who hate that they put the mute button where the pause button was in the old remote.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Trip report: 2022 Apple TV with Ethernet purchased and plugged in, took less than 5 minutes to update/sign in/get youtube, plex, disney+, netflix, and amazon installed and logged in. Youtube now showing in 2160p@60 with Dolby Vision.

I am now one with the many who hate that they put the mute button where the pause button was in the old remote.

Oh and youtube content starts to instantly playing, instead of black screen, let me think about it, ok now i'll play but it'll still be black screen, ok 4 seconds in we're finally good and in sync! That QOL alone is worth it and where I started looking into the resolution to begin with.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s a bug introduced when they decided to change videomodes for the ads before/during videos, it constantly throws my receiver or TV out of range until it works it out and very much a Google issue they just haven’t bothered to fix.

Upgrading the hardware made it go away, and it's a youtube premium account so not ads. I know it's a google / apple VP9 issue and am just happy it's gone.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

astral posted:

Is it that surprising that your new hardware has different framerate, framerate matching, hdr/sdr setting, or content range matching settings? Make the settings on your old one match the new one and it would be "fixed" there too.

The only new hardware is the 2022 AppleTV vs 2017.

Originally:
2017 - Dolby Vision, Match framerate, match content range - 2-4 second pause at start of youtube videos regardless of range as far as I can tell.
Then 4k SDR@60 no match framerate, do match range - same pause
2022 - Dolby Vision, Match Framerate, Match Content range - Content plays instantly. - Sample size 5-6 videos since it's ~24 hours old at this point.

I was looking for the right menu on the LG Panel to confirm what was actually going on but the few quick google seraches was for a different model year.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nah, I have two accounts on my 2017 box - one with premium and one without. The premium isn’t affected at all, the regular has it constantly. Google aggressively A/B their app downloads too and you never know what you’re getting app wise.

I meant that it wasn't swapping between ads and the video since ads were being skipped.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

eightysixed posted:

We’re from the England. Got it. It all makes sense now that we have an affinity :v:

You mean 'The' United Kingdom?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

eightysixed posted:

That’s not what it was called in 1776.

I thought 1776 was only special to 'The' United States...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

The true answer probably is that they wrote their app in C++ so the same code base works on Android based systems and iOS based systems, and the scrub bar is the bare minimum OpenGL ES thing they could throw up on the screen.

Source: I'm 12 years into cross platform mobile game development needing to deal with such bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

kri kri posted:

They need to put an actual AirTag into the remote. The locator thing is kinda okay, but an AirTag that chirps would be better.

I had a friend 3d print a case for the remote with an airtag slot built in. I only used it on the pre-locator remote though. I'm sure there's a new STL for the new remote.