Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is there a way to view recently updated apps and patch notes like on iOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thank you, early adopters, for all that you do.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

There were a few apps like that on the ATV3, but only from related channels, and they would still forget your information after a week or two.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bought one of these 'cause I'm dumb.

The new remote is so much better. I hated the old one. Having the text input be a straight line instead of a grid is actually better for it, too. You can do a quick/long swipe to move it closer to far away letters, then tap the edge of the touch pad to move single spaces for the specific letter. It's not as bad as this thread made it seem, but I can see how it might be harder for people who don't have experience judging virtual momentum from years of playing video games or whatever.

They're still idiots for supposedly abandoning the iOS app.

Also it's funny that for all the fuss made about games being required to work with the remote, every single game makes sure to specify whether or not the remote will work. It's like they know they're going to remove the requirement but they're waiting for enough people to ask first.

$10 was a lot to ask for Beat Sports... :\

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like, as one of the most profitable tech companies in the world, they should be able to whip up a quick remote app for their own hardware pretty easily.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Mahoning posted:

MTV and Comedy Central apps have been added to the store. Also, there are like 10 different categories in the App Store now instead of 2.

Can you watch full episodes of The Daily Show from the Comedy Central app? It keeps getting harder to justify Hulu....

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think it varies by app.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I love the new remote, but at the same time, I somehow managed to accidentally download airbnb while the TV was off.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The Apple TV 4 feels surprisingly rushed for something that was rumored for years.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I can't think of any other devices with momentum-based swiping for text input, so I can see why it might confuse people.

Between this and "force touch" or whatever I feel like Apple has been coming up with good UI navigation techniques that are mostly going to confuse and frustrate people. Though they've done a better job of promoting and explaining force touch.

There should be a swiping tutorial or something for this (is there?)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

There are some good avenues they could go to make password entry less of a hassle. Hopefully they will! :)

Really though, how often are you buying apps? The selection isn't exactly thriving and this is ultimately still a 75% Netflix box, 25% airplay box.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

My ATV3 does that constantly. Like at least once per hour of use.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Got a link? I don't see any updates in the App Store.

It's not an update to the app, it's an update to the ATV4. Just tried it and it works :toot:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I can't imagine who would pay money to stream CBS. Their target audience is too old to know what streaming is.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Rick Sanchez posted:

You all realize that CBS has some of the highest rated shows on network television, right? If anything their hubris is slightly warranted. If any network is going to try to strike out on their own it should be CBS.

Not saying their stuff is any GOOD, I don't watch anything on CBS myself, but as far as advertisers are concerned they're the top game in town. Hell, my mother is thinking of getting a subscription because, apparently, "most of the shows we watch are on CBS."

Trust me, I think this streaming world networks want to have will buckle under its own weight if they get their way, but it's not like CBS doesn't have the numbers to back up doing their own thing.

Isn't this because they have like 5 different CSI shows? CSI is for elderly people.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Important Apple TV PSA: When you set the Apple TV's name for AirPlay purposes, you can use emojis 😭🙌💪

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I may be wrong but I don't think there is an actual internal volume setting with the ATV. It's dependent on your setup.

The only solution I can see here is to get Bluetooth speakers instead. When I use my Bluetooth headphones, the volume buttons actually change an Apple TV specific volume thing. It looks like the iOS volume graphic.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

How's the state of gaming on these things now? Are there any legit games or does it feel like you're just playing a mobile game on a big screen?

It's garbage. There might be a few good games like Transistor, but they run poorly and you're better off getting those games on something else.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

One thing that should be noted is it does a very nice job at rendering subtitles (presuming Plex uses the defaults anyway). White on a slightly transparent dark background is really readable. Sometimes I've given up on media players because I simply can't read the subtitles when there's very bright scenes. Could do with a bit of padding to the left and right because the first and last character touch the very edges of the background, but that's an incredibly minor complaint.

If you go into settings you can completely customize this, actually. I'm not sure if you can increase the spacing, but you can change font, color, outlines/no outlines, box opacity, and maybe a few other things.

Edit: Okay, you can't change that spacing, though it doesn't look too bad to me? But you can mess around with the other stuff and see if that fixes things.

I personally set the text to yellow, with a black outline around it, for that classic Arrested Development feel.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

I would really like a CN/AS app. Would also like direct ports of the Synology iOS apps. TeamViewer would also be pretty handy.

I'm surprised there aren't more sideload apps. Maybe the USB C port puts up a barrier to entry.

the CN/AS apps on iOS are buggy, constantly-crashing garbage, though. I really doubt they can handle a TV OS app on top of that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

housefly posted:

My ATV3 has been doing this weird thing lately where the video blanks out and then comes back in. It varies when it does it and the audio always stays on. I've not been able to find anything online directly relating to this. Should I just assume it's dying and pick up a 4th gen?

I had this problem and..... That's what I did. The ATV4 had slightly similar problems that were solved by turning off CEC, though, so I'd try using it on another TV to see if the same thing happens. It might be the TV being weird about HDMI and possibly needing a firmware update. (This TV also had issues with a new model cable box.)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Customer service representative? As in, a person working in a call center who isn't actually an Amazon employee and only has an FAQ pamphlet to work off of?

These people don't know anything and frequently just google people's questions and then read back rumors from tech forums pretending they have insider information.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why I worded that post so aggressively i must be in a mood lol

But yeah, we're stuck with airplay for the foreseeable future.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, you'd think Google would at least remember frequent searches.

To me, though, the YouTube app is pretty much always just a receiver. I control it from my phone.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't bother doing any of that and just AirPlay all my YouTube vids (also it's my gf's ATV).

Yeah, if you just set your phone to airplay (not screen mirroring) it will automatically put up any video you start playing on your phone, and it's ridiculously convenient.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Edit: weird, the forums word-filter x bone as one word to xbox one.

Proper respect for branding is taken very seriously here on Something Awful.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I wish the HBO app had a way to "favorite" certain shows. It's so annoying having to scroll through their entire catalogue just to get back to watching backlog episodes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I think they're low-effort ports. This thing doesn't have a huge install-base like iOS so people aren't as willing to go all in yet.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Anyone else having constant audio-sync issues with HBO Now?

I have to pause it every 10 minutes to fix it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

The Christian Whitehead port of Sonic 1 is now available on Apple TV! The controls are awful using the remote, but if you have an MFI controller you can finally experience wide-screen Sonic 1 on the TV :)

It's also cross-buy with the iOS versions.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

priznat posted:

I am still holding out hope for Google Play/Google Play Music on ATV, just something like on iOS that will let you play content but not buy it on the device.

A Sonos app would be nice too.

If you're talking about movies and TV shows purchased from Google Play, you can access all of that from the YouTube app on the Apple TV.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

priznat posted:

:psyboom: I had no idea that was a thing! I do the occasional 99c rental on google play but just used airplay.

I don't think it's organized very well if you have a lot of purchases, though. I'm not sure, I don't really use it. But I have a few movies on Google Play that I got through random free promotions, and they're available under "Purchases" in the "My YouTube" section.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Cable-provider log-in apps almost aren't worth using because they forget your information constantly.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Single sign-in is amazing but yeah that sucks the update is so far away.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

kefkafloyd posted:

Better late than never when correcting a mistake like this, but there's no way to be certain that'll improve the number of things out for it.

Did Apple actually change their policy on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Perplx posted:

apart from side loading a proxy server you could change to mac on your laptop to match the atv, agree to t&c's disconnect and connect with the atv

At this point why not just connect the Mac to the TV instead?