Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I don’t see the point of making the panels if they already have the Apple TV.

Every modern smart TVs can turn on directly to whatever input the Apple TV is on. I haven’t touched my Sony remote in months.

Edit: I’m probably the outlier where the Apple TV is the only device I have plugged into the TV, no other inputs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh my god, just announce a new ATV already. I've got a new TV waiting and I'm sick of using the stock apps.

What does the current one not do that a new one would?
Or is it just not wanting to buy a 4 year old device when a new one is around the corner if you could the last 2 years of rumors as one giant corner

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

I ended up upgrading to Apple One (or whatever the plan is called) because it was just a few dollars more than everything I was subscribing to already and I wanted to try Apple News and my wife wanted to try Apple Fitness anyway. So I have Apple Arcade but there is very little that interests me. It seems like a no brainer for them to dump a bunch of money and resources into this but it just seems like it hasn't taken off yet and their heart isn't really in it. If it's included free with your bundle, or if it's just $5 a month, then it seems like a good deal. But I was hoping for something that would grab me and there wasn't. But I'm a super casual gamer with very limited tastes related to what I grew up with (play experiences like Doom, Quake, MK, SF, Twisted Metal, Nintendo games, etc.) and I haven't gamed seriously in over a decade so I'm super behind the times. If you're an RPG fan or somebody who branches out more than me there might be something awesome on there.

I think the biggest thing they could do if they actually gave a poo poo would be to pack a controller in the box. People are expected to play a game like NBA 2k21 with the loving Siri remote? I'm one of the few who likes the Siri remote, but it's absolute dog poo poo for trying to play a game. Throw a loving controller in the box and you'll get a lot more people playing. I have Apple Arcade, grew up a gamer, and even for me buying a controller is too much friction for me to get invested in their game selection. If your competition is charging $49 for their streaming box and you're charging $200, you might as well throw a $7 controller into the box if it will help prop up your gaming service.

I assume people just sync whatever Bluetooth controllers they have from the last 3 generations of gaming consoles.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sony 65” X900H goes on sale for $1k

Although their promised 120hz VRR firmware update still hasn’t arrived :/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just bought a nice Sony 4k/120hz TV so new ATV is a day one purchase for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not really, just pick one up at Costco or Best Buy on release day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought a bright red silicon case for my ATV remote so now I can tell which end is up and easily spot it in the couch. Cheap fix that probably gives Johnny Ives an ulcer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AppleTV is also in stock at Costco and Best Buy or wherever Apple stuff is sold
($10 cheaper at Costco)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like CableMatters stuff, I picked up this 3 pack of 8k HDMI cables for $20 and they've been fine. I am running them in the walls and wanted to not worry about swapping them out anytime soon
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-48Gbps-Support/dp/B081NXV3ZR/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inept posted:

U.S. costco also only has the old ones now. I guess they sold their allotment of them thanks to the :10bux: off

Yeah, Costco does this weird thing when something sells out they take it off the website completely. It'll be back when they restock.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The idea was that the TV app would be your hub for all your viewing and you'd just go there to get recommendations and get whooshed right to whatever you wanted to watch. It didn't pan out well especially given that Netflix doesn't hook into it.

Yeah, it was before they even launched AppleTV+

Also the first time you press it it asks if you want to use it as the home or as TV app now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I preordered with Costco and it still has not shipped yet. loving rip me. If it doesn’t ship by Tuesday (my next day off) I’ll reserve one at the apple store and cancel it.

Their preorder paid said "ships week of 5/24" so I'm guessing it goes out some time next week

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

My Costco order still didn’t ship and the apple store has it in inventory, so I called it and cancelled the Costco order, I’ll pay the extra $10 and get it today.

Same, except my local Best Buy had a bunch of them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the Apple TV 4K for $40 off when you buy two. Costco already has a cheaper price so they end up $150 each.

If you buy 3 then it’s $80 off. Each capacity has a limit of two so you would have to buy two 32gb and one 64gb to get the discount, for example.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I think Airplay isn’t over WiFi/Ethernet, and is some weirdo Bluetooth poo poo.

Source: in my building my ATV allows airplay from devices not on my wifi.

It’s definitely Wi-Fi it just uses Wi-Fi direct instead of requiring the devices to be on the same network.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I moved to Chromecast w/GTV a while ago because I needed to sideload a Japanese IPTV app but man, the remote that came with my 4th gen ATV was a disaster if I wasn't staring directly at it. Perfectly symmetrical right side up and upside down, unless you happen to feel that you're thumbing an elongated button meaning you're holding it upside down. Yeah, I *guess* the texture was different on the touch section, but man, having to fondle my remote for ten seconds to determine if I'm holding it right is not my definition of a "good user experience" lol.

I ended up buying one of those sideclick TV remote attachments just to break the symmetry. And I guess it was nice to be able to push a button to change TV inputs which I couldn't readily do with the ATV remote, but that's neither here nor there.

Are the new ones any less confusing in the dark?

I put a $2 silicone case on my 4th gen remote that easily tells me what side is up, and makes it easier to spot in the couch cushions too

The new remote has a raised pad on the top so yeah, it's easier to instantly tell what side is what

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s notifications on the AppleTV? Is this from Homekit or something?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We got a minimum 2 more years before a new ATV refresh. The last one was really just to fix the remote anyways.

There's nothing the A12 current ATV 4k can't do that an A14 or better could.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the AppleTV 4K for $109
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-tv-4k-32gb-2nd-generation-latest-model-black/6342362.p?skuId=6342362

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That’s a huge update, goddamn

edit: they split the lineup into wifi only and wifi and Ethernet. Interesting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I have no idea what thread even is so I’ll assume I don’t have any use for it.

I actually keep up with these things and I’ve never heard about it lol

It makes it so all the smart home stuff is finally interoperable. It’s good poo poo.

https://www.theverge.com/23165855/thread-smart-home-protocol-matter-apple-google-interview

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They don’t actually make the HD anymore but Walmart still has old inventory.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might as well plug JustWatch which will very plainly tell me what media is available from what service.

https://www.justwatch.com

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The first gen Apple TV ran OSX Tiger and had a Pentium M with a 40gb HDD

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I had something similar happen when my kids got some sticky substance under the buttons. If it’s an old remote you might try cleaning or replacing it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eightysixed posted:

This is the main reason why I went the Roku Ultra avenue when I moved on from the ATV2 - I was sick of looking for the remote all the time when people would walk away with it or whatever, or it'd fall in the couch, etc etc.
The Ultra has a button on the actual device that makes the remote beep, and obviously you're not going to lose the device itself that's plugged in v:shobon:v

I just have a brightly colored case on my atv remote

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

If I'm using my phone for my camera, what the hell am I supposed to fiddle with while talking?

Your freaking iPad!!!!!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New control center is literally be best feature of AppleTVOS 17. The sleep timer rocks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with cleaning out a Siri Remote (silver with power button)?

*Someone* might have spilled a drink on the remote and now the volume button is constantly stuck on volume down. I tried putting a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton swap to see if it would get in but it looks real tight.

Or am I just out $60?

Edit: I found an iFixit guide and was able to pop the button off. Unfortunately the glitch is somewhere else so I gave up.

I had the same thing happen and cleaning it only partially worked but as a last ditch effort I did a complete remote restart and that, for some reason, resolved my issues completely. Worth a shot.

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/restart-siri-remote-apple-tv-remote/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The TV app was redesigned and the navigation menu moved from the top to the left side.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2023/12/redesigned-apple-tv-app-elevates-the-viewing-experience/

I like it a lot. I use the sports section to direct me to wherever the NFL games are, and if you have any streaming subs they pop up on the bar there as well.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Roku makes more money on selling ads than they do selling actual hardware now. Amazons hardware division is unprofitable.

The AppleTV is priced fine, the rest of the field is artificially low to drive eyeballs for their ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is the Apple TV remote using Bluetooth or IR?

It has both, the remote can learn IR codes and sent signals to things like soundbars and older TVs without CEC .