Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I bought one yesterday to make life easier while I'm away from my plex box (my Apple TV 3 ideally needs to be on the same network). There's a lot of ported stuff from the old model which is fine, but I hope they improve. Air BnB is probably the worst app ever but with work it could be pretty awesome.

When I did the update to the latest version, it auto downloaded BBC iplayer which is neat I guess. I'm glad my UK and US apps can still live side by side too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone had problems with it not working on their TV? My early 2010s LG isn't playing ball. Annoyingly I didn't test it before moving it in a car and I've got not much in the way of HDMI devices here to test the TV (LGs of that age have a habit of the HDMI ports dying, and the fix is to put the mainboard in the oven. Hm.) but I know the ATV is fine as I tried it on another TV, even tried reducing the resolution to SD to see if that'd help, but nothing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Working with Bluetooth headphones might very well be my favourite upgrade so far.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How does VLC read files, off network shares or something?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds useful. I have that other app that uses smb and afp shares but didn't get the best results from it for some reason. It was only a quick test, mind. Plex is my most needed and I've got that setup, but it's useful to have something that can do whatever random crap I've downloaded locally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Look up PlexConnect. Bit of an arse to get setup, but stable and the data fits into the Apple TV quite nicely.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is that Pluto app working for people? It just kicks me back to the main menu after the logo. Might be because I've not got my US DNS in place yet though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm trying to work out why you'd get a feedback loop from the TVs headphone socket. That's how I've always connected my amp to the Apple TV (either line out or headphone out, depending on the TV) and never had that issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of the apps are shockingly lazy right now - TripAdvisor and Air BnB are horrendous wastes of time - but with some effort, I can't wait to see some services get the proper treatment.

There's a lot of apps that are essentially ports of their original Apple TV apps, which I hope are being worked on.

The system has solid fundamentals, the OS will improve bit by bit, but it's on the developers to make use of what they're given. The amount of times I see awesome sounding APIs and tech at WWDC which then go largely ignored by devs is frustrating.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One thing that should be noted is it does a very nice job at rendering subtitles (presuming Plex uses the defaults anyway). White on a slightly transparent dark background is really readable. Sometimes I've given up on media players because I simply can't read the subtitles when there's very bright scenes. Could do with a bit of padding to the left and right because the first and last character touch the very edges of the background, but that's an incredibly minor complaint.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I'm usually a sucker for going into every menu option but must've skipped that. Tbh they're pretty much perfect for me, I can understand people liking the yellow ones but a contrasted background is preferable to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah as long as it's the only thing on 100mbit it should be fine. That still gives you about 10MB/sec of throughput after overheads.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex kinda sucks at live streams, but try cCloud. It's about as reliable as any other free streaming solution though (ie not very).

With regards to wrestling, WWE Network is always going to be you best bet unless you need Raw/Indies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lucha Underground is available on a legit stream you can probably AirPlay to the Apple TV, and maybe will get an actual app at some point.

It is hard to keep up with the amount of different services there are for one sport though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed they had VOD too.

Also as a fellow UK person, VPNs are old news - look into a DNS service like UnblockUS or AdFreeTime. They're super cheap (like £2 a month or something) and they run silently in the background and don't affect your bandwidth, but tell a bunch of supported sites "hey, this guy is in the US or UK or Australia or Dubai" etc based on what's the best location for you to be. Combined with someone in the US who can auth your channels on their cable line, you can use all the stuff you get on Apple TV like Fox, ESPN, HBO, Showtime etc. It's really useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is the YouTube app working correctly for everyone? For hours no videos will play, I just get a "An error occurred loading this content" message on anything. Am in my account fine and able to add things to playlists and watch later etc, but nothing plays back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haven't seen protube before, will look it up.

Wondered if it was a logged in thing, at least it's not just me then. Just airplaying everything from my phone for not, better than nothing. I rely on subscriptions and watch later, so easier than logging out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vince MechMahon posted:

I had issues with the WWE Network doing the reverse of this (saying stuff isn't available in my region). I fixed it by logging out and back in.

Out of curiosity, do you know which stuff is region locked? I always thought it was the same service worldwide.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really dig those video wallpapers they do. Does everyone get the same ones each month, or does it just grab a random selection from the pool?

Also, do app updates happen automatically? I've seen no way of doing it by hand, or seeing change logs etc but do spot the little blue dots to indicate newness so something must be going on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My YouTube experience became so much better when I logged in to the same account on every device, subscribed to channels, and used Watch Later (more) properly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the last two days the YT app doesn't go to the info screen anymore, and starts playing the video when you click (rather than doing that when you press play). Does a single day go by without Google messing with and breaking something on this app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because the app was working fine until they keep breaking it, and what's the point of anyone buying an Apple TV 4 if the answer is use AirPlay? AirPlay is at best a 'final resort' and cocks up plenty and not everything can run in background with it anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How strange that we seem to have had different versions. For me:

Pressing play/pause: takes you into the video like it always used to on ATV 3

Pressing the clicker: takes you to a screen where you can see some useful things like the channel it's on (cos you only see that in some views), the description, related videos plus a bunch of options such as Like/Dislike, Add/remove to playlist etc. It was nothing amazing but the playlist functions were useful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haggins posted:

Is the new ATV worth the upgrade from the old one? Now that's it has been out for awhile, I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything. Right now I'm pretty happy with what my current one does. I mostly just watch Netflix, HBO, and sometimes use the other cable channel apps (like Fx and all that). I know it has the integrated search, but I usually know what I'm going to watch before I turn the TV on.

Some apps are the same still (FX being one, most of the network tv apps) while others are complete rebuilds of varying quality. The HBO app is pretty, although I find the text hard to read on a small screen (I'm sure it's far more legible if i had my plasma here), Netflix has a fair amount of people annoyed as to where it puts your watching list - it's right at the bottom after all the categories. Doesn't bother me much, but it's a bit daft.

Apps will continue to get better, I dig it. Remote is amazing, and can control your TV volume and standby instinctively without being taught codes or even when it's not hooked up via HDMI. Clever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Craptacular! posted:

Man, if you don't have a subscription to Netflix or Hulu active, this thing crashes down to Earth pretty hard.

I primarily use it as a Plex client, but somehow the network cable at the server end has been killed so it's down and... I agree, you need *something* to make it fun. Everything is working against me, as my ISP has awful traffic management in place that kills streams it hasn't whitelisted in seconds, and the good fun stuff from the US like HBO naturally isn't whitelisted. Air playing across wifi from my MacBook Air (on wireless, but all hardware is in the same room and on 130mbps) is a joke, its laggy as hell and running something in VLC crashes the stream for some reason.

So I'm back with Netflix for a bit, ha!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought the 64gb just in case I regretted going smaller and eh, this thing doesn't feel like it's going to fill up any time soon. 32 should be fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How readable is the HBO app on a decent sized screen? The text overlays on the graphics in the menus is pretty hard to make out on my little 24" at the end of the bed. Other than that it's a really pretty app, and I hope other companies follow suit. I'm sure it looks great on a big screen.

Is it me, or has Netflix fixed that "putting all the stuff in your list to the bottom" now? Might've been fixed a while ago, but it's something I noticed yesterday.

Also something that people might find interesting - if you're signed into a UK iTunes account, but you use an unblocked for Netflix, if you use Siri to find things it'll be based on the UK store. Must be because of the way the API is implemented, but a bit of a bummer if your iTunes and Netflix regions don't match.

Given that Apple have been pretty cool about saying "this show/movie is actually available on your service rather than buying it through us", it's a shame that the iTunes TV and iTunes Movies apps don't just become front-ends for TV and Movies in general, with iTunes playing a part of it but giving you pointers on what to watch. It's a bit weird that if you search for a show you get taken to pretty much the same screen as if you did in the iTunes app, but via the apps you lose the link throughs to other services. I mean, I get it... but iTMS while making a decent amount of money on its own isn't really where Apple makes their dough and is essentially there to get people to buy their hardware. If they are ever in a position to do a iTunes Music for Movies and/or TV, then that'd be pretty great though as their library is pretty fantastic and fast. Right now I'm not spending $3 an episode on something that airs on PBS, I watch enough TV that my bill would probably double or triple each month just using iTunes.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 12, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can't even give an opinion because the iPhone app asks me if I want to validate the Apple TV app, yet does nothing when I press 'yes'.

It I try to do on the web, I just get a spinning loading icon.

All while a 5 second loop drives me loving insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh good call, I don't use purity but I do have one. Although I tried in Chrome too, which I didn't think was covered by a blocker?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just instinctively feel for the volume button now and flip it in my hand if i need to. I love the remote so I can't complain too much, and it makes me put it to the side rather than losing it in my bed a hundred times a night like I did with the old one. Which I've kept for a spare, just in case.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't know about the tv package part of sling, that sounds quite neat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like Rez, but know a guy who literally bled from his eyes after a massive session of it. Made me relieved that I'm really crap at that game.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Was it the game or the grip of drugs he was undoubtedly on while playing it?

I don't think the guy has ever touched anything dodgy in his life, which makes me wonder how he got into Rez in the first place.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only slight concern is that the potential of it is never unleashed until a new hardware revision down the road and we have to upgrade again. I love the new box, but it felt like they were waiting for upwards of 12 months to sort out network deals that never transpired, as nothing about it screams 'up to the minute tech'.

A lot of iOS issues are always down to meh developers. It's the same with the iPhone and iPad, Apple talk for hours at WWDC about all these new amazing APIs and features in the new version and only a small group of devs bother to take them up. The amount of apps I have from major companies that aren't even optimised for the screen of the iPhone 6 is ridiculous. They're so loving lazy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still dig that I could turn my tv off with the apple remote even when it's not hooked up to the tv.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've been away for a few weeks so I'm excited to see what features in YT have broken since. The most recent 'wtf' change I saw was when the Watch Later list got reversed to a degree and missed out the most recent addition.

Still weird how they completely removed that info screen that not everyone had, and never put it back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EngineerJoe posted:

Sideload provenance and get a game pad

Is there a good write up to this anywhere? I used to have a chipped Xbox with CoinOps installed and intrigued if this is a nice replacement. Think the other half would dig it too. I've found a guide for installing etc but just more information at what it's good at, what it fails at would be useful.

E: while I'm here, is Kodi worth a side load currently? I use Plex, but have a few addons in Kodi that would be useful if stable.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 22, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

An article from last year says it's not an MFI controller, so no.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for that info, sounds like we're back to mid 90s quality emulation for now! Hopefully it's something that'll be nicely resolved in time. I bought a 64gb ATV so would be nice to use the space for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it just customary for every app on the system to get a bad rating? I just grabbed the 2* Zillow app and while it's not the greatest thing ever, it's nice to be able to look through properties on a big screen with my partner rather than huddled around a laptop or both on our phones. Do people just have crazy expectations or something?