Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

THC posted:

Jesus Christ

my exact reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

the RCMP got them off the streets.

this is an extremely generous reading of the RCMP's actions and intent

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Remember when Dix lost the election because he rejected this on a whim? Lol.

I remember Dix losing the election, but for more reasons than this

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

The people in my city are simply too stupid to live.

reported for terrorism

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

well you wouldn't want to stick all your money in just one right

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, a big problem with math is that, if you miss the fundamentals, you're going to have real trouble down the road. On the other hand, you can still learn those things as an adult. People who don't want to improve themselves if they know their math skills are weak are as unimpressive to me as engineers who don't think they need to be able to communicate in English effectively.

Agree. Foundations foundations foundations.

While you can't guarantee that post-sec profs will be good for remedial stuff, you can be pretty damned certain they're better than your high-school teachers were.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

wealthfare

:laffo: I hope someone buys you another custom title with this

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Impressive, you managed not to post about weed

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

lol gently caress off I'm not voting

thus spake the BC populous

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why is existence being hollow and meaningless uniformly seen as a bad thing? I rather like the fact that life is a blank canvas devoid of all meaning. There'd be a horrible amount of pressure otherwise, don't you think?

Agreed, the quest for some overwhelming purpose is what leads folks to religion after all - among other things. Better, in my opinion, to accept that there is no underlying reason for ones existence. A fortunate cosmic accident.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Helsing posted:

Not to say that I totally disagree with you but the glibness of this statement is foolhardy at best.

Because one day you won't be young anymore. Your body will no longer be this lithe, wonderful machine that attracts the opposite sex, responds swiftly to your commands and delivers the all the pleasures that your nerves can handle. Slowly it will become an ugly, liver spotted prison, full of constant aches and pains. The smoking you enjoy will become an terrible burden that produces hacking coughs. You drinking habit that you think you control might suddenly seize control of you. Meanwhile some of the people you depend on will fail you, others will even betray you. Something you banked on happening will fall through. A person you love will die without warning. Something that once brought you pleasure will now just make you feel empty and sad. Perhaps you will realize, too late, that you let the love of your life or your dream job or the best opportunity you'd ever have slip through your fingers years ago.

If you can get through that poo poo and still shrug and say "thank God life is a blank canvas devoid of all meaning" then more power to you. That's one of the objectives of many philosophers. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your worldview will always be as easy or as pleasant as it is right now during the spring or high summer of your brief mortal existence. Wait till you're old and ugly and weak and then see how you feel about the meaninglessness of your life.

A bizarre appeal to experience/authority of a sort. The result of this could just as easily be contentment at goals accomplished, pleasures experienced, and the belief that ultimately each individual is responsible for their own contentment.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Helsing posted:

That's exactly my point though. If you can actually get through the harder parts of your life -- sickness, disappointment, aging, the approach of you own death -- and still embrace the meaninglessness of existence then that's a really impressive feat. If it were as easy as you imply I don't think religion or political extremism would be nearly so prevalent in the world.

However if you're 20-something, have a good job and are healthy and you're already extolling how totally cool you are with the meaninglessness of the universe then you just sound young and naive, you don't sound sophisticated or worldly.

Sure, a lack of adversity might mean someone is never prompted to examine these kinds of questions in any depth, and if I understand you correctly you're saying that if you already feel comfortable with life you're not going to need the comfort that comes with attributing the events of your life to something other than yourself. But what I'm contending is that, adversity and all, accepting that there isn't some great all-encompassing reasoning behind suffering (yours or any others) beyond the reasoning people give it is more of a comfort than thinking something inscrutable or unstoppable is out to get you.

edit to add: In my opinion it allows you to move forward; if the source of adversity is mundane then it can be overcome (even with hardship). If it isn't, then what's the point in trying?

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 28, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I don't think anyone is saying people shouldn't find meaning where they can?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I swear to god I read that exact post on these very forums in the past but I can't remember where

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Do they think they are good people?

Like at home do they go to bed without sobbing uncontrollably?

if you're asking how they sleep at night the answer is 'comfortably'

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

or you know, just don't take drug recreationally

there's no way in hell I'm cutting alcohol out of my life

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

whole bunch of 16 year olds gonna vote like their parents say they ought

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

pretty much this

Sure there's outliers for crazy controlling parents but I think given the general temperament of a teenager you'd see more inclination to not vote in the parental direction. Plus the really dumb lolbertarians won't vote because it's "making a statement :downswords:"

a fuckload of young university students, at least when I was younger, had no loving idea what was going on with any of the parties and just voted like their parents did (controlling doesn't come into it at all) because why not?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

conflict with the performance of her duties.

catching up on your 'eyerollingly bad' quota I see

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

so on the one hand theorizing about the platonically ideal leader is childish nonsense, but on the other we'd better not have anyone far from it in power or else

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A I'm curious as to what exactly you felt was going to happen if she stayed as minister of health when only obsessives like you were making hay over it, Mr. 'but I got off my rear end'? Going to start eating cheeseburgers en-mass in protest and boy-wouldn't-that-show-them?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oh wait this is about your tobacco fetish.

:smug: Only someone morally superior to We can rule on Our behavior :smug:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

If, of course, the personal characteristics of a minister are irrelevant, why, then, is it important that there be gender equality and representation from other under-represented groups in cabinet?

real-talk: are you drunk?

because equality in representation isn't about optics or whatever the gently caress you're attempting to sputter here

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

What's everybody's favourite virtue for a cabinet minister to have, though.

limited tenure

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Wasnt the previous Alberta health minister a homeopath or something hilarious? If youre going to criticize at least do it fairly and equally.

no you see he totally would do that, but he's just doing it now because now it's relevant to him!

Still waiting to hear how her being in that position was going to gravely affect everyone's health though; perhaps she was going to institute an all-fat all-the-time province-wide mandatory diet?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Has he finally quelled the rumblings of rebellion in his own ranks?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Ok so given the sjw logic exhibited in the past four pages of fat chat, would you guys support reinstating Mike Duffy?

I guess that also means you guys are OK with Rob Ford smoking crack right.

Nothing can disqualify you from a job if you do Good Work.

An important qualification to examine in both of those examples

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

You can't be obese for a long period of time unless you are making choices that maintain your obesity. It's very simple. I've known people who have gain huge amounts of weight from drug side-effects and whatnot, and once they are off the drug, or adjust their diet and exercise, they lose weight. Ergo, if someone is obese for a long period of time without losing weight, they are obviously not interested in doing what's necessary to lose the weight. That's fine; it's their choice, and their choice alone. For some people, losing weight can be very difficult, and I don't begrudge anyone who simply doesn't give a gently caress -- man or woman alike. What I object to is someone who's made that decision taking care of the health portfolio.

I don't have anything against women in general, fat people in general, or fat women specifically. I am not holding Hoffman to a separate standard, and I'm not judging female cabinet ministers based on how they look, because you''re absolutely correct that would be disgusting. You're seeing malice and sexism where none exists.

hahaha I knew this would be your argument before you even made it

premise 1: If you have stopped trying to exercise you have given up

premise 2: Giving up is Bad

premise 3: Being fat for longer than <input time here> indicates a lack of exercise

premise 4: Sarah Hoffman is fat

Anecdote: Sarah Hoffman has been fat for longer than my good friend X

Conclusion: Sarah Hoffman is Bad [e: I forgot to capitalize Bad here, my Bad]

Note that by your argument being fat for any length of time at all is Bad because <anecdote>

but hey, I know how much you like your stories

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 4, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

Giving up is only bad if you're in a position where an important part of your job is to help convince other people of the importance of not giving up. I would have 0 problem with Sarah Hoffman if she weren't in a position that makes her life choices hypocritical.

I didn't realize she was an inspirational speaker or an aerobics teacher or some poo poo as well, she should get off her fat (Bad) rear end!

Still waiting on some kind of list (seriously, even bullet points is fine bro) of consequences to having a Bad (read: fat for Too Long) person in her former position.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

If only she hadn't done the job I would have lauded a skinnier person for doing I would be sleeping better at night and not gnashing my teeth nearly so hard!!!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

And that's why she can't effectively do her job! When she does what, essentially, she should indeed be doing, it looks hypocritical and it interferes with her ability to propose new policy directions. There's the appearance of a conflict of interest. That's not a good thing.

Well I'm glad you can admit you're engaging - boldly - in some irrational populism them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Helsing posted:

The vanity of others offends our taste only when it offends our vanity

The whole of that section is such good light reading

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Helsing posted:

Edit - Also if you enjoyed Epigrams and Interludes then you should really check out La Rochefoucauld.

I did, and I shall. Does the author pull the same intentionally misleading stuff as Nietzsche?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the implication is that <other people> are gold-diggers

especially funny given the profession

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Wasps moved in and ruined everything, as usual.

:perfect:

Rime posted:

Nah. This is going to turn out like the debacle in the 80s where psychologists were convincing patients that their parents raped them. Or when we were castrating boys to turn them into girls at birth. Or any time we've meddled with the human psyche, really, our track record is garbage.

I can't wait for the impending oops moment, where an entire generation ends up hosed in the head because they have no idea what gender they actually are anymore, and demand employers use pronouns like Zys/Zy/Ze. The decline of the west is glorious to behold. :allears:

But, as in so many things, anyone expressing the idea that things are getting out of hand will just be vilified as hating the queers, even queer people!

:mediocre:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hal_2005 posted:

Who is the biggest celebrity right now in western Canada? You don't need to live in Canada to answer this, just testing out a bet.

who loving cares

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't really want people smoking weed in the park, just like I don't really want people drinking in the park.

because you hate fun?

Drinking outdoors is awesome. I hope someday BC will shed all it's weird and archaic alcohol laws and I can maybe drink a beer on the beach legally before I die

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Michelle Rempel introduced this motion in the House.

Liberals voting in favour :negative:

I am beginning to feel like perhaps I was right to distrust the Liberals

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

The NDP would not have governed well
[citation needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Because the insane rise in housing costs has negative knock-on effects, and so will any resultant crash