Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

tekz posted:

Didn't the NDP run to the right of the liberals this election

Not really, but I figure a lot of people would think so given that the NDP campaign's tone and theme was conservative -- stability, balanced approach, gradual progress and the like. It was a horrible misread of an electorate that was obviously (in hindsight) receptive to change and vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Does SIRC even have any teeth at all? I can't find anything regarding any rear end-kicking authority it might have against CSIS, which in the end is the only thing that matters. Regardless, it's horribly underfunded and practically unable to keep up with complaints, let alone launch any pro-active reviews.

Who gives a poo poo about an agency that has nothing more impressive than the power to wag its finger, if it can even somehow scrounge up enough money to find something to wag at?

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I dunno this might be completely unreasonable but maybe there should be a team of lawyers whose goal is to put people who abuse civil liberties in jail. They could be part of a certain watchdog agency with broad investigative powers, and perhaps even receive performance-based bonuses to ensure that they're thirsty for the blood of tyrants.

I'm not particularly impressed that a minister who's part of a majority government can theoretically perhaps do something maybe if there's enough political pressure. I want CSIS officials to wonder whether their actions are going to land them in prison every single time they consider some operation against anti-pipeline protesters or somesuch.

By the way have you addressed SIRC's underfunding?

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 27, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I don't support weed legalization because I'm old and white and youth culture makes me soil my pants

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

The rich are running scared.

Note: a poll from April of this year found that 64% of Canadians are willing to pay more taxes to protect social services and 83% of Canadians are in favour of raising taxes on the rich.

Note: there is clearly no correlation between our high tax rates and our low government debt.

I skimmed some of the article but I'm 90% sure he doesn't even mention the tax cut for slightly less wealthy people.

tl;dr: "Don't tax me bro!! :qq:" - a rich guy

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-comment/justin-no-new-taxes

Rich people are such whiny little shits. It's so loving obnoxious to hear one of these shitheads complain about how there's no point in working under a taxation scheme so oppressive that it leaves their hourly earnings at multiples of my own, let alone minimum wage workers. Can they just gently caress off already? We don't want you. Do it; go Galt. Go away.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

"Why should I bother working once I reach a tax bracket that leaves my hourly earnings at a miserly $50/hr?"

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yes, if you take care of your appearance and do exercise on a regular basis to avoid looking like a potato, it means you're a horrible superficial monster, bereft of even the meanest of intellectual gifts!

It's like morbidly obese people getting pissed off at normal-weight people and accusing them of being "skinny bitches" or whatever.

It's high school stereotypes as a substitute for political thought -- it should honestly just be dismissed with contempt.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

How are they going to stay left with a Charest Liberal as their leader? It's important to remember that it wasn't for disagreements over the right-wing economics of the Quebec Liberals that Mulcair left the party.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, the mechanics of STV behind the curtain can get a little complex, but if someone doesn't understand the concept of ranking people 1 to n based on order of preference, well, maybe democracy can do with a slightly lower turnout sometimes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You'll find the Sûreté du Québec to be a friendly, cordial and helpful bunch so long as you're a white francophone who is not currently engaged in protest.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The Honorable Senators should like to Honorably go fill each other's Honorable back chambers, in my view.,

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Bombardier is a beloved LPQ client who's willing and able to bribe the party and its leaders. Students, sick people, poor people, and public servants (who are currently striking over wage cuts) aren't.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The question of a referendum is pretty hard to resolve for me. What do you do about democratic drives that are explicitly anti-democratic? Are referendums genuinely democratic when you factor in the inarguable power of massive propaganda?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

In the end, do you leave the expansion of democracy to democracy, which is susceptible to bogus propaganda campaigns, or do you leave it up to power systems, which are susceptible to glaring conflicts of interest?

It's a lovely choice either way.

cowofwar posted:

Referendums are loving stupid.

We elect representatives to write legislation and vote for us by proxy. If we're going to have referendums just get rid of parliament, have the lobbyists propose legislation and then everything goes to a referendum with the senate confirming it.

The reason government works this way isn't (necessarily) that it leads to better policy outcomes, it's that total direct democracy is logistically impossible due to the amount of resources it would consume. There's nothing inherently wrong about the idea that direct democracy has a role to play in the formation of public policy along with representative democracy.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 2, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

I finally watched that video explaining mpp and I finally understand it. It seems alright in general and better that fptp but I don't like how it makes political parties a real thing and I really don't like how candidate who lose in their ridings can win via the party vote. Would the party rank list be finalized ahead of time? Is it possible for a fringe party to exhaust their list?

The word "lose" is doing a lot of work here. Imagine two elections between three people in ridings of equal population. One is split 40-30-30, and the other is split 45-40-15. There are just as many people who wanted the second election's "loser" in parliament as there were people who wanted the first election's "winner."

What use is there to the concept of winning and losing? It's completely meaningless. Someone can "lose" in the FPTP sense and still have a better performance than someone who "won" in the FPTP sense.

As for the idea that parties aren't a "real thing" right now, I don't know what to tell you, man. Do you live on planet Earth?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Honestly, there are many things I dislike in politics and I'm a massive cynic myself, but thoughtless cynicism masquerading as political thought is a special kind of annoying.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

An excess of applicants? To start up doomed businesses in some ghost town with no customers? They're just going to declare bankruptcy and call it the cost of i-- ooooooooooh I get it now

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Canada's consumption taxes are also less regressive than many other places because they don't apply to some necessities like groceries and there's regular sales tax rebates to low income individuals. Compared to places in the US where sales tax is just applied on everything with no exceptions or refunds it's downright progressive. In any case, cutting the GST into a deficit before the recession even hit was a bad move by the Conservatives and just because CI said it doesn't mean it isn't true.

They're also made less regressive by measures like the federal government's GST tax rebate and the Quebec provincial government's Solidarity Tax Credit. When I was in college they added up to some 80 dollars a month (~60 monthly from Quebec and ~60 every three months from Ottawa), which is certainly more than I spent on sales taxes at the time.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Morsi was a heavy-handed theocratic rear end in a top hat but uh I'm not sure I'd compare his regime to widespread factional violence in Lybia, the insurgency in Afghanistan, or ISIS in Iraq/Syria. Maybe I'm naive but Egypt looked like it was on its way to developing a culture of democracy (with large scale protests against military rule followed by large scale protests against theocracy) until Sisi put a stop to all that nonsense.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Do it ironically posted:

You're being intentionally obtuse, one of the reasons why DnD is a joke, you can't actually debate and discuss things unless it fits into the left wing SJW hive mind.

Are you trolling? None of the articles you posted are about a (your words) "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS" (only one sentence in the first article refers neutrally to a "downtown Calgary mosque"), and when someone asks you how the hell that demonstrates a "known islamic centre that is radicalizing canadians to go over and fight for ISIS", you accuse them of being intentionally obtuse and go on a tirade against D&D?

How stupid are you?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

At least global warming couldn't possibly be as horrifying and destructive as the vicious positive feedback loop that spiraled into several pages of useless food and beer chat.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Hey guys you absolutely need to know this: I ate or drank a thing once and it was good

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I wonder what mandatory integration milestones we ought to put forward. Perhaps a new immigrant should be able to expertly weave tabarnak into sentences by the second month? Be acceptably fast on ice skates by the fourth, and able to play hockey within a year?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Also calling Quebec's Liberals progressives is a bit fantastic. They're the CPC on economic issues, the Liberals on social issues (except less progressive), and the Alberta PCs on corruption.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Sure but the Quebec Liberals are actually conservative. It's not for fun and jokes that Charest's name was even floated as a potential CPC leader.

Also I'm pretty sure I've said I hate the Quebec Liberals too often to count in this thread.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I guess it could be said that the CPC is "more progressive" than Christian Heritage, but that doesn't make them progressives.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My main gripe was with this:

Ikantski posted:

I don't understand the fascination with conservative facebookers and saskatchewan though, they have zero power. We have a federal Liberal majority. BC, Ontario, Quebec, NS, NB and PEI all Liberal majorities. NDP majorities in Alberta and Manitoba. You've done it, progressives make every major decision in the country now no matter how much conservatives bellyache on facebook. :toot:

Sure, I have no problem with the idea that the Liberal brand is without meaning, but "progressive" isn't.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I wonder how hard it would be to string the RCMP into paying my transit passes and telecom bills while staying just short of incriminating myself in any way

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Lassitude posted:

You have to be pretty loving stupid to think he called someone an "NDP horde". Is he campaigning on being a level 60 Alliance character?

Not as stupid as you need to be in order to think that the only plausible way to say the word "whore" is while leaning forward, balling your fists, and almost spitting.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Gorewar posted:

Don't these assholes get massive subsidies on their crops as well? It's like we're all supporting this way of life that doesn't make sense anymore.

edit: another brilliant line from facebook - "it's not child labor, it's called chores!"

Yeah I remember when I had to put the dishes in the dishwasher I had to watch out for an accident that could take a limb or my life, just like farm boys

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The argument summarized by "it's different here" is a political argument, not a logistical one. It's usually trying to say that it can't be implemented because assholes will politically block it, and the correct answer is to flush the assholes, not the policy plan.

If someone has an actual logistical argument to make against a certain policy plan, they'll just make it; there's no need for vague nonsense if you actually know what the gently caress you're talking about.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Cocoham posted:

As someone that barely knows anything about mincome, can someone explain why anyone would work a borderline minimum wage job over taking advantage of mincome? If the choices are work are 0 hours for $800, or work 80 hours for $1000, I can't imagine much working those hours for such little gain. Wouldn't that than raise the price of living, which would force whatever the mincome level is to raise?

There are plenty of ways to implement mincome, and this is the stupidest one. The smart proposals usually involve a gradual clawback rather than a 1:1 clawback like you're assuming. For example, you could simply treat mincome as actual income and essentially tax it back from the rich.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

quote:

Create a prosperity strategy based on commercializing high-margin Canadian ideas and intellectual property. #BecauseIts2016, and IP is where the big wealth is.

– Jim Balsillie, former co-CEO of BlackBerry

This is the first sentence I read or hear from this dude and I already hate him to death

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Jan posted:

oh gee i make 36k a year this is totes going to apply to me rite!??

People only heard "tax cuts for the middle class" or "tax cuts for those who need it the most," and then made (in my view, reasonable) assumptions as to whom that would target. I talked to my dad the day before the election (which was my birthday) and he didn't have the dimmest clue that the Liberal tax plan was a $670 tax cut for him -- he thought he wouldn't qualify as middle class making some 90k/yr.

I hate to be that kind of cynical dickwad, but it doesn't seem like anybody actually gives a poo poo about policy, at least compared to tone and style of rhetoric.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

There's nothing wrong with beer chat so long as we're talking about policy and not "i drank this hipster brew and it tasted good/bad"

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Yes just go sign up for a code dojo and hang out at a hackspace for a couple months instead. Thanks for your valuable insight Peter Thiel

I'll take that over some shithead upper class lawyer whenever

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

B-b-b-but he's secretly single-sourcing a contract to buy mittens for refugees!!

I'm a whole lot more interested in policy than publicity. I'm still reserving judgment on the refugee sourcing issue -- I guess I can tolerate bullshit national security claims if they're being used to sidestep bullshit NAFTA obligations -- but government secrecy weighs a lot more than Trudeau is Being a Good Guy Magazine vol.11

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

THC posted:

Holy poo poo :shepface:

Perhaps the police could use that statement as evidence, on the basis that anyone who gets lavished with praise by Christy Clark probably belongs in jail.

Ikantski posted:

Enh, I kind of agree with the guy. At some point, you need to look at minimum wage as a social safety net that all companies should contribute to, not just companies that happen to employ minimum wage earners.

eg. I run a tech company. This guy runs a tomato company. Each business nets $100k at the end of the year. There is a problem though, people in low income brackets can't afford food and housing. We increase minimum wage by 40%. My software company is completely unaffected. This guy's costs go up by 400k. Why is it just the responsibility of the tomato guy to fix this problem?

In Ontario, the provincial tax rate is 5% for income under 40k, in Alberta it's 10% up to 125k. They could lower the tax rate for low earners and make it up by increasing the tax rate on high earners and corporate profits to distribute that social responsibility. It seems a little unfair to focus all the responsibility onto a small set of businesses. As the tech guy though, I like it but I feel a little dirty about it

I actually agree with this, and I'm in favor of replacing the minimum wage with a mincome or UBI scheme. It's unclear whether it would actually drive down the labor costs of minimum wage businesses (people might just pursue an education without working a no-skill job, causing market pressures that drive no-skill wages upward), but you make a good argument for why the minimum wage is unfair from a business perspective.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I hate to be cynical but I have no doubt that, in the case of a referendum, at the very least 80% of the people who show up at the polls will be unable to correctly describe the functioning of any one alternative to FPTP.

Canvassing and knock door-ing warped me. I can't be optimistic anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Helsing posted:

Do you not see the irony here? The Liberals are arguing that first past the post elections don't legitimately represent the popular will, but at the same time they're arguing that winning only 39% of the seats in an election entitles them to unilaterally transform the electoral system without any further consultation of the electorate.

It's a bit suspicious to both campaign against the system as illegitimate and yet to claim that the system gave you a mandate for sweeping change.

To be fair, if you add up the NDP votes as being presumably in support of electoral reform, you can perceive a significant majority as opposed to 39%. That said, the NDP had a specific option in mind (and, secondarily, an explicit commitment to proportional representation), so all bets are off if the Liberals propose IRV.