Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

brucio posted:

Double post, but interesting thoughts from Peter Stoffer:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova-scotia/peter-stoffer-ndp-name-change-1.3289821

I think becoming the Democrat Party is a bad idea, but separate wings of the party itself could be positive.

If nothing else, this could make it easier for the provincial-level NDPs and Liberals to merge, as needed (i.e. Alberta, probably..?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

The provincial level liberal party in Alberta is currently on life support - why would the NDP want to merge instead of letting them fold up and join?

I'm probably just having nostalgia from the pre-Notley era, and I don't know enough about other provinces' situations to talk about those.

Is the whole "unite the left" A Thing at the provincial level elsewhere? I assumed it was in some places but not others. Doesn't Manitoba or something have a New/Green Alliance party?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

It's definitely a thing that's been talked about - it might even happen for the most part if the liberal party continues to fade away. I'm constantly amused at how badly people outside Alberta misread that election - there was only one party that ran from the left in most ridings, the liberal party's leader had just stepped down because Raj Sherman is an idiot, and the right was pretty split by the PC's and Wildrose. It's not going to happen again.

e: goddamn it I missed that you're in Alberta too. Sorry.

No worries :hfive:
But yeah, just looking at the votes results, it appears the ALP pretty much didn't have any rural candidates.

What are the odds that WR and PC get together before the next election? Any chance they'd win, or does it depend how soon they get that ironed out?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

The PC's are in the process of dying out, if anything faster than the liberals. They were extremely hurt fiscally by the limit on corporate donations, and overall they're in heaps of trouble.

e: Let me be clear: that's the absolute best outcome of the election.

Yeah, my read on it is kinda that the Alberta Party might supplant the PCs and ALP at the centre. I don't know a lot about them, or how their momentum is going.
But i think it'd be interesting/weird for Alberta to have only 1 of the 3 big federal parties represented provincially. :stare:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Baudin posted:

Ignore the names: the wildrose party at this point pretty much is the CPC.

Well, yeah, but I mean ~it's fun to pretend~

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

MrChips posted:

I don't support weed legalisation because when the revolution comes everybody will be too baked to rise up off the couch let alone rise up and smash the bourgeoisie

THE MAN is trying to keep us down, with legal :420:

:tinfoil:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

jm20 posted:

The problem is not with Notley or oil prices, it's with Alberta's lack of revenue generating tools outside of energy royalties.

A thousand times, this.

Oil royalties should basically just go to the Heritage Fund, and every other form of tax should pay for operational stuff.
Now is the time to unfuck the system, because oil probably isn't going any lower, and if it somehow does, that's not actually going to make it any worse for Albertans.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Albertans would literally form mobs in the street complete with pitchforks and torches if they just went straight to that. I dont think you understand how thin the wire is that the ANDP is trying to walk along. Dont forget, they want to remain in power after this is well so as horrible as it is, its probably just better to ease the province into it instead of going full Denmark.

Yeah that could happen :rolleyes:

:qq:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

We can only hope!

Hopefully the rockets will be integrated into busses and trains and be used to shoot the drunken reprobates, beggars, and people with poor personal hygiene to someplace where they don't bother everyone. This would increase the appeal of public transit dramatically!

I'm sure this has everything to do with you being a downtown Calgary person.
Pro-tip: gently caress downtown Calgary

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

So British Columbia is a barrel of laughs these days.

quote:

"Humourously I speculated that maybe the premier made the decision in the midst of her morning shower on the way to UBCM because she didn't have anything else to say,"

This made me have impure thoughts about Christy Clark.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Well if that is what you want, you will just have to start to support becoming a republic.

:troll: wow what the gently caress are you, a Politics 101 prof?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Slightly Toasted posted:

So, PC and reform pretty much.

Well duh?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

The only way out for the CPC at this point is to swing slightly to the left on social issues while maintaining hardcore economic conservatism, and to silence the loonies who go on about gays burning in a lake of fire. If they don't elect a leader that's willing and able to do that, they are going to be very hosed for a very long time.

The CPC has basically been about paying enough lip-service to "lake of fire" conservatives to maintain the western/Reform vote-base, while basically being not-Liberal enough to get the conservative and/or swing voters in Ontario, and form a majority that way. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone, but I figured I'd mention it.

I think my point is, Reform was always a western version of the BQ; a regional party that people in other parts strongly disliked. I'm pretty sure short of a whole lot of people dying off or spontaneously having a radical change in their social views, we're leading into another round of western alienation, particularly if Trudeau fucks anything up in the slightest, or even if he enacts national legislation that is regionally unpopular. I'm not sure anything in the platform of the Liberals would fit that description, but I also don't make a point of keeping my finger on the pulse of "lake of fire" conservatism, so I dunno..

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't know about that, though. The fact that Trudeau has gained seats in Alberta makes me think that perhaps (urban) Alberta is moving past its history. The Western base isn't what it once was. We're still a bunch of rednecks, but I think we're becoming rednecks that want nice things and don't care if two guys decide to gently caress.

Yeah, like metro-Calgary is pretty progressive, but also ultra white-collar and big-business. For a lot of Calgarians, conservatism isn't about "hatin' the gays" (which seems to be the drum you always bang) but it's more of "we cheer for this team" kinda thing, or like I said, it's the business-types who want lower taxes and poo poo like that. To put Calgary's supposed growing progressiveness into perspective, I think the only reason the Wildrose didn't win any ridings in Calgary in the last provincial election, is because we're the only place that actually believed voting PC was the only way to stop the NDP. Case in point: with an NDP majority already in place, Prentice's riding went handily Wildrose in the byelection.

The more interesting consideration, I think, is if the ANDP fucks up bad; if anything, the election showed that at the federal level, the right-wing vote is still pretty solid. If there's an Alberta backlash against left-ish parties in general, the federal Liberal gains in Calgary might not last through the next federal election.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

I agree. The difference is that I think the CPC is going to be in the weeds if they elect a less savvy leader than Harper, which they probably will.

Jason Kenney is gonna be so bad :negative:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Leofish posted:

e: Also, on the subject of refugees and health care, I saw a comment that wasn't entirely terrible.

Yeah, this is what I refer to as "the Homeless Veteran Strawman"
Don't get me wrong, homeless veterans are totally A Thing, and that's lovely, but people only ever use them as an excuse for why we can't have "living wage" (particularly in America) or let in Syrian refugees.

They never mention actually what they're doing to solve the homeless veteran problem. Answer: jack poo poo

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Helsing posted:

A Conservative party that tries to run as Blue Liberals doesn't strike me as any more likely to succeed than the NDP has been by running as Red Tories.

Feel free to disagree, but my read on the PCs during the Joe Clark era-ish was pretty much them trying to do this.
It's like "the liberals already exist and they actually win, so why would anyone vote for you?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

vyelkin posted:

For whatever reason it's very uncommon for Canadian politicians to migrate from provincial to federal politics. You see them move down from federal to provincial fairly regularly (usually, I would imagine, after realizing they'll never get a shot at the top job but they could still be a premier or provincial cabinet minister) but it's very rare for premiers or provincial party leaders, even successful and popular ones, to try and move up.

My guess is it's related to bilingualism.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

Tough on crime: a terrible mistake until it's applied to people I don't like.

See also: free speech. "Everyone should have it except stupid people who I don't like!"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

peter banana posted:

I wish today was an opportunity to talk about Canadians forced into service through conscription. Or homeless veterans. Or veterans who can't get the healthcare they need. Or sexual assault and harassment in the forces. Or the fact that war is a racket designed to redirect wealth to corporate interests. Or the human collateral damage to war. Or the fact that the Canadian military was beholden to British Imperial forces for most of its history which put people into concentration camps in the Boer War. But I guess all that is "disrespectful." Let's have a stoic old man in uniform, misty-eyed and "thank" veterans for their service so we can ignore them the other 364 days of the year.

Anyway, #lestweforget

I absolutely agree with like all of that, aside from not really knowing/caring about the Boer War; European powers were a bunch of dicks and we fell under that purview for a long time. I think militarily at least, the western powers have improved over the years w/r/t to trying to minimize civilian casualties and stuff (if failingly) particularly contrasted with how Russia is presumably conducting their operations in Syria, for example.

I think Trudeau is probably the politician to address stuff like homelessness, healthcare, and sexual assault/harassment in the military. I totally believe that the military serves an invaluable function in any society, but its members still need to be made decent human beings who can integrate into normal society. It looks like the Liberals are actually going to look into those high-profile harassment cases within the RCMP, so here's hoping..?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Let's talk about the veterans who are pure human garbage, no not the Somalian airborne shitheels. I'm talking about a whole other echelon of loving stupid.

Canadians who volunteered to fight for the Americans in Vietnam. Lol gently caress you guys and I hope you dumb jock fucks never get a cent of my taxes for treatment of whatever you're now whining about. gently caress you and gently caress off

Well, depending on who you believe, there are a couple kinds of Canadian vietnam veterans (each in smaller and smaller number)
  • Guys who straightup joined the US army (which, congrats you can go be a US military problem now)
  • Canadian military who were there "unofficially" and attached to US units or w/e
Depending on who you believe, there are some who will tell you that around the time of the vietnam war (and earlier, one presumes) Canada's military was essentially hired out as mercenaries to other countries because a) they were quite effective, and b) it was quite profitable for the government. But those same people will tell you that a lot of this falls under the "Official Secrets Act" which I honestly don't know if it's even a thing that actually exists.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

I think one of the many reasons for this is because the criminal justice system isn't only about punishing/reforming the perpetrator but restoring damage to the victims.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH BAAAHAHAHAHAHA

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The funny thing is "Theft under $5000" effectively does lump all thefts together that fit the definition. Like, as long as you're not claiming to have a weapon, in which case it becomes "armed robbery."

And of course, the court proceedings/sentencing skews towards "treat every theft under $5000 as a stolen candy bar."

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2022

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I think the central disagreement between the 2 sides of this discussion is that one side says "YEAH well not according to the LAW :smug:" while the other side is "hey, gently caress the rules, because they don't produce the results that I think they should."

Like, that's where I'm at: I fundamentally do not care what the criminal code says; if I think it produces bullshit results then I want things to change. No, I don't purport to have all the answers as to how, or to have thought through every possible corner case, but I don't think that makes saying "the status quo is poo poo" somehow an invalid opinion.

Yeesh.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2022

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Write to your MP then; they're the ones who write the law.

See, and that's a lot better response. I appreciate that. :)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

"The status quo is poo poo" is a pretty unless opinion though, unless you have some sort of credible alternative, or even a well reasoned method of improvement you'd like to see pursued.

A job for better men than I, then?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

Well, the real question is: do you want the sentences to be modified because it "feels right" or because you imagine it will produce some sort of benefit beyond making you, and presumably some other people, feel good? Do we really want a criminal justice system that gives significant consideration to our gut feelings? I, for one, do not, and I'm happy to say I've evolved quite a bit on this issue over the past few years.

Like, if a bunch of people look at a ruling and say "wait what, why did the judge do that?" then something's wrong. You can try and illegitamize that by chalking it up to "tummyfeels" but the laws and the judges who weigh the rulings are (as I understood it? gently caress, maybe I'm wrong) should reflect the general will of the common person -- or their rulings should pass the "smell test" or whatever phrasing you wanna use.

I don't think saying "hey we have these rules FOR A REASON" is of any use, if the result is still bad.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

jm20 posted:

When you have Conrad Black going to prison for a longer term (US I know) than people who commit vehicular manslaughter, do you think this is fair? Do you think justice is served when we convict someone for 4-5 years, and they are out in 3 after they've reformed?

See, I actually want to see people be reformed, but that's often double-speak for "keeping people in jail forever is expensive, so everyone gets out eventually, gently caress it." That's an injustice to both the convict and society as a whole (and particularly any victims.)

Now, I don't think everyone can be reformed but apparently we don't like to hang people or give them lethal injections or the electric chair, so we're back at "keeping people in jail forever is expensive, so everyone gets out eventually, gently caress it" except it's also applying to the worst of the worst. It's not an excuse to lock up everyone forever, but why are people getting let out who aren't rehabilitated, or can't/won't be?

It also bothers me that "well criminals just become even worse in prison" as if that's something we could never change or improve on.

The whole criminal justice system is a giant poo poo sandwich.

edit: Also this :can:

PittTheElder posted:

Concurrent sentences

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 13, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

you can't have it both ways. prison is either a punishment or a place where offenders can be rehabilitated

Eh this is basically semantics; if you're a threat to society, you shouldn't be out in it. Whether or not you can be rehabilitated determines whether you're in what currently constitutes a "prison" or in " p.d0t's pipe-dream rehab" but you should still be in "the system," whatever form that takes.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
My anecdotal example is from when I worked in loss prevention, and our agency arrested the same rear end in a top hat(s) over 100 times because they "only" stole a ~$500 cartful of steak/replacement razorblades/AA batteries, which -> theft under $5000 -> judge goes "this poo poo is not worth my time, ~community measures~" for someone who has clearly decided that stealing is their career.

There's a difference between that person, and the kid who steals a candy bar, and a person who steals food because they're impoverished due to addictions and/or mental health issues. But by and large, the end result is ... well, not "the same" but usually the person who's the rotten apple gets a slap on the wrist and/or doesn't get their behaviour-pattern corrected (and we don't wanna lock em up and throw away the key, because :10bux:), and the person who needs emotional/psychological help doesn't end up getting it, either.

Like, I don't know what the law expects judges to do regarding this poo poo, or what powers they even have to do anything, I just know it's failing people left-right-and-centre, so the system needs to change.

I guess my answer is, I want the system to actually fix broken people, whatever shape that takes. And I don't want a one-size-fits-all bullshit solution. But if someone can't be fixed, then they shouldn't be let out; like, what's the perceived benefit? :confused:

I also think we can do a lot better by victims, but my thoughts are less refined on that front.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 9, 2022

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Agree, if anything support measures should help ensure they don't want to solely appease their lizard-brains.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I find it a little odd the amount of time that article spends on being like "hey this is how conservative people voted on abortion stuff back in the day." Like, I'm not sure how that's supposed to be seen as objective and impartial news reporting, regardless on how you view the validity of the claims that it isn't some backdoor way of trying to get the abortion debate reopened.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So apparently Jason Kenney is gonna run for the Alberta PC leadership.

I feel like there's a good chance that if he can unite the PCs and Wildrose, the former will just bleed off support to the Alberta Party (or possibly the Liberals) and we'll kind of end up back where we started.

E: to wit, Sandra Jansen says she will leave PCs if Kenney wins.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 5, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Vic Boss posted:

Half a year ago I switched to Virgin Mobile and haven't looked back. Never lost reception, internet's fast, price is $5 more per month.

:hfive:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Is it??

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

St. Dogbert posted:

Between that, gas prices, and the other drivers, my decision not to drive looks better all the time.

:hfive:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Turbans.

Soccer.

:can:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The thing that seems to get bandied about with sales taxes is that "at least people visiting the province are paying into it too," whereas income tax is just "this is the cost of living here, deducted from your paycheque."

:shrug:

edit: VVV :stare: gross

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 24, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Just get rid of the monarchy altogether and have the Prime Minister be head of state and head of government since functionally that's what it is anyway because governors-general haven't rejected our PMs' requests since the King-Byng affair so we just waste a ton of money on having a monarchy and maintaining a governor-general and hosting royal visits. The monarchy is a vestigial organ that we pay actual real world taxpayer money to maintain and also I don't want Charles' face on every coin and $20 bill.

Don't get rid of the monarchy and replace it with an elected president. Don't get rid of the monarchy and still have appointed governors-general hanging around serving at the pleasure of the PM. Just get rid of the monarchy because it is a useless waste of money.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

large hands posted:

we need to ban back yard pools and trampolines, think of the children

And yet, I can't fill my bathtub up all the way, for my own safety. :canada: