Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

It's totally tubular that a whole lot of people are going to lose their homes and livelihoods thanks to financial mumbo-jumbo that benefits few people, but mostly the ultrarich.

I honestly feel that a lot of the "gently caress these people, they're idiots for reasons anyway" sentiment is a defence mechanism against acknowledging the true horror of it all for all the times it gets posted

Dreylad posted:

jesus. Andrew Coyne is not good

Yeah, maybe I'm just getting humourless in my old age but even knowing what a joke the NDP is gently caress what this pampered little poo poo thinks about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

CanPol Megathread: Because Canadians are everything CI says we are.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

That's exactly what the canpol weed mentat is saying

can 'weed mentat' be a thing now

it is by weed alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the cannibis oil that thoughts acquire speed, the shirts acquire cheeto stains the stains become a warning it is by weed alone I set my mind in motion

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You know who's got all kinds of money to pay up to speak to these assholes? drat near nobody worth listening to

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

For the good of the thread everyone just put PT6A on ignore

I did this years ago and I really wish most of you would just stop engaging with him. Don't you people know the story of the Scorpion and the Tortoise? It's in his nature to be that way and looking for deeper meaning where there is none leads only to madness and shitposting

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

Watch the movie, "Elysium".

If you take out the elaborate space colony and magical medical pods that movie is a pretty accurate description of what the future will probably look like for most people, while the wealthiest retreat to guarded enclaves of some kind

e: but first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkTAlajIAF4

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

chemtrails technically reverse global warming because they block out the sun

There's someone in my city that keeps putting up stickers that say "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SPRAYING?" and a link to some chemtrail conspiracy site. In some ways the GTA just never fully escaped the 90's

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
No one cares, tough guy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The fact that many of these people losing their homes are garbage piss babies makes it easier to deal with the human tragedy of the whole thing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lassitude posted:

Wow this is no time to get political, don't you see there are people going through a tragedy? Everything in Alberta is made of gold until, like, 6 - 8 months from now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6QdY6YDfj0&t=26s

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The oil facilities are in no danger anyway since they all have massive cleared firebreaks and dedicated firefighting crews

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

So what kind of music should the CBC play?

Rush 2112 on repeat to meet cancon requirements

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think the only way to truly combat religiousness is shitloads of science education from a very early age. Jehovah looks like such a petty, small thing when you grow up knowing what we're fortunate to know about the universe these days.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how it is now, but when I was in public school in the 90s if you had any difficulties with math their only answer was to give you more bookwork and tell you to get a tutor. If you could read and write well but had trouble with numbers they just decided you were lazy and then you were even more hosed.

I don't know what my point is here but gently caress ontario's teachers and their math curricula, where nobody apparently knows what the gently caress.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

Maybe it's different because I'm old but I remember in Elementary you'd end up with 3-4 teachers, each covering 2 subjects, and they'd each assign 'just a little bit' of homework per subject.

Which would amount to a fuckton of work, even if it was only 15-20 mins of homework per subject.

I also remember how thanks to being assigned a half a dozen subjects a day all with homework you'd end up carrying an entire big as your average kid backpack home stuffed with lovely textbooks.

For some reason the french textbooks always included illustrations that seemed to be specifically designed to be easily defaced in the most hilarious ways possible.

I typically only had one teacher at a time in elementary but they'd assign a couple of hours of busywork every night regardless of whatever we got done in class that day, and our backpacks would indeed be stuffed full of textbooks and worksheets that half the time nobody bothered completing because taking the participation hit in your marks and getting yelled at by your parents at report card time was better than completely burning out at age loving 11 because the by the time you take your eyes off the papers each night it's loving dark out

High school wasn't much better, but each course's teacher would assign a massive project right near the end of each semester that would be worth an absurd chunk of your final grade, and of course they'd all do it and have them due at the exact same time and pre-emptively poo poo on everyone by saying they of course they weren't responsible for what the other classes teachers assigned you.

There are days I look back and seriously wonder if the whole loving thing isn't seriously designed just to break people

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Not everybody who lives in the suburbs are oblivious middle class trashholes with too many Premium Luxury Items like sport utility vehicles that spill over into the street even though they've got a two car garage that sits empty most of the time

but most are and there's no way to stop these assholes without stepping on the rest of us

fuuuuuuuck

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

The take away here being, for me at least, that it really is remarkable how inclined Canadians are to see our perpetual state of national mediocrity as some kind of natural order that could never be changed or altered. And the ones who do see room for improvement are mostly just imagining how much more efficient we'd be if our leaders chugged more Free Market cool aid.

I wouldn't be so surprised, I recognize that type of commentary too. Everyone spends their lives bombarded by that "free market" crap, either outright stated or implied in every news broadcast and in every paper both here and from the US. The only reasons I don't buy into it are because a)I've always been relatively poor compared to my neighbours and b) I grew up reading enough sci fi dystopias to know one when I see one. If your personal story arc goes from 'the pink ranger gives me funny feelings in my pants>a bunch of school your parents pay for>do nothing job>gently caress off to alberta' then you're probably just going to repeat whatever dumb poo poo you've heard your whole life.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Opposition parties and their supporters need to understand that being marginally different than cartoonishly self interested (at best) assholes doesn't really make you appealing to anybody but pampered know nothing dipshits who can afford to argue points of political minutiae like nerds argue over comic book canon, and other less fortunate people kept just as gullible and ignorant enough to buy the marketing. It's great for example that the Liberals aren't muzzling scientists like the Cons did, and we can actually talk about climate change now. Will anything helpful be done about it? Probably not because historically Liberals do nothing but Lib and the NDP are too spineless and browbeaten to even pretend like they'd act.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
this is all so pathetic

I hope everyone involved dies somehow

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Butcher posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Tom?

How are the NDP this bad at politics? This is their whole job. They have been doing it for their whole careers. I don't loving get it.

Because anyone worth listening to has spent decades being marginalized by the party, the media and the entire political establishment, and these gutless, oblivious fucks are all that's left

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

THC posted:

Canada Post has a new line of Star Trek anniversary stamps. I had almost forgotten how Canada sometimes likes to claim an American TV series as part of its cultural heritage because it starred William Shatner

Michael Eddington was the Canadian hero we deserved

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Are kids having vehicles in highschool a thing in Canada?

All my middle class friends in high school had vehicles. The rest of us walked.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ZShakespeare posted:

We should all just hum the hockey night in canada theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZMnF1VNlE

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there anybody worthwhile working in the NDP anymore because it seems like anybody who would make a good leader is hilariously disinterested in the position

e: I'm voting for Helsing and his reaffirming decent into cynical shitposting

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you own a gun you should be required by law to wear a battery powered sound pack that produces banjo music and or Nickleback's "Photograph" whenever you have your gun with you or buy ammunition or parts for it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pixelante posted:

If you watch Flashpoint, you'd think Toronto has a bomb threat every other week.

If you watch that show you'd also assume there is an elite squad of cops that is specially trained to have the incredible super power of empathy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

I don't know if I'd rather comment on the irony of protesting until a certain group is excluded to promote inclusiveness or how quickly the gays gave up the gay police float even right after Orlando.

Police are not for minorities or poor or working class people so their "inclusion" in our events is sort of lovely

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've never had any real problems with Canada Post, the only time I've ever been dicked around was with FedEx and Purolator

nationalize everything, jail the CEOs and execute their offspring as a warning

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That's not how you spell Riker

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

Something something NDP aligning with nutcases, something something complete

muahahaha

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ci and Helsing are slowly merging into a gestalt entity

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
because they're the ones most likely to start an armed uprising within the next 50 years

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
it's not like it won't be interesting to watch which was largely my point

the drone footage would be cool

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I fully understand the need to look for something positive when it comes to our leadership but I seriously doubt that Trudeau or most of the people he associates with gives much of a flying gently caress about anybody making less than six figures that they can't use for a feel good photo op, regardless of their sexual orientation or minority status

So every time these pricks show up at things like Pride trying to look like one of the "good guys" it rings just a little hollow, especially when you consider that without the cartoonishly evil Conservatives to differentiate them, the Liberals would probably still be sitting around setting up committees to "look into the feasibility of gay marriage at this time" or some poo poo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If Trudeau were half as clever as he wants the rest of us to think he is, he'd supply Saudi Arabia's gay population with an equal number of flintlocks armoured vehicles.

Seriously, him marching in pride and poo poo like it is just propaganda. gently caress you if you know what our government's doing anyway and you just don't want to or can't deal with the implications.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I cannot comprehend how you do not seem to understand the significance of the prime minister taking part in Pride Parades for the first time. Leave Saudi Arabia poo poo out of this, it's possible to look at more than one thing at once.

yeah, it's so significant that PM Selfie McGunrunner shows up to the party now that it's an easy way to score political points from the gormless fucks who vote for him.

It's not so much that people "can't look at more than one thing at once" as it is the guy an rear end in a top hat for the things he does and this informs our low opinion of him

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you're coming to CanPol looking to feel good about our country you may as well gently caress off right back to your favourite chair and fall asleep watching CTV right now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is this another mentally ill fool that they goaded into doing something stupid so that some useless rear end in a top hat could score a sweet promotion or are we giving those clownsuit wearing fucks the benefit of the doubt now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I put PT6A on ignore years ago because he's a stupid, childish little poo poo who adds nothing to the conversation except a piercing, shrill reminder that right leaning individuals all share the same awful traits, differing only in degree

The only posts more worthless than his are the occasional "well, you lot are all hosed because of The Goon Hivemind/You're all leftist lackeys!/whatever" diatribes from posters whose identities I can't be bothered to remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A vital function to which you are indispensable