Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't drive and have never been on a plane because I'm poor

I want to believe it's going to be "fun" (or at least somewhat satisfying) watching so many of the middle class get brought down to my level one way or another in the years to come but aside from the hollow pettiness of it intellectually I know I'm not going to be one of those who get to fiddle while Rome burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Franks Happy Place posted:

Commercial scale carbon capture (for fuel, nanofibers, and plastics) is already economically viable and will be implemented on a huge scale in the next fifty years, the same way solar has taken off.

yeah and we'll all upload into cool transforming robot bodies and I'll get to be a fighter jet and shoot lazer beams out my rear end in a top hat. blockchain.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zapplez posted:

How can you definitively say our world is going to be worse? All signs are pointing that way from an environment standpoint but I believe you are discounting the human spirit not to mention how much technology and our way of life has changed. We live completely different lives than we did 100 years ago, insanely different than 1000 years ago. Hell, even 15 years ago we lived quite different lives.

Call me naive but I am still holding out we get to Star Trek civilization status in a few hundred years. And hopefully we kept some Patrick Stewart DNA to clone him back.

There's optimistic and then there's "I don't have a loving clue what I'm talking about"

There's a slim -very slim- chance we end up in a future that vaguely resembles something like The Expanse if we're lucky but even if I had a real choice, I wouldn't make a baby now because in the meantime it's unavoidable that everything is going to be much, much harder and sadder for them than it was for me or my parents.

Jesus loving christ even in Star Trek everything goes completely to poo poo in this time period followed by a nuclear war how do you completely miss everything I don't even

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

It is very striking to me that in the liberal imagination fascism or authoritarianism is only bad in the abstract sense that it will hurt other people and that's obviously not good when it can be avoided. I'm honestly kind of bowled over by how many people here seem to genuinely expect our government will become very authoritarian in protecting Canadian boarders but not degenerate into a really dysfunctional, corrupt and unequal society domestically. Like, a lot of affluent liberal types clearly don't understand that the drift into authoritarian xenophobia is going to hurt them. Even when they want to stop it, they treat it like this really vague conceptual problem not a visceral threat to their future well being.

The tyranny Athens imposed on the outer reaches of empire it finally imposed on itself

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why are people in this thread acting like nobody should care about this, what the actual gently caress

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

Just stop posting in this thread.

Deliberately making GBS threads up this thread because it's filled with assholes doesn't make it better and starts grating at you after a while. Trust me, I know. I'm a much happier person for just not posting and only glancing at this thread once in a while.

You're better than this and tbh if you focused yourself you could actually do something good, but not here. Nothing good comes from participating in this thread.

Helsing is one of the better and more informative posters in Canpol and it would suck if he stopped posting and left it to be overrun by the kind of spineless windbags that are fine with "oh my grandpa collaborated with the nazis but actually I'mma say he's a hero! Also I'm a politician lol"

conservatives are fascists and liberals are collaborators, it's true it's true

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I was browsing youtube for non nazi material (lol) and look nikki ashton showed up in a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eXmdr2vVnI

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Because this guy had Abby Martin on one time doesn't excuse the parade of human garbage he uncritically has on his show the rest of the time, gently caress sakes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I say straight up commie poo poo to my min wage co workers these days and people agree with me so while I'm not getting my hopes up, attitudes are loving changing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Like I said, I work retail with people aged 30+ and under and these people are receptive to direct leftist rhetoric and tonight we went home giggling about the communist conspiracy we are going to enact, people are willing and ready for this poo poo we just have to find a way to either start a new party or clean the trash out of the NDP's leadership

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hellsing, before you come in and tell us off again for getting mad about this and somehow galvanizing conservatives, I'll let you know that I passed word of this around to my friends who are still in university and we're not letting this bullshit slide. I don't know how long it will take but I'm not letting this fat fucker ruin my life.

What are you going to do about it

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Ontario has to be the biggest loving trash fire in this country right now - and until you all set fire to Fords yard and general strike the streets of Toronto into gridlock for a month, poo poo ain't gonna change.

'course most people are still too comfy to bother getting active like that.

I heard someone mention a general strike at work a few weeks ago. Out of someone else's mouth, not mine, unprompted. Things will have to get worse first I'm sure but there is still some hope people might get pissed enough to do something, I've seen a noticeable shift in people's attitudes at least in my own immediate surroundings.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

Ive never traveled outside North America and never seen a resort or cruise because Im poor like most Canadians.

You are all quickly rising the guillotine list.

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if you think going to university means you know your head from your rear end these days

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hello comrades I am a working poor uneducated 30-something living in Vancouver. I vote NDP and am frequently irrationally angry. The doctors are making me do stress reduction. Clearly it is time to get back into CanPol. This might at least be better than the CBC comments section(THOSE people need the guillotine).

I am also an uneducated poor 30 something who votes NDP out of desperation and I deal with my barely containable boundless rage against the upper classes and their bullshit by doing my best to radicalize my fellow min wage retail co workers into raging leftists so that when things inevitably deteriorate further we may actually be in a position to do something to defend ourselves from our capitalist overlords

If you're going to yell, yell commie poo poo until they haul you off the stage by your neck with a cane because eventually someone will hear you and then you'll be surprised how many people loudly agree, even in the darkest pits of the 905

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The NDP's leadership needs to be (figuratively!) decapitated for the party to have a chance at being relevant or useful to the rest of us

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
whatever good things the liberals do in their desperation at the last possible minute will be immediately undone by the following conservative government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You're a loving baby, if babies were belligerent little shits

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)